Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About Cheating

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    ^Thanks! I'm just getting off work now and will take a look after! I want to create a background character in one of my saves that starts out already rich and living in the nicest apartment... for my storyline would NOT make sense to have him work his way up haha! I appreciate the help!
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    ShanabananasShanabananas Posts: 35 Member
    I use cheat codes for households I don't play to get them a free house or job and skill level to match a storyline I have planned for them. As for my sims I use minimal cheating. I use movebjects ALOT though for more realistic placing but as far as gameplay I'll use cheat needs here and there especially when I have toddlers. I rarely use money cheats because that's often a big part of the challenge in my game.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    EA/Maxis..the devs, they encourage players to use cheats and to play "life" their way in the Sims. So there is literally no reason not to use cheats, unless, you wish not to.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I have nothing against cheating. I definitely agree that in a sandbox game, it isn't really "cheating." However, as someone that's been playing sims since childhood, I would find the game too boring if I cheated all the time. I like the challenge of managing relationships, careers, aspirations, motives, and recreational time. I also rarely cheat for money, because I find seeing how much money I can earn to be a fun part of the game. For my own personal preferences, cheating takes away the fun. But if you cheat - more power to you!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Can someone please tell me how to cheat for filling up needs/money. I need to know, haha! I have MCCC now if that helps.

Punch in testingcheats true, then Shift while clicking on the Sim of choice and select "Make Happy". Voila all needs should be filled. As for the money thing, that's under MCCC>cheats when you click on a Sim. You can select either skills or money (which I believe is at the top of the list) then you just punch in the amount of Simoleons you wish to give your Sim. I think the most you can do at a time is five digits' worth, which is the same as motherlode.. I could be mistaken, since I don't find I need to do that. I was intending to use it, however, before GF came out. I wanted a way for a singer Sim to earn money.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I've always felt the word "cheat" was inaccurate for The Sims franchise. Google's definition of cheat:

cheat
    /CHēt/Submit
    verb
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.
    "she always cheats at cards"

It doesn't really apply to The Sims as it's a life simulation with no set rules and no way to win or lose. There's nothing dishonest or unfair about using the developer's codes to play the way we want.

If I were participating in a challenge, I wouldn't use them, but I rarely do challenges. With my play style, I do use the "cheats" when I play.

But in the context of a computer game, it means "do something that changes the rules or operation of the game." The dishonesty part doesn't really have relevance when there's no external competition. You could cheat at Solitaire, but in that case, why would you bother to play at all? With The Sims, you cheat the regular rules because you're essentially playing a different game -- you're creating a story, not aiming for particular goals. There are quite a few challenges that require you to use cheats in order to not cheat the challenge.. because there, you're using a separate and distinct set of rules.
    In terms of things that change the way the programmed goals of the game are met, I'm not sure what currently-existing term would work better. Maybe something like "alteration," but I don't think that would really be any more descriptive. It's the most useful word, it just doesn't quite mean the same thing that it means in other contexts. But it's a standard part of language that context matters in the interpretation of meaning.