Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About Cheating

NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
Whether or not to is something, I think, that divides us players. Personally, I find the statement on this page interesting. And yeah, I do cheat, because I don't seek a challenge from my Sims game. Just relaxation and my kind of fun :)

"Cheating is a big part of the game. Not only is it easy to access, but it’s even something we kinda, sorta, actually encourage." - EA

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    We're not playing against each other, so cheating is really down to personal preference. I'm an unapologetic cheater, because I'm more about advancing my sims' stories, then playing by the rules. Besides some cheats, like resetsim & some of the build/buy cheats are more like fixes or workarounds to game issues & annoyances than actual cheating.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I cheat for households that I don't play, but never on the ones I actively play. I would have no problems doing it, I've just never felt the need. The game doesn't feel challenging to me even when I don't use the cheats. I'm guilty of abusing exploits here and there but I consider that to be revenge for all the bugs that get in my way.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,676 Member
    I cheat all the time, or, I see it as shortcuts instead of cheating. I don't do many challenges but run a diverse and nuanced community, I need to cheat to set things right. Periodically I will play regularly within my little universe, but if I'm say playing a certain meeting between two sims, I won't let full bladder or low hygiene ruin it all, so I mostly cheat on needs. When it comes to money I have a different economy, which is more based on their status than their day to day income. A household is permitted to spend whatever money they like within their "status level". Also might cheat on relations to make romantic interests grow quicker, but normally not so much.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    The biggest thing I cheat are the aspirations. The final tier of some aspirations were getting so tedious to complete that it was ruining the game for me.

So I made a rule that I will always permit myself to cheat the final tier of any aspiration, though I can complete it if I want.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Whether or not to is something, I think, that divides us players. Personally, I find the statement on this page interesting. And yeah, I do cheat, because I don't seek a challenge from my Sims game. Just relaxation and my kind of fun :)

"Cheating is a big part of the game. Not only is it easy to access, but it’s even something we kinda, sorta, actually encourage." - EA

Yes, I think it allows players to play the game the way they want to play the game. I had Rollercoaster Tycoon when it first came out, and maybe I just wasn't internet-savvy enough (and in any case, I was on dial-up in those days, with a per-minute charge, so I had to be careful with my online time), but I couldn't find cheats to allow me to just build. I didn't want to run a park, just build it, but I'd run out of money. Klepaucius was my best friend in The Sims - at the time, I was a struggling YA and I had no desire to juggle finances in a game.

Personally, I never cheat motives or skills - those are the challenges I enjoy, but some people have other goals, and don't want to stop to feed their Sims. And I know that many people do like to limit their Sims' money to what they can earn. It's always been a sandbox game - it's up to the player to find the play style that works for him or her.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Personally, I never cheat motives or skills - those are the challenges I enjoy, but some people have other goals, and don't want to stop to feed their Sims. And I know that many people do like to limit their Sims' money to what they can earn. It's always been a sandbox game - it's up to the player to find the play style that works for him or her.

I think that's probably why sticking to cheating the last tiers of the aspirations works for me. I get annoyed by taking care of my Sims' needs, too, but with the extra aspiration points, getting the reward traits that get rid of their needs is actually a feasible goal.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    When it comes to competitive games, cheating for me is a big no no. However, when it comes to the Sims, ALL THE CHEATS. Except the Move Object cheat.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    When it comes to competitive games, cheating for me is a big no no. However, when it comes to the Sims, ALL THE CHEATS. Except the Move Object cheat.

I feel like I'm asking a newbie question, but...

What's the Move Object cheat do? Aren't most all objects already moveable?
  • Options
    jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    When I first read the title I was thinking about sims cheating each other lol
    Anyway, I personally don't like to cheat when it comes down to money, careers and this kind of thing that have the objective of "accelerating" something you can achieve in the game. Mostly because it makes me get bored so easily, like when I was a kid and I discovered cheats when switching from TS1 to TS2 (TS2 was the game I played less in all my life as a simmer lol).
    But I do use MCCC to control the other families in the game, like marriages, careers and pregnancies. I don't play with those families, but I like to stay in control of the sims that are closer to my family.
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member

I feel like I'm asking a newbie question, but...

What's the Move Object cheat do? Aren't most all objects already moveable?

