Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Christmas Foods from around the world

Sad_cat89Sad_cat89 Posts: 71 Member
What will everyone be eating for Christmas?

I haven't really planned much yet, not that it would matter as the plans have changed anyway.
We usually have gammon, chicken, lamb, tongue and some or another pork. With random salads and vegetables.
Dessert is usually trifle, ice cream, custard and whatever decadent baked thing my sister dreamt up :love:

This year I wanted to do less, and buy ingredients for sandwiches for the homeless. It was supposed to just be me, hubby and baby. But it seems all the Grans have decided to show up :pensive:

Comments

• Options
    PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    We usually have a dinner (unconventional one mind - one year it was spaghetti meatballs). A bucket tonne of snacks and junk food to snack on throughout the holidays, beverages both fizzy and boozy - but other than that it's kinda just a lot of food and we end up snacking our way through it still in January
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited December 2018
    Steak au poivre, salad (I think with mandarin oranges or some other fruit in it), and assorted vegetables. Bananas Foster for dessert. I think I'm going to attempt a homemade fruit cake, lol. I've never had one, but it might be fun to try. If it turns out awful, we'll still have my dad's dessert.

Edit: @PastelMermaid my in-laws always had spaghetti for Christmas dinner!
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    We normally have turkey, roast potatoes, vegetables, Yorkshire puddings, stuffing, pigs in blankets.

And then for pudding, we'll have a Christmas Pudding, or a Yule log :)
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    Salmon, a family recipe of cold mashed potatoes, tuna, mayo and red peppers, shrimp in sauces with vegetables, meat, and dessert is usually a log made of ice cream or a log cake
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    I think we're doing breakfast this year as our actual gathering, since it's the only time that will work for everyone. I'm sure my mom will cook our "usual" treats to snack on at her house, though. (I live two hours away and only make it home a handful of times every year).

Usuals:
    -Little smokeys
    -Holiday punch
    -Taco dip
    -Baked beans
    -Cheese/meat tray
    -Other assorted appetizers (we usually have veggie pizza)
    -Cookies and fudge

I requested a popcorn cake this year, which is something we haven't done before, but I had the holiday punch with popcorn at Thankgiving and thought it was really yummy.
  • Options
    Sorry for all the replies in one comment

@PastelMermaid - We also have the junk food snacks, well more so when I was a kid. My parents would give us an additional amount of money just for candies and crap! :smiley: It was AMAZING. Hahaha. I was very tempted to not cook and just get pizza or something this year.

@Idontrcall - It all sounds so fancy, also learned a new name for steak in pepper sauce (I had to google :disappointed: ) :tongue:

@the_greenplumbob - Sounds incredible too, however, we don't really get great Turkey in South Africa. No matter who prepares it, it's always a dry mess.

@nani - That is a lot of Fish! It all sounds so light and fluffy <3

@CheesySimsLover - What is a popcorn cake and how can I get one of those? Now I want to take early leave and start making all the snacks!! :wink:
  • Options
    @Sad_cat89 (rip Stan Lee :'( )

Salmon's expensive we can't have it often, the recipe is a tradition from our roots <3

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited December 2018
    In France we often have Smocked Salmon, Foie Gras (with gingerbread toasts for me when I have it, but I'm not a fan of the way they make Foie Gras as well as a bit grossed out), Turkey with roasted chestnuts and/or potatoes and often as a dessert a "bûche" an Ice Cream or a cake shaped like a decorated log. Also I stuff myself with eat chocolates :)

I forgot : Many people also like having shrimps, lobster, scallops, oysters (ew).
  • Options
    Dianesims wrote: »
    In France we often have Smocked Salmon, Foie Gras (with gingerbread toasts for me when I have it, but I'm not a fan of the way the make Foie Gras as well as a bit grossed out), Turkey with roasted chestnuts and/or potatoes and often as a dessert a "bûche" an Ice Cream or a cake shaped like a decorated log. Also I stuff myself with eat chocolates :)

I forgot : Many people also like having shrimps, lobster, scallops, oysters (ew).

HOW COULD I FORGET FOIE GRAS ?! lmao i'm such a bad french.

