Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you often dress your sims in clothes from the opposite gender?

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    No, I mostly give them clothes from their own gender category
    Never. It's just not my thing. The male clothes generally look bad on female bodies in the game and I'm not into males dressing as females.
  • Options
    fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    It depends (please comment)
    I'd love to dress female sims in guys clothes (I mostly play single female sims) but alas, they just don't fit right. One of my own guilty pleasures has always been stealing my boyfriends clothes. One more gripe I have is that we have exactly 1 pair of non skinny jeans for female sims, but the male jeans deform the knees.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Not really. The way the clothes deform doesn’t look right.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The sole exception is if I'm giving one of my lady sims (simette?) an outfit based on a certain lady magician named Zatanna. There is no female suit jacket that matches the look.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited August 2019
    I tried it when the feature first came out.
    I thought this outfit was really cool on her, but the mesh was a bit odd.
    Like it crumpled oddly because it was on a female body. It's really noticeable with the scarf.
    06-04-16_3-58-23nbspAM.png

I haven't bothered with it since.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Yes, I constantly remove the gender tag for more choices
    I turn the filter off frequently, not so much for clothes though. Mostly because a lot of the hairstyles and jewelry work well for both genders. I like to give my male Sims eyeliner too to kinda/sorta simulate eyelashes or at least help make their eyes 'pop' or rather, define them more. I will sometimes give males a lighter shade of beige/brown/black eye shadow for definition as well. As others have said, I do like some of the male Winter jackets for females and shorts swapped between both genders. My female Sims enjoy wearing some of the male sandal selections too.

I'd use male clothing for female Sims more if the mesh for them didn't morph out of proportion, same with female for male. Swapping gender tagged clothing doesn't work for the majority of the selections we have available. I had hopes it would be fixed at some point, but not so far. As a result, I use more for females than male. I tried it once for a Drag Queen I created, but it just looks... odd. I suppose I could pretend he stuffed a bra on purpose to create the illusion of breasts for his performance. *shrugs*

Anyway, I'm glad we got this update and use it a lot, I just wish it had been implemented a little better.

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Gender swapping hair clothes and accessories is actually one my favorite things to do in CAS. Except 9 out of 10 shirts look strange on the opposite gender so I can't use them.
    And of course it depends on the sim also. Every sim does not look good in everything. :D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Bold of you to assume any of my Sims acknowledge the gender binary ;D

But yeah, almost all of them. Clothes don't have genders; the overall 'look' is more what I go for. Like, Caleb Vatore has a red and black colour scheme, my main Jamie loves colours but leans towards purples and yellows, Johnny Zest is a goofball and usually dresses like it, stuff like that. Here are some of my lookbooks!

Caleb Vatore (bisexual trans man)
    Lilith Vatore (aromantic pansexual cis woman)
    Johnny Zest (gay cis man)
    Maaike Haas (soft butch lesbian cis woman)
    Ulrike Faust (femme lesbian trans woman; I think all of her clothing items are actually tagged 'feminine', but that's more her aesthetic)

And a couple of my own Sims, both nonbinary - Jamie Forrest is AFAB, Lucc Madden is AMAB. (Jamie, the Vatores, and Johnny are Sims I actively play, which is why they have a ton more outfits than Maaike, Ulrike, and Lucc).
  • Options
    MarioCoxMarioCox Posts: 15 New Member
    Some times the top look not so good.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    It depends on the Sims. I have a few trans and gender bender Sims, around 20 over all my saved games, that I turn off the filters for but I don't dress them in just anything. As mentioned above, some of the female tops look ridiculous on the male body and vice versa. But I have to say that Johnny Zest looks gorgeous in a dress.

