Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does university and it's hush-hush secret creation spell for family play?

They were right, we didn't see it coming.

Now we do, what does this mean for the future of family/legacy gameplay?

is the much-needed baby update? around the corner?

This is a hint that teenagers will soon become worthy of putting time into?

Are child sims going to have their own game pack/update eventually?

Will vehicles hold use for households now and be added into the game?

What does this pack mean for family gameplay and the sims overall if jobs are already so lacklustre?

Comments

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Child Sims already had their own pack with Kids ROom stuff?
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I don't know but babies and elders badly need work on and expanding. Romantic relations between couples need work too so the feel less like roommates who hate each other.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Is Bella pregnant from Mortimer again? Tune in on the next episode of Sims 4 speculations!

Maybe a fix for any kind of sims relationships - a guess from the sims from the trailer reacting to each other.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member

who
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2019
    Cupid wrote: »

who

"Them"

🙈😂 sorry I had to.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    It gives us more stuff for teens (clothes, furniture) and I hope there will be an option for a parent to react to their kid getting a piercing, that would be fun!
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I honestly don’t think it means anything. We barely had any more warning for Get Famous, and we haven’t exactly gotten much for kids and toddlers since then.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Going by the trailer it appears the focus is, as usual, on young adult, in this case early young adult. I doubt other age groups will get anything, other than -maybe - motivation to get one's teens into college so they may join the privileged class. More to the larger point, will this actually be a viable pack or a repeat of IL, lots of cool graphics and a riveting trailer but little actual play value? It also appears to be confined to one world. With one less college to pick from than TS2 gives us.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    University is not about your little kids and toddlers or grandma and grand pa - it about your older kids aND THEIR FUTURE.. like it should be. Your kids don't ever stop being your kids and all of them have futures that matter - with the older ones some times more important when their whole future is at state. That is what Uni is for. Your older children to become a success and have a future. It is their last chance for parents to make a difference for their oldest kids..

Believe me I needed my parents way more when I was ready to go to University than I ever did when I was 2, or 10, or even 14. My whole future depended on University - it was far more important than toys and water slider when I was little. Talk about EA over looking tots and kids yet you all think it is okay for parent to over look their own flesh and blood be they turned college age? That is just wrong in my book - parent need to first look at what they are doing or not doing instead of what EA is doing. I have waited for ever it seems hoping to get my teens/yas into college so they can get on with their lives - I spent my real whole life waiting for my kids to complete high school so we could get them into a good college and a good future. It is what many parents strive for from the day their children are born - many seem to have forgotten this.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    University is not about your little kids and toddlers or grandma and grand pa - it about your older kids aND THEIR FUTURE.. like it should be. Your kids don't ever stop being your kids and all of them have futures that matter - with the older ones some times more important when their whole future is at state. That is what Uni is for. Your older children to become a success and have a future. It is their last chance for parents to make a difference for their oldest kids..

Believe me I needed my parents way more when I was ready to go to University than I ever did when I was 2, or 10, or even 14. My whole future depended on University - it was far more important than toys and water slider when I was little. Talk about EA over looking tots and kids yet you all think it is okay for parent to over look their own flesh and blood be they turned college age? That is just wrong in my book - parent need to first look at what they are doing or not doing instead of what EA is doing. I have waited for ever it seems hoping to get my teens/yas into college so they can get on with their lives - I spent my real whole life waiting for my kids to complete high school so we could get them into a good college and a good future. It is what many parents strive for from the day their children are born - many seem to have forgotten this.
    I went to university and college with grandmas and grandpas and parents. Last time I checked university doesn't have an age limit as long as you have your college diploma and GED. Some teens attend college early after getting their GED at fifteen or sixteen. I also went to school with a lot of parents too. Then again there were day cares for both junior high and high school students where I grew up. Pregnancy is quite common especially in the young adult age. A lot of those parties with the juice pong and drinking often result in surprise pregnancies. I was 19 before I attended college and although I didn't raise my own kids, I did raise my eldest nephew while attending college while my sister worked full time being a single mother and all. Did I wish she had married first before having kids from different fathers? Of course I did. She is married now to a wonderful man and turned her life around. So yes I do hope there are some provisions for non-nuclear families too as well as for nuclear families. It's a reality of life that kids may not have a parent or two parents in their life especially given the circumstance of current events today that people are encouraged to separate immigrant parents from their emigrant children which results in those children being sent away to places that aren't orphanages or homes. But that is another topic. Life isn't perfect and part of representation results in depicting lives that aren't nuclear especially considering majority of royalty has some affairs within their family lineage too. Thankfully my grandpa being one of thirteen children was still willing to marry my grandmother whose father was unknown, otherwise I wouldn't be here. My grandma on my other side still took college classes to. Honestly in my career goals I will always be a college student because state licenses require it to prepare taxes, do accounting for the public, and notary for the public. Those that don't continue their education break the law and lose their licenses. I really hope the pack has grants and loans because financial burden is apart of the reality with school too. I know many who are still paying off their student loans. Thankfully I had mine paid off by the time Get Together pack came out. But it does show what is reality in one Simmer's life isn't a reality of another. I just strongly disagree about university being only for young adults without kids and it is a stereotype thankfully I didn't have to experience.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I went to university and college with grandmas and grandpas and parents. Last time I checked university doesn't have an age limit as long as you have your college diploma and GED. Some teens attend college early after getting their GED at fifteen or sixteen. I also went to school with a lot of parents too. Then again there were day cares for both junior high and high school students where I grew up. Pregnancy is quite common especially in the young adult age. A lot of those parties with the juice pong and drinking often result in surprise pregnancies. I was 19 before I attended college and although I didn't raise my own kids, I did raise my eldest nephew while attending college while my sister worked full time being a single mother and all. Did I wish she had married first before having kids from different fathers? Of course I did. She is married now to a wonderful man and turned her life around. So yes I do hope there are some provisions for non-nuclear families too as well as for nuclear families. It's a reality of life that kids may not have a parent or two parents in their life especially given the circumstance of current events today that people are encouraged to separate immigrant parents from their emigrant children which results in those children being sent away to places that aren't orphanages or homes. But that is another topic. Life isn't perfect and part of representation results in depicting lives that aren't nuclear especially considering majority of royalty has some affairs within their family lineage too. Thankfully my grandpa being one of thirteen children was still willing to marry my grandmother whose father was unknown, otherwise I wouldn't be here. My grandma on my other side still took college classes to. Honestly in my career goals I will always be a college student because state licenses require it to prepare taxes, do accounting for the public, and notary for the public. Those that don't continue their education break the law and lose their licenses. I really hope the pack has grants and loans because financial burden is apart of the reality with school too. I know many who are still paying off their student loans. Thankfully I had mine paid off by the time Get Together pack came out. But it does show what is reality in one Simmer's life isn't a reality of another. I just strongly disagree about university being only for young adults without kids and it is a stereotype thankfully I didn't have to experience.

When I did my Paralegal AAS, more than half the students were single mothers- they were able to qualify for grants. Loads of older people who have been displaced in the workforce are going back to school, or working on a degree for the first time. Retired people have a bit more time, and can major in things that aren't necessarily going to produce jobs. And many young people are working and going to school at the same time - that's how I got through school.

I don't think there's any sign from the reveal or write-up that indicates that seniors won't be able to go to university. (It would be pretty discriminatory if you tried to send your elder Sim to school and the game told you they were too old.) I only hope that for students who live off campus (mentioned in the official blog), there is a rabbit-hole option. That would allow my parent Sims to attend school without forcing me to leave the rest of the family on self-care. I'm really not interested in attending classes with my Sim, much less going to keg parties.

It would be a worthwhile addition to my game if my Sim can work toward a degree (and the new careers), and still raise kids. I wouldn't mind a 'semi-active' option - I've had fun with those careers, as they allow me to keep my Sim at home to help with homework and also have some work tasks to complete while the kids are at school. (Even more fun: the parent Sim has a project for school, and the kids can 'help'.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I don't see a(nother) kids pack coming anytime soon, honestly. The additions to kids' and teens' schools were sprinkled throughout the different packs (mostly Parenthood and Seasons) and I doubt, as much as I wish we'd get an active schools pack, that we're going to get more.
    It's possible though that Uni will add something extra to Teens: the need to be an A student to get into university, extra projects to qualify, maybe the need to do volunteering or scouting/drama to improve one's chances.

So yeah, in terms of that, Teens might be more worth putting time into when it comes to school.

I am curious about how families will work when a child is in Uni. I have a feeling it's going to be a case of forced rotational play: the YA who's going to university will move out & the rest of their family left behind as a separate household.
    I hope adults can also become students & that it's not locked strictly to the YA stage. But that also poses questions: if they have a family, what will happen? Will they be able to live with the student or will we have to separate families for the duration of the studies? I hope that's not the case & that there's a provision for parents with young kids to study too.

I'm sure we'll get the answers soon, be it in the gameplay trailer or the livestream.

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm guessing that students will be able to live on campus or because I saw off-campus apartments mentioned, they will probably still be able to live at home. There have been several packs for kids, toddlers and family play. There will probably be more or it will be incorporated in other ways.

I do agree that babies would probably be good subjects for a stuff pack theme. More to do is needed across the whole game.

While the trailer had kind of a "party" orientation, I look forward to seeing more specifics about the content in the pack. It's true that university isn't really for younger kids but as someone pointed out, for a lot of players, those kids grow up and then they need more to do as well. It is also true that the trailer for this is surely marketed to teens and people just entering uni themselves, so the marketing approach is reflective of that compared to some of the other packs.

I'm not anti-family play because I actually play with a lot of families but that is just one aspect of the game and one style of play which does get some of its own packs or content. I'd argue that Seasons is heavily family play centric, for example.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options

When I did my Paralegal AAS, more than half the students were single mothers- they were able to qualify for grants. Loads of older people who have been displaced in the workforce are going back to school, or working on a degree for the first time. Retired people have a bit more time, and can major in things that aren't necessarily going to produce jobs. And many young people are working and going to school at the same time - that's how I got through school.

I don't think there's any sign from the reveal or write-up that indicates that seniors won't be able to go to university. (It would be pretty discriminatory if you tried to send your elder Sim to school and the game told you they were too old.) I only hope that for students who live off campus (mentioned in the official blog), there is a rabbit-hole option. That would allow my parent Sims to attend school without forcing me to leave the rest of the family on self-care. I'm really not interested in attending classes with my Sim, much less going to keg parties.

It would be a worthwhile addition to my game if my Sim can work toward a degree (and the new careers), and still raise kids. I wouldn't mind a 'semi-active' option - I've had fun with those careers, as they allow me to keep my Sim at home to help with homework and also have some work tasks to complete while the kids are at school. (Even more fun: the parent Sim has a project for school, and the kids can 'help'.)
    That is cool and I hope so. I know Sims 3 uni opened it up to more ages which was neat. It did always bother me in the Sims 2 how Sims spent their entire YA life at uni and away from home. But yeah those are the reasons why I saw people going back to college too. Congrats on your paralegal. I got a Bachelor's of Science in Business myself. It wasn't easy. Entering uni from transferring from community college I had a 1.4 GPA. So I had to take a little break from playing Sims during the week and used it as a reward for finishing a week's worth of assignments and get my grades back up for financial aid. After transferring to a smaller university and taking a study skills class I managed to turn it around and finish with a 3.5 GPA. My dad was never supportive of me attending college and said I would never finish. I did and became the first since my grandmothers to complete it. It isn't an easy goal to complete and I hope that the pack can reflect that.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    (For extra entertainment value, feel free to have the following post read in an Eeyore voice in your head.)

Secret? A "University" pack was all but guaranteed, due to the theme's popularity. Anyone who's played TS2 or TS3 definitely saw it coming.

I don't think it means anything much for family play. So you get the pack, maybe a prompt appears when your Teen ages up or you start up on a file with YA sims that they can go to college, Teens and YA sims may get whims to go to college and/or a "College Bound" aspiration is added, working sims may get a whim to "Go Back to School"...nothing much will change. Ultimately, the only big thing will be going to college and the new jobs added with the pack.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    (For extra entertainment value, feel free to have the following post read in an Eeyore voice in your head.)

Secret? A "University" pack was all but guaranteed, due to the theme's popularity. Anyone who's played TS2 or TS3 definitely saw it coming.

I don't think it means anything much for family play. So you get the pack, maybe a prompt appears when your Teen ages up or you start up on a file with YA sims that they can go to college, Teens and YA sims may get whims to go to college and/or a "College Bound" aspiration is added, working sims may get a whim to "Go Back to School"...nothing much will change. Ultimately, the only big thing will be going to college and the new jobs added with the pack.
    I just hope kids and teens can play soccer and ping pong too.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    University doesn't seem to have any family gameplay. Can children even ride bikes?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019

ttps://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/12/the-quiet-struggle-of-college-students-with-kids/383636/

And back when I was a student many Universities did not even allow kids on campus period. Maybe your experience is because things have changed from what they used to be - but according to this article it still is not a good idea to go to college if you have young kids - as there is next to no support for these struggling parents. If colleges still do not support students with children any better than this - how can anyone think it is a good idea to even connect children with Uni. They do not even allow most students with kids to live on campus or even be on campuses - it was like that in the 60's and 70's where I attended New Haven (Connecticut) Arts and Science University. It's a private University - it can do that. You have kids they are just not welcome.

Also - Lifelong learning is the "ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated" pursuit of knowledge for either personal or professional reasons. Therefore, it not only enhances social inclusion, active citizenship, and personal development, but also self-sustainability, as well as competitiveness and employ-ability.

In some contexts, the term "lifelong learning" evolved from the term "life-long learners", created by Leslie Watkins and used by Professor Clint Taylor (CSULA) and Superintendent for the Temple City Unified School District's mission statement in 1993, the term recognizes that learning is not confined to childhood or the classroom but takes place throughout life and in a range of situations.

In other contexts, the term "lifelong learning" evolved organically. The first lifelong learning institute began at The New School for Social Research (now New School University)" in 1962 "as an experiment in "learning in retirement". Later, after similar groups formed across the United States, many chose the name "lifelong learning institute" to be inclusive of non-retired persons in the same age range. See Lifelong learning institutes, or outside the USA, University of the Third Age.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited October 2019

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/12/the-quiet-struggle-of-college-students-with-kids/383636/

And back when I was a student many Universities did not even allow kids on campus period. Maybe your experience is because things have changed from what they used to be - but according to this article it still is not a good idea to go to college if you have young kids - as there is next to no support for these struggling parents. If colleges still do not support students with children any better than this - how can anyone think it is a good idea to even connect children with Uni. They do not even allow most students with kids to live on campus or even be on campuses - it was like that in the 60's and 70's where I attended New Haven (Connecticut) Arts and Science University. It's a private University - it can do that. You have kids they are just not welcome.

Also - Lifelong learning is the "ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated" pursuit of knowledge for either personal or professional reasons. Therefore, it not only enhances social inclusion, active citizenship, and personal development, but also self-sustainability, as well as competitiveness and employ-ability.

In some contexts, the term "lifelong learning" evolved from the term "life-long learners", created by Leslie Watkins and used by Professor Clint Taylor (CSULA) and Superintendent for the Temple City Unified School District's mission statement in 1993, the term recognizes that learning is not confined to childhood or the classroom but takes place throughout life and in a range of situations.

In other contexts, the term "lifelong learning" evolved organically. The first lifelong learning institute began at The New School for Social Research (now New School University)" in 1962 "as an experiment in "learning in retirement". Later, after similar groups formed across the United States, many chose the name "lifelong learning institute" to be inclusive of non-retired persons in the same age range. See Lifelong learning institutes, or outside the USA, University of the Third Age.
    Yeah I went to public community and state schools and went to school on the west coast. There isn't a separate institute for that. I mean in California there used to be, but adult classes got canceled because of finances. Even the regional occupational program I went to in high school that gave college credits got cancelled, but high school students still can take some college courses. I think with time education has changed and could be a location and types of school differences as well. Especially the schools on the coast are super lax. I mean yes kids don't live at dorms of course, but apartments nearby they do.

Less than 50% of students fall in the 18-24 age range except for Asians:
    https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cpb.asp

The demographics of single parents:
    https://www.cappex.com/articles/blog/how-to-improve-college-success-for-single-students-with-children

So yes time has changed the statistics as you can see here:
    https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d18/tables/dt18_302.60.asp
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Interesting discussion about families and university studies, @Writin_Reg @Scobre

I think that real-life lack of support for students who have children doesn't mean we can't have something like that in the game. It would actually be rather nice to see it being a possibility.

I'm not sure how things are at the moment but I do remember one thing from the past where I grew up (Eastern Bloc in Europe): people with children and families were not at all discouraged from education, there were even dorms allocated for families. Normally, dorms didn't allow co-ed roommates but the family accommodation was specifically for couples (this was obviously back in the day when "families" were only traditional nuclear ones) with or without children.

Aside from the family support that was in the past and I'm pretty sure unfortunately hasn't survived the transition to capitalism in those countries, the vast majority of third level educational institutes accept what's referred to as "mature students" in any and all courses, provided they meet the admissions conditions. It's interesting to see that in the US, it seems to be a specific type of college or university only that supports older students.

I think it's precisely why it's a good idea to have it different in the game. Rather than excluding anyone but YA Sims from education, I'd love to see support for adults with families, or even just the ability for the family to live off-campus (obviously dorms would not be a good environment for children) and have, say, one parent work and the other attend university. Or have a single parent try to juggle both studies and a part-time or freelance job. It's no an easy ride for people with children but it's something that happens so it would be good to have included.
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    Kids room stuff doesn't count. They still gave barely anything to do. No tag no Marco polo no pillowfights no imaginary games and kids running around like kids. Seesaws, tree houses, board games, hopscotch etc. Not only are we lacking basic objects but basic interactions. And wall decals from kid room stuff doesn't count. My kids literally sit around talking with adults all day or either glued to an electronic or the dollhouse unless I micromanage them.

They should be somewhere building forts and paying hide and seek.

This.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Finally, I am able to send my Sims (after the 4th generation) to the Uni. I believe this would be fun. I'm not sure yet how this will affect my Sims in terms of them having a degree and a job. I hope it unlocks some traits to at least differentiate or gives them the upper hand in getting a better job/life or better salary scale, just like the character values that comes with the Parenthood pack.

If not, it will be just another "vacation" period for my Sims, which is not what I'm expecting it to be. I would love if the option to attend the Uni is open to all age groups and not only limited to the YA, because why not? After all, they can live off campus and still attending the classes to earn the degree.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member

Now we do, what does this mean for the future of family/legacy gameplay?

is the much-needed baby update? around the corner?

This is a hint that teenagers will soon become worthy of putting time into?

Are child sims going to have their own game pack/update eventually?

Will vehicles hold use for households now and be added into the game?

What does this pack mean for family gameplay and the sims overall if jobs are already so lacklustre?

I really, really wish that all of these things were going to be true! But alas I fear they probably wont be :( I would add another to the list, that they could flesh out elders too, so we can really play family play. At the moment teens to elders all just feel like one giant life stage with no meaningful differentiation. I think more meaningful differentiation and an added depth to gameplay would make the game amazing - there really is so much potential for this game - but I don't think it'll ever be done sadly.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Just wanted to say that most state universities do have married student and family housing in the USA. Also many younger students commute from home rather than choosing the more expensive dorm life.

I do think college education in my state is becoming more attainable for working class students, although it is not always a clear path. My younger daughter is getting her associate degree in nursing for the cost of her books. She is attending a community college. Should she decide she wants more education, her current employers will pay for her bachelor's program.

The Sims 4 version of University is idealistic. It is meant to let people play out their fantasies of college life. For some in the upper classes, it may be close to their actual experience. But I worked my way through with summer farm jobs and work/study programs. It didn't leave much time for beer pong. (Although there was one night I was out to five in the morning playing Dungeons and Dragons because I'm such a geek, lol.)