Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Possibly Witches/Magic World as GP for Fall?

Comments

• Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    I keep wondering if Witches will get their own life-state at all or if we'll be humans learning magic. It saves the Devs making a new lifestate and would give them time for working on magic.

I want both types of witches, natural born and human. I'd like witches to be born into magic and can learn spells and develop powers from a "tree" the same way we could with vampires.

Humans should be able to study and develop magic but not to the same extent that born witches can, there should be a difference if you're born into magic as opposed to learning it. Maybe the top tier of powers (the really good, powerful ones) are lock to humans with magic.

As for the world, I'd like something similar to Makin' Magic. I'd like three neighborhoods.
    One for magic that would have vendors who sell brooms, magic books, ingredients, etc. A place to learn to ride your broom, a dueling spot, and other things like this that witches need.
    Another could be the Spooky Carnival where strange things can happen. A haunted house, Clown/Spooky coaster, miniature golf, "magic" shows, etc.
    The last would be a neighborhood for sims to live in but I want it to be less of a subdivision and more spread out. I don't want the houses right next door to each other. I want some distance between them with winding dirt roads and forests in between. Similar to the farm area in Windenburg.

Maybe human Sims can learn divination, sigils, scrying into a crystal ball, spell jars, etc. Those are witchy things, but not 'magical'. While witch Sims can summon fire balls, use ice powers, plant magic, etc
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    I hope they have a good amount of magic spells, and maybe do something like Makin’ Magic.

I don’t want my witches to have magic wands, though. I hope there are a variety of options for witches, so people can make their fave magic user (like wizards, mages, sorcerers, etc).

I’m more for options to make contemporary witches like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and the witches from Bewitched and Charmed.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I hope they have a good amount of magic spells, and maybe do something like Makin’ Magic.

I don’t want my witches to have magic wands, though. I hope there are a variety of options for witches, so people can make their fave magic user (like wizards, mages, sorcerers, etc).

I’m more for options to make contemporary witches like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and the witches from Bewitched and Charmed.

Maybe one of the perks could be that you no longer would need a wand at a certain level.
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    I know they've done similar things before, but there really needs to be a fairy/elf expansion pack. Having magic is popular in many video-games and fairies are a good, positive change from the darker themes they used in vampires.
  • Options
    WittlemouseeWittlemousee Posts: 58 Member
    YES!! Been CRAVING supernatural gameplay!!

I just recently made a "witch" inspired Sim, and I am obsessed with her, now I just need some gameplay for her!!
    Maybe some new career paths/lifestyles, aspirations, and traits??

Witches/Warlocks
    🐸🐸🐸🐸
    Psychic career path
    Fortune Teller career path
    Medium career path
    Druid aspiration

PLEASE EA, HEAR OUR CRIES!!
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Would suck for us realism players (especially since there's already a magical GP) but oh well.
  • Options
    @jooxis Usually, I'd agree, because I am a generational/realism player myself, however, witches do exist in the real world, as a religious form. As do psychics, gypsies, mediums, fortune tellers, ect. Those are the supernaturals I'd love to see, not necessarily werewolves, or anything like that, but if they came with the others, I'd be fine ignoring them, lol.

I already don't like the vampires and aliens, but I'd love witches/warlocks, ect.
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    @jooxis Usually, I'd agree, because I am a generational/realism player myself, however, witches do exist in the real world, as a religious form. As do psychics, gypsies, mediums, fortune tellers, ect. Those are the supernaturals I'd love to see, not necessarily werewolves, or anything like that, but if they came with the others, I'd be fine ignoring them, lol.

I already don't like the vampires and aliens, but I'd love witches/warlocks, ect.

Not just religious witches! Also witches that don't use deities in their craft.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Really hoping for a more handy approach to magic and no Harry Potter nonsense.
    Charmed did not die for foolish wand waving to become the norm.

If they go back to their Makin' Magic roots however, wand or not, I'll be happy with that.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    This Autumn should be the Season of the Witch B)

I'm not expecting the next gamepack to be witches since Grant did a poll to see how popular they are. I think that means they haven't started working on witches yet but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    The main difference between a vampire sim and a witch sim is that vampires "hunt" your sim, so you have to engage or try to avoid them. Whereas, witches could keep to themselves and your sim may never encounter a witch or know one when they see one.

