Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims Franchise Coming To An End?

Comments

• Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    Could it be they (EA/Maxis) is stopping the production of Expansion Packs, and this why the shuffling about? While the Game Pack and Stuff Pack teams will stay intact.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I feel like I'm late on something....what exactly is going on? Is there some news about the sims ending? I'm sorry I'm at work and feel so out of the loop :blush:
  • Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I feel like I'm late on something....what exactly is going on? Is there some news about the sims ending? I'm sorry I'm at work and feel so out of the loop :blush:

simscommunity.info/2018/04/19/several-maxis-veterans-working-on-the-sims-4-got-laid-off-by-ea-for-budget-reasons/
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    The entire series ending will be such a heartbreaking moment. I'm not sure they'll end it with TS4 though, something optimistic and hopefull (maybe naive) in me is still hoping for TS5. Why would they stop milking one of their favorite cows when it still has quite some milk to give (as long as they step up their game of course).

I do agree that things aren't looking great lately, something is going on behind the scenes. I'll never use the mobile version, it's not the same game and it doesn't even approach the greatness of the PC series. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for TS5.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    If the Sims 4 ends now that's a slap in the face to the community who have been begging for Seasons and other packs that are missing. Could they actually end TS4 without Seasons?

EA was able to leave Mass Effect Andromeda without releasing the DLC which answer the questions (Who is the benefactor ? Who is killed Jien Garson ? What happen to the Quarian Ark ? What is the Remnant worm from Elaaden ? )

They are clearly able to leave TS4 without releasing Seasons EP.

OMG I was so mad about Andromeda. I wish they would at least answer who is the benefactor and who killed Jien Garson. As much as I was disappointed with the game I was willing to buy DLC if it was going to answer some of the questions.

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    If the Sims 4 ends now that's a slap in the face to the community who have been begging for Seasons and other packs that are missing. Could they actually end TS4 without Seasons?

Killing the franchises is the slap in the face - seeing all our game is thru Origin - how would we access it if they do what they normally do when they kill off a studio - they will eventually shut down it's servers to open up servers for new games coming. EA don't give free rides forever. Why pay for more content if it has an expiration date?

If you think they don't shut down servers - then try playing Sims online. Sims 3 does not port to others gamers in Showtime either anymore, and I have top of the line hard wired internet. It says the feature is not available - not that either really matters to me, but the thought of no access to my present game does matter.

I just hope I can get all of my Sims 3 and store content back on my pc from the disks without Origin - but the last time I tried I could not access because it told me my code was already used. I know I will lose Sims 2 as I don't have the disks anymore since we got the Origin version. Even the Sims 4 base game I bought on disk had to connect to Origin to be activated - so eventually that will be useless. No this is the real slap in the face - if it is ending.

I always pictured Sims series eventually moving up to EA's famed inhouse Frostbyte 3 game engine - not end. A part of me still leans in that direction and hoping upon hope that is why the magician devs (those are devs that can make a game do anything other devs can't do) would be let go and people brought in that knows that amazing engine. So I do guess I am in fits of internal chaos - worrying about an end to the Franchise - at the same time seeing another possible direction.

So wish we knew what the answers are - as not knowing is a big enemy of mine and I am sure many others.

It also makes no sense to not tell us - as it surely will not garner a lot of sales no matter what is produced if we know we will just waste the money to buy a game addition with a limited future if it is the end. Servers eventually are shut down - that's a fact....
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited April 2018
    jude72pla wrote: »
    Could it be they (EA/Maxis) is stopping the production of Expansion Packs, and this why the shuffling about? While the Game Pack and Stuff Pack teams will stay intact.

Yeah but one problem is one dev let go made base games and was the dev who made terrains to make things possible in Sims 4 - like the one who said for us to have sims swim in the ocean he would have to make a special terrain for that to happen. I swear he was a magician that made things possible in the game that otherwise couldn't happen. It is definitely a dark cloud over this game the way I see it without him. He was the one dev it makes no sense at all to be let go.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Ok for like the 100th time, they have said many times that they still have a lot more to add to the Sims 4, so I doubt very much it will end soon

When you let go someone who has worked with you for 20 years, that says something; a pretty big change in direction.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Killing the franchises is the slap in the face - seeing all our game is thru Origin - how would we access it if they do what they normally do when they kill off a studio - they will eventually shut down it's servers to open up servers for new games coming. EA don't give free rides forever. Why pay for more content if it has an expiration date?

If you think they don't shut down servers - then try playing Sims online. Sims 3 does not port to others games in Showtime either. It says the feature is not available - not that it either really matter.

I just hope I can get all of my Sims 3 and store content back on my pc from the disks without Origin - but the last time I tried I could access because it told me my code was already used. I know I will lose Sims 2 as I don't have the disks anymore since we got the Origin version. Even the Sims 4 base game I bought on disk had to connect to Origin to be activated - so eventually that will be useless. No this is the real slap in the face - if it is ending.

