Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Even Occult Bro? (Discussion)

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm on a mission to play all the premade families in game on a rotation including any occults. I like playing different types of sims it keeps things interesting. The only kind I don't want to play are ghosts cause I think it's weird, stay dead.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2019
    I know that it is objectively wrong to enjoy occult sims, but I do. I like being immortal, or having the ability to command the minds of others, or have peculiar perks and quirks. I know that I should not, as playing a "realistic" -- as if the Stepford suburban depiction is realistic -- is the only true way to play a Sims game. I know that I am subhuman for doing so. But, alas, I do like them.

For shame. For shame.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I got GTW specifically so I could have aliens. One of my custom Sims is married to an alien, and they have three beautiful human/alien babies.

I also have IL but haven't had much chance to play with it yet so haven't found mermaids yet. I don't have any other packs yet so can't comment on the other occults.
  • Options
    SkosalgSkosalg Posts: 165 Member
    Friea wrote: »
    So! With the addition of a new occult Sim, I find myself sitting there staring at CAS not wanting to be ANY of the occult options. I have my gripes about all of them honestly but here's the thing, I always tend to just make a normal sim. I find the occult Sims to be... novelty. Cool for the moment when they come out and maybe neat to have in your game here and there but I just don't go out of my way to be any type of occult Sim.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there are plenty that feel opposite and enjoy them but man I just... don't wanna micromanage things that come along with them. While spellcasters can live a relatively normal life with no micromanagement, I sincerely can not play vampires.
    Vampires thirst is annoying to manage because the blood packets don't fill needs enough (I feel) and then if you have an introvert Sim, finding someone to bite is sometimes a challenge... and then sometimes the bite fails. The sun situation is understandable but annoying if you want to go to a festival or something.

I don't know why but I just don't enjoy the Occult sims past maybe a week after their release so here's my question, what is your favorite occult and what is your most hated? Why?

My favorite I suppose is Spellcasters because it has the smallest impact on lifestyle
    My most hated is Vampires because they are annoying to manage.

Oh but you are missing out of so much fun. Your concerns are easy fixes. For examle, if you rank up as a vampire, you can choose to be a daywalker, and the sun will be no problem. When it comes to food, I always make a Snack club, so whenever my vampire is hungry: clubgathering. Surely, the club members are pretty miserable from being fed on, but who cares? >:)
  • Options
    doublenoodlesdoublenoodles Posts: 89 Member
    I haven't purchased any occult pack in all sim franchises. My least favourite is aliens as I had to have them in my game because of get to work.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Sims 3: Supernatural is what sold me on The Sims, seeing my niece play one Christmas when she got the game, and I played occult Sims heavily. I leaned toward Witches, Werewolves and Fairies - I do not care for Vampires and never warmed to Ghosts.

I do like that TS4 seems to be giving occult lifestates their own game packs, and Realm of Magic is the first pack I have gone out of my way to buy at release, to demonstrate in business terms my approval. While my usual practice is to wait for initial bugs to be resolved (which goes for all games, really), I was excited for this variety of gameplay, and unwilling to wait.

Spellcasters are a good occult lifestate for me, in that you can involve their magic as much or as little as you like. I am finding reasons not to fix everything with magic, and develop skills as well, but even if my Sim is working on, say, maxing out their Cooking skill, something like Delicioso is handy if they are out and about and a motive drops into the yellow or orange zone. But meanwhile, the Sim appears an largely behaves as an ordinary Sim. The magic is an adjunct to Simming, where it need not be the whole story.

Vampires, and ghosts, feel different to me, and aren't something I care to have in my game. Werewolves are again more situational. I look forward to seeing how TS4 treats them, if indeed they do.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I'm not a fan of Aliens, I like mermaids, but I love vampires and witches. In 3 I always made a witch and she always fell for either Dante Morganthe or Vladamir Schlick, not vampires, and soon would wish to be one too. I've finally got a game now where my witch just married a vampire, she's staying a witch this time. I just love playing those types, and with the new immortality potion my witch can live forever too
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm kind of indifferent about occults
    I've never really understood the obsession with them nor the hatred of them

The only ones I haven't really used yet are aliens, but only because the desire hasn't come up yet (I doubt it ever will)
    I had quite a bit of fun playing a hardcore-style vampire with a debilitating set of weaknesses, but they feel too easy if I try to play them any other way. The spellcaster I currently just like for teleporting around.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I have exclusively waiting for vampire to release before playing the sims 4, as I tend to play with the same character but refuse to use any immortality rewards so i resort on vampirism, also I like everything about vampire have been playing with it since sims 3, I like that I can customise vampire darkform and skilltree so I can freely use my imagination to customise what kind of vampire sims will be. werewolf is the second choice, other occult type next and then spellcaster in the bottom.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    I'm kind of indifferent about occults
    I've never really understood the obsession with them nor the hatred of them

The only ones I haven't really used yet are aliens, but only because the desire hasn't come up yet (I doubt it ever will)
    I had quite a bit of fun playing a hardcore-style vampire with a debilitating set of weaknesses, but they feel too easy if I try to play them any other way. The spellcaster I currently just like for teleporting around.

It's fun to be a sorcerer in a non dungeon crawler :3
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    I like vampires because I like animation of them sucking other sims. And glowy eyes. Thats it.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Yes!!! I love them all.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    Mermaids are my favourite, not just because I love mermaids but because they are so simple. sure having more powers would be cool but honestly I'm not a big fan of the tier system. the mermaids are pretty. they have some cool spells. I love everything about them! it's easy to play a normal life but play as a mermaid at the same time. same with the

Vampires and witches are my least favourite. the witches seem like remakes of vampires with spells and potions... how cool...? the only reason I use spellcasters is to remake characters from an anime I watch. they are fun to play don't get me wrong just I don't like them.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Spellcasters are at the top of the list, along with witches, mages, and wizards. :D Like SimTrippy most of my sims were witches in Sims 3...love them this time around too.

Vampires are next, and I love the way devs did them. I just wish they would tweak the hunger. Thank heavens I have UI Extension otherwise my vamps would starve.

The others fall into the also ran list, just never got into playing plantsim, and ghosts and aliens are of no intrest.

I have a storyline going now that combines the vampires' family with the spellcasters' family, seeing as how they are now all family. I have a large vampire family in FH, takes up all the houses in FH. The only sim who is the pivotial one in this family is the spellcaster. She has a longtime boyfriend who will be a spellcaster and they will give birth to the family's only pure bred witch/wizard. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm on a mission to play all the premade families in game on a rotation including any occults. I like playing different types of sims it keeps things interesting. The only kind I don't want to play are ghosts cause I think it's weird, stay dead.

I think playing the ghosts would be more fun, if they didn't still have the exact same needs as a living Sim. Ghosts don't eat, so they shouldn't have to use the toilet for anything. Nor should they need sleep. Now, entertainment should revolve around ghostly things, such as scaring the living half out of their minds, or even to death. Mischief. They need to be more mischievous and not so 'Caspar the Friendly Ghost'. I loved the Ghosts in Sims2. Yes, it was hard to lose a favorite Sim to being scared to death. (She had just had her third baby, first was twins) and the ghost scared her not once but twice. She survived round one, but succumbed to the second fright. That left her husband and father-in-law to try to care for twin toddlers and an infant. Mother-in-law managed to starve herself to death, despite my directing her to eat several times earlier in the game. So, I did the only thing I could. I scrapped that game and started over.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

I think playing the ghosts would be more fun, if they didn't still have the exact same needs as a living Sim. Ghosts don't eat, so they shouldn't have to use the toilet for anything. Nor should they need sleep. Now, entertainment should revolve around ghostly things, such as scaring the living half out of their minds, or even to death. Mischief. They need to be more mischievous and not so 'Caspar the Friendly Ghost'. I loved the Ghosts in Sims2. Yes, it was hard to lose a favorite Sim to being scared to death. (She had just had her third baby, first was twins) and the ghost scared her not once but twice. She survived round one, but succumbed to the second fright. That left her husband and father-in-law to try to care for twin toddlers and an infant. Mother-in-law managed to starve herself to death, despite my directing her to eat several times earlier in the game. So, I did the only thing I could. I scrapped that game and started over.

Since ghosts and Plant Sims are base game I'm hoping one day they might be improved upon. All I want for plant sims is to make them permanent and have plant babies. Ghosts I want to see have maybe a unique need while never needing to worry about bladder, hunger, sleep, or hygiene. Maybe get rid on bladder and energy and give them a large bar like vampires for ectoplasma. Every time they interact with the world by scaring a sim or levitating an object they use up some of their bar, and can only replenish by returning to their gravestone for a time or sucking the life force from a sim.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    My favorite is mermaids. My least favorite are plantSims. I hate temp states for occults, always have since Sims 3 days with zombies. I totally support more occults coming to the Sims 4 and wouldn't mind a new one like satyr. I prefer separate packs for them especially with how Sims 3 executed them with the Supernatural pack. That's the thing is some occults Simmers prefer over others so seems more fair to put them in different packs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I always cheat needs so I can't say I have your frustrations.
    I adore Witches and Vampires, because of their complexity.
    And I dislike Mermaids the most because I feel like they were a big missed opportunity, it's mostly aesthetics.

Aliens bother me because it's so easy to discover their identity, I wish it were tougher and more tactical. And there'd be consequences if you were found out by someone who doesn't like you.
    Ghosts are useless, and why do they have needs still? That makes no sense.
    And lets not mention plantsims.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I love making hybrids. I made an alien/vampire/mermaid after Island Living came out. I plan to have a quadhybrid by adding Spellcaster with full powers & perks.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    dfstone wrote: »
    I like vampires because I like animation of them sucking other sims. And glowy eyes. Thats it.

I love that this time they have options for biting on the neck if you tell them too, in 3 they could be biting their wife and still bite on wrist, I hated that, I wish it was always a neck bite, I love that they at least added those options
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I love making hybrids. I made an alien/vampire/mermaid after Island Living came out. I plan to have a quadhybrid by adding Spellcaster with full powers & perks.
    That is so cool, I love hybrids too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Whenever I try to dabble in occult sims I end up aimlessly fooling around with their novelty powers and then quickly get tired of it and return to “realistic” play.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I think it’s all interesting to me. I tend to play more with human sims with a dabble of weird here and there, but I think my next game save will be more men in black style. With all these different beings living among us, but unbeknownst by most, which is a perfect world for those “conspiracy theorist” sims. I think I want to build worlds with different communities of supernatural types, like Willow Creek could a be community made up mostly of plant sims and New Crest could have many alien residents, San Myshuno could be a mix of alien, human, and witches; and Forgotten Hollow & Glimmerbrook can be a mix of vamps and witches, and so on...Plus building will be quite interesting.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I actually have more fun with supernatural sims than normal sims. The powers and quirks they have just make life more interesting. Plus, I'm a big fantasy and sci-fi nerd, so I get bored easily with most down-to-earth, slice-of-life stories. Unless the characters are really interestingly written or something action-packed or borderline sci-fi is going down, I don't watch or read anything about normal people doing normal stuff because it bores me to death (hence, why I absolutely despise the book Bridge to Tarabithia, because it got my hopes up for an assigned reading that would actually be something I like to read, and turned out to be boring trash about boring kids playing pretend in the woods).
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Until recently vampires were my usual go-to occult, mostly because of all their energy and the possibility to give it a boost with dark meditation and no need for bathroom breaks, and of course immortality.

However, after ROM came out, spellcasters take first place now, basically because of all the fun things they can do and although the disappointment of the so called "immortal" potion I can still keep them young forever with a "zillion" rejuvenation potions, technically keeping them immortal in a way while they can still work on that tan and enjoy a good meal.

Aliens are okay but not that interesting, and using telepathy to learn other sims' traits gets old fast.

Mermaids are on the bottom of my list. I mean, it's cool to see them transform when they're in the water, and it's cute that they can call on dolphins but that doesn't keep me interested for long, I feel like I'm playing with an ordinary sim who will die if they don't shower or get wet otherwise in time.