Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville Questions & Tell me About It

LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
Strangerville is the only pack I don’t have at the moment (besides Island Living, obviously), and it’s on sale, so I’m curious about it.

I checked up on the CAS and BB items on the store page, and it all looked really good. :)

And it has military career, yes?

I was curious about the mystery and strange elements. I’m not really excited about those bits, and a bit apprehensive about the strange bit.

I mean, I like occults/supernaturals, but these people look a bit creepy.

Is the mystery something I can do fast? Can teens do the mysteries?

Are the strange sims intrusive? Like, do they hurt other sims or do anything harmful? Do they spread to other worlds?

If I solve the mystery and then move more sims into the neighborhood, does the mystery restart?

Anything else interesting or helpful? Any tips or advice? I forget, but are there any new cooking or harvestables? Any new collectibles?

Any good videos that give a good overview?

Any info is greatly appreciated. I’m leaning towards getting it due to the awesome sales, so I’m willing to be sold on it. :)
~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
(She/her)

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I don't own the pack, but I know that if you don't want to do the mystery there's a cheat to do it (I looked the pack up a lot), teens can do it, it can take time, the sims are not harmful, the mystery only restarts if you want it to, and if you go on YouTube and search The SIms 4 Strangerville a ton of helpful stuff shows up.

Other Information That Has Spoilers
    If you awaken the mother after defeating her, she can restart the mystery, and/or be pretty much a genie.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2019
    And it has a military career, yes?
    Yes, it does.

I was curious about the mystery and strange elements. I’m not really excited about those bits, and a bit apprehensive about the strange bit.
    Once the mystery is solved everyone in Strangerview is totally normal.

I mean, I like occults/supernaturals, but these people look a bit creepy.
    They are not occult/supernatural sims, just infected.

Is the mystery something I can do fast? Can teens do the mysteries?
    Yes and yes

Are the strange sims intrusive? Like, do they hurt other sims or do anything harmful? Do they spread to other worlds?
    The only way the infection would spread to other worlds would be if the player purposely does something to make it happen. The infected sims won't attack or harm anyone. If an infected sim does show up in another world, when they get there they will look and act normal.

If I solve the mystery and then move more sims into the neighborhood, does the mystery restart?
    There is only one way to restart the mystery, and this is totally left up to the player. If you don't want to ever deal with it again, you won't have to in the same game save. Once it is solved, and you move in a new family/sim there will not be any mystery to solve.

Anything else interesting or helpful? Any tips or advice? I forget, but are there any new cooking or harvestable? Any new collectibles?
    There is a new harvestable, but don't allow your sim to eat it, otherwise, they will become infected, but you will need it for the mystery. To get it in the game there are options that you don't have to grow it to collect it. It is a very easy item to have.

Any good videos that give a good overview?
    There are several good videos on Youtube, just type in Sims 4 Strangerview in the search bar.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    They aren't occult sims. Without giving too much away, it is more like a virus I guess you can say and no, I don't think they would hurt your sim.

The mystery doesn't take that long and once you finish it, things will go back to normal unless you choose to start over (the only way a new household has to start over is either in a new game save or you personally choose to and you have to go back to a certain area to do so. Once completed, there is nothing to worry about as sims can move in without any problems). The fastest way is to make sure you build a friendship with sims so they can help you.

I don't think infected sims would be in other worlds as far as I know.

And yes, there is a military career.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    To add to the infected sims in other worlds:

Infected sims will appear and act normally should they spawn in other worlds. However, they will transform around midnight for, I think, 4 hours. In my game this happened regardless which world they were in.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2019
    Like others have said, the mystery can be completely turned off after completing it. However, if you don't interact with it, it wont really affect you much. It becomes more intrusive only because you choose to interact with it - meaning, it's very unlikely you'll accidentally set it off, even less so if your sim doesn't have the Strangerville aspiration.

There is indeed a military career and it is very fun, I love it. How much you like it depends on what you'd want from it of course, or how often you can see yourself using it, but since it's one of those work from home / rabbithole careers with a lot of new socials, there's some versatility there. And I absolutely love the CAS and B&B items!

So personally, if you can get it for cheap and you're not entirely put off by the infected Sims (which really don't do much apart from walking around funny), but like the overall style and setting of the pack, the CAS, and the B&B items, I'd say go for it. I can honestly understand people's reservations about it, but for me, I realized that having a world with a story that goes beyond a few family descriptions actually really appeals to me..?

I enjoy that vibe of "something" happening around town, and of locals telling me some minor, vague things about it whenever I ask. I also like all the militaries and scientists hanging around Strangerville. It's a fun setting, and the story elements are just about mild enough to be included in your own stories in different ways.

So all in all, it's fun, the CAS / B&B is pretty, there's a military career, the infection is mild, it absolutely never spreads to others worlds (whether you interact with it or not) and also isn't very in your face at first. But still, you don't necessarily need to play it to get things out of this pack you'll like, even if yes, it will be a bit more limited then.

Hope this helps, if you haven't already decided :)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It sounds like it’s a pretty good pack! :) So, like a tame Resident Evil, or X-Files or sci-fi mystery, it sounds like. (I’ve enjoyed playing Resident Evil 2 remake recently, and I do watch the occasional sci-fi stuff and I love the cozy mystery genre.)

I’m so glad the infected are not that bad. I was worried they would be the destructive or harmful zombies (in terms of biting/scratching or destroying crops ala Sims 3, lol).

