Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Laundry Day Stuff cause the shallow snow?

I've noticed lots of people seem upset about the lack of snow depth in Seasons, and I've been able to identify the culprit. Irl, I live in an area that previously had chest-high snow and now doesn't even have snow all winter, so the culprit in the Sims was obvious. Laundry Day. The shallow snow is obviously due to the community choosing laundry over the more eco-friendly options or the dangerous stuff that would lower population. Now, sims consume more energy instead of reducing it. But it doesn't just stop there. The aliens entering the atmosphere with their spaceships, kidnapping rodents so they can't spread seeds, larger families, the lack of true plantsims, and doctors curing illnesses are all to blame for sim global warming. Or it's cuz the dev team decided to allocate resources towards something more entertaining, like the awesome ability to make our own holidays. What are your theories about sim weather?

Comments

• Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    Are you all right? Or is this sarcasm? (I don't do sarcasm well, my apologies).I perosnally think it's the engine. They just can't say that out loud.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    LazyGrimLazyGrim Posts: 104 Member
    Irdiwen wrote: »
    Are you all right? Or is this sarcasm? (I don't do sarcasm well, my apologies).I perosnally think it's the engine. They just can't say that out loud.

I think they could have made it work with time, but chose to dedicate their time to other stuff. I know the sims has been leaning towards realism lately but I don't actually believe that they would go this far. Probably.
  • Options
    peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    I think it’s way more likely that the backlash from the ballpit influenced the decision. That was a decision and it flopped. Since Grant mentioned not wanting to repeat mistakes... it seems like the most likely reason.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    They said they couldn't achieve satisfactory effect, so they could spend a lot of time for mediocre snow, or even more time trying to make it look decent. Who knows how much time would be left for other features then.
    I understand that people are upset about the snow. I really hope that this pack will have content that can compensate that, at least for some of you.
    But that being said, I really like the narrative you came up with @LazyGrim :)
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    LazyGrim wrote: »
    I've noticed lots of people seem upset about the lack of snow depth in Seasons, and I've been able to identify the culprit. Irl, I live in an area that previously had chest-high snow and now doesn't even have snow all winter, so the culprit in the Sims was obvious. Laundry Day. The shallow snow is obviously due to the community choosing laundry over the more eco-friendly options or the dangerous stuff that would lower population. Now, sims consume more energy instead of reducing it. But it doesn't just stop there. The aliens entering the atmosphere with their spaceships, kidnapping rodents so they can't spread seeds, larger families, the lack of true plantsims, and doctors curing illnesses are all to blame for sim global warming. Or it's cuz the dev team decided to allocate resources towards something more entertaining, like the awesome ability to make our own holidays. What are your theories about sim weather?

Ha ha ha, thank you for starting my day off with laughs and smiles.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,965 Member
    Good one, OP. :p
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2018
    I think it was the kitties personally or the doggies maybe. It was due to seeing them pushing through the snow valiantly and getting mired in the process. Unable to breath or even die. Left to form little pockets of stink.. well the dogs anyway because they all needed a bath. They then decided because of the outcry of oh so wanting simmers to add little doghouse/saunas to the sim world, all outfitted with their own separate automated thermostats... that way the little half frozen, vomiting beasties would possibly be able to at the very least limp from box to box. Unfortunately the waist high snow (to adult sims) accumulated on and around the boxes.. then began to melt from the heat and sweet green, green grass and weeds appeared, sprouting prolifically. It was an untoward effect.. of course and totally unplanned for. All those hours of planning and code.. for naught. It stopped them short I tell you.. I mean if you can imagine the little heat boxes every few yards and huge clumps of melting then muddied snow ... flowing into boxes with sweet, green, green grass. It just did not suit the aesthetic. So instead they made the painful decision to remove it all.. and rightfully so might I add. Fido and frisky can now bounce across the land safer... of course you have to watch out for green or yellow snow now.. but well, they are working on that.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    The shallow snow is a valiant effort to get the simming community involved in the fight against global warming. If you don't want this to happen in real life, you gotta wise up and join the cause!

See? Now this is how you put a spin to things like these
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    peragogo wrote: »
    I think it’s way more likely that the backlash from the ballpit influenced the decision. That was a decision and it flopped. Since Grant mentioned not wanting to repeat mistakes... it seems like the most likely reason.
    The ball pit backlash was from the pit having no texture the balls in it were completely flat and looked as ridiculous as flat snow. So if they did not want to repeat mistakes of the past the snow would of at least had some texture to it but instead once again they took the easy route.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    It always boils back down to laundry. First the laundry was killing our sims, giving them dangerous moodlets and setting their houses on fire.. now it's forcing our sims to live in a world plagued by climate change and its repercussions.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited May 2018
    The shallow snow is a valiant effort to get the simming community involved in the fight against global warming. If you don't want this to happen in real life, you gotta wise up and join the cause!

A very sad truth is my home town is already like this, we used to get crazy deep snow, this year it was never past ankle deep :(

I love your theory op I think I'm going with Sims global warming in my head as well. Although when I read the title I thought you were losing marbles :D
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    We also don't have Create a World because in real life we only have 1 world.

Having to make the best out of the few worlds we have in Sims 4 = sending a message that in real life we only have 1 world and have to make the best of it by protecting the environment!

It all makes sense now.
    It's not about game limits, It's about sending a message!
  • Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    i guess its thou small items on the ground like the collectibles that would be hidden under the snow. when they decided to do this they did not think about adding seasons later so now they cannot add any layers on the ground, be it snow, leaves, water, flowers and so on.

i dont know why they didnt tell us a plausible reason and come up with a excuse about them lacking the skill to make it look good, they are not amateurs and it is a significant visual effect that is easily done. without a gameplay aspect you simply wouldnt scrap this.
    Brindleton wrote: »
    We also don't have Create a World because in real life we only have 1 world.

Having to make the best out of the few worlds we have in Sims 4 = sending a message that in real life we only have 1 world and have to make the best of it by protecting the environment!

It all makes sense now.
    It's not about game limits, It's about sending a message!

They would need a billionair to promote it or the message wont sell well. They could also make an abosultely stunning EP and not sell it to the customers but shoot it into space. "Sorry that was the master copy. I hope Aliens will send us a check or have a reclamation and annihilate us."

While were at it: Unite the World! Get rid of loading screens!

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    peragogo wrote: »
    The ball pit backlash was from the pit having no texture the balls in it were completely flat and looked as ridiculous as flat snow. So if they did not want to repeat mistakes of the past the snow would of at least had some texture to it but instead once again they took the easy route.

Idk the snow maybe flat but based on the screens that got about the snow lately that was shared by SimGuruGeorge, its beautiful, and not us ugly as the ball pit.

• Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Funny theory but in reality it was because they claimed they had a hard time getting to really look nice (I think after the so call infamous ball pit incident, they probably don't want to release it and have even more people angry) and they didn't want to spend all their time just focusing on that as they probably want to work on actual game play as that is what is important. There is a possibility that some things could be patched in later with updates though as I believed that happened in the past.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I think you're on the right track, OP...The Sims 4 is actually foretelling the future of climate change! :open_mouth:
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Don't forget about all those nasty vegetarian hippy sims from Movie Hangout and City Living that are devouring all the plants that clear our skies.

ChadSims2 wrote: »

I do agree that it would be nice to have some texture. Like, a heap-of-snow object spawn here and there to make it look less flat.
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited June 2018
    This is the best post I have seen on the lack of snow depth lol I love it.

New theory: Maybe the snow is flat because it just is. Suck to suck!!!
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif