Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Actor not famous?

I am playing two sims, one is fame hungry and one isn't. The one who isn't is at Level 8 acting career but only a 2-star celeb. Shouldn't any sim with a Level 8 acting automatically become more famous? I think the fame points should increase dramatically. As a 2 star celeb, he won't even be allowed to go to the awards ceremony.

Comments

• Options
    roflmaoxsarahroflmaoxsarah Posts: 4,132 Member
    edited November 2018
    I don’t remember practicing acting giving you fame points? It’s more so how well your sim does executing scenes at their gigs that determine whether or not they can get more famous. That and long experience? At least that’s what I think anyway. High skill in acting does help those gigs.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,109 Member
    I don’t remember practicing acting giving you fame points? It’s more so how well your sim does executing scenes at their gigs that determine whether or not they can get more famous. That and long experience? At least that’s what I think anyway. High skill in acting does help those gigs.

I was referring to Level 8 in the acting career. Not the acting skill
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    When you go to the award ceremony you can click on the door and set the celebrity level lower.. or higher. My sim was a three star celebrity when I sent him. I didn't need to change the level but it was possible to do.

As for the other part .. I haven't played the active acting career yet but the interactions that give fame are pretty boldly labeled. Fame is a result of interacting with the public somehow on your sim or interacting through their work or things that become known. Even reclusive stars have to put themselves out there now and then. That's just the way it is.
    You said yourself one of your stars is fame hungry.. so I guess that one is getting ahead because they are working the system?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    When you go to the award ceremony you can click on the door and set the celebrity level lower.. or higher. My sim was a three star celebrity when I sent him. I didn't need to change the level but it was possible to do.

As for the other part .. I haven't played the active acting career yet but the interactions that give fame are pretty boldly labeled. Fame is a result of interacting with the public somehow on your sim or interacting through their work or things that become known. Even reclusive stars have to put themselves out there now and then. That's just the way it is.
    You said yourself one of your stars is fame hungry.. so I guess that one is getting ahead because they are working the system?

That is correct. I'm doing everything possible to for that fame hungry sim to gain points. He's almost at level 3 just being a "YouTuber" using the video production table ALOT. My "Superstar" (non-fame hungry) actor is at level 2 celeb. I started having him do some more things to gain fame but my story is that he just wants to be a serious actor...and not care about the celebrity aspect. His roommate is all about the spotlight. It's been fun to play...so much, in fact, I increased their time span because I've been playing so much the sim days are just going by fast! Needed them to stay young adults a little bit longer.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,947 Member
    From what I have seen in the SimGurus' getting famous excel file, promotions won't make your sims more famous (except in Drama Club).
    The thing is that gigs don't happen often. Your sim must first go to audition and then if they get the role act the gig. This gives some fame if you got the silver and more if you got the gold. If you want to gain more fame, perform street acting either alone or with random sims for tips. You can do that every day at any time you want. It also helps your sim to keep the fame as sometimes you have two days before the next gig, which may start decreasing your sim's fame.
    If your sim isn't allowed to go to awards ceremony, you can either click on the bouncer door and lower the fame level or talk to the bouncer.
    If you want to see the excel file, here's SimGuruGraham's tweet that has the link to the file:
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    What I’ve been finding from acting is doing the gigs alone doesn’t quite give you a whole star, and then it starts to decay before your next gig so it’s very tough to get famous from just acting alone. My sim is a two star celebrity at level 5 in acting. I hired a PR agency and hoping I can start seeing more increase in her game with some perks and stuff.
  • Options
    hmae123 wrote: »
    What I’ve been finding from acting is doing the gigs alone doesn’t quite give you a whole star, and then it starts to decay before your next gig so it’s very tough to get famous from just acting alone. My sim is a two star celebrity at level 5 in acting. I hired a PR agency and hoping I can start seeing more increase in her game with some perks and stuff.

Yup I just hired a PR agency too so hoping that will help.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »

My actor sim got famous (points) and progressed quickly when I started using the vlogger equipment. Posting videos, especially for companies who recruit your sim, brings in fame and a good bit of money. If you haven't tried vlogging yet, I suggest you give it a try to keep your sims fame from dropping too quickly.
  • Options
    Acting scenes in public is fun also. Your reclusive star could go out now and then for a promo and sign a few autographs later.
    I'm having some fun with my 3 star celeb with no acting talent doing this in public... It's funny stuff. He carries his upgraded drone everywhere lol. You can have them record you eating or reading.. doesn't matter. I love that it shuts off for bathroom and woohoo privacy though :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    My actor sim does all his vlogs in his tighty whities. I don't know if that's why they are so popular or not, but he's raking in the bucks. :D
  • Options
    SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    I think this makes sense that you can be a great actor but not very famous. In RL, there are tons of actors that are have given a great performance (great at acting) but not "famous." In order to be famous you have to be in the public eye, not just good at what you do. Just look at the Kardashians - they are famous for being famous.
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Fame decays if you don't do fame actions everyday(Usually many depending on how much is gained). My actor sim, level 3, doesn't even have one star yet because the only actions I have him doing that gain him fame are his acting gigs. The time between gigs mean the fame gained at the last gig has almost all decayed, keeping him going up and down.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,790 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

I was referring to Level 8 in the acting career. Not the acting skill

I've not played the acting career beyond one audition and one gig. But, it seems to me you may move up a ladder in a career, but that doesn't always make you good at what you're doing. Perhaps, a higher skill is required to earn fame? That would be my guess.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    AlorapopAlorapop Posts: 903 Member
    I found that making music, and painting comes in pretty handy. So does getting a camera, taking pictures then posting them to Instagram. In order to do this you have to take the photo out of inventory. I then sell the photos.
    tumblr_mvvt2iJ33k1slamnjo1_400.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'd say if you climb the career ladder, that will mean you're good. Posting photos on Instagram should be a nice extra, not a necessity to become famous. That's so not how it works. First someone becomes famous, then we become interested and only thén do we like to see more of them. When they already are famous. Take Benedict Cumberbatch. Pretty famous, not on social media ("I’d much rather spend my energy doing what brought me to their attention in the first place, which is my work.”)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I have played Get Famous courtesy of my friend. It was my experience after a considerable amount of time the quickest way to build fame is to become a blogger or youtuber. It will be almost necessary even if your sim is an actor which doesn’t feel realistic to me. There are plenty of famous people in their respective fields who don’t rely on social media to boost their fame.
  • Options
    I have played Get Famous courtesy of my friend. It was my experience after a considerable amount of time the quickest way to build fame is to become a blogger or youtuber. It will be almost necessary even if your sim is an actor which doesn’t feel realistic to me. There are plenty of famous people in their respective fields who don’t rely on social media to boost their fame.

I agree with this. I am currently playing to roommates. One is an actor and one is a blogger/youtuber. The Youtuber sim was gaining fame so much quicker than my actor. However, I will say the actor surpassed him at Level 4 now while the youtuber is still at Level 3 (but close to 4). But I attribute that to the acting gigs really helped.
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Sure social media helps, but to say its "almost necessary" is dramatic. I have made several 4 or 5 star celebrities now without using social media or any of the influencer perks (because I hate them) and its not that bad at all.
  • Options
    Reksoh wrote: »
    Sure social media helps, but to say its "almost necessary" is dramatic. I have made several 4 or 5 star celebrities now without using social media or any of the influencer perks (because I hate them) and its not that bad at all.

Is your Sim an actor or another career? Just asking cause I am curious to know if you have a non-actor sim how they are gaining fame without social media.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    aaronrulz wrote: »

Is your Sim an actor or another career? Just asking cause I am curious to know if you have a non-actor sim how they are gaining fame without social media.

I did one actor, but I also have a singer who is currently 4 stars and a comedian, as well as a painter. With the singer, I mostly got fame by performing in crowded areas. My painter got fame easily from making and selling paintings and my comedian did his routines in lounges. None of these 3 used social media, in fact I still have the option to create a profile on all of them.

And, they all interact with other celebrities too, which helped them get famous. They also went to charity benefits and used the PR agent. Also, the regular careers all offer two chances to gain bonus fame while you're playing in them. I had my comedian in the entertainment career and my painter in the painting one.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

As I said it was my experience after 6/7 hours with the game.
  • Options
    Eventually, I want to do a gameplay with a famous doctor resembling "Dr. Mike" (If you don't know who that is, look up this hottie doctor on Instagram) I will have to do social media because I don't think there is anything within the doctor career that would gain him fame points. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    Maybe what is meant here, is that it’s almost necessary when you want to get them famous within an acceptable amount of time, in comparison to YouTubers? Or actors who are using social media in the game? This ingredient should be a possibility in the game, not something the player is almost forced to turn to if they want to achieve what they want to achieve (suggesting it’s very important for actors to do this, it’s almost insulting and downplaying their job). I compare it to the ‘playing social games’ in Sims 3. When a sim feels miserable, sure I can make them read (fun bar will fill up real slowly; the creators seem to have this issue with reading somehow), I can make them play a computer game (a faster way, very educational: playing games is so much more fun than reading) OR (boost boost boost) I can make them play a social game on their tablet. As a player, when filling that bar is needed to be able to start doing other things with my sims, I always choose the latter. Funny detail, the tablet and the social games option was added to the game around the time they started experimenting with simport and developing Sims 4.

It’s just poor designing choice to force players to ride the creator’s hobby horses.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Maybe what is meant here, is that it’s almost necessary when you want to get them famous within an acceptable amount of time, in comparison to YouTubers? Or actors who are using social media in the game? This ingredient should be a possibility in the game, not something the player is almost forced to turn to if they want to achieve what they want to achieve (suggesting it’s very important for actors to do this, it’s almost insulting and downplaying their job). I compare it to the ‘playing social games’ in Sims 3. When a sim feels miserable, sure I can make them read (fun bar will fill up real slowly; the creators seem to have this issue with reading somehow), I can make them play a computer game (a faster way, very educational: playing games is so much more fun than reading) OR (boost boost boost) I can make them play a social game on their tablet. As a player, when filling that bar is needed to be able to start doing other things with my sims, I always choose the latter. Funny detail, the tablet and the social games option was added to the game around the time they started experimenting with simport and developing Sims 4.

It’s just poor designing choice to force players to ride the creator’s hobby horses.

It doesn't take much longer without social media than it does with it. I think people are assuming they can just do any interaction that says +fame even if their sim is just sitting at home and it will make them famous. But that is not the case. Once you get your sims out to those crowded venues and make them perform or send them out to charity events to socialize with celebrities, they get fame just as good as a social media star would.

I don't like the social media aspect of the pack at all, but when people say the only way to get famous is by social media or that social media is the only reasonable way to do it it's far from the truth.
  • Options
    @aaronrulz
    One of the best pairings I can think of for a Doctor would be to write and publish books.. Not necessarily Dr. Mike of course.
    Also if you can get a hold of that celestial crown and a diamond(s)... when you are about to do something that gives fame especially private stuff like selling crafted works, publishing, streaming privately ect.. wear it. It gives a nice boost to fame.
    When other sims see them wearing the crown they make fun of them.
    egTcBMc.png