I’ll watch a few videos, but the reassurances here about the infected not being harmful definitely makes the pack better for me. :)

I love the CAS/BB content, and want military career, so I am glad that the infected act mostly normal throughout the day. The infected sound pretty tame, which is good.

So, I’ll be buying it since it’s on sale on Origin. (It’s about 11 or 12 bucks at the moment.) Thank you all for the help, and reassurances and info! :smiley:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It's not intrusive at all! The player sets things in motion. And the player causes the progression going through the story.

I really, REALLY, had a blast with it and it made me laugh out loud several times. Just like old-time sims games! It's the most fun I've had with a pack so far!

If you do decide to get it, have fun!
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    It's not intrusive at all! The player sets things in motion. And the player causes the progression going through the story.

I really, REALLY, had a blast with it and it made me laugh out loud several times. Just like old-time sims games! It's the most fun I've had with a pack so far!

That’s great to hear you had a great time with the pack! :smiley: I am loving the look of everything else in the pack, and I’m glad to hear on this thread that the infected were not as bad as I thought they could have been.

Okay, just bought it at the Origin sale, and downloading now! *waaaiiitiiing*
    (She/her)
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

That’s great to hear you had a great time with the pack! :smiley: I am loving the look of everything else in the pack, and I’m glad to hear on this thread that the infected were not as bad as I thought they could have been.

Okay, just bought it at the Origin sale, and downloading now! *waaaiiitiiing*

lol. It's great! Lots of little gems and funny things there. I plan on going through it again down the road as part of the story for the teen sim that went through it.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    *Potential SPOILERS*
    Well, got to play it! :) It looks nice. The CAS and B/B are pretty cool.

I invited some neighbors into the house, and they started doing the jerky-infected possessed thing, lol. Then a guy in black took my fridge because it was infected, haha. :lol:

I didn’t know vampires can get the infection from drinking blood, whoopsy-daisy! :grimace::lol: The vampire husband seemed okay, but he occasionally, once in a while, does the jerky movement thing and become possessed. It’s a good thing his lover can just “snap him out of it”! :grin:

So, yeah, apparently, I put myself into the mystery already. Time to start figuring this thing out! (And get hubby back to normal! :grimace: )

I’m starting to check out the little plant things, and viewed the note. The thing said to collect more evidence, but I don’t know where to check next. I guess I have my sim head to the [secret wherever]? I’ll try that next time. I tried to talking to various sims walking by the house, but they didn’t provide much clues outside of mentioning a particular secret location.

Really loved the cowboy hat and some of the tops and jeans. :) Will check more of the pack tomorrow, and try to figure out the mystery. ^_^

It’s slightly tricky to travel a bit, since my vampire guy doesn’t have Sun Resistance yet, and he and his non-Vampire husband have a clingy toddler to look after as well, lol. I’ll be alternating between the sims in the household for certain times of the day to explore and find the clues. :)
    (She/her)
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey there! Just moved this over to the Game Packs section :smile:
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited June 2019
    Infected is a trait based, even if you live in another world and have beat the boss but you eat the glowing red fruit deliberately, your sims would turn infected at around 2am everyday, and you can spread the infections by having vampire feed from you the vampire would get infected instantly regardless the time of the day.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    I did not know this about the vampires getting infected by drinking the plasma of an infected sim. But it does make total sense this would happen. Thank you for this bit of information. Also, the first time I played it I too got my sim infected, totally by accident and also on purpose, so twice. I didn't make the 2 am connection either, thank you. :)
  • Options
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 I'm glad you're having fun with it!! :D But what do you mean, a guy in black took your fridge? They do that??? I honestly had no clue that was a thing? And I played through the mystery twice :joy: I want that too now! Once you've been to the secret place, you'll know what to do to find more evidence. You can always use the Strangerville aspiration if you desire a bit more guidance by the way.

But whatever you do: enjoy! And welcome to Strangerville :love:
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    But what do you mean, a guy in black took your fridge? They do that???

This happens when your sims first move into Strangerville, and the infected are those who are the neighbors who welcome your sim to the community, aka welcome wagon. Now these infected sims once they are able to go inside your home, they will plant a couple of those mysterious fruits if you have a planter box, and also will put a few of them inside the refrigerator. If your sim never invited them in, and they can't get access to the refrigerator, the Sim in black won't show up. If they do show up, they will leave a note explaining just a little on why they took it, this note can be used to the total collection of evidence collected later on in the mystery.

• Options
    Ohhh really? I should start letting the welcome wagon in more I suppose :joy: Thanks for telling me @LaBlue0314!
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 I'm glad you're having fun with it!! :D But what do you mean, a guy in black took your fridge? They do that??? I honestly had no clue that was a thing? And I played through the mystery twice :joy: I want that too now! Once you've been to the secret place, you'll know what to do to find more evidence. You can always use the Strangerville aspiration if you desire a bit more guidance by the way.

But whatever you do: enjoy! And welcome to Strangerville :love:

Lol, yes, it was because I had my sims invite in the Welcome Wagon.

That was before I knew the Welcome Wagon sims were infected!

I didn’t see them making the jerky movements until it was too late, and I saw them coming in! :lol:

I mean, I’m fine with it. I just didn’t realize they would infect my refrigerator, lol! :tongue:

Yeah, right after they left, the man dressed in black came by and left a note, and my fridge disappeared all of a sudden, haha.
    (She/her)