Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of the Loop

I haven't followed TS4 closely for several months. I have gotten the new packs and such, but I haven't really played since right after GF came out. I bought the base game for a friend when it was on sale, but he hasn't played yet.

I tried to play last night, only to find some HUGE update not letting me play. I had to close it down to do other things last night. It is still loading in now. And it's been about 20 min. So what's in this thing?

And 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is Baby Ariel? And why do I want her in my game?

I might play tonight if EA decides to let me.

Comments

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    In terms of the update, it's a combination. We had two sizable patches/updates in the last few months:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/950920/november-13th-2018-patch-notes

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/953062/december-18th-2018-patch-notes

Baby Ariel is the big celebrity guest they had for Get Famous. I just delete her from my game (she's a homeless sim in the manage household tab so it's easy to delete her).
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited January 2019
    I haven't followed TS4 closely for several months. I have gotten the new packs and such, but I haven't really played since right after GF came out. I bought the base game for a friend when it was on sale, but he hasn't played yet.

I tried to play last night, only to find some HUGE update not letting me play. I had to close it down to do other things last night. It is still loading in now. And it's been about 20 min. So what's in this thing?

And plum is Baby Ariel? And why do I want her in my game?

I might play tonight if EA decides to let me.

She is the big "celebrity" guest that it seems hardly any of us on the forums had heard of prior to her being sponsored patched in.

ETA:
    Also welcome back. And have no fear that sim has had very little impact on my game and if you don't wish her to she likely won't in yours either :)
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    edited January 2019
    Baby Ariel is a big celebrity, she's just more famous with the younger generations. A lot of the people who play The Sims are adults who started as kids with TS1 or TS2, and, like myself, may not really know who she is. I've heard of her and seen some of the content she creates, but I wouldn't call myself a fan, and I don't particularly care that she was included in the pack. I just ignore her when she shows up in-game.

I think the creators are trying to attract new, younger players who will, like the original players, stick with the game for years or even decades, and celebrities are a good way to do that. That would also explain why Millie Bobby Brown was also chosen for inclusion in the game.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Just a sponsored 'celebrity' guest of sorts. I haven't deleted her BUT oddly enough she doesn't really show up in my game. Very rare. The sim itself is pretty. Just changed up some of her outfits. The clothing is pretty meh other than the nice jacket with the fur trim with the stylist career. The other clothing got use from my teen Sims.

Yeah the update is pretty big with the holiday pack addition and such. I LOVE the jeans that came with it
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    Baby Ariel is a big celebrity, she's just more famous with the younger generations. A lot of the people who play The Sims are adults who started as kids with TS1 or TS2, and, like myself, may not really know who she is. I've heard of her and seen some of the content she creates, but I wouldn't call myself a fan, and I don't particularly care that she was included in the pack. I just ignore her when she shows up in-game.

I think the creators are trying to attract new, younger players who will, like the original players, stick with the game for years or even decades, and celebrities are a good way to do that. That would also explain why Millie Bobby Brown was also chosen for inclusion in the game.

I got no issue with that. The content is non-intrusive unless you really want it to be. I'm not sure I've used any of the Ariel content but the other content not part of her little pack is great.
    If it works to bring more players to the game, keeping the devs putting out more content, then it is a win for all of us.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited January 2019
    I didn't know who she was either, and compared to some simmers I'm sure I'm young, but I've been here since Sims 1 so not that young. All I know is that she's a celebrity. The sponsorship hasn't impacted my game any really but I do like the clothes that have come from it. I'm always happy about CAS items. The updates were sizable but again with free stuff...I'm down for it. Plus terrain editing I've wanted, though I have yet to get the hang of it since it's been awhile since I used it.

My only problem with Ariel is that every time I'm on the forum on desktop and click the logo to go to a home page, instead I'm greeted by Ariel's giant face. Gave me a heart attack at first. 😂 I expected a home page because most sites do that, and I haven't been on here super long, so I don't know if the logo never did it or changed for this. But still. 😂
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited January 2019

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea that Millie Bobby Brown was a real person and not just a sim and when I heard James Turner on youtube talking about Baby Ariel on his Get Famous video I thought, "Huh, what a cute name to give a sim. Its almost like a pop singer name..." I too feel out of the loop but I don't mind. I'm just glad to know these are real life/simsonas so to speak. Your reply caused me to google them both and now I feel just a tiny bit less in the dark about current celebs. :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited January 2019

@floridameerkat
    they sure are doing a great job at alienating older fans/players. It's not just that they add young celebs but the game itself is painfully family friendly. I feel the T raiting is too much even. No exaggeration EC would be safe too.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »

@floridameerkat
    they sure are doing a great job at alienating older fans/players. It's not just that they add young celebs but the game itself is painfully family friendly. I feel the T raiting is too much even. No exaggeration EC would be safe too.