Basically, it allows players to ignore placement constraints when placing an object down. So like I want to put a bed against a wall, but there's a wall object in the way. Normally, the game wouldn't allow you to do that. With the Move Objects cheat, it would let me put that bed against the wall regardless of wall decorations.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    when it comes to the sims4 I always use the cheats
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I use cheats to help me tell stories, this why I like the mod that allows me to easily adjust skills, money, relationships and needs, without having to type in the cheat. Sometimes I use cheats to make my Sims’ life WORSE rather than better 😃

I like that this is not a competitive game, so we can just do our own thing and not worry about it.
  • Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    I've always felt the word "cheat" was inaccurate for The Sims franchise. Google's definition of cheat:

cheat
    /CHēt/Submit
    verb
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.
    "she always cheats at cards"

It doesn't really apply to The Sims as it's a life simulation with no set rules and no way to win or lose. There's nothing dishonest or unfair about using the developer's codes to play the way we want.

If I were participating in a challenge, I wouldn't use them, but I rarely do challenges. With my play style, I do use the "cheats" when I play.
  • Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I don't consider it 'cheating' because it doesn't help you win, it is a game you are playing for yourself so there is no winner or loser so who are you 'cheating'. They should be called advantages, why not take any and all advantages you can. On of my personal challenges is to use as few 'cheats' as possible.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited January 2019
    I always use motherlode - and (not quite a cheat) "move sims in" to neighbouring houses when I start lodging the first Sims in the area. It gives those a free house and I move my ready made families in from My Library..

Otherwise I can never remember what the cheats are and waste time having to look them up. :)
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    edited January 2019
    I "cheat" to make things more challinging :wink: an example is taking money away for 'taxes'

And I use freerealestate on cheat to buy a house for free but make the sims pay back loans and mortgage along with the bills.
  • Options
    RobotBeesRobotBees Posts: 145 Member
    I use cheats for building and editing townie sims that I don't like the aesthetic of. I actually love the move objects cheat for doing landscaping because I like layering lots and lots of plants :)

I used to use the motherlode cheat a lot but I've recently stopped doing that because I kinda like to challenge myself to build a life for my sims with a limited amount of money - I kind of do the rags to riches challenge with everyone unless they come from a wealthy family and then they get lots of expensive violins to sell off. But I really have fun building a bare bones home and then slowly renovating and adding nicer furniture as my sims slowly hustle to make more money.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm all over the place personally about using cheats. It might be because of the word cheat even. I'll motherlode to death if I want to start a story about a rich sim with no qualms. When it comes to getting sims traits that they didn't earn I seem to balk at that though. Thing is I'll have a story in my head about someone already accomplished at something but I take that path anyway about them learning or earning it which can be tedious if I've done it over and over. Not sure why it's so hard for me to just cheat it in then move on.
    I do hate to look the cheats up too.. I like it when they build it into the game like they did for fame.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    It really depends on your playstyle. I personally only use move objects for building, and that's it. I like the feeling of achieving stuff, and if I cheat that goes away.
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Cheating is really only bad in a multiplayer game, if its just a single player game it just adds to the fun

Besides stuff like moveobjects really isn't cheating. Cheating gives an advantage and when is bugginess considered one?
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    There really isn't any such thing as "cheating" in this game because there is no finish line. Its a simulator, there is no end to cheat to. You don't even need to cheat, really. Its just if you want to skip past content you find boring. Thats how I use them anyway.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I use MC Commander so I don't have to do all that typing. Cheating on the cheats, it doesn't make sense that you create a family and the mother and father can't cook and do other things and are beginners at everything.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I really only consider it cheating when you are doing challenges. If a challenge says, "no cheats" in the rules... then no cheats. If you are free playing, no challenge, just you and your game, it's not really cheats to me. Do whatever you need to do to have fun.

I rarely use cheats, even in my non-challenge games. But that's just because I enjoy the "life" part of life simulator. I enjoy making my sims cook and eat. Or go potty or shower. I enjoy making them manage work (in whatever form I have them earn money) and social or love life. I enjoy them struggling to have a family.

I'll use cheats to make the game more challenging. As another player said, I'll use money cheats to take away their money for everything from taxes, to gambling addictions, to a tornado wiped out their houses (bulldoze lot, take away the cash) and they have to start over and anything in between.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I use cheat codes a lot. After almost two decades, watching sims eat, sleep or poop has lost its entertainment value.