Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want jobs to be more difficult to get and easier to lose in Sims 4?

Full job overhaul - when you try to get a job, there is a high chance of being turned down, and you can suddenly lose your job due to layoffs. There is a new category of part-time or low-wage jobs that are relatively easy to get.

I'm not actually suggesting this - I'm curious to see what people think.
I just want things to match. :'(

Do you want jobs to be more difficult to get and easier to lose in Sims 4? 51 votes

Yes! I want more realism in the game, and careers should be difficult to get and require more skills just to get in the door.
58%
Akl500PBluegayleOneAdorkableGirlGalacticGalaprilrosemissmani09elanorbretonsimgirl1010alejandro15039icftlduAlbaWaterhousefiercephoenix91DoloresGreyLyrieSekrilfroggiiqqVentusMattFlyingPotato659SheriSim57pinneduphair 30 votes
Er, No. Bit too much like real life. And it would mess with my storylines.
41%
StormkeepVibseAnmirlainvisiblgirlSeera1024alanmichael1stilljustme2catmando830HermitgirlRedShoe7Teslachick2CupidAshtontoAshton22GrumpyGlowfishitslouisMadachan88munroelejohnvincent0021citysimmerWildIrishBanshee 21 votes

Comments

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2018
    I think I'd like there to just be more consequences and chance cards for the rabbit hole jobs. Much like in the first and second Sims game. You could even lose a skill point at work from a random event at work. Which would suck because your have to grind for skills in that game, but presented a challenge now and again.

Same with chance cards as you could lose money and even your job. There's just not enough consequences in this game.

Don't need realism but I definitely want more penalties in a Sims job and just in the game in general. Had a sim not show up for work for almost a week and eventually they got fired. :*

The thing with chance cards in case people wanna opt out just to 'ignore' it all together.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,685 Member
    Yes! I want more realism in the game, and careers should be difficult to get and require more skills just to get in the door.
    I think the easiest way to solve this dilemma is to have it set up the way it was in Sims2. Not every job was available when your Sim was ready to take on a job. Sometimes you had to wait a few Sim days for the desired position to open up.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,955 Member
    Sounds good to me. I'd like there to be an interview process and a couple of skill points required before getting a job. And the chance of layoffs not due to performance. Sims could work the part time or low wage jobs while trying for a better position.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited December 2018
    I feel like "it's more realistic" isn't always a good reason for implementing or changing features. Sometimes jumping through hoops just makes for a more annoying experience, regardless of how realistic it may be. Leveling skills isn't particularly fun nor is it difficult to do, so I don't want to have to level skills to apply for a job- it doesn't make the experience more difficult or more fun, it just makes it more tedious.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    What @Cupid said. I can see it getting tedious.
    I wouldn't mind more chance options to go bad especially if it could play off of other factors like mood or even traits.
    In a future game I hope we get a toggle for how hard we want the game to be.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    Yeah no, I'm all set. I even got a mod to turn off the chance cards in S2! It just gets really old, really fast.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    Cupid wrote: »
    I feel like "it's more realistic" isn't always a good reason for implementing or changing features. Sometimes jumping through hoops just makes for a more annoying experience, regardless of how realistic it may be. Leveling skills isn't particularly fun nor is it difficult to do, so I don't want to have to level skills to apply for a job- it doesn't make the experience more difficult or more fun, it just makes it more tedious.

No need to type anything, @Cupid said it so well.

Would like to see more variety in the chance cards though, with more strong effects in both the negative and positive direction. Just cause I like the wrench that random chance can throw into my gameplay. Maybe with an option to toggle them off though, for people who are control freaks, because anything random is bad when you approach the game as a carefully crafted story. For that reason, I'd have voted a more middle option if one was available.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Well, I did like in ts1 and 2 that there were only a limited amount of jobs available per day and that it could take quite a while before you would get into the career you actually wanted. So, getting a job shouldn't be hard, but it would be nice if you wouldn't always be able to immediately start your dream job. And chance cards too, would be nice, those were pretty interesting, especially when you got a promotion or big bonus or got demoted or fired. Part time jobs would be OK too, adds more diversity.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    I think I'd like there to just be more consequences and chance cards for the rabbit hole jobs. Much like in the first and second Sims game. You could even lose a skill point at work from a random event at work. Which would suck because your have to grind for skills in that game, but presented a challenge now and again.

Same with chance cards as you could lose money and even your job. There's just not enough consequences in this game.

Don't need realism but I definitely want more penalties in a Sims job and just in the game in general. Had a sim not show up for work for almost a week and eventually they got fired. :*

The thing with chance cards in case people wanna opt out just to 'ignore' it all together.

I really like this idea. Optional Business trips would be really cool too.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    FINDING A JOB: If I want a certain career for a sim, then I want that job when I want it, not when the game decides to let me have it.

LOSING A JOB: Many of my sims are slackers. They want to put in minimal effort without getting promoted or fired.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I would like this but honestly I imagine them going this once University comes out and it brings 3+ new careers that instead of being tied to your social group like ts3 they are tied to what degree you got and you need that specific degree to unlock the career.

Also I want them to change how you get promoted in the active careers. You shouldn't just have to complete a task (gtw) or give a good performance (gf) but should also have to learn skills and in the casw of acting raise your fame.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Hmmm like most things done right it could be a real game changer, done wrong it could be an annoyance~ I'd throw my hat into the ring though~ *flings Santa hat*
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I wouldn't mind a bit of a challenge in terms of getting the job -- not so much having to have skill points to get a job because that would be difficult for newly-minted Sims fresh out of CAS. But I liked in Sims 3 how not every job was available every day, so maybe you have to wait to get your dream job. Chance cards that can drop your Sim a level or even two (high risk, high reward for success but failure means higher consequences) would be better than outright losing your job for me, as long as there's a way to disregard it; one of my problems with the current chance card system is that you can't dismiss them if you don't like either choice. Maybe just an X in the corner, the way you can dismiss whims, would help.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,989 Member
    Yes, as long as you can dismiss chance cards if you don’t want them. With some sims I might want a job to be harder, with other sims they are hard enough.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member
    I definitely think you should have to have a few skill points in something to be able to access particular jobs.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Since the results looks like it is going around 50/50

If we would ever come to this - It would probably be best if we have like some sort of on/off settings if we ever come to a choice of making careers challenging while others can stick with the story-line without a worry of losing a career which I can understand that sort of frustration.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

That's more or less how I feel - I usually only play careers to see what happens. People have various levels of realism they want in their game - I like household chores, I never cheat to fill motives, and I like to earn skills and aspiration bonuses. (I like skill-building, myself. I wish we had more skills and hobbies.) I'm less interested in realistic household finances. I usually start my Sims off with enough money to build and furnish the house with whatever sort of matches, and I like nurturing my toddlers without the bother of having to juggle a career. Fortunately, Uncle Klepaucius has been very generous over the years.

I would like to see part-time jobs for adults, and regular volunteer jobs (that they automatically do every day). It would also be nice to see some of the part-time jobs from S3 extended to full-time jobs - they were all fairly low-wage, with only three levels of advancement. That would work well for people who like to play rags to riches stories. I'd actually like to see an education pack that would set the bar a bit higher - maybe you could start a career, but you'd need to do online or night classes to advance.
    I just want things to match. :'(