I think the digital distribution of single player games is nothing to worry about. Services such as Origin and Steam see the largest flow of sales within PC gaming, and that is not changing any time soon, for a very, very long time.

What is going to happen though is every game’s online service will eventually shut down, like what has happened with The Sims 3’s Showtime online features. Once they finish charging you 10 dollars for lizards, frogs, and reskins of even more base game content, they are going to end support for The Sims 4. For instance, the gallery will shut down, and all of it’s assets are just going to be wasted space in your PC/game.
  • Options
    WinthorpeWinthorpe Posts: 119 Member
    edited April 2018
    Well, as this is the game that I have been playing for more than 10 years I don't want to see this fade away. If EA has discontinued the Sims, there might be a chance that I might step in for a future development and of course with some financial support.
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Well if the sims 4 is the end, there are still always independant modders who will make it shine there is a hope we can still enjoy the game. Never loose hope , if they have to shut it down, the game won't be abandonned .
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
  • Options
    Hunter_CottoneyeHunter_Cottoneye Posts: 48 Member
    I have been playing The Sims since 2003 and I have all the games for PC. It is sad to see that EA is moving the developers to other platforms in this case the mobile. We have been suffering for the poor development in The Sims 4 since its release, but we continue playing and enjoying the game. It is sad to see the end if this is the case because other way someone in the development team would be here telling us that all these rumors are fake. I still remember the words of Graham about the future of the Sims 4. "If the Sims 4 is not a success then it would not be Sims 5". I do not understand why they set the budget with this franchise if they are not spending money in the development of disk, boxes, and print that they used to do with The Sims 1, 2, and 3. The game has now been digitized and the earnings are not better if they plant to end the franchise. I have been a PC player of the franchise and I am not going to play mobile ever.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I have been playing The Sims since 2003 and I have all the games for PC. It is sad to see that EA is moving the developers to other platforms in this case the mobile. We have been suffering for the poor development in The Sims 4 since its release, but we continue playing and enjoying the game. It is sad to see the end if this is the case because other way someone in the development team would be here telling us that all these rumors are fake. I still remember the words of Graham about the future of the Sims 4. "If the Sims 4 is not a success then it would not be Sims 5". I do not understand why they set the budget with this franchise if they are not spending money in the development of disk, boxes, and print that they used to do with The Sims 1, 2, and 3. The game has now been digitized and the earnings are not better if they plant to end the franchise. I have been a PC player of the franchise and I am not going to play mobile ever.

That was Grant head producer and head of EP development, not Graham who is in charge of sps.

Also EA does not have a budget issue - check their earning call - check their stock market rating - they are on the proverbial top of the game maker/publishers mountain heap in NASDAQ Tech stocks - they are always in the 10 best stocks to invest in list and holding steady for long term. That is just a ploy but not a fact. My broker sees no issues with EA's financials. Believe me I was on the phone with him yesterday evening - .

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

That was Grant head producer and head of EP development, not Graham who is in charge of sps.

Also EA does not have a budget issue - check their earning call - check their stock market rating - they are on the proverbial top of the game maker/publishers mountain heap in NASDAQ Tech stocks - they are always in the 10 best stocks to invest in list and holding steady for long term. That is just a ploy but not a fact. My broker sees no issues with EA's financials. Believe me I was on the phone with him yesterday evening - .

This is why I’m a little confused by everything, too. Why the sudden change? Why suddenly decide to kill a huge money maker like The Sims? Is it possible the sudden release of My First Pet Stuff was simply an attempt to save the numbers at the end of the fiscal year?

The other thing, too, is how they kept saying things about how they were going to be doing so many things this year and that they weren’t going anywhere. Yet people who worked on the games since the original Sims are now gone, there was suddenly no teaser at all, and we have no idea what’s going on when it appears that the series was doing well financially. It makes no sense.

I do think it’s possible they will tell us all the remaining packs for Sims 4, somewhere around the time of EA Play. But I really can’t picture a Sims 5 after such major changes being made, even if it’s just ‘restructuring’.

I’ve seen too many beloved games killed off suddenly to be trusting that this will be ok. I was so crushed when Daybreak bought out SOE and killed the Everquest Next project. But at least they game was only in development and not out yet! They also suddenly fired a ton of people including the face of the game, then said everything was fine, but within a few months the game was scrapped, as was the companion game, Landmark, shut down (I really enjoyed Landmark, but I realize it was a pretty niche game). I know the scenario isn’t identical but... I feel really apprehensive about everything.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    LiesSim wrote: »
    The entire series ending will be such a heartbreaking moment. I'm not sure they'll end it with TS4 though, something optimistic and hopefull (maybe naive) in me is still hoping for TS5. Why would they stop milking one of their favorite cows when it still has quite some milk to give (as long as they step up their game of course).