Leaving older, loyal players in the dust seems to be an ongoing trend with the Sims 4.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    My first Sims celebrity that I've never heard of. I hope this doesn't mean I just aged out of the franchise.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I don't even pay attention to any celebrity endorsements. Did not know who she was and my 15 year old did not know her either. Must be a niche-style celebrity, or we are just not into current trends. I was an adult when the franchise launched 18 years ago, so I suspect I aged out of their target audience a long time ago.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member

Leaving older, loyal players in the dust seems to be an ongoing trend with the Sims 4.

Yeah, but we gots the money :wink:

• Options
    simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    Bizarrely, I've never seen Baby Ariel out and about in any of my 3 currently played saves, not even a previous save where I played through to Global Superstar with one sim. She's there in my unplayed households, but just doesn't seem to spawn. Since I didn't know who she was before she entered the game, I'm not really worried about it.

As for the Sims 4 'leaving older, loyal players in the dust'.... I'm an old, loyal player and I thoroughly understand the use of young celebs to bring a new generation of players into the game. I came to The Sims 4 by way of The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 so by the time #4 came out I was already a loyal fan... younger people today are starting with The Sims 4 and have completely different expectations when it comes to gaming and media than my generation did as teens. I was busy playing on my Spectrum and then my first PC back then :D
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    Baby Ariel is an TikTok Star and an YouTube VLogKiddie. So jeah she is only partly famous.

Millie Bobby Brown on the other hand is an actress who is gaining more popularity with her recent roles and she is in some upcoming movies this year like gozilla 2 king of the monsters.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    well at least its not people from twilight
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited January 2019
    well at least its not people from twilight oh sims 3 your still one of my favorite games but that's just so cheesy
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member

Such a golden statement, thank you <3 This is precisely what they should keep in mind them devs.

The Baby Ariel thing is in my game alright along with the rest of premade celebs, but I don't believe I've seen her around more than once. Which is fine by me, because I never play with teens anyway. Most of them just look wrong and I don't recall ever resembling them in behavior when I was a teen myself...you know, waaay back when :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    That would also explain why Millie Bobby Brown was also chosen for inclusion in the game.
    Millie Bobby Brown is in the game?
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I did not pay attention to Baby Ariel yet. Don't know who she is, but understand I'm too old ;) I'll let her be, but would like to know if she has any extra features connected in game, or is she in as an ordinary homeless sim with some fame stars?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    That would also explain why Millie Bobby Brown was also chosen for inclusion in the game.

Briefly, as an event coordinator - instead of Jasmine Holiday.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member

Yes! She was the event coordinator for the Positivity Challenge back in November and her previous simself is available on the gallery.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Well, I'm currently 17, so I guess you could count me as part of the "younger generation", but I had no idea who Baby Ariel is. I guess those who know her belong more to the 12-14 years age group, but I could be wrong with that.

I've also rarely seen her in-game, only two times, both times at the Orchid Club as a passerby, so she wasn't even visiting the lot. Sad actually, as I desperately wanted to try the Book of Chaos on her - I mean, asking her for an autograph o:)
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Madachan88 wrote: »
    Baby Ariel is an TikTok Star and an YouTube VLogKiddie. So jeah she is only partly famous.

Millie Bobby Brown on the other hand is an actress who is gaining more popularity with her recent roles and she is in some upcoming movies this year like gozilla 2 king of the monsters.

Ok..what is "TikTok"?

yes, I know I am old :P
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    @ladybreid An small musik video/ lipsinct app.
    I didn't known about tik tok either until the whole Baby Ariel stuff.

Ps. I'm old too.
  • Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member

Which is exactly why they should vary their celebrity endorsements. They could easily have celebrities from different generations advertise their products, but they're currently choosing celebrities more popular/well known by younger players, even though its the older players and the parents of the younger players who do all the spending (for the most part). Even if the parent of a younger player doesn't actually play the game, seeing a famous face they recognize endorsing a game their child(ren) play might encourage them to buy more content if their kid(s) ask for it or even allow their kid(s) to start playing.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner