Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Day In The Life: Victorian Teen

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I didn't get everything I wanted with regard to clothing, but I think I got enough to make it work with outfits from Vampires and Get Famous as well, and I just bought Vintage Glamour which may be of use. I started setting up last night. The Goths got their makeover and a new home, everyone else got deleted. I changed a few things in MCCC but I still have to change the Goths' careers and possibly Morty's aspiration, and delete or modify houses and communal lots. I am forcing myself not to create the other residents until the new update happens.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    As a long time Victorian fan I very much appreciate and applaud your work. The screenshots are very nice and convey the feeling of the era very well, as do your captions. Was going to ask where you got your items, but other posters have answered the question for me. If you need help with period houses ebay has several reprints of Victorian house plans books put out by Dover. I have several and they have been a big help. Admittedly most of my Victorian simming has been in TS2, which has more in the way of building materials and the world design enables massive conversions. As for fun things, the Victorians were big on art and crafting things as well as gardens. Your work inspires to try it in four, once they fix the June patch wreckage.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @Oldeseadogge Thank you! Thanks for the tip about Dover books on ebay, too. I usually pin some google images of whatever I'm trying to build, build the outer shell from those pictures, and then fill in the interior. I really liked building in Sims 2, also (didn't really get into Sims 3). That makes me so happy that my work inspired you to consider doing a Victorian save. I hope you will share some screenshots when you do! :)
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    You're very welcome. There is a surprisingly large amount of material out there, from reprints of period books (not just building plans) to photographic essays of surviving buildings. Ellen Plante has some of interiors that will make your mouth water, absolutely lovely. Some points to remember: Victorian refers to a time period (~1840-1900), not an architectural style. There were at least 5 major styles, and many builders combined features. Despite their staid reputation, Victorians loved color, inside and out, and freely expressed that. Unlike modern designs that start with a box to be filled, Victorian designs (other than the small and simple houses) often start from the inside out based on number, size, and arrangement of rooms. One may wind up with a box in the end, but it will often have bays, ins and outs, wings, towers, turrets, and conservatories in addition. Italiante is often boxy, but with Queen Anne all bets are off. It's a relax, have fun, and be creative era.

Never got much into 3 either, most of my simming is in 2. Periodically venture into 4, but there are so many bugs, limitations, missing tools and house parts that it's more of an exercise in frustration. A pity, as there are many good features/qualities.

Have yet to master the art (witchcraft?) of photo posting. The host sites I've explored make it so complicated it seems they want to discourage use. Emailing is so much easier, but I doubt that's permitted here.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @Oldeseadogge Oh hey, you are giving me some really good ideas for building. Thx!

Posting photos is super easy. Set up a wordpress.com site, and there’s an option to have a post that is only viewable by you, so you don’t even have to worry about making your site presentable. Click on the Add Media button to add your photo, then publish and view your post, then right click the photo and choose copy image address. This forum has a box for you to plug that address into—voila.

Once you have your account set up, it takes less than 60 seconds from start to finish.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Most welcome. You are givng ideas yourself, not having heard of the Wordpress thing before. Good thing I've got this thread bookmarked as it's getting too late to do much of anything.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey there! Moved this over to the stories area.
  • Options
    Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    They all look so beautiful