Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

things you *like* about ROM

2...Next

Comments

• amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I love that there's genuinely so much to learn in terms of spells and potions. I didn't expect the amount of learned abilities they gave us. It really feels to me that you have to work hard to master magic which I find really entertaining. It keeps my game interesting for longer.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    I also like how they basically made the magic realm an open neighborhood. Where I can have one sim practicing magic in the magic hq, while my other sim can go visit the shops.
    I love that there's genuinely so much to learn in terms of spells and potions. I didn't expect the amount of learned abilities they gave us. It really feels to me that you have to work hard to master magic which I find really entertaining. It keeps my game interesting for longer.

oh yes, and even when a sim does know a spell or a potion, that doesn't mean it'll be of good quality, so you have a reason to keep them practicing so they can improve at it.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I love that my mischievous spellcaster can really send sim marriages over the edge lol. Gwen has cast her fair share of Furio spells, and it has led to her neighbors, the Casters, be super in love with each other while also 100% despising each other. Which is hilarious, cause when I'm over at their house they'll woohoo (with that one interaction you get when lovers hate each other), then just go on arguing about whatever xD It fits them really well. In general, the mischief spells are just kinda hilarious. Especially when they backfire.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I adore this pack; I love the beauty of both neighbourhoods (I’ve already edited the Magic HQ to make it a magic school with dormitories, classrooms, and a small refectory as well as a green house and an ingredient garden, and now I want to play there all the time) and how well designed they are. The collectibles are nice too.

I also love the spells and potions; I
    read lots of complaints on this forum last week about how weak and cheaty some people found them but I don’t feel that way at all. I find them powerful and I love the animations. For instance my sim’s basil plant died (she spent too long in the magic realm and forgot to water it or hire a gardener). She had just learned herbio (and was in a fairly happy state without too much charge), so I had her cast it and to my delight it revived the dead plant to a green and healthy state, raised its quality to nice, and put it on the verge of evolution to the next stage (which my sim did immediately).

I also love how you can customize your spellcasters and make them all different. At the same time I was playing with a spellcaster who was specializing in potions and practical magic and another who was doing Mischief and Untamed magic: they developed really differently. My potion-making Sim never produces a potion of a quality that’s less than normal, and generally it’s at the level of excellent; she is also pretty good at practical spells. She did have some failures early on (with hilarious results), but not any more. However she was really bad at duels mostly losing and lots of the untamed and other spells she would use would frequently fail (copypasto often set rare potions or ingredients on fire and reduced them to dust; she also set herself on fire a few times just trying to light the fireplace).

In contrast her roommate was mainly a spellcaster but brewed potions on the side. His potions were nearly always poor quality, or they blew up and cursed him hilariously, but he was an excellent duellist, winning many rare ingredients and artifacts, and his Untamed spells rarely went wrong (though he did die twice from being overcharged due to casting too many spells close together — luckily his familiar was there to raise him back up). So they are quite different from each other in abilities and interests. Even better, perk points are not so frequent that you can get everything for a sim, so you have to develop them along a particular track. It really affects how they do magic.

There are other aspects of this pack I enjoy but these are the main ones. I would highly recommend it if you like magic gameplay at all.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I usually spend my time building, but I played Vampires a lot. I didn't play much until Get Famous dropped. I played some when Strangerville came out, but Realm of Magic is the most I've played in a short time. I stop building so I can play everyday. It's not perfect, but I'm having fun and isn't that what it's really all about?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I usually spend my time building, but I played Vampires a lot. I didn't play much until Get Famous dropped. I played some when Strangerville came out, but Realm of Magic is the most I've played in a short time. I stop building so I can play everyday. It's not perfect, but I'm having fun and isn't that what it's really all about?

This exactly. Normally I spend most of my time in build mode because that's what feels like home. And this pack has so much lovely stuff there.
    But when I finished a house with this pack and went to do a quick playtest, I didn't emerge until hours later, with two spellcasters in the household (and improvements to the house to fit them) because the gameplay is so much fun.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Buy/build, so far.

I have only had an hour or two a day with this pack since it launched, so I am quite behind everyone else.
    I have never been so inspired to build since getting this pack. I can't leave my lot alone.

When the pack was announced, I started building a version of one of my TS3 homes I built for TS3 Supernatural.
    I was just going to take ROM content and slap it on it.
    09-08-19_9-20-29nbspPM.png

Well I did that, but the windows and doors looked so nice, I was inspired to take the build much further than a simple tower.
    I began to add on.
    09-13-19_1-36-50nbspAM.png

Blah blah... the journey plus more pics.
    I had an asymmetrical design going, but decided I wanted a greenhouse and extra bedrooms.
    09-13-19_1-38-19nbspAM.png

This is going to be a mansion.
    09-14-19_12-32-25nbspAM.png

The master bedroom on the top floor should have a small observation deck.
    09-15-19_5-08-52nbspPM.png

That little awning above the door is not part of ROM, but it's a nice fit.
    09-15-19_5-10-29nbspPM.png
    And there it is.
    All I need to do is figure out the interior design for the great room and the family room, and what I need to do for the basement.
    09-15-19_5-10-54nbspPM.png

I did enlist the help of two witchy-noob sims to play test this home.
    09-15-19_3-19-17nbspPM.png

09-15-19_3-20-26nbspPM.png

They have been a great help.
    I also had them adopt some daughters to make this place better for kids.
    09-15-19_10-34-34nbspAM.png

I hope the game play is as enjoyable as the setting I am building for them.
    Things are a bit slow as I try to unlock more spells and potions, but I don't want to spam the sages with requests for knowledge.
    09-15-19_3-05-12nbspPM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • DeleteDelete Posts: 27 Member
    Ik a lot of things have been already said but I absolutely adore the CAS in the game. Im an alpha CC player and I still use the CC from this pack on my spell casters and bohemian sims. The story telling possibilities are endless too and really fun to play through! If I was to explain my current save that would take a couple of simlets lol... As a couple of people have mentioned there are 3 different kinds of magic that really make sim lives more interesting, the practical magic, untamed magic and mischief magic. Broom riding looks awesome as well. I haven't gotten too deep in the pack as of yet since in my game my household is taking it slow but so far everything is amazing and is way beyond my expectations (though I tend to keep them pretty low when it comes to ts4) There is so much to do with the pack i dont see myself getting tired of it anytime soon.

Also. Morgyn. Idk I just like his design. You can always download him off the gallery but still. I also didn't mention the cauldrons. I havent done anything but make mac and cheese in it (since the sims im playing are strictly spell casters) but even that is pretty cool

Plus the things like random townies appearing in the realm and becoming mages can easily be fixed by mods.

Im really just a fan of anything magic honestly so it makes sense that this is my favourite game pack so far.
    Delete wrote: »
    Ik a lot of things have been already said but I absolutely adore the CAS in the game. Im an alpha CC player and I still use the CC from this pack on my spell casters and bohemian sims. The story telling possibilities are endless too and really fun to play through! If I was to explain my current save that would take a couple of simlets lol... As a couple of people have mentioned there are 3 different kinds of magic that really make sim lives more interesting, the practical magic, untamed magic and mischief magic. Broom riding looks awesome as well. I haven't gotten too deep in the pack as of yet since in my game my household is taking it slow but so far everything is amazing and is way beyond my expectations (though I tend to keep them pretty low when it comes to ts4) There is so much to do with the pack i dont see myself getting tired of it anytime soon.

Also. Morgyn. Idk I just like his design. You can always download him off the gallery but still. I also didn't mention the cauldrons. I havent done anything but make mac and cheese in it (since the sims im playing are strictly spell casters) but even that is pretty cool

Plus the things like random townies appearing in the realm and becoming mages can easily be fixed by mods.

Im really just a fan of anything magic honestly so it makes sense that this is my favourite game pack so far.

honestly, I rather like the idea of random townies showing up as mages, because it makes it feel like the magic was always there, our sims just weren't aware of it before, but now that their eyes are open, they find out that it was everywhere around them.
    liliaeth wrote: »
    Delete wrote: »

honestly, I rather like the idea of random townies showing up as mages, because it makes it feel like the magic was always there, our sims just weren't aware of it before, but now that their eyes are open, they find out that it was everywhere around them.

To some extent yes, but I find it weird to have Sulani islanders and all other manner of sims turn up there who just absolutely don't look the part. There are just way too many showing up there, and I want magic to be more exclusive, just like vampires. I really hope they tone that down or change it somehow.
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2019
    Ok, I was nt that enthusiastic about ROM a few days ago but I ve played a bit more and I ve changed my mind. I ve been testing how evil my evil witch can actually be and it’s actually kinda fun. She s been stealing whatever she wants from random houses, mind controlling them to make her food and turning them into ice statues. However my favourite was when she set the beds on fires with two sleeping sims in them and the sims caught fire and died, she s now going to move in on the rich widower, marry him and bump him off too, I m so glad she has found an indirect way to kill sims. 😀
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    It’s funny because I seem to be at the opposite end of a lot of a lot of the critics where the more I play the game, the more I adore it.

There are so many uses for the spells, the system is fun, and there are so many ways to plot storylines with curses and potions.

And the build/buy, oh lord the build/buy. We have a huge art museum in our city that has a whole section devoted to the art nouveau style, with a branch for stained glass specifically, and I always wanted parts of that to be in my own house. So to be able to decorate my sim’s places with that is amazing.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    One of my greatest fears was that witches would all be the same in the end, or just good and evil like in TS2. I was hoping for different styles of magic that you can mix and match as you please, and that's exactly what I got, so I'm very happy with that. I also love the new CAS and BB items, they enabled me to furnish this wonderful magic room that my simself spends most of her time in now!

ts4_x642019-09-1618-1w3k9f.png

ts4_x642019-09-1618-1yzjh7.png

(Well, not really, there's only so much you can do with the cauldron and the chimney, but isn't it beautiful? <3 )
    One of my greatest fears was that witches would all be the same in the end, or just good and evil like in TS2. I was hoping for different styles of magic that you can mix and match as you please, and that's exactly what I got, so I'm very happy with that. I also love the new CAS and BB items, they enabled me to furnish this wonderful magic room that my simself spends most of her time in now!

ts4_x642019-09-1618-1w3k9f.png

ts4_x642019-09-1618-1yzjh7.png

(Well, not really, there's only so much you can do with the cauldron and the chimney, but isn't it beautiful? <3 )

Where did you get that lovely wall pattern?
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @SimTrippy This wallpaper as well as some of the clutter are part of the free fanmade Pufferhead stuff pack that came out a while before Realm of Magic. Even if you're not a fan of Harry Potter, which it was inspired by, the stuff goes nicely with the new magic BB items, and there's even a decorative owl that looks almost exactly like the familiar.
    @SimTrippy This wallpaper as well as some of the clutter are part of the free fanmade Pufferhead stuff pack that came out a while before Realm of Magic. Even if you're not a fan of Harry Potter, which it was inspired by, the stuff goes nicely with the new magic BB items, and there's even a decorative owl that looks almost exactly like the familiar.

Cool thanks for the link! Love Harry Potter & the stuff looks great <3
    edited September 2019
    @GrumpyGlowfish omg the items in this CC pack are beautiful!!! Love them all, thanks again <3

ETA: I mean, come on, it even has gameplay items xD
    uenjvXw.png
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I just want to say how happy I am that the weekend is almost here. I was a bit nervous when I started my Sims on the road to spellcaster magnificence, as I'd never played another life state, but I was having so much fun with the pack on Sunday. Finally get to play again tomorrow! (Stupid job.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Its a good pack. With less bugs it, in my opinion, has the potential to be great. The bugs are frustrating. I wonder though, with the bloodline bug, are my born-in-game sims who inherit the bloodline trait by being 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc... generation going to have major problems with the perks tree and points system like the cheated bloodline trait sims? I hope not, and if its a yes, I hope it gets fixed very very soon because for me, and I'm sure for many others, that would make the pack sort of unplayable. Like many I'm, at heart, a family player, and making an inherited family trait unusable would really put a damper on the fun.

Pros as I see them:
    1. The spells and potions are pretty extensive. More so than I expected for a 20 dollar pack to be honest.
    2. I love the perks system that got added in the Vampires pack and seems to have come forward to Celebs and Casters. I'm glad they implemented it in a way that makes you feel you are working and studying towards getting better at your craft.
    3. Duels are fun and I love that you can duel for knowledge, potion ingredients, and a few other things. I love spoils of war.

Cons as I see them:
    1. The bugs make the pack virtually unplayable under certain circumstances. I have one save where my caster cannot gain any skill/perk points at all. Been through the Help HQ place and all the work arounds I could find without any success there. Hoping for a fix soon.
    2. The bloodline trait bug. Sucks that my born in game sims of 2, 3, 4 + generations will bug out and not be able to keep their perk traits because of it. It makes playing a family line of casters almost impossible without cheats.
    3. I hate most of the CAS assets for this pack. I'm sad that with all the creativity and glamour that could easily be attributed to a pack like that was ignored in favor of drab, boring colors, and grandma/grandpa-like fashion choices.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.