Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever just decided to play around with genetics?

pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
I have married in every look possible into my families and have had surprising results and not-so-surprising ones. I have married in every NPC imaginable because I want hidden traits to show up in the offspring. I have been pleasantly surprised by some...especially if the parents are really unfortunate looking...and the child turns out to be a dynamite looker!
Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
Post edited by pisceschick75 on

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    The main reason I play is to see the genetics over the generations. I rarely play in towns populated with EA sims, preferring to fill towns with sims of my own making or sims that I have taken from various worlds and tweaked to my taste. Because of Nraas SP there are usually enough kids born in town for my sim kids to find potential partners but, when there are none that are close enough in age, I will add a new family with kids of the same age.

I don't marry NPCs into my families because most are game generated default sims with all zero sliders and I consider them to be death to genetics. When I first started playing, before I used mods, my sims' offspring would be reduced to marrying NPC firefighters, etc. and all my sims ended up looking the same after a few generations. I almost gave up playing at that point because EA SP wasn't delivering what was advertised and I didn't want to have to go back to TS2 style to make sure that townie families were progressing along with mine.
  • Options
    I really need to proofread...My question really should have read...Have you ever just decided to play around with genetics? LOL! OY! I do agree with your statement...I think EA dropped the ball with genetics in TS3...I have had so many sims that look the same generation after generation. Gets kind of boring...
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    There's actually a lot of genetic diversity in EA premade sims and they got better with each new world/EP. The default sims are what causes sims to all look the same generation after generation. Players who don't look at what they are working with or understand that EA default sims are all the same, with the exception of weight, hair/eye/skin colour, are the reason sims look the same over time. Marrying genies, IFs, service sims, etc. into the family is the problem. There are also simmers who perhaps aren't comfortable with the use of sliders or who have a particular type they make over and over which would have the same end result.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    As I see it, EA dropped the ball with "NPC random generation" as they have the same face sliders as @Mikezumi brought up.

Genetics is awesome and I always check how the townies look like. Sometimes it fails and a clone comes up. I haven't chosen a sim to "breed" with all possible townies, but I tend to observe how the children of them are and see how they are born in different gameplays in the same town.
  • Options
    SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    All the time. Im ot great at making Sims. They all tend to look the same so I like to get Sims from the gallery, create their offspring and those usually become the Sims I play. The last game I played, my Sim was the son of Anna Kendrick and TChalla. Super cute mean lil Sim.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    I hope I understand the topic right.
    I love playing townies/premades, my longest save is with townies mixed with my sims.
    But actually just recently I have started a new (and very copmlicated ) save of Sunset Valley premades and townies breeding, with the purpose of getting ahead as much as possible with the generations, and by this to explore how genetics change over time but with NO vanilla/ default /game generated sims* (*Except Gage Briody who has vanilla genes. ) The sims do not necassarily look good, but they must look interesting!!!
    Currently I'm in generation 2 of this save, some of them were born with nraas SP, but most of them manually - I did rotation with households to make them try for baby, and many families were played sevral times so they'll have kids in different ages. Yes, I am a control freak.
    I hope I could upload some pictures of my simmies, perhaps to the general thread, maybe tommorow.
    :smile:
  • Options
    @Avatarit I'm kind of a control freak too. SP tends to produce too many babies in no time. I made it produce less and I use Master Controller to "partner pollinate" the women I feel are ready to have (more) children. In that way, I control the size of the families and how likely a family name lasts.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I hope I understand the topic right.
    I love playing townies/premades, my longest save is with townies mixed with my sims.
    But actually just recently I have started a new (and very copmlicated ) save of Sunset Valley premades and townies breeding, with the purpose of getting ahead as much as possible with the generations, and by this to explore how genetics change over time but with NO vanilla/ default /game generated sims* (*Except Gage Briody who has vanilla genes. ) The sims do not necassarily look good, but they must look interesting!!!
    Currently I'm in generation 2 of this save, some of them were born with nraas SP, but most of them manually - I did rotation with households to make them try for baby, and many families were played sevral times so they'll have kids in different ages. Yes, I am a control freak.
    I hope I could upload some pictures of my simmies, perhaps to the general thread, maybe tommorow.
    :smile:

This sounds a lot like the beginning of my 'Big Game'. I like to have Gage Briody in my games too. He has three girls in my Big Game. His wife was much older than him and came from Dragon Valley. I forget her name at the moment. But the girls are doing well. I haven't played them for a while now but they are safely in one of the many worlds I have in that game now.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes - I do have fun with genetics. But my fun has evolved. Initially, I started my Big Game but that is more about extended families without worrying too much about genetics.

Another sort of genetics related exercise is my Perfect Genetics Challenge video series. But that is just trying to get a child who has inherited the founder's hair and eye colours.

The big genetics thing I'm up to now is The Story of Oscar and Louise. But it is currently stuck on Oscar's childhood because I'm having too much fun with Oscar as a child.

Originally, The Story of Oscar and Louise began after I got my new computer and made some base game only sims after I had only installed the base game. I made about 6 sims and put them into my studio. Then I decided to test a couple of them in a short game. I chose Oscar and Louise and they met and married and started having babies together. Then after they'd had 15 and I aged them up temporarily to check what they'd look like grown up, I realised they all looked a lot like one or other of their parents. Boring. So I started a new game - this time Oscar and Louise each had parents. I have a mod set to increase the chance of grandparents affecting inheritance. I'm hoping that will introduce more variety into their offspring.

• Options
    I have had sims that look like their great-grandparents...and even further on down the tree...when the relationship isn't even recognized! Now that's some strong genetics! And then the opposite end of the spectrum is when their looks get totally warped and you think...okay...Is their father the mailman, the grocery man or the pizza dude??? LOL!
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited June 2019
    Genetics is my favourite part of the Sims! I am doing two challenges which revolve around genetics currently.

Firstly, my breed out the ugly challenge. Here’s my founder, Ramona Belle:
    2B6WBXr.png
    A8j0SzM.png
    JZ9GGLU.png

My 6th gen heir is now a teen and the ugly is still there, though greatly reduced!

I’m also doing a 100 baby challenge with Vlad as my ‘matriarch’ (really that should be patriarch but he’s birthing all the babies) mainly to see how his genes interact with those of the premades. It’s been interesting so far!
  • Options
    OMG!!!!
  • Options
    @MaggieMarley wow your sim is really unusual and unique! She'd be a top model in Twinbrook or Starlight Shores! LOL
    These "ugly" challenges are always fun to read about. I'd love to see how her heirs look like. Do you have a story thread?
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Yes! I love doing this. Try the 100 baby challenge and see how the children turn out. I like seeing how attractive or ugly they can be!
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    100 babies? With one couple? I don't know if I can survive that one...let alone my sims!