• Options
    nani wrote: »
    @Sad_cat89 (rip Stan Lee :'( )

Salmon's expensive we can't have it often, the recipe is a tradition from our roots <3

That's great when you have something like that! So lucky <3
  • Options
    In France we often have Smocked Salmon, Foie Gras (with gingerbread toasts for me when I have it, but I'm not a fan of the way they make Foie Gras as well as a bit grossed out), Turkey with roasted chestnuts and/or potatoes and often as a dessert a "bûche" an Ice Cream or a cake shaped like a decorated log. Also I stuff myself with eat chocolates :)

I know so little about the French.

We like seafood in South Africa, but we don't really do that for Christmas unless you live near the ocean, I guess :P
    Yeah, I don't know. The ingredients of Foie Gras sound gross to me as it is - I am not a fan of liver. hehe. Or kidneys or any Offal that my husband says is the BEST THING ever.
  • Options
    ShepardShepard Posts: 125 Member
    In Norway we have a very traditional dish of either pork or sheep. I don't care much for it, but I eat the side dishes of vegetables. Also a kind of creamy rice pudding with strawberry sauce is dessert. That is nice.
  • Options
    CharliecheesenurgersCharliecheesenurgers Posts: 3,673 Member
    My family makes reindeer poop. It’s actually chocolate with different types of nuts topped with sprinkles. I love it!
    Come Join our mafia games in the off-topic chat! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930404/mafia-masterlist#latest
    It's a lot of fun!
  • Options
    Shepard wrote: »
    In Norway we have a very traditional dish of either pork or sheep. I don't care much for it, but I eat the side dishes of vegetables. Also a kind of creamy rice pudding with strawberry sauce is dessert. That is nice.

What is wrong with the pork or sheep? We just overindulge, I saw turkey and duck in the shops the other day, rabbit also. We rarely eat that any other time of the year. So you'll see a lot of families buying 1 chicken, 1 turkey, 1 duck, 1 rabbit, 1 rack of lamb, 1 gammon, 1 ham, 1 tongue and whatever else there is. Then we make all our vegetables and salads and multiple desserts, anything from a baked pudding with custard to trifle to ice cream and candy and chocolates. Most of the times we don't even know how to cook it properly :lol:
  • Options
    My family makes reindeer poop. It’s actually chocolate with different types of nuts topped with sprinkles. I love it!

I've never had it, but now I love it too!
  • Options
    CharliecheesenurgersCharliecheesenurgers Posts: 3,673 Member
    Sad_cat89 wrote: »

It’s pretty good. You can look it up online.
    Come Join our mafia games in the off-topic chat! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930404/mafia-masterlist#latest
    It's a lot of fun!
  • Options
    I

It’s pretty good. You can look it up online.

I will be adding this to my "nothing" gift for family list.
  • Options
    MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    Russia here. I strongly recommend you to try this recipe. It's quite popular down here, because it's extremely tasty, hearty and easy to make. Though I suspect we're gonna pick pizza-cola for our menu this year. :D Celebrating with my band, we're quitters.

It's called Olivier (pronounced like Olivye) salad. It's very common, when people, especially the 40+ years old generation, cook lots of different salads for every big date, but this one is the most popular.

You need boiled chicken, eggs and potatoes, pickled cucumbers, and canned green peas. Other people add boiled carrot and onions, but I never do, I don't like them. The taste doesn't get worse though. So you need to slice chicken, eggs and potatoes to small pieces, add other ingredients and mix everything with mayonnaise. It's ready. ;)

Oh, and you can use any kind of meat instead of/with chicken.

1e0b0cfd36c9.jpg

• Options
    mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Just the ole traditional American food here for me, nothing fancey
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    In our family we get together on Christmas Eve to open presents and everyone brings the typical snacks to enjoy; chips/dip, little weiners in BBQ/Grape Jelly sauce, veggies/dill dip, puppy chow (not what it sounds like, Google it ;)) etc., and have egg nog (spiked for adults) and soft drinks. Christmas we get together again and have our big meal. Traditionally we have; Prime Rib roast, mashed potatoes/gravy, corn, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, garden salad, dinner rolls and dessert.

The dessert would be a birthday cake for my Mother and Father-in-law in past years, but they're gone now. Lately we've just been having apple pie with vanilla ice cream, cherry pie with whipped cream, Christmas sugar cookies and homemade fudge.

When I was growing up my Mother would always make a jelly roll cake, sugar cookies, and divinity fudge. My Dad would make peanut brittle and hard rock candy. We always got an orange and walnuts in our stockings too that my Mom would lay on the foot of our beds on Christmas Eve for my sister and I to discover in the morning. It kept us busy for awhile so they could sleep a little longer before the chaos of Christmas morning opening up presents. :)

My Mom always made homemade cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning breakfast. My sister and I would eat them with hot chocolate while my parents had coffee.

I miss them both so much...

Happy Holidays and Happy Simming everyone! <3
  • Options
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    In our family we get together on Christmas Eve to open presents and everyone brings the typical snacks to enjoy; chips/dip, little weiners in BBQ/Grape Jelly sauce, veggies/dill dip, puppy chow (not what it sounds like, Google it ;)) etc., and have egg nog (spiked for adults) and soft drinks. Christmas we get together again and have our big meal. Traditionally we have; Prime Rib roast, mashed potatoes/gravy, corn, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, garden salad, dinner rolls and dessert.

The dessert would be a birthday cake for my Mother and Father-in-law in past years, but they're gone now. Lately we've just been having apple pie with vanilla ice cream, cherry pie with whipped cream, Christmas sugar cookies and homemade fudge.

When I was growing up my Mother would always make a jelly roll cake, sugar cookies, and divinity fudge. My Dad would make peanut brittle and hard rock candy. We always got an orange and walnuts in our stockings too that my Mom would lay on the foot of our beds on Christmas Eve for my sister and I to discover in the morning. It kept us busy for awhile so they could sleep a little longer before the chaos of Christmas morning opening up presents. :)

My Mom always made homemade cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning breakfast. My sister and I would eat them with hot chocolate while my parents had coffee.

I miss them both so much...

Happy Holidays and Happy Simming everyone! <3

Aaaaw @Karababy52, your post is breaking my heart. I am very sorry for your losses. <3

You just described the type of Christmas I want to give my child! She saw her first ever Christmas tree last night and she cannot stop looking at it.
  • Options
    Russia here. I strongly recommend you to try this recipe. It's quite popular down here, because it's extremely tasty, hearty and easy to make. Though I suspect we're gonna pick pizza-cola for our menu this year. :D Celebrating with my band, we're quitters.

It's called Olivier (pronounced like Olivye) salad. It's very common, when people, especially the 40+ years old generation, cook lots of different salads for every big date, but this one is the most popular.

You need boiled chicken, eggs and potatoes, pickled cucumbers, and canned green peas. Other people add boiled carrot and onions, but I never do, I don't like them. The taste doesn't get worse though. So you need to slice chicken, eggs and potatoes to small pieces, add other ingredients and mix everything with mayonnaise. It's ready. ;)

1e0b0cfd36c9.jpg

I will be trying this before Christmas even!! :lol: Olivier is also a rather common last name here. haha
  • Options
    mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    "A box of mashed potatoes."

"A big ole ham".

"A box of day old rolls."

"Two kinds of jam!"

--(Imogene and Gladys Herdman, the actors portraying them are Marina*, Hana, Olive, and Anna*

*names have been changed to keep their real names a secret*

Get the ole cookies out.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Options

I know so little about the French.

We like seafood in South Africa, but we don't really do that for Christmas unless you live near the ocean, I guess :P
    Yeah, I don't know. The ingredients of Foie Gras sound gross to me as it is - I am not a fan of liver. hehe. Or kidneys or any Offal that my husband says is the BEST THING ever.

Well it's gross to me too, I can't eat offal, but on the other hand I've been used to eat Foie Gras for Christmas since before I even knew what that was and how it was made.
  • Options

1e0b0cfd36c9.jpg

It looks like a salad we have here called "Piémontaise".