Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas for quick game sessions?

Comments

• Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    ...Reading something and going into the game to try it out/test it. In my own case often to prove a point ahem, meaning defending Sims 3 in certain sections here ;) (“no, sims in 3 don’t just stand there reading a book at a party” for instance, and “no, they don’t leave their babies lying on the floor and ignore them when there’s a crib in the house”)
    This seems the appropriate topic to post such a test in now, because I don't want to derail the topic any further where this was brought up: do sims in TS3 lose any weight and gain muscle when working out? Definitely not, some said. So, let's do the test and let the game speak for itself ;)

Meet Fausto, our guinea pig for the occasion. Just arriving at the gym with his 'slider all to the right' body shape.

0RPV8bR.jpg

vZB0bvE.jpg

9:19 am: let's start.

20:30 pm: after 13 hours of working out.

BBH8RHg.jpg

I think it's clear we can conclude that yes, working out matters to sims in 3.

He looks healthy now but if he doesn't workout every day he will gain it back, at least that has been my experience playing Malcolm Landgrabb.
  • Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    edited November 2018
    ...Reading something and going into the game to try it out/test it. In my own case often to prove a point ahem, meaning defending Sims 3 in certain sections here ;) (“no, sims in 3 don’t just stand there reading a book at a party” for instance, and “no, they don’t leave their babies lying on the floor and ignore them when there’s a crib in the house”)
    This seems the appropriate topic to post such a test in now, because I don't want to derail the topic any further where this was brought up: do sims in TS3 lose any weight and gain muscle when working out? Definitely not, some said. So, let's do the test and let the game speak for itself ;)

Meet Fausto, our guinea pig for the occasion. Just arriving at the gym with his 'slider all to the right' body shape.

0RPV8bR.jpg

vZB0bvE.jpg

RHdRSUi.jpg

s6YxevJ.jpg

4sPvMyM.jpg

0LOzKVk.jpg

At 12:32 pm Fausto's exhausted and automously gets off the tredmill.

4OlG5IW.jpg

Clearly not there yet though, please proceed.

rptpSMQ.jpg

02KUYSR.jpg

4:13 pm: the ladies are clearly beginning to notice a difference, that's for sure :mrgreen:

2hdp2L9.jpg

RwHwhmU.jpg

BBH8RHg.jpg

Wow I wish my body would tone that much in the space of 12 hours LOL

I commented on that thread earlier. When you go all out and focus on working out for a sim to go from "fat" to "muscular" then yes the difference is obvious. I myself have never noticed any dramatic change in a sims appearance when playing in a general way that doesn't focus on altering body shape. I have noticed the subtle aging changes just not the few extra pounds or abs starting to show :)

where all the body sliders set to the right? as that would already give the sim large muscle size and definition hidden under the body fat mass slider (can't remember what the top slider is called)

edit: on my phone so autocorrect is having a party

Introducing Alfie Sheldon - a pink haired, grey eyed Nerd

Rk6yZgn9k76u5AyJ8
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rk6yZgn9k76u5AyJ8 - I still can't post images
    Post edited by Lilypink79 on
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    cwaddell wrote: »

0RPV8bR.jpg

vZB0bvE.jpg

BBH8RHg.jpg

He looks healthy now but if he doesn't workout every day he will gain it back, at least that has been my experience playing Malcolm Landgrabb.
    Yes, I experienced that twice. I played a chubby sim once who’d become chubby again when I wouldn’t make him work out and I played an extremely thin sim (still don’t really understand why but that was how he was born) who’d become thin again. The game apparently pulls the sliders back to the way the sim was created when you don’t make them workout. My point however was: working out does influence their body shape, be it temporary.
    Lilypink79 wrote: »

0RPV8bR.jpg

vZB0bvE.jpg

RHdRSUi.jpg

s6YxevJ.jpg

4sPvMyM.jpg

0LOzKVk.jpg

At 12:32 pm Fausto's exhausted and automously gets off the tredmill.

4OlG5IW.jpg

Clearly not there yet though, please proceed.

rptpSMQ.jpg

02KUYSR.jpg

4:13 pm: the ladies are clearly beginning to notice a difference, that's for sure :mrgreen:

2hdp2L9.jpg

RwHwhmU.jpg

BBH8RHg.jpg

Wow I wish my body would tone that much in the space of 12 hours LOL

I commented on that thread earlier. When you go all out and focus on working out for a sim to go from "fat" to "muscular" then yes the difference is obvious. I myself have never noticed any dramatic change in a sims appearance when playing in a general way that doesn't focus on altering body shape. I have noticed the subtle aging changes just not the few extra pounds or abs starting to show :)

where all the body sliders set to the right? as that would already give the sim large muscle size and definition hidden under the body fat mass slider (can't remember what the top slider is called)

edit: on my phone so autocorrect is having a party

Introducing Alfie Sheldon - a pink haired, grey eyed Nerd

Rk6yZgn9k76u5AyJ8
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rk6yZgn9k76u5AyJ8 - I still can't post images
    Working out influences two sliders: the thin -> fat one and the no muscles -> muscular one. This sim was pretty muscular to begin with (I just pulled that first slider all the way to the right, didn’t touch his muscles) but my point here was showing that working out does influence those sliders. What triggered me to test it was the statement (not yours, you just said you never noticed and I indeed can imagine you haven’t when it wasn’t something you really paid attention to): Sometimes I think I see them become slightly more muscular, but I think to myself at the time maybe I'm seeing what I want to see. Definitely though, not fatter or thinner. Not in Sims 3. They most definitely do get fatter or thinner, also in Sims 3, it’s not imagination ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I've checked my sims' sliders when they have done the "become more muscular" opportunity, and the sliders were indeed higher than when I made those sims. With your test sim, @JoAnne65, he will gain that weight back very quickly, unless he works out a lot every day. I've used the treadmill and even the body sculptor to thin down naturally overweight sims, and the weight is all right back within a day or two. It's a constant battle for them to stay slim, just like real life for a lot of people.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Sims definitely become more muscular. In a recent save where I barely controlled the sims with the exception of my SS my Jared sim, who is athletic, started off well built but not huge.
    37204576290_4fd2285f1a_o.jpg
    By the end of the save he had bulked up considerably because he exercised a lot when left to freewill.
    37368322200_beb29945fc_o.jpg
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I've checked my sims' sliders when they have done the "become more muscular" opportunity, and the sliders were indeed higher than when I made those sims. With your test sim, @JoAnne65, he will gain that weight back very quickly, unless he works out a lot every day. I've used the treadmill and even the body sculptor to thin down naturally overweight sims, and the weight is all right back within a day or two. It's a constant battle for them to stay slim, just like real life for a lot of people.
    Yes, it’s indeed realistic.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    @JoAnne65 @IreneSwift @Mikezumi

I guess that's what i'll be experimenting with on my next quick game session haha
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    @Lilypink79 I like Alfie's study. The vage description of the book cases included in the SP 'Townlife' was my only reason for buying that, and it is still the only SP I own. I hoped they would be able to recreate the 'studious buff' from the library, but on a residential lot, but now I know better. For the time being I just build lovely libraries instead with just the right amount of book cases.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Apparently, Sims 3 sims have a weight and fitness level they'll return to over time. I had a female sim who would start to get fat again even if you only fed her salads, and the only way to keep that from happening was to have her working out more time than was reasonable. I found this very annoying . . . until . . . I learned to adjust the weight and fitness levels they'll return to via MasterController. Cheating maybe, but I'm not above that when I think the game is being unreasonable. :D

Now, I'm off topic. Sorry. I spun @CravenLestat 's wheel and when I get a chance I'ma make a blue-haired, yellow-eyed supernatural sim. Right now, I don't need a quicky sims project because I'm in the middle of making some very hush hush holiday gifts. ;)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    suzses wrote: »
    Apparently, Sims 3 sims have a weight and fitness level they'll return to over time. I had a female sim who would start to get fat again even if you only fed her salads, and the only way to keep that from happening was to have her working out more time than was reasonable. I found this very annoying . . . until . . . I learned to adjust the weight and fitness levels they'll return to via MasterController. Cheating maybe, but I'm not above that when I think the game is being unreasonable. :D

Now, I'm off topic. Sorry. I spun @CravenLestat 's wheel and when I get a chance I'ma make a blue-haired, yellow-eyed supernatural sim. Right now, I don't need a quicky sims project because I'm in the middle of making some very hush hush holiday gifts. ;)
    To be honest I often gave my chubby sim also the occasional slider pull in CAS (using testingcheats) when I didn’t have time for him to work out. I was wondering if doing that through Mastercontroller maybe would be more permanent, but I guess not then.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    If you change the weight with Master Controller, their weight will revert back to their genetic weight. The only way to change it permanently is in CAS.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    edited November 2018
    To be honest I often gave my chubby sim also the occasional slider pull in CAS (using testingcheats) when I didn’t have time for him to work out. I was wondering if doing that through Mastercontroller maybe would be more permanent, but I guess not then.

if you have MC, click on the sim, nraas, MC, Sim, Advanced, Edit in CAS. No testingcheats required.
    Post edited by DivinylsFan on
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2018
    If you change the weight with Master Controller, their weight will revert back to their genetic weight. The only way to change it permanently is in CAS.
    Sorry, that is not correct. Both the temporary values and the permanent genetic ones for each of Weight and Fitness can be reached by way of MasterController. Changing the underlying genetic ones takes an extra couple of clicks, but I do it all the time. Usually minor adjustments, those for which I'd rather not bring a sim back into CAS or where I just want to fiddle around with the two values rather than have a slider to work with.

Checkbox twice to change the temporary values, these are the same ones affected by overeating and cardio exercise.

Checkbox once but then hit the "X "to change the permanent genetic values. This is not entirely intuitive and takes a little getting used to, the action is all in the wrist. ;)

In-game, without cheats and mods, there are very few ways to reach and change the genetic values. I always thought the Body Sculptor was one. Another involves surgery at the hospital.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    What I sometimes do is what @igazor said, and the change is definitely permanent. If I remember correctly, even Body Sculptor didn't really solve my sim's weight problem, and if we're talking about taking a sim into CAS via testingcheatsenabled, that certainly didn't work. I'm sure saving to bin and adjusting in CAS would though.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Changes with the body sculptor aren't permanent. I had a sim using it long ago, and she had to go back into it every day or two to keep her weight down.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    So, to conclude, most of the times a genetic change would be an idea for a quick game session :smile:

Here is another: create community lots for your long-going savegame, in a new save and save them to library to use whenever you feel like it.

I for one would like to see a blue-haired, yellow-eyed supernatural.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    So, to conclude, most of the times a genetic change would be an idea for a quick game session :smile:

Here is another: create community lots for your long-going savegame, in a new save and save them to library to use whenever you feel like it.

Yeah :smile: it's kind of a makeover, as suggested, and sometimes I do that too.
    As for the building - I like that very much too. sometimes the buildings that I really want to create are taking more than 2 hours, or I need several game sessions to finish them. the more simple builds can also be fun but I try to not overload my library, which is already overloaded... :grimace:
    But anyway both ideas are good, since they do not require any continuity so they are good for busy times. :smile:
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

Yeah :smile: it's kind of a makeover, as suggested, and sometimes I do that too.
    As for the building - I like that very much too. sometimes the buildings that I really want to create are taking more than 2 hours, or I need several game sessions to finish them. the more simple builds can also be fun but I try to not overload my library, which is already overloaded... :grimace:
    But anyway both ideas are good, since they do not require any continuity so they are good for busy times. :smile:

Whenever I have lots that I want to save but do not want to fill up my library I share them without uploading them. Sharing sims, households or lots places them in the Sims 3 export folder in Sims3pack form. After these things have been placed in the export folder I delete them from the library. And after I make a copy of them from the export folder onto my archived Sims 3 things on the D drive I delete them from the export folder. When I decide I want to use one of these saved things I place a copy of its Sims3pack file into the Sims 3 download folder and install it via the launcher. I learned the hard way to use an organized, descriptive name for these shared/saved Sims3pack files. :)
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I recenty did the 7 toddler challenge by @TreyNutz - not exactly something something for one gaming session but it took only about a week of 1-2 hours per session. You can also leave it for a while without losing the overview, I guess. It certainly took my thoughts off my legacy which was getting kinda boring.
    Something even shorter could be remodeling houses and lots, I often get rid of things that lead to routing failures and add cribs, toys for children and feed bowls for pets and stuff.

Also, I tried @CravenLestat ´s wheel: red hair, green eyes, goth sim.
    Screenshot-3243.jpg
    So, I started with this.
    Screenshot-3248.jpg
    I did my best.
    Screenshot-3246.jpg
    Everyday.
    Screenshot-3245.jpg
    Outerwear.
    Screenshot-3249.jpg
    Formalwear.
    Screenshot-3244.jpg
    Sleepwear. (Because she likes to take off all her make-up and be a softie at night. I should give her bunny slippers.)
    I like her already.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    I had a little time last night but not enough for a full simming session so I decided to make hair colours. It will make getting townies ready for new saves easier to have more colours saved since I never use EA preset colours. I started on some reds.
    32235553648_2939a9bbe9_o.jpg
    45382850374_9dae546d58_o.jpg
    32235552988_5b51d54b09_o.jpg
  • Options
    After I finished my usual simming session I still had some spare time so I did more hair colours :)
    They're still in the red family although the first doesn't look as red as the others but it's meant to be a dark auburn.
    46060389932_92106ae848_o.jpg
    Dark red
    32239061518_8e96e24b26_o.jpg
    A really fiery ginger! :D
    46110248641_2062e75be0_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018

if you have MC, click on the sim, nraas, MC, Sim, Advanced, Edit in CAS. No testingcheats required.
    Thanks, yes, that’s what I do nowadays, with the great advantage their age won’t get messed up. But I was wondering if using MC means the new posture will stay or not? Using testingcheats it doesn’t, the sim will slowly return to their original shape.

ETA: Oh, shoot, and only then did I see your post, Igazor ;)
    igazor wrote: »
    Sorry, that is not correct. Both the temporary values and the permanent genetic ones for each of Weight and Fitness can be reached by way of MasterController. Changing the underlying genetic ones takes an extra couple of clicks, but I do it all the time. Usually minor adjustments, those for which I'd rather not bring a sim back into CAS or where I just want to fiddle around with the two values rather than have a slider to work with.

Checkbox twice to change the temporary values, these are the same ones affected by overeating and cardio exercise.

Checkbox once but then hit the "X "to change the permanent genetic values. This is not entirely intuitive and takes a little getting used to, the action is all in the wrist. ;)

In-game, without cheats and mods, there are very few ways to reach and change the genetic values. I always thought the Body Sculptor was one. Another involves surgery at the hospital.

I don’t think I quite follow what to do exactly if I’d like to make a permanent change...?

The body sculptor for me at least was completely unreliable. In the way that the result was in no way what I was aiming for. Had a good laugh using it but that was it ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited November 2018
    @JoAnne65 If you click NRaas > (sim) > Intermediate > Fitness, a number comes up that represents the sim's temporary "fitness" on a scale from zero to either one or 100 (I don't remember, since it's been so long since I used it). If you X out, you're just viewing the number, and there are no underlying effects. If you press the check mark, with or without changing the number, a second box comes up. If you press check again, you've just changed the temporary fitness value of the sim (or left it the same, if you didn't enter a new number). If you press X, you've changed the sim's genetic fitness value to whatever the number was.

So if you're tinkering with a sim's weight the usual in-game ways and decide it's right where you want it, don't change the number that MC shows you—just press check the first time and X the second, and the sim will keep that genetic weight.

Also, I think you need MC Cheats to do this, but I've had the add-on for long enough not to remember that, either.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Thanks! Yes, I do have MC Cheats.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 Just adding on, the Fitness option deals with muscle size, and Weight with, well, weight (thinness, fatness).
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread