Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Placing Gems

Since my gem and ingot collection is slowly growing, I decided to display them after getting cut instead of keeping them in my sim's inventory forever. I placed them on a desk-like furniture inside the house but I'm wondering, if I invite other sims for a party, would they swipe the gems away as if they're collecting them, or just leave them be since they're placed inside a house and not outside? (referring to sims that aren't kleptos)

Because if there's a possibility, I'd love to get suggestions on where everyone displays their gems. I've read somewhere that there's a display case available with WA, but even though I have the expansion, I wasn't able to find it. So suggestions would be appreciated! (^O^)

Comments

• Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    The WA display cases are in the shelves section if I recall correctly. They are rather large and chunky though, I find. I prefer to stick all my gems on a coffee table or something, on the shelves you can move up and down the walls, or in the potion display cabinets that come with SN. I've never had another sim nick any of my sims gem collection before, though I can't vouch for the kelpto's :D
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    The only time visiting sims (non-klepto) will "accidentally" walk off with any of your possessions is if the object in question had some use, meaning some reason to be in the visitors' hands. So that could be books, soccer/footballs, laptops and tablets, unnamed baby dragons, your sims' toddlers (yikes!). But gems are, for this purpose, considered objects with no interactive usage attached so the guests should be keeping their grubby hands off of them. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SummerRoxySummerRoxy Posts: 93 Member
    @Pary
    Thanks! I looked up every item and found it! It's in sort by function>display>miscellaneous. Yeah, the WA one was quite big and the design was simple so in the end I picked a different display case! xD

@igazor
    Even children! Yikes! That's why I always monitor any guests of the house!
    For the gems, in the end I just placed the case in a room that's only open for the family members, just to be on the safe side. (^O^) Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I always use the wall shelves, you can get quite a few gems on those shelves. The display cases are nice but very Victorian looking and don't fit most of my houses and the other two-tier ones are too bulky. I also take most of the gems and make larger ones so I don't have so many.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited August 2018
    I place cut gems all the time as decorative accents / paperweights in my game. No one ever picks them up. They do seem to have value for environmental scoring, too. Here's a heart-shaped bloodstone on Donovan's writing desk, which his sweetie Dane cut for him. You can also place them on most sinks, like fancy soap. :) They will not be stolen.

DG4uibD.jpg

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I place cut gems all the time as decorative accents / paperweights in my game. No one ever picks them up. They do seem to have value for environmental scoring, too. Here's a heart-shaped bloodstone on Donovan's writing desk, which his sweetie Dane cut for him. You can also place them on most sinks, like fancy soap. :) They will not be stolen.
    Picturing the stereotypical housewife from a 1970s tv commercial.

"Oh, we don't use soap in our house. We've switched over to Tiberium™ Moisturizing Cleansing Bars and enjoy a healthy glow all day long!" :p
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @nickibitsward
    I'm kind of a newb, but what do you mean by making large ones? How do you do that? :o

@Sindocat
    Wow! That's a beautiful piece! Does that come from SN? Because I have it and I'd love to find a bloodstone someday!
    Indeed, gems seem to affect environment. My sims had max moodlet when the display case was placed in the living room but after I relocated it at a different room, they only have +10 now. :'( When I get duplicates of gems, I guess I'll scatter them around the house! xD
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    @nickibitsward
    I'm kind of a newb, but what do you mean by making large ones? How do you do that? :o

@Sindocat
    Wow! That's a beautiful piece! Does that come from SN? Because I have it and I'd love to find a bloodstone someday!
    Indeed, gems seem to affect environment. My sims had max moodlet when the display case was placed in the living room but after I relocated it at a different room, they only have +10 now. :'( When I get duplicates of gems, I guess I'll scatter them around the house! xD

Hi:

You need Carters Display case, the two-tier one. It holds 10 gems.

Click on the case for "activate irreversible transfiguration".

If you place 10 of all the same cut you should get one large one the same cut.

If you place random ones you will probably get the skull cut.

It also works with smelted metals.

I can't remember all the different cuts and what you need to place to get them. There is probably a list somewhere if you google it.

• Options
    @nickibitsward
    Oooh! That's great, gems won't clutter up the place even if you collect too many! Thanks for the info! (^O^)
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited August 2018
    @MagicalArtemis Transfiguration is an activity (not really a skill) that came with WA. You need to buy the Carter XL Display case, which is in sort by room/storage/displays, and then place eight objects on it. The process costs §500, and what you get in return can be a bit complicated. But the highlights are:
    • You can use cut gems, smelted metals, and certain other items like relics. But seeds are ineligible, as are magic gnomes (I've tried).
    • If you place only gems, and at least five different kinds, you get a soulpeace gem, worth (so far for me) §3,750 ±500. It can be cut the same way other gems are.
    • If you place only gems, and at least five different cuts, you get a skull cut of one of the gems. I've read that using at least five of one particular gem (though in different cuts) will guarantee that the skull cut is of that gem. Otherwise, your chance of getting each gem depends on how many of each you used in the process.
    • The value of the skull cut seems to depend only on the gem it's made of, not the value of the gems used to make it.
    • If you place metals, you can create larger ingots of the same metal, compendium, or supernovium, depending on what you use. I haven't done this yet, so I don't have much insight.
    • If you mix gems and metals, or add in another object like a relic, the result depends on how much the initial materials cost. You could get any number of items, but if the cost is between §3,500 and (I think) §5,000, you get a cut Tiberium. It will grow to a large spire cut, worth maybe §35,000-§45,000, in a day or two.
    Carl's Sims 3 guide has a more comprehensive walkthrough:
    https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/skills/collecting/worldadventures/transfiguration.php