Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening - can plant quality be cheated?

I'm doing an experiment to gather botanical information for my sims (will go public). I wonder if individual plants can be set to cheated to certain quality levels? I found I can cheat the gardening skill, but evolving all plants in the game to a top level would still take too long to run the projects as intended...

Buying plants from buydebug won't effect quality? Those I tried did not...
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    I haven't found a way to cheat it. But you can save a lot or room with mature plants. So that is one kind of way to cheat up plants.

Also, having Bees (place in the center they will fertilize 5 squares) that are healthy and calm will help your plants mature faster. And waking up Patchy will aid in doing gardening.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited November 2019
    One way to get them to better quality faster: If you have a Sim with a Gardening skill 2 and up, turn on testingcheats and you can get the plant to be ready to evolve. That'll speed up the evolution process.
    I don't think there's a way to directly change the quality of the plants though.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited November 2019
    I know of no way to cheat that, but there are ways to get at what you want without cheating that are faster:

If you have city living, wait for the spice festival, there are plants that spawn there with perfect quality, you can take some fruits there. usually you'll find strawberries, sage, parsley and a few others out of season. there is a dragonfruit plant there as well. if that spice festival comes later in the year, that dragonfruit with fruits on them would be a perfect money maker in a sheltered place where you can plant lots of them and make a boat load of §§§.

you can create your own dragon fruits by planting those perfect quality strawberries first and then grafting snapdragons on to them later.

You can also start fishing for medium or large fish, typically you can find a number of salmon on any typical day in the willow creek river behind bargain bend, singleton streamlet and cabana crick, that is if you are there fishing all day, you don't need any specific bait.

if you got level 10 gardening, get some rare seed packets and grow glowfruit, iti will take a while but when you have a few of them, you can harvest them and simply use them as a reliable fertilizer.

It isn't particulary difficult to get the quality up, but yes, it does take some time. altneratively there should be some creators on the gallery who also have these things, you can download one of theirs, take what you need for your own place and delete their creation afterwards.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    I found super fertiliser in the debug menu? I think it’s from the secret recipe the hermit gives you in outdoor retreat? I started using that on console as we have no gallery :( I know people save rooms with perfect plants, all the paintings etc..

Also I’ve noticed if you have multiple sims in your household, you can get them to tend garden whilst your off on a seperate lot. When you return the plants are nearly always ready to evolve.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited November 2019
    Several Simmers have perfect garden rooms on the Gallery to download which would be the absolute fastest way. As @Hoverael shared, plants available at the Spice Festival and Romance Festival are supposed to be perfect. They even say they are perfect. But, it's been my experience once your Sim harvests them, they change to normal in their inventory. Perhaps it's a glitch only in my game, but it's been that way for a long, long time and I don't use CC or Mods.

Bees will help your plants evolve on their own if you keep them happy and your Sim can also send them to fertilize close-by plants in your garden. Buying seeds and picking Patchy's pockets for seeds is another way to get rare plants. Or you could graft to get rare plants, but that takes a long, long, LONG time, so it's not the fastest way.

The best fish for fertilizer is sturgeon, tuna, treefish and salmon. But the very best fertilizer is Growfruit. You can buy growfruit at the Ranger Station in Granite Falls if you have Outdoor Retreat. It's the fastest and cheapest way to get it rather than taking your chances with seed packets. Your Sim can fish up Cowberries and Dragonfruit reliably at the fishing spot on the pier in Magnolia Promenade. Again, it's the fastest, most cost effective and easiest way to get those two plants in my opinion.

I've also found that using expensive plants are excellent fertilizer as well, in particular; Bird of Paradise, Lilies and Roses. Anything worth over 15-20 simoleons or more makes my plants ready to evolve almost immediately.

Sage plants grow year round so they are the most desirable plant to grow for grafting. I'd plant a few of them right away as soon as you find them. Hint: It grows in Oasis Springs park. Have your Sim camp out in the park a day or two to give them time to grow. Initial growth shouldn't take any longer than that. I believe they can be found in Starter Herb seed packs too. All plants that have matured are available for harvest after 5 a.m. But you have to be on your home lot or in your home lot neighborhood at that time or they won't produce anything.

Anyway, once your Sage have evolved to Perfect quality, start grafting other plants onto it and you'll be quickly on your way to a Perfect garden. It grows year round and anything grafted onto it will grow year round too as long as it's on the Sage plant. Once you harvest grafted plants from the Sage, make sure it's the right season before planting or build a greenhouse and plant everything in there.

As someone else shared, you can use a cheat to get your plants ready to evolve by turning on testingcheats and then shift clicking on plants. I'm not exactly sure what happens when you do that since I've never tried it myself, but worth a try! :)

I hope this all helps if you want to actually grow them yourself to Perfect. But, if you don't care how they get to Perfect, just download a Perfect Garden room off the Gallery. @mcrudd is one Simmer I know that has all plants in rooms to Perfect quality that are currently available. She's really great about updating whenever a pack introduces more plants. Good luck! <3

EDIT: Forgot to add that you can get produce (seeds) in San Myshuno at produce stands too if you can't find something in season. They don't have everything, but worth a look. There's also plants available from the 'purchase gifts' option on your Sims cell. They're very expensive to get that way, but sometimes worth it to get something you can't find otherwise. I use the gift option for tulips in particular and sometimes Bonsai bush seeds too.

Also, the Ranger Station has other plants besides Growfruit too, such as tomatoes, potatoes, etc. Those can be hard to find sometimes. Especially if you're not in the right season to get them from public gardens.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Thanks a lot for input everyone!!! I got to learn a lot more than i actually asked, that's great! I've not decided yet how I will go about with my project, but I'm in no hurry. The info can go public before every detail is in, the scripting is done and I already use it to look up info.

But I came across one more thing... In the past it seems like each plant specie had a set amount of hrs it takes to produce crops. Then there was the gardening overhaul, and it now seems like all plants spawn crops at 5 AM. Does this mean that all plant species have the same routine, or is the various hrs still in effect? I couldn't find much info regarding the growth hours vs 5 AM, so I'll need to do some testing. If there is any known facts on this please direct me to it :)
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,449 Member
    @Simmerville, an easy way to evolve plants is to shift-click on a plant, choose the gardening option on the pie menu, choose the "plant evolution" option, then choose "ready to evolve". After that click on the plant again & choose "evolve." Works great ☺.
  • Options
    Starfree wrote: »
    @Simmerville, an easy way to evolve plants is to shift-click on a plant, choose the gardening option on the pie menu, choose the "plant evolution" option, then choose "ready to evolve". After that click on the plant again & choose "evolve." Works great ☺.

Super duper! Thanks :)
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    But I came across one more thing... In the past it seems like each plant specie had a set amount of hrs it takes to produce crops. Then there was the gardening overhaul, and it now seems like all plants spawn crops at 5 AM. Does this mean that all plant species have the same routine, or is the various hrs still in effect? I couldn't find much info regarding the growth hours vs 5 AM, so I'll need to do some testing. If there is any known facts on this please direct me to it :)

In my experience the game does check at 5am and will generate a crop if a mature plant does not yet have any crop, however I have seen crops appear during the day also. It also takes some time after the first crops appear on a plant before a full harvest is available. This is particularly important for spliced plants as the special may not appear at first and there is still a chance for one to appear until the plant reaches it's full crop.
    Also plants take different amounts of time to reach maturity from planting. Parsley is the fastest I know, reaching maturity in just a few hours and will have a crop the next morning, whereas some plants can take several days, Daisy for example takes 4 days to reach maturity.
  • Options
    Also plants take different amounts of time to reach maturity from planting. Parsley is the fastest I know, reaching maturity in just a few hours and will have a crop the next morning, whereas some plants can take several days, Daisy for example takes 4 days to reach maturity.

So, there might be one hourly requirement for reaching mature stage, and another amount of hours from harvest to next crop is spawned? Like for the Daisy, 96 hrs to reach maturity, and than probably 24 hrs between each harvest? Hm... this is more diverse and complicated than I expected. I'm putting together a table with facts, but there seems to be way to much to consider...
  • Options

So, there might be one hourly requirement for reaching mature stage, and another amount of hours from harvest to next crop is spawned? Like for the Daisy, 96 hrs to reach maturity, and than probably 24 hrs between each harvest? Hm... this is more diverse and complicated than I expected. I'm putting together a table with facts, but there seems to be way to much to consider...

