Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 lags too much! Closed

AlexTheSims3FanAlexTheSims3Fan Posts: 39 Member
edited July 2018 in The Sims 2
Hi everybody! I know I'm not alone who has issues with playing The Sims 2 on a new computer. The game is too old for your new hardware and therefore you have issues like no smooth edges, only 800x600 resolution and a lot of lags.
I've tried these things:
1) 'Graphics RuleMaker'
2) https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/937319/graphics-fixing-tutorial
but they haven't helped me! What else can I do?

These are my PC's specs:
CPU: Intel Core Quad Q8400 2.6 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550 2 GB
RAM: 7 GB 1.3 GHz
Post edited by AlexTheSims3Fan on

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

Welcome to TS2 section. My game runs like butter on my Newest laptop...

Have you checked this section for the answers... they've been posted for ages. Just a little search and Poof! all the answers on the interwebs.

Here's one of them- https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/937319/graphics-fixing-tutorial
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    You need the graphics rule maker so the game can recoginize your video chip/card. You are right it is too old for new hardware it ended in 2008. The game thinks anything new (video card and processors) is not supported since they aren't in it's hardware supported white list. Tech term.

If the card isn't there (and it won't be) the game won't let you set the resolution or turn on smooth edges etc. It thinks it's plum.

But it may not be. The Graphics Rule Maker (follow all instructions) changes the Config files inside the program files so your card can be on the white list to allow it to be recognised and therefore to set your graphics and resolution etc. to the proper settings for your monitor etc.

It's really easy to run then you can change some stuff that needs to be changed. Come back if you have anymore questions.

https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Thanks for these answers!
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi everybody! I know I'm not alone who has issues with playing The Sims 2 on a new computer. The game is too old for your new hardware and therefore you have issues like no smooth edges, only 800x600 resolution and a lot of lags.
    I've tried these things:
    1) 'Graphics RuleMaker'
    2) https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/937319/graphics-fixing-tutorial
    but they haven't helped me! What else can I do?

These are my PC's specs:
    CPU: Intel Core Quad Q8400 2.6 GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550 2 GB
    RAM: 7 GB 1.3 GHz

If the graphic rules maker is not working there is a chance that your card is to new for that. You can double check and edit the files by hand. Instructions for that here: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212 I had to do this as well because graphic rules alone did not work for me.

Note I think the instructions give you the path for disks. You want to go to:

Drive you installed on -> Program files x 86 -> Origin games -> The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection -> Fun with pets -> SP9-> TSdata ->Res- >config. There you will find the Graphic rules and Video card files you need to look at and probably alter. All other alteration steps listed on that page work for the UC as well, just a different path.

Also note that because you ran the graphic rules maker, your video card should be listed at the bottom of the Radeon list for cards, it just might need to be tweaked a little. (make it match the style of the cards above it) for example I had to delete Nvidia from in front of the card name, because that is not how the cards were listed above it. Example:

Mine had the card listed like this after using graphic rules

card 0x03d1 "GeForce 6100 nForce 405"
    card 0x03d2 "GeForce 6100 nForce 400"
    card 0x1b1d "Riva 128"
    card 0x1c03 "Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"
    end

Last card is mine. I had to make it look like this.

card 0x03d1 "GeForce 6100 nForce 405"
    card 0x03d2 "GeForce 6100 nForce 400"
    card 0x1b1d "Riva 128"
    card 0x1c03 "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"
    end

Also make sure that after you alter the files, you copy them and put them in the CSConfig folder files as well. I would also make copies of the files that are in there and save them somewhere (or rename them, you can just add a .old at the end) first, just in case. Good luck let us know if you run into any issues. :)

Edit: Do you have dual cards? If so make sure the game is running on the correct card.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Hi! I've just tried Graphics Rule Maker and now the game just doesn't launch!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Well, now it launches but the ground is pink. Now it's fine I mean I've already repaired it.
  • Options
    Thank you! Now my game works really good!