Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Deleted the Imaginary Friend

I have always played with the Imaginary Friend, and had my sims marry their IF, but this time around I did do not want that.
So I learned how to delete the IF.
For those of you who do not know this is how.
Put the IF on the floor
do tiestingcheatsenabled ture
go to build mode
then hold down the shift key and click on the IF I am not sire if it was the Shift key and the Ctrl both but try both
it will come up to delete. It works as I have deleted them twice.

Comments

• Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    I have always played with the Imaginary Friend, and had my sims marry their IF, but this time around I did do not want that.
    So I learned how to delete the IF.
    For those of you who do not know this is how.
    Put the IF on the floor
    do tiestingcheatsenabled ture
    go to build mode
    then hold down the shift key and click on the IF I am not sire if it was the Shift key and the Ctrl both but try both
    it will come up to delete. It works as I have deleted them twice.

That can cause things to go wrong with your game. I think it causes glitches to happen.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    That does work but like the above poster said, it can cause glitches.

Evil beings, those IF’s are :angry:

What I do as a workaround is I place any IF’s on the ground in the house that my sims live in so that way they aren’t in any inventories. Then, I move the family out of the house and move them into a new one. No more IF’s.

Although the game does sometimes give them back to the kids again, as has recently happened in my save :s
    tumblr_ph86udy3Kd1xq9hdmo3_r1_540.jpg

tumblr_ph86udy3Kd1xq9hdmo4_r1_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_ph86tpCL8c1vhkp6x_540.gif

Edited to add: Trying to kill the imaginary friend with meteors doesn’t work. Tried it three times but nothing. Dangit. All it did was burn up half the lot and a bunch of ‘You should be more careful next time’ from the firefighters :D
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I haven't seen any glitches as yet, If so I will have to start my family over. hope not
  • Options
    I haven't seen any glitches as yet, If so I will have to start my family over. hope not
    Idk exactly what types of glitches will happen, as I’m not as smart with that stuff as the others on here are. Lol. I imagine someone much more knowledgeable on the subject will be able to. *cough* @igazor *cough cough* :p
  • Options
    Amphora wrote: »
    That does work but like the above poster said, it can cause glitches.

Evil beings, those IF’s are :angry:

What I do as a workaround is I place any IF’s on the ground in the house that my sims live in so that way they aren’t in any inventories. Then, I move the family out of the house and move them into a new one. No more IF’s.

Although the game does sometimes give them back to the kids again, as has recently happened in my save :s
    tumblr_ph86udy3Kd1xq9hdmo3_r1_540.jpg

tumblr_ph86udy3Kd1xq9hdmo4_r1_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_ph86tpCL8c1vhkp6x_540.gif

Edited to add: Trying to kill the imaginary friend with meteors doesn’t work. Tried it three times but nothing. Dangit. All it did was burn up half the lot and a bunch of ‘You should be more careful next time’ from the firefighters :D

@Amphora can you delete the house after and the IF will be gone, and then put another house in its place. because I am very picky where I place my Sims house. So If I could move them delete the house and then put the same kind of house back would that work
  • Options
    edited November 2018

@Amphora can you delete the house after and the IF will be gone, and then put another house in its place. because I am very picky where I place my Sims house. So If I could move them delete the house and then put the same kind of house back would that work

Yep the IF usually disappears when you delete the house so placing another one there would be no problem
    Post edited by Amphora on
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I think that until the IF becomes alive, it's just a toy like the teddy bear. Any time I see them, I always delete them with the NRaas Master Controllers object stats option. I've never had any problems from doing that, even in very long term saves.
  • Options
    JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    If you have some nraas mods, there are settings to disable the chance of getting them. What I do with them if I forget to change the settings is, just make a small room and put the IF in there. Under the stairs works perfect :D
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited November 2018
    IFs are safe to object-delete only until, as @IreneSwift mentioned, they've animated for the first time. Then they become sims, not just objects, and deleting them will cause the same game corruption as happens when you delete a typical sim. Specifically, the sims' data remains in the save, and the game can later try to use them for some task, causing potentially game-breaking issues.

If an IF has become animated, an NRaas MasterController Total Annihilation will remove the sim data, and then the doll can be deleted.

Edit to add: NRaas Retuner is the mod that can adjust the chance of a baby receiving an imaginary friend in the first place.
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    Edit to add: NRaas Retuner is the mod that can adjust the chance of a baby receiving an imaginary friend in the first place.

