Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Locking the Refrigerator

I would really like to be able to lock the refrigerator because I really hate when I throwing parties and I have a nice food spread out for guest, the guest grabs food out of the fridge. I literally have to place my fridge in the family inventory for each party. It would be nice to just lock it until after the party.

Comments

• Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Ditto! I'd lock the kitchen but my sims don't have a separate dining area lol
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Sims below a certain friendship threshold (or without the "always welcome" trait, or owning a key) shouldn't even attempt to raid the fridge. Every played Sim gets thrown out of other households for doing so, so it should be bad manners vice versa.
    Same for Computers.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Sims below a certain friendship threshold (or without the "always welcome" trait, or owning a key) shouldn't even attempt to raid the fridge. Every played Sim gets thrown out of other households for doing so, so it should be bad manners vice versa.
    Same for Computers.

i have to double check but I thought sims were only thrown out if they started making a meal.
  • Options
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Same for Computers.

i have to double check but I thought sims were only thrown out if they started making a meal.

Yeah you're right, i guess, but none the less it's bad manners for NPC strangers.
    XD They could sign they're hungry and played household could choose to give them food by clicking "give food from inventory" - or none. Maybe be mischievous and give them even bad or spoiled?
    Spinning that option further they could even spice up a meal or poison it? But maybe not deadly... sorry my mind wandered off.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I think they should only do it if your sim does an interaction to make themselves at home or something could be similar to the give residence key interaction. If they do that than the other Sims can do what they want in the home. Same for napping in their beds
  • Options
    I think they should only do it if your sim does an interaction to make themselves at home or something could be similar to the give residence key interaction. If they do that than the other Sims can do what they want in the home. Same for napping in their beds

agreed and taking a bath. Lately, my guest have been coming over and taking a bath..lol
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    Sims come in and head straight for the computer , how rude is that? Who would do that ? Not even a hello , how ya doing.
    Yes I need to lock all the doors before having a party also move the t.v. where they can't watch it.

Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    FaeChaiFaeChai Posts: 87 Member
    I had to make an office, place the computer in it and keep the door locked from one sim. Like, hey you! Get off my computer! Library is down the street ya mooch.
  • Options
    The thread is getting a little derailed but maybe we need a lock that could be applied to many objects LOL
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I really like the idea of being able to lock objects as well as doors. I, personally, don't want to have to put my fridge in household inventory every time a guest pops in. Locks have the advantage of being optional so when you have a more long term guest or family member over, they can be unlocked. Or never used at all if that's your personal style.

I know for my families I make several meals at once to have on hand. Not all of them can afford to have those meals eaten by guests. It would be a financial hardship.

I think this would be a great mod if it is possible to do. I know there is a mod that allows Sims to claim some objects such as computers for personal use, similar to how beds work. But a mod that locked them to only household members would be great.

One work around that I have used is to add guests to a group. That way you can control activities better. I use this most often for kids coming home from school with my Sim kids. Usually I have them grab a snack together, do homework together, then do some other fun activity together.

The only problems I have found with locks is that as a rotational player I forget to unlock them before switching households. Then when I bring a Sim to visit, the host will often be locked inside a bedroom on the computer. Lol, then I have to temporarily switch over to unlock the door. But wouldn't it be nice to have an unlock all locks button like we have to turn lights off and on?
  • Options
    telemwill wrote: »
    I really like the idea of being able to lock objects as well as doors. I, personally, don't want to have to put my fridge in household inventory every time a guest pops in. Locks have the advantage of being optional so when you have a more long term guest or family member over, they can be unlocked. Or never used at all if that's your personal style.

I know for my families I make several meals at once to have on hand. Not all of them can afford to have those meals eaten by guests. It would be a financial hardship.

I think this would be a great mod if it is possible to do. I know there is a mod that allows Sims to claim some objects such as computers for personal use, similar to how beds work. But a mod that locked them to only household members would be great.

One work around that I have used is to add guests to a group. That way you can control activities better. I use this most often for kids coming home from school with my Sim kids. Usually I have them grab a snack together, do homework together, then do some other fun activity together.

The only problems I have found with locks is that as a rotational player I forget to unlock them before switching households. Then when I bring a Sim to visit, the host will often be locked inside a bedroom on the computer. Lol, then I have to temporarily switch over to unlock the door. But wouldn't it be nice to have an unlock all locks button like we have to turn lights off and on?

I always forget to unlock doors too...LOL

Agree completely with your post. I wouldn't mind if a modder took care of this problem as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Locking Fridges:
    The Sims AI is not the smartest, something that is long known, especially when it comes to food and drink, a suggestion could also be to add an option (by phone->household?) to toggle "hospitality on/off". For Storytelling it would be nice, if you have sims over you don't like and in no way wanting them to feel at home.

Removed quote. ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright folks let's bring it back in a little bit and keep it on topic, the thread isn't about working around something but an idea for adding something, so let's keep the discussion there.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I’d appreciate this because I’m tired of the people involved in the “extra food” event eating all of my salad.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I would find this useful. Not just for guests either, then I wouldn't have to just lock a sim to a basement... >:)

It is annoying though when my sims do go through the trouble to cook a nice meal and a guest just grabs leftovers out of the fridge, a lock could solve this. Just remember to unlock it after, or don't. ;)

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    mentalwastelandmentalwasteland Posts: 19 Member
    Every time I start a new sim, I get them moved in, they get hungry, I cook four servings so I don't have to cook all of the time, then the Welcoming Committee moochers show up, clean out my fridge, and leave me with inedible fruitcake. It's like they're the local mafia or something!
  • Options
    mentalwastelandmentalwasteland Posts: 19 Member
    Oh, and I'd like to lock faucets so my sim doesn't go get a glass of water all the time! :D
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Every time I start a new sim, I get them moved in, they get hungry, I cook four servings so I don't have to cook all of the time, then the Welcoming Committee moochers show up, clean out my fridge, and leave me with inedible fruitcake. It's like they're the local mafia or something!
    Ugh, tell me about it. I always forget not to cook something when starting because they will just devour everything in there, I had a sim with a great cooking skill cook something amazing (and expensive) and then that exact situation happened to me. The plumming food mafia strikes again
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member

All hail Sulani! They give you very edible Kalua Pork instead of a fruitcake when you live there.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

All hail Sulani! They give you very edible Kalua Pork instead of a fruitcake when you live there.

Actually the Welcome Wagon in Sulani brings Kava. The pork is a separate thing that can happen more than once, even more than once a week. I pity the vegetarian sims living in Sulani.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Many players complain that the Sims should be more like real life. Well, if you don't have a fridge that locks IRL, you don't need one in the game.

Well IRL, people have been known to padlock the fridge soooooo this is really a false statement. IRL, friends of mine do not raid my fridge without asking either so if they are going to make it like real life, they are failing.
  • Options
    thaweeYthaweeY Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm very worried about my friend. We've known each other for a little over a year and a half but we didn't start to hang out extensively until I invited her to spend Thanksgiving with my family. Since then I have noticed some behaviors that really alarm me.

She is quite skinny - her BMI is just this side of underweight. However, she is constantly trying to find the perfect diet, even trying to rope me into researching with her, and she divulged her target weight to me which is definitely underweight for her height. Since January she has tried keto and intermittent fasting (not at the same time) and she constantly berates herself if she fails at them even slightly. bakingreview.com
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yeah, the ability to lock your fridge would be nice. As things are now, having an open-plan home or a home where the kitchen entrance is an open archway just makes things frustrating when people come over.

Really, we've needed that since TS2, with nannies who just randomly made Baked Alaska whenever they showed up. Remember that hot mess?
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    coogee78coogee78 Posts: 177 Member
    Locking fridges would be great. I like to get my sims to cook several party sized meals to last them a while. It is very annoying to watch other sims clean out the fridge at an event, especially when there is already low hunger/high calorie party food out for them.

Easels and cauldrons would be good to lock as well, I'm sick of having to scrap paintings and stop my non magical sims from cooking in the cauldron all the time. Admittedly these are not as bad as the fridges, but if they can lock objects, they might as well lock all the ones that it does not make sense for other sims to be using.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I would love a locking feature on refrigerators! In addition to keeping visitors from eating all your food, it would be great for when you have a Sim with the Glutton trait! Sims with that trait eat constantly whether they're hungry or not.

Also, I'd finally be able to keep a birthday cake in there instead of putting it in the household inventory so others don't have a chance to eat it before the birthday.

Plus, it would solve the frustration of impatient household members grabbing food out of the fridge to eat instead of waiting for the meal another Sim is currently cooking for them.

Lastly, the family cook could even prepare appropriate meals for breakfast/lunch/dinner ahead of time and then call to meal. Might even help with those who like to take screenshots of families eating a meal together at the table at the same time. Especially if you have Parenthood. Just keep place settings on a dining table, call to meal and voila! A nice family dinner shot for stories or whatever. :)