Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dream Date sims, traits that are deal-breakers

CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
Inspired by the thread by AlbaWaterhouse about traits. Here's another question.

When you and your sims are looking for a sim soulmate, which traits are a deal-breaker for you? When your sim meets some sim cutie and they have that trait, what do you do? Other sims in the sea? Type cas.fulleditmode as fast as your fingers can move?

I don't think my sims have ever dated anyone with mean or evil. I'm not fond of materialist.
Post edited by CorkysPetals on

Comments

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Nice question!
    I usually make my sims get together with other Sims I create so traits are never really a surprise but in the occasions I've made my Sims date a random townie:
    evil, jealous, and bro are my deal breakers. I can work around other traits but I don't want my sim to have a partner with any of those 4.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Well I tend to have my sims run away from snob, erratic, and Klepto; and I avoid “unflirty” because it’s so awkward. I hope that my sims “Get to Know” everything about their love interest before it’s serious, otherwise it’s changed in CAS.
  • Options
    ArialisimsArialisims Posts: 120 Member
    I always avoid lazy and gloomy, otherwise ill yell at the sim all the time lol
    VbXPSzu.png
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Hates children id avoid cause I'm always about making more generations and no kid deserves a parent who hates them
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I avoid Insider, Dance Machine, And the Cat/Dog Lover traits. Things I never have use for, I don't need a sim forever bored because I don't use clubs.

I waffle on traits like Bro.

Beyond that, it can depend on if I'm looking for a specific type of sim, but those traits above are instant deal-breakers and my sim will find someone else. I generally don't change a sim's traits, but move on to others.

Sometimes, I'll gamble and have a sim rush into marriage without knowing all their new partner's traits and be surprised, which can be fun.
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Hm...I’m not sure. I don’t even back down when their date has noncommittal. I suppose “Bro” because of their ridiculous interactions. Oh definitely Childish, sims need to grow up as well.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Klepto. Nothing more annoying than finding your computer missing after spending the night with your S/O
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I remember once my sim was dating this nice lady from the other side of the neighbourhood who ended up being a kleptomaniac. Sure enough I broke them up on the spot.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    If I'm just playing happy families, I avoid the jealous, evil and mean traits. If I have a particular story or stories in mind, all bets are off >:)

I find editing traits in cas never works properly so I just have my Sim ditch 'em.
  • Options
    JediMuppetJediMuppet Posts: 98 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think it adds to the fun of the game to just let my sims make bad relationship choices sometimes :P so I let them date any sim with any traits. Usually if they have a trait that matches one of my sims but then have a few less desired ones my sim will "overlook" those traits because they think they can change them. I never change their traits though.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I guess it depends on my storyline plans for the sim in question. If I fancy changing it up a bit I would probably go for any, but if I want a happy, steady relationship then I would avoid evil, mean and jealous.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    The decision to stay or go revolves around the Sim itself. My Sims don’t always need someone so “perfect”. I especially like using negative traits, all of them. As mentioned in the other thread, the only traits I don’t use are Dance Machine and Kleptomaniac.
    The only time I will really change a trait is if I imagine the Sim changing. Like a Sim who is mean may lose that quality over time because their love was just so strong. :D But again, only if it fits the Sim.
    The biggest trait a lot of my Sims will avoid in someone is the Hates Children trait, if I imagine my own Sim continuing their branch. But even then, sometimes I’ll keep my Sim with them and a surprise pregnancy will happen. What occurs between the Sims after that really depends.
  • Options
    hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    -kleptomaniac (always needs to steal stuff)
    -mean (self explanatory)
    -evil (self explanatory)
    -bro (basically "high school jock" in a nutshell)
    -noncommittal (come on. why would i be with someone that is noncommittal?)
    -insider (they always feel the need to be with clubs.)
    -jealous (jealous sims are annoying)
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    My Sims will never date an unflirty person. How does one start a romance with one who hates romance anyway? I know its possible to marry one, but its too difficult without flirting.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I can always go in and change a Sim’s traits soooo this has never been a deal breaker.

I change traits all the time, depending on the current storyline I’m running with.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Well, I usually create partners for my sims myself, but if I didn't then it would depend on the compatibility between the two sims in question and the story I was trying to tell. One of my sims is an evil vampire, but he has a soft spot for his jealous human girlfriend and they are one of my favourite couples. Unflirty is a challenge, but with a bit of work they can also become affectionate partners. The only trait I think I would always avoid is Hates Children because I find it so distasteful. I'm not terribly fond of slob, glutton, noncommittal, kleptomaniac, mean or lazy either, unless again it suits the story. Of course there's also the idea that the 'power of love' can change sims for the better, in which case I will reset their traits or swap an undesirable trait with the re-traiting potion reward. Sometimes I will even make a sim with this in mind for a story. For example, I had a homeless self-assured lazy slob sim who manipulated his way into sponging off of a gloomy good squeamish sim. The good sim was such a sweetheart to him though that he fell in love and changed his ways, even going into charity work.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    It depends on the sim in question. Some of my sims are okay with dating meanies, others aren't. A sqeamish sim certainly will think twice about getting together with a Lover of the Outdoors.

The only trait I reject as a player is Evil. Most of the time I change it (to Insider for Max Villareal, to Geek for Malcolm Landgraab and for generic townies it becomes Mean) or delete the sim in question.

Klepto is a so-so case. As long as the No autonomous swiping mod works I allow the trait. If it ever breaks then Kleptos will get force-fed the trait re-allocation potion.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I have kept it safe till now with my own sims and didn't go further then a snob, materialistic or lazy sim, but these turn me off:

- Hot headed: Mainly, cause it comes across so aggressive for my sims.
    - Childish: I had a few childish sims and they kept playing with children's toys which is a bit too far for childish.
    - non flirty: Makes it hard to connect with them on a romance level.
    - Insane: too unpredictable sims and they are just plain WEIRD.
    - Kleptomaniac: Too much of a criminal trait for my regular sims.
    - Evil: Even though this game is child play, this trait should turn everyone off.
    - Mean: Had few sims friends who were mean. very hard to become friends with and they start every conversation with mean interactions.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I haven't avoided any traits so far but after reading this thread I might start. Kleptomaniac sounds really annoying and there are a few other traits that seem like they will make my play style difficult such as Hates Children, Noncommittal, Non Flirty.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited March 2019
    I wouldn't recommend avoiding traits before trying them out first, as you might be surprised what you enjoy. Every player is different after all and I think it's more fun to have sims with different personalities. I personally love some of the perhaps less popular traits such as Dance Machine, Squeamish, Jealous, Unflirty, Evil, Erratic etc. They can make some really interesting characters and you can 'balance' them out with other CAS/reward traits and character values. As I commented earlier, the only trait I really avoid for sim partners is Hates Children, but that's only because I'm a family player. Saying that, I might still use it at some point for my unplayed sims or if I wanted an evil step-parent character for instance.
    Post edited by annaliese39 on
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I typically create my sims already married. If I didn't, I'd have them avoid sims with the traits hates children, jealous, evil, and kleptomaniac since all are very against my playstyle.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i honestly prefer to keep my sim single unmarried and any invite my sims gets i decline the invite
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Evil, Mean, Hot-Headed, Gloomy, Noncommittal, and Kleptomaniac---though I wish my Sims got the message. Everyone they try to hook up with on their own seems to have at least one of these traits.

It's more for realism than anything else; I like my evil to arise naturally out of incompetence or selfishness, not stealing candy from a baby and cackling. I'm also not fond of Erratic because it throws some shade at folks with mental illness, so Erratic Sim partners get a custom trait with a more realistic diagnosis based on their behavior.

Surprisingly, I thought Self-Assured would be a good trait to have in a partner, but it just wasn't. I've had Self-Assured Sims slowly destroy their partners by crossing the fine line between confidence and narcissism (YMMV, of course).
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2019
    If I'm just playing happy families, I avoid the jealous, evil and mean traits. If I have a particular story or stories in mind, all bets are off >:)

I find editing traits in cas never works properly so I just have my Sim ditch 'em.

I’m finding that too, and there are threads on it, so it’s definitely true, and quite bothersome

SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    The ones I avoid the most are Slob and Evil, unless it fits into the theme of the story I'm playing.