Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you guys play?

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well!

I just wanted to ask how everyone play styles for the sims is? Mine is creating a couple sims and building a family out of them, I play them until I get bored then add another family and mix it up maybe doing a challenge. I use CC and love building and CAS as well! What about everyone else?

Also how many hours on Sims 4 do you guys have? I have 400-500!

Comments

• Options
    gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    I start with a couple and work my way up in skills, careers, etc. as they age and have kids. Once their children are aged up, I move them out and do the same thing, while rotating which household I'm playing. I like happy, family play - not too much drama in my game!

As far as hours go, I'd rather not say... too many! :p
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Start with the premades and spend a week with each household before rotating to the next. I let autonomy run wild and have skill clubs so my sims can build their skills on their off-days.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Depends :D In one of my saves, I started off with a homeless teen in Forgotten Hollow. She went on to meet and be trained by Vlad & after moving in, developed a certain attraction (maybe due to his vampire prowess), and eventually they started a family. Here they are:
    ifnECdx.png
    Still that took some time. For a long time she lived in a tent on another lot, got to meet the other vampires, spent time at the Forgotten Hollow library & tried to find out why everyone in FH seemed so weird & pale. Her story, really, was figuring out that she was surrounded by vampires, while also trying to live off of things she could grow & playing guitar in the evening. She'd run away from a bad family situation, and ended up in FH, a place that was just about secluded enough to stay hidden.

In another save, "The Windenburgs" I played several different families that lived on the island of Windenburg and the purpose of the story was to create strong social ties between them. So they had to interact with each other a lot & know each other very well. The moms would go on playdates with their toddlers at the local park, they celebrated all their birthdays together, had clubs, etc. I tried to keep this dynamic going for as long as I could. There was one rich, two medium income & one rags to riches family. And I played all of them as much as I could possibly manage and each family had its own story I needed to play out. It was a pretty intense save but very fun. And I keep bringing the sims that were in it back to life in other saves, with other clothing styles and stories cause I got so attached to them.

There was also painter Hank & his scientist wife. Or currently, the Selvadoradian explorer who's fallen in love with the owner of the Deadgrass Diner & who are now both exploring ancient curses & myths. They've explored a lot of temples together, know everything about the jungle, she works for the museum, he tried out vampirism. And after many adventures together, they also have two children now.

The thing is I also nearly always end up playing families. But I get attached to them because of their background stories, which I tend to play first. The way they eventually get to meet each other & start these families matters a lot to me. More than the generations that follow. For example, in Hank's old house (RIP), his granddaughter who lives there now still has all his paintings on the wall. Paintings of him & his wife on holidays, having their first child, paintings of their daughters growing up & landscape paintings of places they went to. It's what keeps this family important to me: the story that created it :)

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Sometimes I play with premades or my own sims, either way, I have a story or just make it up as go picking and choosing who gets what skills and how their children are raised. Some of my families are sweet and loving and some can't get away from the drama.

As for hours 1464 though that doesn't include however many I played offline.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    GracelishGracelish Posts: 114 Member
    Aging is either off or set to long. I place my two single sims that are destined to be together in separate houses, and in the meantime I go off playing other households. Once the two sims get together, they become the main family that I play with. I try to let them find each other first. For instance, I'll see them hanging around the same lot and I'll initiate a convo between both of them so they get to know each other, and take it from there. I devote some time into thinking of their backstories and work on their individual skills/career. I don't dillydally for too long, but I don't want to put them together right away. Sometimes I'll let them go through heartbreak before getting to that point. Or I'll make them from besties to lovers. Enemies to lovers. It all depends, and plays out differently with different pairings.

With MCCC, I let it roll. Sometimes it puts a random tv/film character I've placed in the world with one of the other ones from different fictional universes, or a premade townie. Usually it gets funny and interesting and I'll play that story if it gets my attention.

Hours: I'm not sure because it hasn't updated since November 2016. I play on a Mac and last time I checked, other Mac users have experienced the issue. Tried reinstalling and updating, and oh well. I guess it's better that I'll never know, lol.
    here's hoping we collide
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Usually have aging off and start out with a large house hold. (I like the challenge) and the out come usually depends on my mood. I usually have bought out every retail store, restaurant, and vet clinic in the worlds. Plus the cow plant also helps me decide on what else goes on. Lol.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Happy family play -

Usually start by re-doing all the community lots (downloading from gallery) throughout the neighborhoods and sometimes downloading houses so that most lots have some sort of building on them. Then I download a set of young adults, teens and children to act as the save files townies. Then I create either a single sim or couple and play them. Single Sims will always marry and have kid(s) and couples will have kid(s) then play until the kids grow up and move them out and continue to play as the kid(s). Sometimes I only play one kid sometimes I rotate.

I usually have a set story line in my head so I get them promoted to whatever career level I have set in my head sometimes they stay low in the careers, sometimes middle and sometimes high. They build skills based on their hobbies and they are usually pretty happy families and I just kind of watch the genetics play out.
  • Options
    AurialAurial Posts: 53 Member
    Happy family play -

Usually start by re-doing all the community lots (downloading from gallery) throughout the neighborhoods and sometimes downloading houses so that most lots have some sort of building on them. Then I download a set of young adults, teens and children to act as the save files townies. Then I create either a single sim or couple and play them. Single Sims will always marry and have kid(s) and couples will have kid(s) then play until the kids grow up and move them out and continue to play as the kid(s). Sometimes I only play one kid sometimes I rotate.

I usually have a set story line in my head so I get them promoted to whatever career level I have set in my head sometimes they stay low in the careers, sometimes middle and sometimes high. They build skills based on their hobbies and they are usually pretty happy families and I just kind of watch the genetics play out.

I want to play like that, I'm just lazy aha!
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Haha - I get that - sometimes I load up the Sims thinking I'm going to get some play time in and I only get to half re-do the neighborhoods and get no actual play time in haha.
  • Options
    ChanneyChanney Posts: 27 Member
    I usually do happy family play where I start with a single sim and find them a partner and grow the family from there. I dont usually have a specific story in mind I let the sims tell me where they want to go. If I'm not doing that then I'll do challenges as well just to keep it interesting.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    edited May 2018
    I love playing rotationally, like I did in TS2. I don't have a strict schedule for how long I play each family, I just visit them as I feel like. I use normal lifespan and try to keep good friends and siblings aging at the same pace. Last time I counted my played households I had around 30, but I suspect the amount has grown. I like creating different storylines for my sims and take screenies for that purpose, although I rarely make the effort to write them down.

Origin says I have played 2120 hours, but I've played more :smiley:
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I play multiple ways and usually have a story in mind or something I want to achieve for them.. this doesn't have to be built in the game achievements though. Just where I want them to be or have accomplished. I tend to borrow from films/movies/tv shows/games and almost do a fanfiction of sorts although it could be set in an alternate universe. I almost always play with aging off and focus on one character per household at a time... so if I rotate in a save I might control the others some but I'm not trying to juggle them all to get ahead at the same time normally... since I play with aging off it's doable. I do sometimes just play pure chaos and mayhem.. but those saves usually get deleted.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    rotationally... sometimes I become obsessed with two families at a time, especially if I want them to be linked through marriage.

I always have aging off. I also become way too attached to my sims, I can't stand them dying.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,541 Member
    By creating story scenarios and immersion buffs to get me into the game.
    Also, I enjoy subverting the ruling art style with custom content.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I play many different ways. Rotational. No schedule. No rules. Custom Content galore. Sims only age when I tell them to. So aging off. Happy Sims, sad Sims, and dramatic Sims all exist in my game. Single Sims, married Sims, single parent, LBGTQ Sims, happily married, unhappily married, serial romancers etc all exist in my game. Basically, if it can done in the game I eventually play around with it. I want my towns brimming with interesting Sims.
  • Options
    AurialAurial Posts: 53 Member
    I play many different ways. Rotational. No schedule. No rules. Custom Content galore. Sims only age when I tell them to. So aging off. Happy Sims, sad Sims, and dramatic Sims all exist in my game. Single Sims, married Sims, single parent, LBGTQ Sims, happily married, unhappily married, serial romancers etc all exist in my game. Basically, if it can done in the game I eventually play around with it. I want my towns brimming with interesting Sims.
    I usually have more non lgbtq sims which I really regret I need to explore different relationships. I might start one with the seasons pack
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Mine is Primarily: Storytelling.
    My Stories are Action Packed, Adventurous, filled with Comedy, Fantasy, Magic, Romantic, Scandal, and of course Tragedy.
    It requires me to be a builder, and a rotational player, it consists of family, generations, legacy and of course the supernatural.
    Nothing happens without my will, All my sims serve a purpose, any sim who doesn't, gets eradicated.

All the Stories interweave and are complex, JK Rowling can't tell me nothing.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    I usually start off with a single sim. I set them up with their soulmate, then they get married and blah blah blah.

Once the couple has kids, I pick my favorite kid and play with them. The cycle keeps repeating! It's kind of like a legacy challenge, but not an actual challenge.
  • Options
    IndiscreetGeekIndiscreetGeek Posts: 10 New Member
    I usually do challenges. I need to have a direction lol. I can't just play with no purpose. 100 babies, 7 toddler, rags to riches. Those 3 are probably my favorites.

I usually turn them into legacies as well.
  • Options
    PIXCESSPIXCESS Posts: 4 New Member
    I like playing challenges I've recently started a youtube I probably would be playing some challenges on there too
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    I am largely a rotational family player, or rather, used to be, as I currently cannot play the game because my desktop went kaput and died on me (yes, this is the second desktop I've destroyed playing Sims. Whoops.)

In my most recent save, however, I had disabled aging and was dedicating that save to playing as my favourite premade families, mostly in Windenburg. I have all of my saves backed up on an external hard-drive and just need a new computer to continue playing them.
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    kaitlyn0 wrote: »
    I usually start off with a single sim. I set them up with their soulmate, then they get married and blah blah blah.

Once the couple has kids, I pick my favorite kid and play with them. The cycle keeps repeating! It's kind of like a legacy challenge, but not an actual challenge.

That's how I play too! :D
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    SugarshotzSugarshotz Posts: 35 Member
    Happy and sometimes chaotic family play!
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2018
    Usually I just make a single Sim and play them until they die. Sometimes they'll have kids and I'll play for a generation or two before I get bored (I hate raising the children) and start a new save, rinse and repeat.

As for hours played, it's 3,458.... which is way too much. I need a new hobby. xD
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    I have different play style mostly depending on my current mood. Most of the time, I play in rotation and start by making up an elaborated backstory sometimes loosely based on things I watch/read or one I completely made up. I also have a general idea of what kind of story I want to do, from there I just make it up as I go along. From time to time, I'm even telling their stories aloud by talking to myself like a crazy person instead of writing it on paper. It's weird, I know, but I found it's more fun this way (don't judge me :D ). Sometimes, I spend hours in CAS just trying to figure out their style, other times I just skip it to go play right away. I love mixing things up and creating sims with different personalities to see how things goes or simply creating a happy and successful family by completing their aspirations. I play them until I get bored and switch to another family I created and so on. Other times, I just want to explore aspects of the game I don't usually play with such as building, owning a business, or playing with premades just by simple curiosity. Above all else, I love discovering and experimenting things in S4 and previous Sims games little by little all only to satisfy my curiosity. Even now, I still discover new things in the game and that is what brings me back to play it over and over again. I usually don't play with mods or CC mostly because I'm not comfortable with messing up game files and that I'm not tech-savvy enough to know how to fix it in case things go wrong. TS3 is the only game I ever tried playing with mods and CC but only by simple curiosity once again. I kept the mods but I removed all CC content after playing with it once.