Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kids can come trick or treating

Comments

• Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Well, if you have Spooky Stuff, you can edit every house in your neighborhood and add the spooky candy dish to a small table or pedestal. Then, dress you sim kids in costumes and go around to each house and take candy from the bowl, but beware the hand!

You'd still have to go through a loading screen for this though.

My main family in TS4 is in San Myshuno. It'd be great to go to other apartments in the building to trick or treat given you can already interact with them at their doors, but I have a feeling if you can't trick or treat anywhere else you can't do it in SM either. Which is a shame because it's probably the easiest place to do it, coding-wise.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I hated Trick or Treating in S3. Every time I sent those kids out, two things would always happen. #1. The game would change their costume to a random costume and #2. It always, always rained.

Not to mention that you had to look all over the open world to find a family that was at home, and it would be 11 pm by the time your kids got there. The one time that my kids did manage to go trick-or-treating, the people in the house had been turned into zombies. Great for a story, but not the trick-or-treat experience you want. It sounds like a great idea, but in practice, it just didn't work.

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited June 2018
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Well, if you have Spooky Stuff, you can edit every house in your neighborhood and add the spooky candy dish to a small table or pedestal. Then, dress you sim kids in costumes and go around to each house and take candy from the bowl, but beware the hand!

My main family in TS4 is in San Myshuno. It'd be great to go to other apartments in the building to trick or treat given you can already interact with them at their doors, but I have a feeling if you can't trick or treat anywhere else you can't do it in SM either. Which is a shame because it's probably the easiest place to do it, coding-wise.

Yes, you would have to go through a loading screen to Trick or Treat. This is probably the reason that they made it so the trick or treaters come to you. But you and I know how people are. They get fixated on something that isn't exactly the way they want it and blow it up into a big deal until all they see in a pack is what isn't there instead of all the great things that are there. Luckily for you and I, we aren't like those people.
  • Options
    rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »

Yes, you would have to go through a loading screen to Trick or Treat. This is probably the reason that they made it so the trick or treaters come to you. But you and I know how people are. They get fixated on something that isn't exactly the way they want it and blow it up into a big deal until all they see in a pack is what isn't there instead of all the great things that are there. Luckily for you and I, we aren't like those people.
    I actually don’t mind this way at least there is some form of it would be cool if the kids could go trick or treating like voluntering in parenthood but still happy it’s their instead of not doing it at all
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I hated Trick or Treating in S3. Every time I sent those kids out, two things would always happen. #1. The game would change their costume to a random costume and #2. It always, always rained.

Not to mention that you had to look all over the open world to find a family that was at home, and it would be 11 pm by the time your kids got there. The one time that my kids did manage to go trick-or-treating, the people in the house had been turned into zombies. Great for a story, but not the trick-or-treat experience you want. It sounds like a great idea, but in practice, it just didn't work.

You hit the nail on the head with your statement! No one was ever home when I trick or treated in Sims 3! Every time I went to a house, the people were out. Cannot tell you how many times my kids never got one piece of candy by the time the event was over. So I just stopped doing that and took them to the fall festival instead!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I wonder if we can throw a halloween party for our kids and invite other kids to it.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,977 Member
    It would be cool if kids could visit a community lot, like the park, and approach Sims and ask for candy. I'll probably just end up throwing a Halloween party.
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited June 2018
    It would be cool if kids could visit a community lot, like the park, and approach Sims and ask for candy. I'll probably just end up throwing a Halloween party.

Wasn't there an event for Hallowe'en once during which you could ask the other sims candy? (probably when Spooky Stuff came out)
    Maybe you can do that as a tradition

Edit: wait, I just remembered. I think it's actually a feature that came Spooky stuff and that you can do during the "spooky party" type of event
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I hope they can go trick-or-treating at least in a rabbit hole and come back with candy. If not I feel like it's a missed opportunity.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    Awesome, that means my Sims will be sitting in the dark pretending no one is home, just like real life :lol:
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,356 Member
    I'm a bit afraid of the random and out of character costumes the game will put my kids in when they come knocking.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »

YAAAAAAAAAASSSS.

I've waited....for so long....

Finally kids can come to my home to get candy. Never got any in the Sims 3, even when I made more families with kids it was rare they got to come to my house plus that pesky curfew made it hard.

I wonder if htey can help themselves to the candy bowl. EDIT: Just saw the above post. They can use the candy bowl <3
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    edited June 2018
    Should have had a Halloween Festival.

I wonder if we can “make” one?

Thinking I might build a park, decorate accordingly for Halloween, place candy bowls from spooky day around with pumpkin carving stations. Add scarecrows and the apple cider food stall.

You could create a Halloween holiday so hopefully everyone who shows up at the park will be in costume and participating in those activities. Or even throw a spooky party at that location.

Just some ideas :)
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2018

I wonder if we can “make” one?

