Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Clanbuilding for Dummies: now with the last two chapters!

Comments

• Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited May 2019
    Wow, Max was a jer.k even as a kid, huh? (I never play premades, unless one of them marries/dates my Sims.) Lily looked good in Dark Form, but she's a still a bi***. Wondering what's going to happen next with Alex and Johnny.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'm calling it,
    I think that the landgraabs are going back(?)
    Hehe.

Great stuff!

Just a little bit of criticism (sorry), I kind of don't like how some of those text are too close to the edge making it harder to read, or it's probably just my pet peeves, hehe. Also sometimes, I'm confused on which bubbles to read first since sometimes they're parallel to each other. That's why when making comic I always took zoom out pics so I could make the bubble flow better by arranging them in an orderly matter from top to bottom and making it flow.

Not trying to say that it's bad, your story is really good and I can't wait to read more. :p

I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    @NyteRose Max is always that in my game hehe.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @AkramA Don't apologize for criticism. It's the only way writers ever get better. Unless someone's just being mean (and I've dealt with those people before--mostly by ignoring them), I'm appreciative of all feedback, positive and negative.

To be honest, I have no idea what's going on with Pixelmator. The text will be centered nicely in a bubble in the program, I export it to a .jpg, and the text has shifted. And I usually cut these things so close to deadline that I don't leave myself enough time to fix them. I would love to go back and clean everything up.

I see what you mean about the speaking order in some of the panels. On occasion, I do want to show two characters talking at once (like Alex and Max do in this latest chapter), but I'm not sure visually how to represent that without it just looking vague about who's speaking in what order.

I appreciate the suggestion to pull the camera back a bit. That would probably help a lot.

I'm glad the writing is holding up. I hope some practice and re-editing will help get the images up to par. :)

@NyteRose Yeah, I figure if kids only have one trait, and his trait is Evil, he's probably a pretty awful kid, even to his friends. Luckily Jade and Alex more or less keep him in line. For now. ;)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    The plot thickens this week with a creepy Mother's Day special as Johnny Zest explores his parents' home:
    http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/05/13/echoes-may-simfic-challenge/

(Also entered in the SimFic Monthly Challenge.)

Thanks for reading!
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    LilyParkerLilyParker Posts: 1,144 Member
    The plot thickens this week with a creepy Mother's Day special as Johnny Zest explores his parents' home:
    http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/05/13/echoes-may-simfic-challenge/

(Also entered in the SimFic Monthly Challenge.)

Thanks for reading!
    OMG ... This was SO good! Awesome plot and so well written. Kudos to you, @katrinasforest!
    Currently blogging about The Island Challenge on Lily Parker's Sims Challenges (WordPress).
    Abandoned Kids Challenge
    and Toddler Mania Challenge stories are complete.
  • Options
    That was creepy and well-written. :)
  • Options
    @LilyParker @NyteRose Thank you so much for your comments, and I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. I'm hard at work so I can post the next one on time this Friday.

A certain pre-made Sim will be making her first appearance. ;)
  • Options
    @katrinasforest Bella Goth? ;)
  • Options
    @NyteRose Maaaaybe. ^_^
  • Options
    I realize my statement was only half accurate. There are actually two pre-mades who make their first appearance in this chapter. But, yes, Bella Goth is one of them. (Not a spoiler. She's literally in the first panel.)

http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/05/24/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-14/

Elliot doesn't get too much time in this chapter, but I wanted to check in with Miss H, and of course, Vlad. He'll be back for the next one.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Hi, everyone!

Whenever I make this comic, I always get (as I'm sure all SimFic writers do) some wacky, random shots that don't fit but I can't resist capturing anyway. This week I'd like to share a few of those:

First, we have Miss H attempting to use her vampire powers on an empty wall. Caleb and Allie are not impressed:
    MissHSpellsNoOne.jpg

Next, Johnny Zest wonders why there are suddenly two new kids in his household. He didn't put them there, that's for sure:
    JohnnyWhyKids.jpg

Miss H, now in vampire form, also snuck onto the set of Chef Hamster and appears to be asking a random kid for money:
    MissHonSet.jpg
    The kid is understandably concerned.

This next one wasn't humorous so much as interesting. This is what the game originally auto-generated for Lily's vampire form:
    LilysAutoVampire.jpg

I ended up wanting more color to her look, but it actually was pretty nice.

And finally, we have... hmm... that's strange. I wonder what this pic is for...
    Sixam.jpg

Could this be related to an entirely new story?

...okay, yes. Yes, it is.

No worries, I will not be alternating Clanbuilding with My Best Friend Runs Venus. (It's already alternating with my Korra fic.) But I did want to share the first chapter, since the book is out today. Thanks for the support! :)
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    I love your out-take shots!
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow Thanks so much! I'm sure there will be more as I take the screenshots for future chapters. ^_^
  • Options
    Chapter 15 is now up: http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/06/14/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-15/

Hope everyone enjoys it! Elliot has some uncomfortable conversations with ghosts, and Jade has a really uncomfortable conversation with her dad.

Basically, uncomfortable conversations all around. ;)
  • Options
    Yay! Another chapter! I really enjoy this story. :heart:

Loved all the uncomfortable conversations. And I like Max. :naughty:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @GlacierSnow I'm glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, Max is fun to write. He's a pain in the neck, for sure, but he also has those moments when he realizes he's in way over his head. Most of the other characters know it's fine to just ignore his antics. Now if only Elliot would figure that out. ^_^
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Max, the jer.k kid who grows up into a jer.k teenager. Calling it now.
    Good job with the rest of the chapter :)
  • Options
    @NyteRose Thank you! I'm hoping to get my piece for the SimLit Monthly Challenge up soon, though it won't be quite as relevant to the plot as previous challenge entries have been.

The next full chapter is actually done and will go up this Friday. (I'm never this ahead of schedule--it's like a miracle or something.)
  • Options
    Decided to just go ahead and post a day early because...why not? Here's chapter 16:
    http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/06/27/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-16/

Elliot and Miss H are both trying to figure out who is now the person of influence in Oasis Springs.

As for the SimFic monthly challenge, at the rate I'm going, next week might be a week of two short stories, one on the 31st and the other a few days later. ^_^;;
  • Options
    I love the Landgraab ghost conversation! :heart::joy:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow Thanks! Sometimes it's tricky to decide how the pre-mades are going to act. I hope I'm doing them all justice.
  • Options
    @katrinasforest Probably tricky because everyone has their own idea of who they are. But all the different interpretations are one of the things I'm enjoying about SimLit. I can definitely hold multiple universes in my head. :wink: And I'm really enjoying yours. Keep up the good work!
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow That's true. There's very few things in the Sims universe that are unchangeable canon. (These, IMHO, include: cowplants eat people, Bella wears red, and no one ever questions what the plumbobs are. ^_^ )

Just a quick re-post from the first page, but I have declared this week to be short story week. We have a story about a cat wedding and a story about a Sulani fairy whose magic works a little differently.

The cat one is definitely part of the Clanbuilding universe. But since I haven't worked Sulani into the overarching plot yet, I'm not sure about the second one. I hope you enjoy them both all the same.

There were a bunch of other great stories in June's SimFic challenge, so I strongly encourage you to read them all. :)
  • Options
    wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    @katrinasforest I just found your Clanbuilding for Dummies series and read it on your fanfiction site. It was quite entertaining. I really enjoyed reading it.