March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Freelancer career completely broken.

Can someone tell me how this thing works?

I had a sim join the freelancer artist career. She's a level 8 artist.

Got the job, picked the first one, level 1. Paint a portrait for some woman's office. Studied the reference material, created the painting. Ended up being a masterpiece. It's in her inventory.

What now?

Click on the painting, all I get is "Name".
Click on the computer-freelance, all I get is "Study reference material"

There's no options anywhere to submit it for approval.

Career is 100% completely broken.

Why does EA even create something that doesn't even work? Not even a little bit! They should focus on fixing the thousands of bugs in the already existing content before adding new ones. I can list hundreds of bugs in the Get Famous career alone.

Comments

• Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    Did you use the easel or the sketch pad? This career requires the sketch pad for the freelance artist career, paintings created on the easel won't work.
  • Jessi42069Jessi42069 Posts: 6 New Member
    > @Sara1010P said:
    > Did you use the easel or the sketch pad? This career requires the sketch pad for the freelance artist career, paintings created on the easel won't work.

Im having issues with this career too. I've been trying to use the sketch pad and it's supposed to have the "Freelancer" option but all that comes up is "Paint From Reference" and the sim doesn't even paint what they're supposed to be painting :/
    > @gettps said:
    > Can someone tell me how this thing works?
    >
    > I had a sim join the freelancer artist career. She's a level 8 artist.
    >
    > Got the job, picked the first one, level 1. Paint a portrait for some woman's office. Studied the reference material, created the painting. Ended up being a masterpiece. It's in her inventory.
    >
    > What now?
    >
    > Click on the painting, all I get is "Name".
    > Click on the computer-freelance, all I get is "Study reference material"
    >
    > There's no options anywhere to submit it for approval.
    >
    > Career is 100% completely broken.
    >
    > Why does EA even create something that doesn't even work? Not even a little bit! They should focus on fixing the thousands of bugs in the already existing content before adding new ones. I can list hundreds of bugs in the Get Famous career alone.

I can't even paint the material because the option to do so doesn't even pop up :/ idk what to do to fix it
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Did the career explicitly says where you need to paint? Easel or Sketchpad?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Lindsmd113Lindsmd113 Posts: 196 Member
    It’s not broken, you need to use the sketch pad.
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    edited May 2019
    Bought the sketch pad. Saw the "Freelancer" options. Used the sketchpad to draw it. It went into her inventory when it was done. Easel doesn't do that. I was watching the job tasks as I was doing this:

I studied the reference material, task showed completed.
    I used the sketchpad to draw the thing, task showed completed.
    Next task is to submit for approval. There are NO instructions anywhere telling how to do this.

I click on the painting, the only option is "Name"
    I click on the sketch pad, the only selectable option is to draw the thing again and Edit is greyed out.
    I click on the computer-freelancer, nothing there to submit.
    Job screen only has the option to cancel gig or change jobs.

Since none of the standard ways work, I tried other methods:

I dragged the painting onto a wall and clicked on it there. Nothing.
    I clicked on my sim and went through ALL the menus for a submit option, nothing.
    I tried different computers, desktop, laptop, tablets, nothing.
    I tried the entire thing with a different sim in the same world, same broken ending.
    I tried a different sim in a different world, same broken ending.

So, I cancelled it, sold the photo and picked another gig.

Ended up exactly the same. No way to submit. BROKEN.

Also, the job listing only showed the pay being like $50?? She's now a level 10 painter. Do you know how much money I can make just making regular paintings? A single painting can make 25 times that much. Some of the jobs show I have to paint 2 or even 3 things. At what... 2 or 3 hours each? For what? $50? You're kidding me. Why is this thing here?

Even IF it did work, it's nowhere near worth it. The pay is horrible.
    Post edited by gettps on
    Jessi42069 wrote: »
    I can't even paint the material because the option to do so doesn't even pop up :/ idk what to do to fix it

I can paint it. I just can't submit it. The option to do so is missing.
    happyopi wrote: »
    Ah the good ol don't understand something therefore it must be broken.

Instead of trolling, why not try helping.
    izecson wrote: »
    Did the career explicitly says where you need to paint? Easel or Sketchpad?