It seems that way, I must amend what I said though having re-read my notes, the 4 days for Daisy is the time to get a harvest after planting it, not just to maturity. (So it's probably 3 days to maturity then a harvest the next day.)
    I have been doing some testing myself as I have often played a gardener Sim since TS3 but do not have as much experience with gardening in TS4. It seemed that a lot of what I read online was out-of date, especially concerning fertilising.

These are the plants that I know how long it takes to reach a harvest from planting in the morning.
    1 day (ie next morning)
    Parsley, Spinach, Carrot, Basil, Strawberry
    2 days
    Snapdragon
    3 days
    Potato, Bluebell, Sage, Chrysanthemum, Grape
    4 days
    Daisy
  • Options
    Here's a Plant list found on Carl's Sims 4 Guide website. It lists the number of hours it take each plant to mature and be ready to harvest. Hope this helps too! :)

Sims 4 Plant List

After you check out the plant list, I'd advise scrolling up to the top of that page and reading the entire guide. You'll find a ton of very useful information about gardening in the Sims 4. <3
  • Options
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Here's a Plant list found on Carl's Sims 4 Guide website. It lists the number of hours it take each plant to mature and be ready to harvest. Hope this helps too! :)

Sims 4 Plant List

After you check out the plant list, I'd advise scrolling up to the top of that page and reading the entire guide. You'll find a ton of very useful information about gardening in the Sims 4. <3

Thanks. I already read that info and I can't make those hrs on Carl's site to work. I tested a few plants before I started this thread. And those hrs doesn't quite match the new 5 AM routine anyway, so I wonder if his table is a bit outdated on the hours. Don't blame him for not re-checking it after the overhaul though, because there are so many more useful tasks to explore :)
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited November 2019
    One of my friends did a complete perfect garden here, if you want to download it:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/2D158273E3CD11E98DA1EEB2A79C7201

I don't know if she updated it with Island Living and Realm of Magic, but I put those up if you need them...

Island Living:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/7ACF1F8C948411E9876ED63D27D2DDD7

Realm of Magic:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/93321395D94611E982BD3A1BE21D5EF6

One thing I have noticed is when you place a room with plants in it form the gallery, you need to set the wall to its highest height first. Otherwise the plants might be too tall to be indoors and your full plant becomes a pot of dirt when you place it.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @Simmerville I have a little new information for you. I had been playing other games recently but just happened to have started a new game in TS4. I planted a few things on the morning of the first day and watched as 5AM came around the next morning. As expected Basil, Carrot, Parsley and Spinach were nearly ready.
    The first harvestable on each plant showed up around 5:02 and it took about 30 minutes for each plant to have 10 harvestables.

I had my Sim harvest them around 7-9AM but what was new was that I happened to look just after 5PM and they were starting to produce harvestables again, 10 each around 5:30PM.
    These 4 plants are fast growers and it looks like you might be able to harvest them every 12 hours and that there is a 5PM check as well as 5AM :)

(This would explain my earlier comment that I was sure I had seen plants with harvestables appearing during the day, it must have been after 5PM.)
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Thanks for the mention @Karababy52 :)@Simmerville I also upload perfect seeds if those are easier for you, since seasons its so hard to download a full collection plantroom and place it, most of the harvests will go back to beginning stages and take forever to grow out again, and unless your walls are full hight then you even lose some of your plants. You can find my full collection of perfect seeds here This way you can pick which ones you wanna plant too. Happy simming :) Otherwise if you go in my gallery I have a room full of growfruit, I find those to be very good fertilizer to get the evolve option more often ;)
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    I've grafted plants onto sage but some just never spawn the rares.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I've grafted plants onto sage but some just never spawn the rares.

You have to graft the right combinations to get rares, for example to get a dragonfruit you need to graft a snapdragon cutting onto a strawberry plant. (You can do it the other way round but strawberry grows faster and is the better host.)
    The spawn rate for these is very low and it can seem like you never get any rares but you need to persevere. From Carl's Sims 4 guide the weights are 500 for common, 100 for uncommon and just 1 for rare, so only 1 out of every 600 harvestables will be rare.
    If you are just trying to get a harvestable for the cutting, say you want some roses, then use a Parsley plant as the host as it is the fastest growing, just a couple of hours to mature and be ready to graft onto after planting it. Since grafting resets the growth state, then it will regrow quicker than anything else and you will get a harvest sooner.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i'm kind of amazed, but also rather unsurprised, that nobody seems to know about the actual gardening cheats... when those were released, they became one of the very few threads i ever started... didn't see much traffic, and the concept seems to have been long forgotten (...well, by everyone but @Starfree now that i continue reading)

also, a thing to know is that plants will spawn different numbers of harvestables outdoors vs sheltered. an outdoors plant should spawn more harvestables every day while it's in season, while an indoors/sheltered plant will spawn fewer harvestables daily, but also be harvestable when out of season

and the spawn rate for rare harvestables on spliced plants is abysmal (as sirguylittle points out just above me), but there are ways around this for virtually every rare... orchids, the one most people have problems with, for example, get mailed to your sim when they complete... either the space rock or the aliens collection

just in case, here's my gardening cheat thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/943173/new-gardening-plant-cheats#latest
    and also just in case, even though i've seen plenty of others mentioned, i have a pre-island living 'full perfect greenhouse' on the gallery, too... it includes one of each emotional tree, since those act up now. really should get around to updating to all the new packs...
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,449 Member
    @kalaksed, I use the "growth" & "evolve" cheats all the time ☺
  • Options
    Thank you both @kalaksed and @starfree for the tip about the plant cheats! I enjoy growing plants without cheats, but if there is ever an occasion where I do want to evolve plants faster for whatever reason, it's nice to know there is that option to use! :)

You're welcome @mcrudd! I've never downloaded perfect plants from the Gallery myself, but it's nice knowing the option is there if needed. Thanks again too for your tips on how to get perfect emotion berries when I needed to know for my Gardener Sim pursuing a perfect garden full of every plant available.

@Simmerville Ah, okay, well just thought I'd include the link in case you hadn't read it already. I'm sorry the list of growth hours for plants hasn't been updated. Hopefully Carl will do that some time in the near future. I shouldn't have assumed they were still correct. I apologize for the info dump too. I just thought it might be helpful in your quest to grow perfect plants quickly if you didn't want to cheat for them. Glad it was appreciated anyway. :)
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @Karababy52 the fun thing is, with those cheats you can do more than just evolve plants... you can devolve them, set their growth states (i sometimes do that in a world i haven't been to in a while, to get the freshly sprouted trees to mature, but can also drop a plant back to sprout if you want), give them bugs or weeds (or remove those) or set the watered state (i've used the latter one for a sim's aspiration because she only had the one plant and it never seemed to go dry)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Great tips on how to use those cheats @kalased, thanks! Especially good to know it works for plants not on your Sims lot. I've been frustrated a few times with plants I wanted in Sylvan Glade not growing very fast because some of my Sims weren't able to stay there long enough for them to grow much. So those cheats will be a handy time saver if I choose to use them. Might still just harvest the old-fashioned way, it gives me a satisfying sense of accomplishment. But for some Sims that do other things besides gardening, if that's not the main focus, I'll definitely consider using it. :)

EDIT: OH! Just thought of something, I could use that cheat for the Science Lab garden! Yay! \o/ Okay, that just made my day. lol
  • Options
    I had to split my project into 4 sections, of obvious seasonal reasons. I'm growing them outdoors to get the max number of crops as it will be less harvestables if the plant is sheltered. I'm now done with most Fall species. And - it's time consuming even when I use those fantastic cheats and full speed most of the time. Taking notes means a lot of pausing, but I like this kind of projects occasionally. I'll now handle my notes for this season before I move on, but I will of course need to use the same strategy in order to make every specie comparable. Fall was probably the busiest season of them all with about 25 species, and my sim had 3 items of each specie, just in case there would be any variety (there was not, so for the next 3 rounds I'll use only 2 plants (one for back-up).

So fun to read all your input, I'm learning a lot today!
    @Simmerville I have a little new information for you. I had been playing other games recently but just happened to have started a new game in TS4. I planted a few things on the morning of the first day and watched as 5AM came around the next morning. As expected Basil, Carrot, Parsley and Spinach were nearly ready.
    The first harvestable on each plant showed up around 5:02 and it took about 30 minutes for each plant to have 10 harvestables.