I do agree that things aren't looking great lately, something is going on behind the scenes. I'll never use the mobile version, it's not the same game and it doesn't even approach the greatness of the PC series. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for TS5.

I say let them milk it. More content is a good thing.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm with you @catloverplayer I hope they milk the heck outta it. Why it would be almost like what they've been saying they would do since the beginning of the game. You know they will continue to make it until it doesn't make sense too.
    This is all kind of wild to me like Chicken Little and the sky is falling story.
    Again though after Sims 4 finishes they might wait a few beats but nope I don't see it being the end of The Sims in general.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    So if they milk it but make content that is dreadful that would be okay because any new content regardless of how bad it is better than not having any??

I would rather see it die than see it crash and burn. And while I think it’s very firmly on that path, I don’t want content for the sake of content. That is a dangerous precedent being set.
  • Options
    So if they milk it but make content that is dreadful that would be okay because any new content regardless of how bad it is better than not having any??

I would rather see it die than see it crash and burn. And while I think it’s very firmly on that path, I don’t want content for the sake of content. That is a dangerous precedent being set.

It's your view that's it's dreadful and has been dreadful. It's not my view or the view of many fans of this series.
    A lot of people have been saying they would rather see it die and crash and burn for awhile now... maybe you will get your wish when this game is over.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    ... maybe you will get your wish when this game is over.

You mean a decent fully engrossing well developed and thought out Sims game with meaningful and game evolving packs as well
  • Options

You mean a decent fully engrossing well developed and thought out Sims game with meaningful and game evolving packs as well

No I meant exactly what I said. If they cut the cord in my mind it would be because the headache isn't worth the money. The media covering. The promoting ect when you know much of your fan base .. in any direction you go is going to be loud and displeased. It's the fan bases right of course .. not saying that it isn't. It just might play into the equation overall of how to proceed .. or not proceed going forward.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

maybe you will get your wish when this game is over.

There's no "maybe" anymore. They will.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options

maybe you will get your wish when this game is over.

There's no "maybe" anymore. They will.

You have a source?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited April 2018

No I meant exactly what I said. If they cut the cord in my mind it would be because the headache isn't worth the money. The media covering. The promoting ect when you know much of your fan base .. in any direction you go is going to be loud and displeased. It's the fan bases right of course .. not saying that it isn't. It just might play into the equation overall of how to proceed .. or not proceed going forward.

The cutting of the cord will happen when there’s no more money to be made and a better cow comes along to milk.

Even if that cow has been milked already, for some strange reason, they can’t leave it alone.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    It seems they have been using Sims 3-4 profits to support other games they have anyway. This cash cow simply feed Titanfall and Fifa etc and EA seems to think it's time to take the old heifer out to pasture, or shoot it and carve it up, throwing away all the muscle, leaving nothing but sinew for the mobile generation...
  • Options
    punisherfrostypunisherfrosty Posts: 11 New Member
    so where to begin... Ive supported EA and maxis for a very very long time. in fact I remember buying sim isle, ant, and all the win/dos based games when they were popular. Ive played nearly every single maxis game that has come out since maxis first came about. ive owned the sims since the first one came out and ive owned my fair share of xps for each version. Many of us here have invested so much into these games and for ea to constantly cut and slash these franchises, is just unacceptable. if EA doesn't want to support these companies or titles anymore then they should just license or even sell the franchises to publishers that are willing and wanting to advance such titles. I hate to even suggest that but lets be honest here EAs track record thus far isnt a very good one and as time goes on its only going to get worse. lets take for example command and conquer, they shelved the entire franchise and iced the studio.... why? well because they felt that rts games are no longer popular and fps games are more popular... plus the fact that they can slap a ton of microtransactions in ti ( case and point battlefront 2). another game that was put on the back burner was a new sim city... after the last sim city... ea felt the need to shut down the studio that makes sim city and even promised us all to a degree that nothing would happen to the future of maxis games. yet here we go again.... they go back on their word...

so if Ea doesn't want to advance the titles anymore or even to advance them as an "actual game", then just sell it and dont let it rot in the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game vault.

in terms of the future of the sims series... well I dont think its got a bright one considering the fact that they moved/fired some of the main staff. I dont have much faith in EA because they have gone back on their word countless times and seeing how they have implied that they are more focused on the mobile sector of gaming... I think its safe to say we wont see any more sim games coming to pc. I hope im wrong though and I do hope that they address the community and reassures us all.

if they dont? if they choose to shut the studio down and refuse to make any more sim games for pc or consoles... then I wont give them another dime out of my pocket.

so heres to hopping.