Thinking I might build a park, decorate accordingly for Halloween, place candy bowls from spooky day around with pumpkin carving stations. Add scarecrows and the apple cider food stall.

You could create a Halloween holiday so hopefully everyone who shows up at the park will be in costume and participating in those activities. Or even throw a spooky party at that location.

Just some ideas :)

Probably could since they aren't restricted to residential lots. Nothing preventing us form decorating parks to set up for a Spooky Day Festival. Making use of that spooky day pack too with bringing spooky cookies and such for other sims to try, pumpkin carving tables, some candy dishes, sims dressed in costumes.

Same with adding a big christmas tree in the park and randomly gifting things to sims or maybe having a 'lighting of the tree' type of event. :p
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited June 2018
    I can think of a couple of ways trick or treating could have been added.

1) They could have set it up in the parks and spawn a festival with random townies/NPCs that host a booth or table or something similar and the children could go around to each one and trick or treat.

2) They could have done it similar to the Day of the Dead challenge and have random townies/NPCs spawn out in the world wearing costumes and the children could go up to them and trick or treat.

I think the second would probably be easier and less costly to implement. They wouldn't have to redo the parks to spawn a festival. Instead they would just have to redo the Day of the Dead Challenge to give out candy instead of sugar skulls and to let children participate.
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,251 Member
    What if our sim kids do go trick or treating, we just don't travel with them? It could be like sending them to school. No loading screen necessary, just disappearing kids while our adults sims are at home handing out candy to neighbor kids.
    At the very least it would give them actual candy to be discussing with the "talk about candy" interaction, for those of us who don't have spooky stuff.
    image.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Your kids can't go trick or treating because we can't knock on our Sims door, so that makes sense.

As if we didn't have enough strangers knocking on our doors, now little kids come by too? Not amped about this add-on.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    An opportunity for sims who hate children to play a trick or two.
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    edited June 2018

1) They could have set it up in the parks and spawn a festival with random townies/NPCs that host a booth or table or something similar and the children could go around to each one and trick or treat.

2) They could have done it similar to the Day of the Dead challenge and have random townies/NPCs spawn out in the world wearing costumes and the children could go up to them and trick or treat.

I think the second would probably be easier and less costly to implement. They wouldn't have to redo the parks to spawn a festival. Instead they would just have to redo the Day of the Dead Challenge to give out candy instead of sugar skulls and to let children participate.

Absolutely no offense to you at all (these are good ideas!) I just find them a little creepy. LOL

Something about kids asking strangers for candy seems wrong... isn’t it funny that that’s what Halloween is all about anyway? When I was a kid, my parents would have never let us go alone. Even when we were old enough to find it annoying having them there. By that time, I was happy to just pass out candy instead.

Probably based on my own experiences, I’m fine without having trick or treat. I’ll just have the family throw a party and pass out candy if anyone stops by! I hope there is at least a rabbit hole or some sort of solution for everyone that wants it, though!

EDIT my post didn’t go through correctly the first time! Sorry!

• Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited June 2018

Absolutely no offense to you at all (these are good ideas!) I just find them a little creepy. LOL

Something about kids asking strangers for candy seems wrong... isn’t it funny that that’s what Halloween is all about anyway? When I was a kid, my parents would have never let us go alone. Even when we were old enough to find it annoying having them there. By that time, I was happy to just pass out candy instead.

Probably based on my own experiences, I’m fine without having trick or treat. I’ll just have the family throw a party and pass out candy if anyone stops by! I hope there is at least a rabbit hole or some sort of solution for everyone that wants it, though!

EDIT my post didn’t go through correctly the first time! Sorry!

When I was young, it was safer and so much fun, but the world was a much safer place then in general. Now, though, it isn't safe to let your kids go to strangers houses and ask for candy. My sisters only took their children to the houses of family and friends. The employers of one of my sisters let their employees and their friends and families bring their children to their office building and each department is decorated and the children go from room to room to trick or treat. Some malls here let children trick or treat and only preapproved people can hand out the candy, and the candy is inspected to make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

I agree, in the real world it has become a dangerous thing to do, but since The Sims isn't dangerous for children, for the most part (stay away from the dryer kids if you don't clean the lint trap), it's kind of reminiscent of the old days when you didn't have to worry about strangers like we do now. It brings back fun memories.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2018
    I wonder if we can throw a halloween party for our kids and invite other kids to it.

You can create any holidays you want or just throw a Spooky Day party (if you have the Spooky Stuff Pack) and invite the kiddos over.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I wish our kids could, but then I realised it's a closed world so I guess that's why.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yes that's awesome but sadly our sims can't trick or treat. Hmm I bet our sims will get the give candy interaction back to not just trick or treaters but any sims as well. That was a limited interaction.

This is my thinking, as well. I'll be satisfied if we can at least do that.