Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing Sims 2 on D drive

ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
Hello! Sorry if this has been asked but I did do a search and can't find an answer.

I have Sims 2 UC and would like to download and play it from the D drive of my computer. I know I'll have to install Origin briefly to do this. But how do I keep Origin from automatically installing the game on my C drive? And how do I get it to create the document file in the D drive and then recognize it for gameplay? Forgive me if this is ignorant. I'm basing it on how Sims 3 works. Can someone give me simple steps on how to do this?

Comments

• Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi, to do this you'll need to go to "Application Settings" in the Origin client (located in the sub menu on the top left, when you click on "Origin"), then clicking on "Installs & Saves" will bring up a menu that will let you choose where to install games. There you can choose D drive. After that, when you install Sims 2 it will be in D drive :)
    You can change it back to C drive whenever you'd like.

Also, last year EA made an update forcing everyone to log in to Origin whenever they want to play Sims 2. You don't need to be online to log in to Origin and can ignore any upcoming client updates, so it isn't too annoying, but because of this you'll have to keep Origin installed :/
  • Options
    @Brindleton Thank you! Okay I have two different things. One says 'Game Library Location' and the default is c:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games. The other is c:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache. If I make a Sims 2 folder and point everything towards that it will be recognized and playable?

And at the bottom is says 'Keep legacy game installers', which is turned off. I'm assuming Sims 2 is legacy?
  • Options
    A little bit more info, my D drive is just blank. It doesn't have a 'program files' folder to install too. Is this going to work ok? Sorry for being so computer illiterate.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited July 2018
    Origin shouldn't have an issue recognizing a folder to install the game in.
    Sims 2 is considered a legacy title as far as I know, since it's technically "retired" ever since they gave it for free. You can leave that option off though, it won't be that useful to turn it on.

You can create a folder called "Origin" or "Games" in the D drive and set it to install Sims 2 there.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Ok, I created a 'Games' folder on the D drive and installed UC there. It worked! I got the game booted up and everything is working!! There were a few issues which I'll google before I ask here.

The thing is the EA games file showed up on the C drive in my Documents folder. Is there a way to keep this on the D drive too?
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I don't think there is. I've had TS2 installed on my external drive and I've never been able to have the Documents TS2 folder anywhere else but where the game puts it.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Thanks @Pary
  • Options
    momshavingfunmomshavingfun Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Pary said:
    > I don't think there is. I've had TS2 installed on my external drive and I've never been able to have the Documents TS2 folder anywhere else but where the game puts it.

I moved My Documents to the D drive.
  • Options
    @momshavingfun Thanks for resurrecting this. I'd forgotten some things. At the time I got TS2 successfully installed on my D drive but Sims 2 documents folder was on my C drive. I did a total reset on my C drive, saving the EA Games file in My Documents, but it wiped Sims 2 from my computer though I still had all the installation on the D drive. I finally gave up having it on my desktop and just put it on a new laptop that had a big C drive.

So did you have to move your whole 'My Documents' to the D drive? I wouldn't want to have to do that because I have Sims 3 on my SSD which makes it run better.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi

I am going to jump in here to mention that when I had an extra SSD installed in my desktop and stuck windows 7 on there to play S3 discs I had just started playing S2 UC on my windows 10 hard drive and I mentioned to another 2 player at the time (who has sadly left the forums) I wished i could move S2 UC to my windows 7 hard drive as well so I would not have to use S2 discs if something went wrong with UC on windows 10 and she sent me a list of things to do and once I completed the instructions I can now play S2 UC on my win 7 hard drive without the needs for discs or an internet connection. I am happy to try and find the instructions again if anyone is interested in trying to follow this sort of workaround but if I have lost the instructions maybe someone can direct me what to check and we can go from there to figure it out again?
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 I'm definitely interested! If you can find them I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @ZeeGee

I will defo have a look for you just please give me a little time to go through 4 hard drives that have got every game iteration of stuff all over the place. I need to find it again in case something goes wrong anyway lol I will be back as soon as I can :)