If you buy a WITCH/MAGIC pack to get the world and/or build/buy stuff, it will be easier to play with no magic in your realistic games because you need never play with or as a witch. Even if the game comes with a "head" witch (like vampires gave us Vlad), they probably won't multiply on their own. So, if you avoid the head witch, it shouldn't be a problem playing a realistic game.
  • Options
    @CeCeDot Exactly!! :)

(I'm not versed on witches/warlocks ect.) But my point is that they do exist in the real world, so realism players- like myself, could enjoy a supernatural/magic themed pack.

Thank you for explaining, tho, I didn't know there were some without deities!!
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    There are different types of witchcraft. Some work with dieties like gods, some with universal force of magic. Some even worship the christian devil, others pray to Odin and the like.
    I summarize all of them as "Modern Witchcraft", because it is still practiced today and wasn't pracvticed yet in the 1950s.
    The type of Witchcraft that was practiced in the late middle ages and during the renaissance and was forcefully exterminated by the church is what I call "Traditional Witchcraft".
    While I don't claim to know exactly what traditional witchcraft was all about, nobody really knows anymore, as it was destroyed centuries ago, I still come from a family background that would have been accused and burnt for Witchcraft back then, and because of that, I take the Topic very seriously.
    And there are a few things I will get mad if they don't include that in a Witches Gamepack. And they need to have good spells. Lots of them.
    I used to speculate that such a Gamepack would come out in September, until the supernatural polls surfaced. Now I am not expecting it before Fall 2019.
  • Options
    @Armilus616 Oh wow!! I didn't know a lot of that. I'm Christian, myself, but I do have a lot of friends that practice Modern Witchcraft. I didn't know there were so many different aspects of it.

Other than being completely obsessed with Harry Potter, and other books and movies that are centered around witchcraft (a lot having to do with the Salem Witch Trials) I am not versed on realistic, true to life magic, but the lore of it all does intrigue me!!
    I've always been interested in learning about it, because I think it's so important to learn about different lifestyles and what not. People tend to fear what they don't know, or are not used to, so I think educating oneself is a key role.
    I just haven't learned much about it myself, so I think it's really cool that you're describing some of it.

I didn't know that there was a distinct draw between witchcraft before and after the 1950's either, so thank you!!

And I understand you taking it seriously, as you should!! I always try my best to be respectful of other's and their differing opinions and viewpoints, as I want other's to respect mine as well. :)
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    Unfortunately the Sims will never have 'religion' in the Sims 4, so witches who worship deities will never be a thing
  • Options
    @Wittlemousee
    Between the 1740s and the 1950s, Witchcraft was considered extinct in north America and the most parts of Europe.
    The Last trial for Witchcraft in Europe was in the 1780s in Switzerland.
  • Options
    They will not delve into any religious overtones in this game. So, witches will probably be broom riding, spell casting witches. The type most people think of when you say the word witch.
  • Options
    I agree that they'll never experiment with any religious overtones in The Sims, but I just hope if they do add witches that they'll shy away from the comedic, childish "fairytale" type lore.

@Armilus616 Wow, I did not know that!!
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    They will not delve into any religious overtones in this game. So, witches will probably be broom riding, spell casting witches. The type most people think of when you say the word witch.

Weather the Sims Team is aware of it or not, they already did.
    The broom riding, spell casting, cauldrens and potions, pointy hats and the cat familliars are historically associated with Traditional Witchcraft.
    The real life witches back then brew a flying paste they put on brooms or furniture and then sat on it. I had a chance of getting my hands on the recipe myself.
    There are drawings from the middle ages that showed those objects flying with the Witches rideing them and hundreds of people swore by their parents graves, their god and several other things that they had seen witches fly around during the night.
    Today it is generally believed that the paste gave the people dreams and hallucinations about flying and all that.
    There is a lot there to support that theory, but there are some things it doesn't explain. Like how all the supposed dreams all matched.

Spell casting, often in rituals, is an important aspect of Witchcraft. Traditional and Modern.
    So yeah. I've yet to see anything Witch related in a Sims game that has no relation to traditional witchcraft. Even the Harry Potter books get things right about historical witchcraft every now and then.
  • Options
    True, but most people think of witches in terms of fairy tales, not religion.

If a witch/magic pack is done in a similar way and as well as the vampire pack was, then we should be able to create any magic wielding human we want. And can play however we want.

I plan on having a family of witches based on the Anne Rice books, all living together under one roof. In the back corner, will be a fire pit where, while dressed in black robes, they meditate around a big, blue fire, calling out to their ancestors for guidance.
  • Options
    The Fairytales are actually based on the real life people. Mainly what they have been accused of.
    I see absolutely no issue with that.
    Sims 2 and 3 both had Witches that were a good representation of what many people imagine traditional witchcraft has been.
    No Clue if makin magic was simmilar or entirely different.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Armilus616 wrote: »
    The Fairytales are actually based on the real life people. Mainly what they have been accused of.
    I see absolutely no issue with that.
    Sims 2 and 3 both had Witches that were a good representation of what many people imagine traditional witchcraft has been.
    No Clue if makin magic was simmilar or entirely different.

Makin' Magic was less pointy hat and broom and more ingredients and spells. But the dueling was you challenge another and move to a dueling station where your opponent picks one of four pre-made spells and you pick one of four pre-made spells from a pie menu, duel and if you win the most duels, you win overall. You can see it on YouTube.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I hope not.

Let them release all the normal, boring every day life stuff that's still, after whoopin 4 years, missing from the game before they make more supernaturals. I will be happy for the people who want them, but I personally wish to see more realistic content since it's always been the focus.
  • Options
    @agustd I completely disagree with the later part of your comment.

If done right, a Supernatural/Magic themed pack WOULD be realistic, as there are practicing Witches, Sorcerers, Psychics, Mediums, ect in real life. To say a pack based on magic, or witches wouldn't be realistic is false.

Also, realism has not always been their focus. In my opinion, actually, they've gone far from realistic gameplay.

Cowplants
    Vampires
    Aliens (who live on earth and walk around interacting with people as the norm)
    3 day pregnancy (unless you have a mod, which is not made by EA)
    No realistic sized telescopes
    Plant Sims

The list goes on. So, I don't think adding in Witches or other Supernatural/Magic themed packs or gameplay would be unrealistic, as Witches do exist in real life. There are people who practice modern day witchcraft, be it as a religious form or not, and there are people who are practicing Druids, Mediums, Psychics, ect.

c22.jpg
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    @agustd I completely disagree with the later part of your comment.

If done right, a Supernatural/Magic themed pack WOULD be realistic, as there are practicing Witches, Sorcerers, Psychics, Mediums, ect in real life. To say a pack based on magic, or witches wouldn't be realistic is false.

Also, realism has not always been their focus. In my opinion, actually, they've gone far from realistic gameplay.

Cowplants
    Vampires
    Aliens (who live on earth and walk around interacting with people as the norm)
    3 day pregnancy (unless you have a mod, which is not made by EA)
    No realistic sized telescopes
    Plant Sims

The list goes on. So, I don't think adding in Witches or other Supernatural/Magic themed packs or gameplay would be unrealistic, as Witches do exist in real life. There are people who practice modern day witchcraft, be it as a religious form or not, and there are people who are practicing Druids, Mediums, Psychics, ect.

And that's fine you don't agree with me! Ya know, my post wasn't an invitation for a discussion. I just said what I thought.

All the "unrealistic" things we currently have in TS4 that you listed are just little quirks. Some things just have to be unrealistic, it's a game. It doesn't make sense to compare 3 days of pregnancy to a witch. How many witches do you know? I've never met any :p

And if you say realism was never their focus then well. You're entitled to that opinion of course, but mine is the opposite. Supernaturals were never their priority and I think that's fine. Makin Magic pack was the last one to come for Sims 1 as well. Sims has always been life simulator. I don't know about you but vampires and mermaids are not a part of my life. There are lots of amazing games to play if you're into that stuff :)