Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening - can plant quality be cheated?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Several Simmers have perfect garden rooms on the Gallery to download which would be the absolute fastest way. As @Hoverael shared, plants available at the Spice Festival and Romance Festival are supposed to be perfect. They even say they are perfect. But, it's been my experience once your Sim harvests them, they change to normal in their inventory. Perhaps it's a glitch only in my game, but it's been that way for a long, long time and I don't use CC or Mods.

Same here.

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    On another note... is the Perfect Basil crops bugged? My sim can harvest the basil plant, but the crops in her inventory can not be moved (cursor will not show a hand), and the item info panel (telling value, quality etc) is not showing either. All other crops works as normal, and Basil normal quality used to work, too.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I musrt admit I might have misunderstood the term "growth time", it's easier to understand now that I started the project. I thought different species took different amount of hours to develop from a harvest to the next spawning of crops. But I now realize the growth time means from planting to mature (or first crops spawned). It's very difficult to tell the exact hours from game play because they all seem to spawn at 5 AM and if the plant is not old enough that spawning will wait 24hrs. To most gamers this detail might be less interesting anyway, because if you leave your lot to play another lot, the hour count will probably get affected. Anyway - most scientific projects deal with a ideal setting, don't they? :)

Ah, okay, I can see how that would be confusing, no worries. :) It's interesting that @sirguylittle has plants producing crops twice a day. To my knowledge that has never happened in my game since the Seasons gardening update patch. It happened before the patch, but not afterward. My plants very, very rarely produce 10 harvestables everyday either. Okay, Sir, fess up, what's your secret to getting such a magical garden? :p

Huh, I haven't had any problems with my basil plants. I've had that inventory glitch though. It usually is fixed after I close the game for the night and open that save again the next day. You might also want to try repairing the game if that doesn't work.

@dearie_blossom Okay, so it isn't just my game then, I wondered about that. Thanks for letting me know. *sigh* It's a good thing I can find a workaround for most bugs/glitches in this game and still have fun. There's so many of them that never seem to get fixed. o.O
  • Options
    ... Huh, I haven't had any problems with my basil plants. I've had that inventory glitch though. It usually is fixed after I close the game for the night and open that save again the next day. You might also want to try repairing the game if that doesn't work. ...

It happened in my last gaming session, so yes, I'll hope it has fixed itself. When I had a similar inventory glitch in the past it affected all content there though, not just a single item stock. Time will tell, and this test farmer won't need those basils for her food anyway :)
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited November 2019
    Ah, okay, I can see how that would be confusing, no worries. :) It's interesting that @sirguylittle has plants producing crops twice a day. To my knowledge that has never happened in my game since the Seasons gardening update patch. It happened before the patch, but not afterward. My plants very, very rarely produce 10 harvestables everyday either. Okay, Sir, fess up, what's your secret to getting such a magical garden? :p

Staying on the lot for 24 hours :) as well as obsessive attention to detail! I'm Autistic so the latter comes naturally to me and I have a tendency to be more interested in working out how games and other things work than playing them in the usual manner.
    There may be some other things to consider, I'm not up to the latest version, being at 1.52 prior to the re-branding, although I don't believe there have been any major changes to gardening since that. I only have the base game so weather does not affect my Sims' garden (if that is a thing in Seasons?)

TS4-Garden.pngHere is an example of a fairly new garden

This is a couple of days later than when I last mentioned the 5AM and 5PM results and my Sim has more mature plants now, 15 so far. All the mature plants have 10 harvestables and if she stays on the lot long enough after the morning harvest, they will have another harvest at 5PM.

I did have her leave the lot on occasion and although I had her return before 5PM once, there was no 5PM harvest, so there is definitely a necessary amount of time to be on the lot, as @Simmerville suggests, (possibly just being in the neighbourhood is good enough) for the 5AM or 5PM check to generate a harvest. I just don't know how much time that is. I'm usually happy to have my Sim tend to the garden during the morning and do other things during the day, so I don't usually bother with trying for a 5PM harvest.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I thought this was worth reposting here, since it is of concern to gardeners, from the latest patch :)
    This one is my favourite:

„Rare and uncommon harvestables will now be produced at higher rates when splicing“

I‘ve been trying to get that plum pomegranate for months now :s
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hia.

A bit from today’s patch notes: “Rare and uncommon harvestables will now be produced at higher rates when splicing”

You guys have spoken briefly about splicing earlier and I tried a gardening-challenge earlier this year that I abandoned due to the difficulty in getting any of the spliced plants to give me a rare.

Thanks again for mentioning sage, now with splicing being upgraded a bit I will try planting some again.

Cheers!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I upgrade the quality of my Sims' plants by hitting shift while having the desired plant selected. From there you can select what you wish to do. I select the one that allows me to choose which level the plant is at. Starts out normal, then you can evolve them higher.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @Simmerville Have you patched and opened your game again yet? I'm just curious if the inventory problem was fixed for you. Hope so!

@sirguylittle Ah, okay that explains it then. I'm guessing since your most current update is 1.52, that you perhaps don't have the gardening update that was implemented just prior to Seasons. The latest update is 1.58.63.1010. Also, the Seasons EP does affect gardening in the game. You are correct also about only needing to be in the neighborhood for plants to be ready for harvest at the designated time.

@SilentKitty Thanks for the heads-up about the odds of getting grafted rare plants being increased in the latest patch for those who might not know. That's one of the updates in the patch that thrills me the most! You're welcome about the Sage, I found out through a post by @mcrudd in her gardening thread. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @sirguylittle Ah, okay that explains it then. I'm guessing since your most current update is 1.52, that you perhaps don't have the gardening update that was implemented just prior to Seasons. The latest update is 1.58.63.1010. Also, the Seasons EP does affect gardening in the game. You are correct also about only needing to be in the neighborhood for plants to be ready for harvest at the designated time.

1.52 is the June 2019 patch, immediately before the one that brought in the new look and well after the Seasons patch. (I can see the changes brought in by the gardening update, for example the changes to evolving.)

I'm aware of course that Seasons affects what will grow in which season, but don't know if things like weather affect how many harvestables a plant will produce if conditions are adverse, for example if it's raining, or too hot or too cold.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @sirguylittle the weather itself doesn't seem to affect numbers of harvestables or anything... raining makes sure sims don't have to water the plants that need watering, that's about it. i'm both bummed about the temp extremes and such not affecting the plants/harvestables and happy about it at the same time, if that makes sense

oh, and the bees, of course, affect things, but they're a whole other can of...um...larvae?

also, yeah, i noticed you had access to 'super sell' among other things, so figured that patch number was after the seasons update
  • Options

1.52 is the June 2019 patch, immediately before the one that brought in the new look and well after the Seasons patch. (I can see the changes brought in by the gardening update, for example the changes to evolving.)

I'm aware of course that Seasons affects what will grow in which season, but don't know if things like weather affect how many harvestables a plant will produce if conditions are adverse, for example if it's raining, or too hot or too cold.

About weather, I found that during Winter not all my test gardener's plants spawned crops. I thought my sim must have harvested them previously when I was not noticing. But then I realized the crops that actually were in sim's inventory were all Perfect quality. The Normal plant had probably not given any harvestables because the freezing temperature. I know this was 2 sorts of fruit trees, and I think it was Lemon and Pear. It was only one day this happened, probably only one day that Winter was very cold that year. Anyway, my conclusion (although further investigation might be in order) is that lower quality Lemon and Pear will not spawn crops on very cold days in Winter.
  • Options
    @Simmerville Have you patched and opened your game again yet? I'm just curious if the inventory problem was fixed for you. Hope so!

It was actually fixed the next time I started my game, so no more inventory trouble. I have no idea what caused it, but my pc sessions tend to be rather long, some days more than 15 hrs without rebooting, probably not so smart as a reboot never harmed any software performance...