Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Christmas Foods from around the world

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Russia here. I strongly recommend you to try this recipe. It's quite popular down here, because it's extremely tasty, hearty and easy to make. Though I suspect we're gonna pick pizza-cola for our menu this year. :D Celebrating with my band, we're quitters.

It's called Olivier (pronounced like Olivye) salad. It's very common, when people, especially the 40+ years old generation, cook lots of different salads for every big date, but this one is the most popular.

You need boiled chicken, eggs and potatoes, pickled cucumbers, and canned green peas. Other people add boiled carrot and onions, but I never do, I don't like them. The taste doesn't get worse though. So you need to slice chicken, eggs and potatoes to small pieces, add other ingredients and mix everything with mayonnaise. It's ready. ;)

Oh, and you can use any kind of meat instead of/with chicken.

1e0b0cfd36c9.jpg

It looks like a salad we have here called "Piémontaise".

I was gonna comment on that, it does 😂
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    I will be trying this before Christmas even!! :lol:
    You won't regret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Since we're in the process of trying to pack to move, I think we may just do a "Japanese-style Christmas". :mrgreen:

maxresdefault.jpg

Luckily we have plenty of these restaurants out here in Canada. :D Too busy to find time to cook a turkey.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    Since we're in the process of trying to pack to move, I think we may just do a "Japanese-style Christmas". :mrgreen:

maxresdefault.jpg

Luckily we have plenty of these restaurants out here in Canada. :D Too busy to find time to cook a turkey.

I still don't understand why Japan eat KFC for Christmas 😂 and probably never will
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    A typical British roast dinner for me, turkey, roast potatoes, veg, pigs in blankets (sausages wrapped in bacon), Yorkshire pudding, stuffing and gravy.

For dessert I usually have cheesecake because I love them. :love:
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Well, I'm not in my home region (Eastern Canada) for Christmas this year, but something that people might eat around the holidays (though not necessarily on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve) is lobster.

Lobster fishing is heavily regulated where I live, and different parts of the provinces will have lobster fishing seasons. Some of them run around Christmastime. It's not uncommon to see a fisherman selling lobster from his truck, caught fresh that morning. Lobster is more expensive than other foods, but considering it's lobster, it's pretty cheap here from what I've heard in other places. I think (haven't checked the prices lately) you might be able to buy some for $7.99 or $9.99 CDN a pound (it will cost more, like at least $12/pound CDN when buying it at a store vs. buying directly from fishermen). It's a really nice treat, and people will buy it around Christmas time, as well as other times of the year according to the season. My mom really likes it, so my family would maybe get lobster once every 1-2 years. :blush:

A lot of people here eat your classic turkey or ham for Christmas dinner. There's a lot of farms in the Eastern provinces, so there's lots of good vegetables to enjoy. My mom would always buy bags of local cranberries in the fall, freeze them, and use them to make cranberry sauce. Homemade cranberry sauce is the best (and I like it more than gravy).

My mom always made this cherry cake in a big tube pan at Christmas too. It has maraschino cherries which I usually hate, but in this cake they're fantastic. Gingerbread cookies are an all-around favourite :yum:
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited December 2018
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    Well, I'm not in my home region (Eastern Canada) for Christmas this year, but something that people might eat around the holidays (though not necessarily on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve) is lobster.

Lobster fishing is heavily regulated where I live, and different parts of the provinces will have lobster fishing seasons. Some of them run around Christmastime. It's not uncommon to see a fisherman selling lobster from his truck, caught fresh that morning. Lobster is more expensive than other foods, but considering it's lobster, it's pretty cheap here from what I've heard in other places. I think (haven't checked the prices lately) you might be able to buy some for $7.99 or $9.99 CDN a pound (it will cost more, like at least $12/pound CDN when buying it at a store vs. buying directly from fishermen). It's a really nice treat, and people will buy it around Christmas time, as well as other times of the year according to the season. My mom really likes it, so my family would maybe get lobster once every 1-2 years. :blush:

A lot of people here eat your classic turkey or ham for Christmas dinner. There's a lot of farms in the Eastern provinces, so there's lots of good vegetables to enjoy. My mom would always buy bags of local cranberries in the fall, freeze them, and use them to make cranberry sauce. Homemade cranberry sauce is the best (and I like it more than gravy).

My mom always made this cherry cake in a big tube pan at Christmas too. It has maraschino cherries which I usually hate, but in this cake they're fantastic. Gingerbread cookies are an all-around favourite :yum:

@Lyoufln, Lobster for Christmas sounds awesome, eh. :) Your Christmas meal sounds delicious.
    nani wrote: »
    I still don't understand why Japan eat KFC for Christmas 😂 and probably never will

Yeah, me neither. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited December 2018
    My family likes to mix African and American food for Christmas and Thanksgiving. We have turkey, chicken, jollof rice, rice bread (the west african kind that has bananas), mac and cheese, and more.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited December 2018
    Fruitcake is sometimes given in my family around Christmastime. Here is a gluten-free fruitcake recipe (haven't tried it so don't know if it is any good): https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2014/11/30/gluten-free-fruitcake/ If you don't need to eat gluten free, I would recommend the fruitcake by Harry and David. (harryanddavid.com) especially if you like maraschino cherries.

On Christmas Eve every year, our family also has asparagus soup as a course of the evening meal.
    DSCN0899-410x298.jpg
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Sad_cat89Sad_cat89 Posts: 71 Member
    Everything sounds so fancy overseas! So many great ideas (I'll probably be trying them all year round).

I feel like most Sims about fruitcake, but I get excited for it every year and have a great big helping. My gran's fruitcake is the best :lol:
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Well this year my brother and his gf will be leaving Christmas day, so we won't be doing dinner. I don't have any special planned for brunch, just sausage, bacon, eggs, crescents, fruit, and nuts. I usually do a Farmer's Casserole. I'd probably do something more traditional like pancakes or cinnamon rolls, but my brother's girlfriend doesn't like sweet things at breakfast time.

When they were here for Christmas two years ago, we had Prime Rib and Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli, and Mac and cheese. (I think that was everything?) I also made dessert, but everyone was too full to eat it and I honestly have forgotten what it was.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't do anything special for Christmas Eve dinner, but it's also my brother's girlfriend's birthday. When they were here two years ago, I made Butter Chicken. This year, we're having a personal pizza party. She's requested Pepperoni (slices), bell pepper, mushroom, and red onion. I will probably get tomato chunks and bacon bits to add to mine. Two years ago, she asked for a chocolate cake, so I made a Death by Chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting (extremely decadent, I would only recommend it to hardcore sweets lovers and even then, very small pieces) and this year she's requested brownies.

maxresdefault.jpg

Since it was just my dad and I last year, we did the same thing. I even called it the same thing, "a traditional Japanese Christmas dinner". :joy:
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