Omg, thank you! I don't have much experience with IFs yet since I, so far, haven't really had my sims have any babies yet. That is really good to know.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I downloaded a mod from MTS to get rid of those awful things. I didn't mind them in the beginning, but when the IF began watching my children on the toilet and in the bath, it creeped me out to no end. Now they're banned in my game.
    I didn't know retuner could do that.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited November 2018
    Pary wrote: »
    ...but when the IF began watching my children on the toilet and in the bath, it creeped me out to no end. Now they're banned in my game.
    I tend to "lock the door" to the bathroom to anyone other than sims that are "human". Keeps the imaginary friend out. I haven't had one materialize in the bathroom yet. If they do, then they're dead meat.
    51Z3HVzftHL._SY445_.jpg
    Imaginary friends of any type give me the creeps.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited November 2018
    Ewwwww :D There's a movie?
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Yeah, evidently, it's interesting what sort of stuff Google can dig up. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Your sim kid can also gift them to other kids I believe? Quite sure I did that once... Deleting them can indeed cause problems, as does deleting any sim in your game using testingcheats. Hope you’re lucky Evalen, it doesn’t always happen. It’s just a risk.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    well I wanted to be sure I would not have any trouble with my game so I had a save when MaryAnn was pregnant so I went back to start over, she had the baby the next day, If I had known, you cannot move out and leave the IF home if it is a toddler or infant, so I had to wait until he made it to a child and then moved and left the IF behind. I do like the IF and usually have them marry my Sim, but it seemed my child could not do much as he always had to play with the IF in order for it to grow with him. I wanted him to be free and go out more and do things. And meet other kids to play with and not only the IF. Well the IF is now gone. My sims always seem to get a IF with each birth. Yes you can gift them. I think I did that once. Well it will be awhile before Billy marries and have a child. Until then. Not sure how I will handle it then. I do wish we could turn that off. I do not do mods,
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Always better safe than sorry, good thing you were able to return to a previous safe. What I do when I don’t want my toddlers and kids to play with the IF all the time, is sticking it into the inventory of one of the parents.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Always better safe than sorry, good thing you were able to return to a previous safe. What I do when I don’t want my toddlers and kids to play with the IF all the time, is sticking it into the inventory of one of the parents.
    @JoAnne65
    great, good Idea, I'll try that next time and then either move out without the IF or giveaway when my sim becomes a child
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    My current household has 2 sons, each got an IF. I just traded them, so they can play with them to their hearts content, but they'll never be a real boy >:)
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I love them, they are creepy lovable. All my families with kids have them but I never make them real. With the help of Mr. Nasty from the Science Centre they are planning to take over the town.
  • Options
    I love them, they are creepy lovable. All my families with kids have them but I never make them real. With the help of Mr. Nasty from the Science Centre they are planning to take over the town.

@nickibitsward That is so funny, I too love them, but I always made my sims marry their IF, so this time I am trying not too. Love your little saying about Mr. Nasty, had a good laugh. by the way, when they turned real, they were very pretty, I did have to change their clothes, but that is true even when the sims aged up. Not sure who dresses them, but wow, they are always crazy, like slippers with a bathing suit.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited November 2018
    My understanding is if you get the IF and delete BEFORE it's activated at all (starts to develop a life), it's OK to do then. So when it comes out of the mailbox and goes wherever it goes then - LOL - to the crib in the baby's inventory? - you can delete it. But, if the child has started to play with it already, it is then a "sim," and you will corrupt your game if you delete it like you would if you delete any sim.

I find IF's kind of creepy and annoying, so over time, I've tried all sorts of things to rid my games of them. Most of them don't really work all that well or all the time. At one point, any household I had where they were going to have kids, I'd get the no bills lifetime reward first and just never pick up the mail again until the kids turned to teens. If they moved, though, the IF's always managed to get out of that mailbox and go along.

In my case, moving them to an adult's inventory only works part of the time. They find a way back out of there periodically. I suspect Overwatch and/or Error Trap might be complicit in causing that to happen, but I'm not sure.

Here's a picture that will melt the heart of even a die-hard IF-ist like me. I can't exactly remember what this IF's situation was (he wasn't still in the mailbox so must have been locked up somewhere else), but when the family moved, this is what I found one day outside the gate to their old property:

30779499137_6bd66355dd_b.jpgAbandonedIF

(Actually, I found him out there at night. I just brightened up the picture so you can actually see things.)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    suzses wrote: »
    My understanding is if you get the IF and delete BEFORE it's activated at all (starts to develop a life), it's OK to do then. So when it comes out of the mailbox and goes wherever it goes then - LOL - to the crib in the baby's inventory? - you can delete it. But, if the child has started to play with it already, it is then a "sim," and you will corrupt your game if you delete it like you would if you delete any sim.

I find IF's kind of creepy and annoying, so over time, I've tried all sorts of things to rid my games of them. Most of them don't really work all that well or all the time. At one point, any household I had where they were going to have kids, I'd get the no bills lifetime reward first and just never pick up the mail again until the kids turned to teens. If they moved, though, the IF's always managed to get out of that mailbox and go along.

In my case, moving them to an adult's inventory only works part of the time. They find a way back out of there periodically. I suspect Overwatch and/or Error Trap might be complicit in causing that to happen, but I'm not sure.

Here's a picture that will melt the heart of even a die-hard IF-ist like me. I can't exactly remember what this IF's situation was (he wasn't still in the mailbox so must have been locked up somewhere else), but when the family moved, this is what I found one day outside the gate to their old property:

30779499137_6bd66355dd_b.jpgAbandonedIF

(Actually, I found him out there at night. I just brightened up the picture so you can actually see things.)

Aw, how could you! The poor thing.

• Options

@nickibitsward That is so funny, I too love them, but I always made my sims marry their IF, so this time I am trying not too. Love your little saying about Mr. Nasty, had a good laugh. by the way, when they turned real, they were very pretty, I did have to change their clothes, but that is true even when the sims aged up. Not sure who dresses them, but wow, they are always crazy, like slippers with a bathing suit.

My elder Sim, Mr. Nasty, is the mad scientist at the Science Centre in town, lol.

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member

Aw, how could you! The poor thing.

I know! I feel bad about it even now, years later. LOL

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread