Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

things you *like* about ROM

I was really excited when they announced the theme of this pack, but I'm holding off for a little while, because I have too much going on IRL this month. Not surprisingly, I've seen a lot of complaints or issues people have with the pack, which is totally fair and understandable, and is actually very helpful to me in deciding how long to wait before I purchase it. (I will buy it, inevitably, but I have learned my lesson and may wait until the major issues are patched.)

But, to balance the scales a little, I am curious to hear more about what people are loving so far about the game... aside from the world, which looks gorgeous in the trailers.

Comments

• Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    unknown.png
    The fact I can tun a temple guardian into a caster and then kick his skinless butt is fairly hilarious
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    The flexibility of making a wide range of spellcaster types or even a god like one by going down separate paths, combining them or doing it all. I'm really impressed with this.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    This is fairly minor atm, but I adore all the little animations. How as you progress they shift a little bit, the bits of detail added here and there- I really do love the little flourishes they added more than any other game so far!
  • Options
    This is fairly minor atm, but I adore all the little animations. How as you progress they shift a little bit, the bits of detail added here and there- I really do love the little flourishes they added more than any other game so far!

Magical Training is so much more fun to watch then Vampiric
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I like the amount of spells and potions and I especially like some of the practical magic stuff....like can I just make every sim magic so they can repario everything? Lol
  • Options
    I think I heard this on Pop station... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwGytxQsNIQ It's fabulous
  • Options
    FrieaFriea Posts: 54 Member
    I like the decor.
    Build/Buy items that came with ROM are amazing and gorgeous. They make for interesting builds and flashy houses... for witches or just normal sims.
    Love it
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I really like all the story telling possibilities. Do you want a dark, gothic, evil spellcaster who lives in a fantastical tower? Do it. Want a quiet cottage witch in the forest with potion ingredients she grows herself? Do that. Or a modern sim who lives just like everyone else maybe a freelance programmer with secret powers and a magic world they go to to train and study their art? You can do that too! To me that’s just fun.

I’ve seen a lot of the complaints but other than the bugs, I just don’t agree with them. It’s ok if people think it’s lacking and want to voice their opinions... I just don’t agree :). I love the sims 4. I don’t compare it to any other version of the sims. I don’t expect or want it to be any other version of the sims. Every new pack is a new story to tell but it’s still playing the same game which I already love. That’s just my thoughts though, sorry for rambling :D
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Loving everything! The build/buy is gorgeous, spells are useful and fun, potions do some very useful things. The animations are great. My gripes are all tiny things. So glad I have this pack and I see as much fun to come out of it as I have with my beloved vampires.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2019
    It seems like the game is keen on picking certain details.

Unless it’s random and my sims are lucky every time.

When my sims are dueling my light sorcerer has the color blue as his power particle effect, and my dark sorcerer has red as his. And it’s been like that. So I don’t know what those factors are. But the fact that those always have the right particle effects.

I wish we could customize our spellcasters magic effects there would be so many colors, gold, red, blue, green, purple, that way I could identify “who cast that spell?”
    If it was Green then I know Vincent is around, blue okay Kaegan is near, purple Daerick, Gold that was Mason, Red that was Cora.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    It’s easier and more enjoyable to level as a caster than it is with vampires
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I'm really enjoying myself with ROM. I like the spells & potions, the new world is beautiful. Build & buy is awesome. I like being able to have my sim's pet as their familiar. It's quickly become one of my favorite game packs, right up there with Parenthood.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    I like the different spells, the fact sims are not bound to choosing one kind of magic, the ability to choose between wand magic and hand magic, a lot of perks to choose from. The feeling of the magic realm is great and different from anything we had before. And to top it all off we got some gorgeous windows and furniture.
  • Options
    ToyGunGunToyGunGun Posts: 9 New Member
    I love how easy spells make my life.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Gameplay is great, and I am enjoying it. But what sent me over the moon? Build/Buy! If I look closely, I can see the hand of at least two artists on the Art Noveau stuff, one of whom doesn't quite get it (the kitchen appliances are examples of design I don't think quite arrives at target), but at least one other REALLY took a deep dive, and came up with some spectacular designs.

• Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I like that there are so many different spells to explore and that you aren’t limited to one type of magic. You could still easily have a spellcaster with one type of magic if you chose to though from what I can see. I’ve always loved potions and alchemy in sims but that won’t be as exciting until we can sell them.

I honestly like that it adds ease to every day tasks in a fun way.

I like that you can make unique spellcasters due to the sheer amount of perks to choose from.

I adore the B&B and CAS assets

Glimmerbrook and the Realm are both beautiful. The realm is just unbelievable, whoever designed that is a genius. Glimmerbrook is just pretty and secluded feeling which I love I wish it was bigger, but for $20 dollars I think it’s plenty even if the builds are really rough.

And lastly the little details and touches made to the pack, the familiars, the animations, the different ways you can level up and learn.

I have very few complaints here. This pack is great, one of my favorites for sure.

• Options
    unknown.png

It's so much funner to watch Casters train then vampires...
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Having played for a while now that I dug myself out of the absolute beauty that is build/buy, I've gotta say, Scruberoo and Repario are lifesavers.

And trying to figure out if (since Scruberoo isn't an option) setting the litterbox on fire and then repairing it would clean it was fun. With not fun consequences of having to replace/repair other things, but still fun :D (answer: no, it stays dirty. also it can be duplicated and the new one will also be dirty)
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Having played for a while now that I dug myself out of the absolute beauty that is build/buy, I've gotta say, Scruberoo and Repario are lifesavers.

And trying to figure out if (since Scruberoo isn't an option) setting the litterbox on fire and then repairing it would clean it was fun. With not fun consequences of having to replace/repair other things, but still fun :D (answer: no, it stays dirty. also it can be duplicated and the new one will also be dirty)

Good to know; if a spell can't clean the litterbox for me, what is even the point? :D

(But honestly, if we had spells in real life, that's the first thing I'd want!)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2019
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Good to know; if a spell can't clean the litterbox for me, what is even the point? :D

(But honestly, if we had spells in real life, that's the first thing I'd want!)

Teleport (Mist form: Cloud of red or gold smoke) or Fireball would be mine. Just so I can leave/enter rooms in dramatic ways. plus it would be so cool to hold a ball of fire and not get burned. I really wish sims could play/practice magic in that way conjure a ball of fire, and play with it in their hands, maybe juggle it. Pose for pictures with it... Stand idly holding a Ball of fire.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I love being able to fix and clean stuff with magic, and that you can teleport. Also that you can fix your sim's needs with a swig of a potion. :smiley:
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    I like how versatile is the magic system. My current spellcaster is all about gardening, brewing potions, and practical magic. When she became pregnant, she shared the news with her boyfriend (Morgyn) and asked him to teach her some useful spell. He showed how to cast Duplicato - a spell which can create a copy of herself to help with the baby and house chores.

I also like curses. They are really interesting to play with. My spellcaster once had a Curse of Repulsiveness. It wasn't a big deal for her because she was not a social type, but it was fun to see her green and ugly from time to time, just like Fiona in the "Shrek" movie :smile:
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I just got it and hadn't played with the game too much and probably won't for awhile as I am getting ready to leave for vacation and have to leave my laptop behind; but I love how sims can get cursed so there are risks involved.

Currently my sim has two curses and the first time it freaked me out as I thought she died when something went wrong with a potion. Also funny seeing her cast a fire spell that backfired.

I love how there are so many options with this magic system. You can even ride a mop if you want (reminded of me of Hocus Pocus when there brooms were stolen and one had to use a vacuum), can use your hands or wands. Most used hands do their abilities.

I also like there is no good or bad spellcasters, so they can use any type of magic they want instead of being limited. I find it way more versatile and fun. I even just created a Sabrina sim. I have her as a townie and always see her in the magic realm.

Also really love CAS and Build and Buy items. Everything that I had been waiting for.
  • Options
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    I just got it and hadn't played with the game too much and probably won't for awhile as I am getting ready to leave for vacation and have to leave my laptop behind; but I love how sims can get cursed so there are risks involved.

Currently my sim has two curses and the first time it freaked me out as I thought she died when something went wrong with a potion. Also funny seeing her cast a fire spell that backfired.

I love how there are so many options with this magic system. You can even ride a mop if you want (reminded of me of Hocus Pocus when there brooms were stolen and one had to use a vacuum), can use your hands or wands. Most used hands do their abilities.

I also like there is no good or bad spellcasters, so they can use any type of magic they want instead of being limited. I find it way more versatile and fun. I even just created a Sabrina sim. I have her as a townie and always see her in the magic realm.

Also really love CAS and Build and Buy items. Everything that I had been waiting for.

Uncontrollable Charge could possibly kill you get a familiar stat. Their the little orbs all over the place.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    I love how much work it took me to get my sim rid of the curse of unwarranted hostility. Like they weren't fighting all the time, but enough that it got in the way and made things harder. I also like how my sim with all the positive parenthood character traits was less bothered by it, than my other sim who has several of the negative parenthood traits