I had my Sim harvest them around 7-9AM but what was new was that I happened to look just after 5PM and they were starting to produce harvestables again, 10 each around 5:30PM.
    These 4 plants are fast growers and it looks like you might be able to harvest them every 12 hours and that there is a 5PM check as well as 5AM :)

(This would explain my earlier comment that I was sure I had seen plants with harvestables appearing during the day, it must have been after 5PM.)

Yeah, I noticed that crops do add for about 30 minutes, so a good thing to wait. In any case, my test farmer never got up that early, so I never harvested until several hours later in the day. I checked for extra crops at 5 PM but had none. It surprised me that some (all?) plants can reproduce crops in a very short time. A mushroom that was harvested at 1AM had new crops 4 hrs later - I would not have expected that, so I believe the hour of harvesting is less important.
    kalaksed wrote: »
    i'm kind of amazed, but also rather unsurprised, that nobody seems to know about the actual gardening cheats... when those were released, they became one of the very few threads i ever started... didn't see much traffic, and the concept seems to have been long forgotten (...well, by everyone but @Starfree now that i continue reading)

also, a thing to know is that plants will spawn different numbers of harvestables outdoors vs sheltered. an outdoors plant should spawn more harvestables every day while it's in season, while an indoors/sheltered plant will spawn fewer harvestables daily, but also be harvestable when out of season

and the spawn rate for rare harvestables on spliced plants is abysmal (as sirguylittle points out just above me), but there are ways around this for virtually every rare... orchids, the one most people have problems with, for example, get mailed to your sim when they complete... either the space rock or the aliens collection

just in case, here's my gardening cheat thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/943173/new-gardening-plant-cheats#latest
    and also just in case, even though i've seen plenty of others mentioned, i have a pre-island living 'full perfect greenhouse' on the gallery, too... it includes one of each emotional tree, since those act up now. really should get around to updating to all the new packs...

I *love* the cheat!, and yes, it's actually very flexible. I've not explored it full potential yet, but with this cheat I could actually have used all 5 quality versions for my project. It would have been so easy! I made a mistake once, setting a plant to wiltered status, and although I was able to set it to perfect, it probably stayed wiltrered because it never spawned any crops at all. Luckily I had 3 plants so I got my science info anyway. It was not until the end of the Fall project that realized the reason why it did not give any harvest.

I'm not doing spliced plants, would probably be too complicated to deal with all that info :) My goal is an updated botanical table, with the base info shown in 4 different sortings.
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    ... @Simmerville Ah, okay, well just thought I'd include the link in case you hadn't read it already. I'm sorry the list of growth hours for plants hasn't been updated. Hopefully Carl will do that some time in the near future. I shouldn't have assumed they were still correct. I apologize for the info dump too. I just thought it might be helpful in your quest to grow perfect plants quickly if you didn't want to cheat for them. Glad it was appreciated anyway. :)

I musrt admit I might have misunderstood the term "growth time", it's easier to understand now that I started the project. I thought different species took different amount of hours to develop from a harvest to the next spawning of crops. But I now realize the growth time means from planting to mature (or first crops spawned). It's very difficult to tell the exact hours from game play because they all seem to spawn at 5 AM and if the plant is not old enough that spawning will wait 24hrs. To most gamers this detail might be less interesting anyway, because if you leave your lot to play another lot, the hour count will probably get affected. Anyway - most scientific projects deal with a ideal setting, don't they? :)
  • Options
    mcrudd wrote: »
    Thanks for the mention @Karababy52 :)@Simmerville I also upload perfect seeds if those are easier for you, since seasons its so hard to download a full collection plantroom and place it, most of the harvests will go back to beginning stages and take forever to grow out again, and unless your walls are full hight then you even lose some of your plants. You can find my full collection of perfect seeds here This way you can pick which ones you wanna plant too. Happy simming :) Otherwise if you go in my gallery I have a room full of growfruit, I find those to be very good fertilizer to get the evolve option more often ;)

Thanks for sharing on the gallery! I started my project with help from local farmers (and the cheat), but knowing there is a backup to download at any time is very useful. Might use it for the coming seasons if I don't have all the plants I want. I'm focusing on common, uncommon and just a few rare plants for now. Might do another round with the rest of the rares later,