Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any CAS Lovers out there?

I don't exactly know what they're called, but as I've learned it's a specific type of Simmer who mainly dwells in CAS and rarely does anything else in the game. Lately, I've described myself as this simply because that over my time spent playing, I've spent my time more and more in CAS picking out that perfect outfit on a Sim rather than actually using that Sim to play with half the time. I can spend 1-3 hrs on a single Sim alone imparting the finest details on them, and creating Sims with specific themes to them, or creating a Sim just around the clothing I like! I even have a Sim queue for what Sims I want to make lol! Sometimes, I'll even buy a pack solely for the clothes alone (that's one of the only reasons I even bothered buying Laundry Day at all).

So basically, I live in CAS, and it seems there's not that many around this forum who share my passion with CAS; is there anyone out there that shares my CAS interests? :smiley:
Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png

Comments

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    When I am in the mood to just play in CAS I do really enjoy it thinking about it a lot of sims I have uploaded have never really been played or used as background sims. They only exist because I thought of them on a CAS day not quite the same but it is fun to make new sims and enjoy all the new clothes in each new pack. I should make more sims I keep noticing items I don't really use regularly.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,462 Member
    I do, actually!

I know what you mean about spending more time in CAS than live mode. I love Sims 4's CAS to pieces, especially with CC. I think part of the reason I take so long in it is because of all the clothing categories. I never fill all five slots for each, maybe with just one family because I'd never get out of there, but it still seems to take me all night to select the right outfits for just one Sim, lol.

And don't even get me started on the cats and dogs... :D
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I would say I spend 40 to 50% of my play time in CAS. I love picking all the little details and downloading themed cc.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    CAS is honestly my best friend. Until it comes to designing male sims like WHY IS IT DIFFICULT FOR ME?? Probably because I’m female.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    There's times where I'll just start making sims in CAS or just giving townies some decent makeovers for clothing choices and hair. Can be in CAS for two to three hours alone honestly.

When I'm not stuck in CAS I'm playing the game or redoing neighborhoods with a new look for new venues.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,462 Member
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    CAS is honestly my best friend. Until it comes to designing male sims like WHY IS IT DIFFICULT FOR ME?? Probably because I’m female.

Me too! I don't know what it is, but I'm never satisfied with my male Sims and I feel like it takes twice as long to make them than the females. What's up with that? :D
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

I'm the same way with you, but the very opposite! I find it difficult to create female sims, but find it too easy to make a male sim. When I want to make female sims, I have to take a lot of time to ensure they look the very best, since I have little experience in making them.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Me too! Although I like to de-age my Sims and age them up to Elder to see what they look like. Then I give 'em outfits for those ages. I also like to split my Sims into different aspects of their personality because the three trait system is restrictive garbage.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Around 80% of my playtime is probably in CAS if not more. I hate picking outfits though. I just like making sims.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I definitely spend more time in CAS than in the game.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I think I'll make another eight pack I have done this a couple times one with guys and one with girls I'll keep in mind to use more stuff I don't use darn cas habits lol. I think I'll do guys again.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »

Me too! I don't know what it is, but I'm never satisfied with my male Sims and I feel like it takes twice as long to make them than the females. What's up with that? :D

In my opinion, it's much easier to make female Sims because there's more clothing and hair options. Makeup doesn't hurt either.
  • Options
    astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    I love CAS! Actually, I love any type of creating in Sims, whether it's building or CAS, but yes I get what you mean about spending about half the time in CAS. Honestly, the main reason I buy any packs is for new build and CAS items it comes with. It's the first thing I look at, ahead of any new gameplay. Of course there are times when the gameplay is priority, but if not then new items! :D

I'm like you, I have a list of sims I want to make and have little bits of paper on my computer with ideas for what I want to do with them. However, I don't usually base it around outfits. Instead I make the sim and see what kind of outfits suit their personality. My favourite bit is playing with the sliders and making all types of new faces. There are so many ways you can manipulate it and just when you think you know every in and out, you find something new. Male, female, it's all fun. I think this might be what I spend the longest on.

When I do start on their outfits though, I slightly colour-code that sim. What I mean by slightly, is that I'll choose 2-4 colours that that sim will like to wear, so most of their outfits will be in those few colours. I think that's how most people are in real life, don't you think? When you look in your wardrobe, you'll see a few colours that you tend to repeat.

I do wish there were three more sliders on the face though. They need to separate the cheek one to be one for the upper part of the cheek which is the cheekbone and one for the fleshy, lower part of the cheek. Right now it really just controls the cheekbone. Another one for the upper lip on the mouth to control the thickness of edges when you "squeeze" the lip in to change the shape of the cupid's bow, I'm not really sure how to describe it in words. The third one is to change the thickness of the eyebrows. There are a lot of great presets to choose from, but sometimes I would like to change the thickness of a certain shape, to better fit the face of a certain sim. You can change the arch, angle, length, distance from eyes, but that's one thing I'm missing. You can't change the thickness without going to another preset and they might not have the texture/shape you want. I also want a few more hair and eye colours (specifically a very light brown, like amber/honey and a steely grey), it was so good when the new skintones came out. Otherwise, it's all great! I don't really have many complaints.

For everyone who's having trouble with males, why not try some inspiration from pictures of male faces you like? Either celebrities or people you know IRL. Sometimes just trying to copy a face a little gives me ideas for new things I can do, even if I don't end up copying it. It's a good starting point.

I just realized this ran very long, so I'll stop here because I could say so much more! :sweat_smile: I'm glad to see CAS getting some love though.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    One time, I actually succeeded in making a vampire male Sim that I liked, the problem was is that I was a bit too good at making him! The face was just too attractive and the voice was definitely too perfect, like I could not stop listening to him growling. I feel really embarrassed for having a crush on somebody I made in CAS and I feel like something's kinda wrong with me. :D
  • Options
    One time, I actually succeeded in making a vampire male Sim that I liked, the problem was is that I was a bit too good at making him! The face was just too attractive and the voice was definitely too perfect, like I could not stop listening to him growling. I feel really embarrassed for having a crush on somebody I made in CAS and I feel like something's kinda wrong with me. :D

Don't feel embarrassed! I feel this way with a lot of my male Sims; sometimes I can't help but just fall in love with them! Great examples:
    g1By0Kp.png

HDLyxMu.png

9BUuonw.png

zxplqCt.png

eKi7UhQ.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I unfortunately have a lot of trouble creating Sims with skin colors other than Caucasian. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get Sims with darker or lighter skin to look the way I want! I'm also afraid that I'll end up portraying them in not the best light so there's that too. I swear I'm not racist! :s
  • Options
    I unfortunately have a lot of trouble creating Sims with skin colors other than Caucasian. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get Sims with darker or lighter skin to look the way I want! I'm also afraid that I'll end up portraying them in not the best light so there's that too. I swear I'm not racist! :s

That's also understandable; I'm not jumping to any conclusions on your race specifically, but we as people tend to create people based around what we understand the best, and usually Caucasian simmers would most likely create Caucasian sims because it's what is easiest.

For me though, I'm Asian but have difficulty creating Asian sims for some reason; probably in many ways I believe it's awful when I make one and it doesn't look right to me and want to redo them again and again, because in my mind I want to do sims of my racial background justice in CAS and not make them look like racist caricatures. :)
  • Options
    I unfortunately have a lot of trouble creating Sims with skin colors other than Caucasian. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get Sims with darker or lighter skin to look the way I want!

I think it's normal to find it easiest to make sims of the ethnicity that you're most surrounded with. Try what I suggested and find pictures of people of different ethnicities that you like and copy them. They don't have to turn out perfectly, but you start to see what works and what doesn't. When I noticed I was using too much of the same, this helped me. It made CAS even more interesting. Also, your story about the vampire sim reminds me of the myth of Pygmalion heh heh :blush: nothing to be embarrassed about :wink:
  • Options
    edited November 2018

That's also understandable; I'm not jumping to any conclusions on your race specifically, but we as people tend to create people based around what we understand the best, and usually Caucasian simmers would most likely create Caucasian sims because it's what is easiest.

For me though, I'm Asian but have difficulty creating Asian sims for some reason; probably in many ways I believe it's awful when I make one and it doesn't look right to me and want to redo them again and again, because in my mind I want to do sims of my racial background justice in CAS and not make them look like racist caricatures. :)

Thank you for being kind and understanding about my quirky CAS habits! Yes, I am Caucasian and I think that sums up nicely the reasons for that. Also, child Sims are hard to make because of the lack of CAS items in there. Granted, I don't have Kids Stuff and Parenthood, but I rarely play children anyway because it's just not as satisfying to me.
  • Options
    I'm Asian but have difficulty creating Asian sims for some reason

Are you surrounded by a lot of Asians where you live? If you aren't that might be why. I find it's more to do with the ethnicity you're surrounded by, rather than what your own one is. Of course that isn't true for everyone, but an observation on my part.

• Options
    purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    I do spend a lot of time playing the game but when I create a new household I can be in CAS for hours perfecting every little detail. I find it very therapeutic.
  • Options
    astera00 wrote: »
    I'm Asian but have difficulty creating Asian sims for some reason

Are you surrounded by a lot of Asians where you live? If you aren't that might be why. I find it's more to do with the ethnicity you're surrounded by, rather than what your own one is. Of course that isn't true for everyone, but an observation on my part.

Yeah, I realised that after your post that I was raised surrounded by Caucasian people most of my childhood, with only my mother as the only one like me I had. Later on down my life there were more ethnic people around me but still not as many Asians as I would've liked, so it's most likely based around the environment of the people I've lived with then. But I can make some great Caucasian and Latinx Sims!
  • Options
    I also like to make my friends in CAS but I give them different names because I don't think they would be comfortable with that if I used their names.
  • Options
    I do spend a lot of time playing the game but when I create a new household I can be in CAS for hours perfecting every little detail. I find it very therapeutic.

It can be very therapeutic I agree; plus it's one of the few areas gurus don't manage to bug out lol; but I'd be totally stressed out if CAS bugs appeared, like that one time the bowler hat was removed from use by male sims, or the missing Parenthood PJ pants that didn't make a return until 3 months after...
  • Options
    I try to find outfits that match the personality of the Sims I'm making. For example, I put the dragon-scaled pants on my Sim Alexa because she's a vampire and she's totally comfortable with being a hideous creature.