But normally I just let gender filter stay.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    I use the option almost never for clothes. But I really like it for haircuts and accessories.
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Some of the female jeans and pants fit terribly on the girls so I sometimes use the male pants/jeans on them cause they look better.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I don’t think I have ever put a female shirt on a male but, there are several times I will put a woman in a males shirt, especially for bed time. And I sometimes will give a female a male hair. I’m not sure I have tried that with pants though. I will have to check that out.
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I would definitely do it more if the clothing didn't warp the sims body. I wish the clothing in TS4 would accommodate the body type instead of the body type reforming around the clothes and that goes for larger sims as well.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited August 2019
    I mostly use the gender tag just to find specific items. Like, if I want a Sim to wear heels, it's easier to look at only feminine shoes. But most of my Sims are often somewhat androgynous and don't care what gender an item was originally. There are exceptions, though. I have a few Sims who are clearly at one end of the gender spectrum (like my avatar). But I also have guys in skirts, women with male mullets, guys with eyelashes, girls in loafers, etc.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited August 2019
    I do it if it suits the character or the theme, and sometimes it's just nice to have extra options even though the fit isn't always great.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i'd love to but sometimes the meshes do a weird thing to their bodies so its a hit or miss. i love that they did the update, i just wish that some of the meshes would eventually be fixed for it, but they seem to be ignoring that.
  • Options
    SimSweetySimSweety Posts: 73 Member
    I do it mostly for hairstyles, I would do it more for clothes but they tend to look weird on the opposite sex :/
  • Options
    petewentospetewentos Posts: 90 Member
    I do it occasionally for some CAS items like rings and stuff but mostly, I remove the clothing preference tag to use the skin tight pants from the base game and the ripped jeans from the Holiday Celebration Pack for my male sims which I use quite often. I've also removed the tag a couple of times to access more hair options for my sims.
    giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d44708035316c432e5b02f0&rid=giphy.gif
    i just got so emo, i fell apart.
    origin id: petewentos
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    I'd like to do so more often but it's soooo awkward on their frames, especially male shirts on women.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Allllllllllllll the time. Mostly it's for mundane reasons -- I like to have more choices -- and sometimes I play crossdressers with outfits switching genders by the day. I frequently experiment with the clothes, one time doing a save where everyone wore knee-length skirts, and another time where everyone dressed as Star Wars characters at the gym. One of my favorite jokes is when I have a couple, to allow them to have one outfit in underwear that's of the opposite sex, so they're doing roleplay or whatever. It's really amusing to see huge jocks suddenly hop into bed wearing a teddy while their girlfriend is climbing in wearing full dude-pajamas.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    My female sims wear both for her bottoms & Jackets & sweaters.
    My male sims wears both for pants only
  • Options
    ClownlingClownling Posts: 18 Member
    I don't really mind the weird physics on them, and I love putting male sims into feminine clothes! They look definitely more attractive in them- Though I'll put female sims in men's clothes too, depending on the overall style. Especially for cold weather clothes, those gender tags are coming OFF- Neither has enough by themself!

I also very often have trans, nonbinary, or otherwise gender non-confirming sims. Having the freedom is fun for me!
    Clownin' Around
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited October 2019
    I freely raid the Ladies' Department for my male Sims, if I think a look works. Most tops have under-bosom shading, however, even if the super femme styles didn't make them unsuitable. It's least obtrusive on black tops, however, so if there is a style I like, I use it freely, if it suits the Sim. Here is a look put together almost entirely out of girl clothes - which is accurate for a lot of goth fashion as I knew it back when I was young, and mammoths walked the earth. Spooky-Boi Beej is in a feminine top, shorts and leggings, and some feminine jewelry as well. Not to mention the (rather restrained, really) eye shadow and eyeliner.

RXfYi8W.png

He's an extreme case, but I happily use those daisy dukes on any male Sim with a nice build and no shame. More typically, I'll raid the brocade pattern jeans to zhoosh up a look a notch, and finger rings for sorcerous types. I'll raid the occasional hairstyle, too, though most don't work for me. The messy bun does, and I was already using that long hairstyle the Practical Sage in RoM uses, on one of my Sims before RoM came out.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Have never removed the gender tag and have no desire to do so.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"