Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Classify this lot?

FaeChaiFaeChai Posts: 87 Member
I'm making a public lot but I'm not sure what to call it. Basically it's an Ice Rink but I want it to have stores around it, like an outdoor mall. Maybe with a small children's playground off to the side. Should I mark it as "Retail"? Can you still sell items on a lot that's not "Retail"? I would LOVE to fit a restaurant in there too but I'm not sure if I can combine all these onto one lot and have it be functional. I did add a Winter stall to the lot, for coffee.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    If you want to sell things on it, I'd set it as retail. Then it will definitely work the way you want.

I've used some lots for multiple purposes, and in order to get the right employees without hiring them, I switched lot types during play. I switched between cafe and nightclub mostly, and Sims gathered around the appropriate objects on the lot. An employee would show up for the current lot type, and any other employees left.

During this time, the cash register wasn't in use and nothing was for sale. Once the lot was set as retail I couldn't switch back without going to manage worlds. I still had the ability to hire Sims for the various objects on the lots, though.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    No matter how you classify it, sims probably won’t use the rink. I have tried and tried to make the built in lot types work for a multi-purpose lot centered on a rink, but the restrictive nature of the game just doesn’t allow it.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    No matter how you classify it, sims probably won’t use the rink. I have tried and tried to make the built in lot types work for a multi-purpose lot centered on a rink, but the restrictive nature of the game just doesn’t allow it.

Sims just don’t seem to like the skating rink. I only ever seem to see adult sims on the off lot ones, and even that’s rare.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Bummer right? I mean, give us multiple functional lots already.

For now, i would fix this with turning it into a retail lot otherwise stores won't work. I like your idea btw! Looks like a winter Christmas market! You should add a little christmastree farm where sims can pick out Christmas trees!

Sims will come on the lot and visit the stores and I doubt they will ice skate, but I am not sure about it. I think having the stores is more important as it gives at least your sims the option of 2: Ice skating and buying something.

Another option is that you just place these food stalls and have a toy store that does not really function but children can come and play in it. The annoying thing is that you have to hire sellers for all these stalls..
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »

Sims just don’t seem to like the skating rink. I only ever seem to see adult sims on the off lot ones, and even that’s rare.

I have had sims use the skating rink on a community lot. I believe the lot was a karaoke bar. This may have been fixed in a patch at some point because at first I had luck with it. I would recommend testing if it works.