No, it doesn't say. But using the sketch pad is the only option that completes the task in job requirements.
    Im having issues with this career too. I've been trying to use the sketch pad and it's supposed to have the "Freelancer" option but all that comes up is "Paint From Reference" and the sim doesn't even paint what they're supposed to be painting :/

I think it depends on the job. I tried 5 or 6 of them. Some want to paint a reference job so you use the reference option. Some want something else, so I've had to use the Freelancer option in the sketchpad. All end up the same way for me, no way to submit the final product.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited May 2019
    I have had a lot of fun with this career, so I am sorry to hear that it is not working for you. When you advance in the career you get assignments that pay more. My Sim easily makes between $1500-$5000 per completed job.
    Have you repaired your game since the update?
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    I have had a lot of fun with this career, so I am sorry to hear that it is not working for you. When you advance in the career you get assignments that pay more. My Sim easily makes between $1500-$5000 per completed job.

I really appreciate it.

I can't really tell how the career advances because I can't advance past the first job.

Your suggestion is the only thing I haven't tried yet. I really don't like doing it because it's completely broken my saves in the past, and I have a LOT of time invested in my saves. Have to see if I can back everything up first in case the repair goes bonkers again.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Oh, that does not sound good about your saves. I repair my game after every update or installation of new DLC, but it never caused any troubles with my saves, so I don't worry about it. The game definitely needs a repair once in a while for everything to work correctly.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    edited May 2019
    It has done it in the past so I'm not going to do it unless I find a way to back everything up first, JIC. I have a dozen worlds with hundreds of families and custom lots. Only some of that is stored in the library. Even if I upload everything, a lot of things are lost in the library. Family connections, friend and romance connections, etc.

I don't even like clearing the cache. Last time I did, 2/3 of my townie sims ended up naked and bald.

I'm hoping I can just copy out the main folder in Documents, but it's like 3.5 gigs.

Problem is, even testing it is a huge risk. If I back everything up, repair, and it fails again, I've lost everything. Are the saves based upon the content of the game directory like it was in Sims 3? Maybe back up the game directory also... that'll kick it up to almost 40 gigs to back up.

Sigh... All that to maybe fix this one career? Not sure if its worth it.

Let me think about it. Weigh the options.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    gettps wrote: »

I really appreciate it.

I can't really tell how the career advances because I can't advance past the first job.

Your suggestion is the only thing I haven't tried yet. I really don't like doing it because it's completely broken my saves in the past, and I have a LOT of time invested in my saves. Have to see if I can back everything up first in case the repair goes bonkers again.

That's why it's a good idea to always back up saves and any other folder (trays, mods, etc) before doing anything (repair, patch, whatnot) and, honestly, it's a good idea to backup saves periodically in general. I backup all my saves monthly, and saves that I play regularly I backup weekly (if a lot has happened in the save that I really don't want to lose, I'll backup then, too, regardless if I just backed up the day before).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2019
    Programmer pays the most from my experience.

For painting, after you use the sketchpad to draw, the drawing goes into your inventory. You then click on the drawing in your inventory and you should see the option to submit to client for approval. Then you check your notifications in the upper corner which will let you know if the client approved the drawing or not.

If they approved it, it will mark the task as completed. Keep in mind you may have to make several drawings depending on the task. Like some may say submit 3 drawing to clients so you’ll have to keep doing them until you have all 3 approved.

If the drawing is not approved, you click on the sketchpad and you will see an option to edit the drawing. You then select the drawing in your inventory and do it again.

If you’re not seeing that then you may need to repair your game or you may have a conflicting mod if you use any.
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    That's why it's a good idea to always back up saves and any other folder (trays, mods, etc) before doing anything (repair, patch, whatnot) and, honestly, it's a good idea to backup saves periodically in general. I backup all my saves monthly, and saves that I play regularly I backup weekly (if a lot has happened in the save that I really don't want to lose, I'll backup then, too, regardless if I just backed up the day before).

Have had bad experience with it in the past. In Sims 3, I did that exact same thing. Backed up everything I could, re-installed, and put my saves back. None of my saves would load. Lost over 5 years work. My saves were good. Had two separate backups. It's why I no longer play Sims 3. Love the game, but can't possibly recreate all that work.
    edited May 2019
    Chazzzy wrote: »

For painting, after you use the sketchpad to draw, the drawing goes into your inventory. You then click on the drawing in your inventory and you should see the option to submit to client for approval. Then you check your notifications in the upper corner which will let you know if the client approved the drawing or not.

If they approved it, it will mark the task as completed. Keep in mind you may have to make several drawings depending on the task. Like some may say submit 3 drawing to clients so you’ll have to keep doing them until you have all 3 approved.

If the drawing is not approved, you click on the sketchpad and you will see an option to edit the drawing. You then select the drawing in your inventory and do it again.

If you’re not seeing that then you may need to repair your game or you may have a conflicting mod if you use any.

Thanks! I appreciate actually giving help!

That's what I thought. It makes the most sense and is the first thing I tried. However, the option isn't appearing for me. So either it's broken, incompatible with another expansion or game pack I have (I have everything), or something in my game is corrupt.

Which DLC do you have?
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Any mods you may have need to be updated. There are mods that broke the freelancer career. If you don't have any mods then I apologize but it's worth pointing out.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2019
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Thanks! I appreciate actually giving help!

That's what I thought. It makes the most sense and is the first thing I tried. However, the option isn't appearing for me. So either it's broken, incompatible with another expansion or game pack I have (I have everything), or something in my game is corrupt.

Which DLC do you have?

You’re welcome and I have all the packs.
    > @gettps said:
    > Jessi42069 wrote: »
    >
    > Im having issues with this career too. I've been trying to use the sketch pad and it's supposed to have the "Freelancer" option but all that comes up is "Paint From Reference" and the sim doesn't even paint what they're supposed to be painting :/
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think it depends on the job. I tried 5 or 6 of them. Some want to paint a reference job so you use the reference option. Some want something else, so I've had to use the Freelancer option in the sketchpad. All end up the same way for me, no way to submit the final product.

My game won't even give me the Freelancer option when i click on the sketch pad. it's really frustrating
    would anyone happen to know if repairing my game will delete my save files?
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    would anyone happen to know if repairing my game will delete my save files?

Repair should have no effect on your save games, but as I already mentioned, it's always a really good idea to backup your saves before you go toying with anything, troubleshooting wise. If you have a patch, it's best to back up. If you do a repair, it's best to backup. If you are doing anything inside the folders, it's best to backup. And, quite honestly, if you have a save(s) that are of any importance to you, it's a good idea to backup with a regular schedule (once a week/month/bi-monthly... etc).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • LuvTamareLuvTamare Posts: 48 Member
    Bought the sketch pad. Saw the "Freelancer" options. Used the sketchpad to draw it. It went into her inventory when it was done. Easel doesn't do that. I was watching the job tasks as I was doing this:

I studied the reference material, task showed completed.
    I used the sketchpad to draw the thing, task showed completed.
    Next task is to submit for approval. There are NO instructions anywhere telling how to do this.

I click on the painting, the only option is "Name"
    I click on the sketch pad, the only selectable option is to draw the thing again and Edit is greyed out.
    I click on the computer-freelancer, nothing there to submit.
    Job screen only has the option to cancel gig or change jobs.

Since none of the standard ways work, I tried other methods:

I dragged the painting onto a wall and clicked on it there. Nothing.
    I clicked on my sim and went through ALL the menus for a submit option, nothing.
    I tried different computers, desktop, laptop, tablets, nothing.
    I tried the entire thing with a different sim in the same world, same broken ending.
    I tried a different sim in a different world, same broken ending.

So, I cancelled it, sold the photo and picked another gig.

Ended up exactly the same. No way to submit. BROKEN.

Also, the job listing only showed the pay being like $50?? She's now a level 10 painter. Do you know how much money I can make just making regular paintings? A single painting can make 25 times that much. Some of the jobs show I have to paint 2 or even 3 things. At what... 2 or 3 hours each? For what? $50? You're kidding me. Why is this thing here?

Even IF it did work, it's nowhere near worth it. The pay is horrible.

This is the EXACT problem I'm having. I've done exactly what you have and I DO NOT have the option to submit the work. I went on youtube and watched someone play the Freelance career and they have the option to submit the work and in my game it doesn't appear at all. :( I have no idea what to do and no one seems to have a solution. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top