Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin on different computers

I'm not sure if this is in the right category, if not, please let me know which one to put it under.

I'm in the process of building a gaming set-up. I'd like to run Origin on my PC so I can play the Sims with decent graphic settings for the first time in my life. But, I'd also like to leave the Sims 4 on my laptop so I can still play when I travel or when I'm away from home. I am aware that you cannot be logged into the same Origin account on several computers, but a friend of mine does it by staying offline on what computer and online on the other.

Is that the easiest way to get around this? Or would there be another way?

giphy.gif

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    IMO, @summerjase, you CAN log in to Origin on two different computers. You just cannot be logged in on both at the same time. For what you describe you want to do, assuming you turn your PC off when you aren't at home, you will be able to login to origin just fine on the laptop (and visa versa).

The only time you have to worry about being in offline mode on one is if you ever plan to be playing games in Origin on both the laptop and the pc at the same time.

I actually have the same setup and have login set to automatic when windows starts for Origin on both the laptop and the PC....I just never am using both of them at the same time. In those very rare instances where I do fire up the laptop while I am using my desktop, I set origin to offline mode on one of them.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    You can have origin on multiple computers, but can not be online all at the same time. Personally, my origin account is accessible on 5 different computers. I play offline about 99.9% of the time, as does my family who also utilizes it. We rarely use the gallery, which is the only online feature for the game. My origin account also has 0 friends, so the other features of origin are worthless to me.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    @Summerjase Just remember to "sign off" Origin before you go - on the home one!

I also "Quit" Origin just to make doubly sure.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Oh, one of you suggested you can travel and still play your game? I don't know why I thought that wasn't possible. I'm glad to find out it is. Next time I get a chance to accompany my hubby on one of his business trips, I'll be certain to have my laptop and my game to play. Yay!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I assume you need a decent laptop to do this, not one with an integrated graphics card?
  • Options
    SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    Oh, one of you suggested you can travel and still play your game? I don't know why I thought that wasn't possible. I'm glad to find out it is. Next time I get a chance to accompany my hubby on one of his business trips, I'll be certain to have my laptop and my game to play. Yay!

Yep! Whenever I visit my family, I always bring my laptop because I have a cousin who also plays the Sims, so it's always nice be able to play together.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    IMO, @summerjase, you CAN log in to Origin on two different computers. You just cannot be logged in on both at the same time. For what you describe you want to do, assuming you turn your PC off when you aren't at home, you will be able to login to origin just fine on the laptop (and visa versa).

The only time you have to worry about being in offline mode on one is if you ever plan to be playing games in Origin on both the laptop and the pc at the same time.

I actually have the same setup and have login set to automatic when windows starts for Origin on both the laptop and the PC....I just never am using both of them at the same time. In those very rare instances where I do fire up the laptop while I am using my desktop, I set origin to offline mode on one of them.

I never really thought about it that way - thanks! The only time I've tried to log into my Origin on two different computers was when I was letting my mother try the Sims out and she wasn't sure that she wanted to buy it so I thought I could just let her log onto my Origin. That turned into such a mess with trying to stay offline on one and not on the other.

But thank you for explaining this, it helps a lot! I probably won't be using both at the same time, so this helps a lot.
    You can have origin on multiple computers, but can not be online all at the same time. Personally, my origin account is accessible on 5 different computers. I play offline about 99.9% of the time, as does my family who also utilizes it. We rarely use the gallery, which is the only online feature for the game. My origin account also has 0 friends, so the other features of origin are worthless to me.

I don't have any Origin friends either, the only reason I every am online with the Sims is because I do use the gallery quite a bit. Thank you for your help!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    I assume you need a decent laptop to do this, not one with an integrated graphics card?

My laptop is decent, it's not a gaming laptop but it runs what I need it to run (Sims 4, sorta Sims 3, and my whole Steam library) on low-graphics which I've used for so many years that it doesn't really bother me.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited January 2019
    Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but your saves don't automatically transfer between computers, even on the same origin account. There is a cloud storage with Origin, apparently, but it has zero effect on Sims.

If you want to play the same game between laptop and desktop, you'll have to transfer the save file(s) between both computers. Which means, if you run mods/cc, you'll have to make sure that both have the exact same mods and cc (unless you don't care if mods and cc are missing from one to the next, at which you'll have bald and nekkid sims if they are using cc that one or the other doesn't have).

I use One Drive to transfer my saves from my laptop to my desktop and vice versa. I use a USB flash drive to copy my mods folder from my desktop to my laptop, and I just make sure I don't download anything new when I'm on my laptop.

It's a bit of a pain, but definitely nice to have my game on both.

p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but your saves don't automatically transfer between computers, even on the same origin account. There is a cloud storage with Origin, apparently, but it has zero effect on Sims.

If you want to play the same game between laptop and desktop, you'll have to transfer the save file(s) between both computers. Which means, if you run mods/cc, you'll have to make sure that both have the exact same mods and cc (unless you don't care if mods and cc are missing from one to the next, at which you'll have bald and nekkid sims if they are using cc that one or the other doesn't have).

I use One Drive to transfer my saves from my laptop to my desktop and vice versa. I use a USB flash drive to copy my mods folder from my desktop to my laptop, and I just make sure I don't download anything new when I'm on my laptop.

It's a bit of a pain, but definitely nice to have my game on both.

Oh shoot, I didn't even think about this. This would've been nice to know when I got my new laptop a couple years ago :confounded: I ended up completely restarting my legacy at that time.

I guess I'll have to think about what I want on which computer. I'll definitely take your advice on transferring, though! I hardly know anything about computers, hence how long it's taken me to get this gaming set up but together. Could you comment or message me about how you transfer the saves? I've heard of One Drive, but I've never used it. And I don't have a USB flash drive - a ton of SD cards, but if I need to get one I will.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello :)
    Your sims 4 game is linked to your origin account. Download and install Origin onto the pc if you haven’t already done that. Then log into origin on your pc computer using the same account that you used to register the game and packs on the laptop , then click on the Games Library section, click on the sims 4 picture, then download/install it there. Then click the extra content and packs buttons that are half way down the page. They will shows you what game packs, stuff packs and eps you own. You can then download/install them there.

Make a copy of your sims 4 folder on your laptop that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive. The external drive can be a USB drive or a sd card if it has enough capacity.
    Then after installing the sims 4 game onto the pc computer, play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your pc computer.
    Then you will need to though remove and transfer the same save file of your game from the pc to the laptop each time if you want to keep playing the same game on the laptop.
  • Options
    CoventinaLoveCoventinaLove Posts: 1 New Member
    My friend and I both have Origin on different computers and I was trying to show her my stuff. So I logged into my origin on my account but when I did her Sims game still popped. Can you not play on different computers??? I'm trying to figure it out.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I think you need to have your saved game physically in the computer you are using to log into Origin. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.