Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grocery Stores & Clothing Bontiques

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Doubt this ideas will be brought into reality, but the studio could learn from their mistake and apply these changes when needed in the sequel. I also love sharing concepts and hearing it with others :)

Grocery Stores:
  • Non-rabbit Hole.
  • Refrigerators should run out of food supplies.
    • To restock the refrigerator, there will be two methods:
      • A} there will be an interaction, neither of which will have sim-animation, for either "Toggle [on/off] Auto-restock" which does what it says (i.e. when fridge gets empty, it will automatically get restocked), or "Restock (§#)" that simply does a quick transaction (taking some the funds away and teleporting food products in it)
      • B} Grocery Stores will be a lot thing/type that sells food produces/supplies, and realism-fan-simmers who like to grind oppose to paying a fridge for food, they will send their sims to purchase such goods and upon arriving home will be able to "Stock" the refrigerator by walking up to it, and taking each out products one by one from or by putting in the whole plastic box bag.
      • C} Home Delivery: can be initiated by phone or computer, which brings up a window pop-up prompting the player for what amount of groceries would (s)he like to order and displays a window how much the content adds up for its price, and clicking ACCEPT button would send a npc to deliver the basket of the ordered food content.
  • Design this sort of stores as detail as possible: Include things like shopping carts, a different section of alleys for different veggies, tilts/cash-registers with clerks, self-checkout, etc. (people share your ideas in the comments.

Clothing Boutiques:
  • Keep it as a non-rabbit hole.
  • Preferably If closets/wardrobes/dressers would start with zero items of outfits/wear/clothing, apart from the sims that were CAS born and inherited from their parents/siblings/family/household.
  • Sort of unrelated note, but I would prefer If clothing wear was tied/stored to specific dresser instead to all (for organization sakes) and sims actually had to walk up to the storage object whenever they needed to change in the spot (in the bathroom, sims would walk with towels covering modest body parts to the dresser after taking a shower/bath.
  • For your sim to obtain and have the clothing wear in their storage be stored through an interaction ("Set in Clothing" that branches into to "All" and your chosen through a catalog of a menu "A few chosen"), which would add in said attire or another way is through sending your sim to a boutique to by said clothing (at a simolean cost).
  • I would also personally prefer If certain outfits were locked from the dressers and could be obtained through purchasing them from the boutique.
  • Include The Styling Station.

Sorry for my bad english btw.
NNpYlHF.jpg
Post edited by DragonCat159 on

Comments

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited April 2018
    I agree with all of your ideas. As far as the clothing boutique that idea would work extremely well with GTW's retail career. It means that there will actually be a reason for having clothing on mannequins in a personally owned shop and there would be a reason to have a retail location available in the game if you don't want to own one imho. As far as the food concept, another excellent idea. I never understood the idea of why this was the option they went with in the game on a home lot. One should be able to grocery shop. I really hate the idea of having to pay for food from the fridge. Its just not realistic to me. But excellent post!
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Or you can go play Sims 2 - they already have it. But changing up GTW would mean dlc for dlc as surely that kind of change would not be free.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Or you can go play Sims 2 - they already have it.

Well that's just rude

Edirted to add: How would you have felt if someone told you the same thing when you wanted toddlers in the game? It's not very nice telling someone to go play another iteration because it already has that system. What if OP couldn't play 2 or doesn't have access to 2. Your post was unnecessary and rude.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options

Well that's just rude

No it's the truth. How is the truth rude?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

Well that's just rude

No it's the truth. How is the truth rude?

Regardless of it being the truth (because I'm sure most players know what features came in 2) If you cannot blantly see how what you said was rude then there no reason for me to even explain because you won't even get it. There are plenty of players asking for things that were in prior iterations to be brought back into 4. Should they just forget about asking for it and go back to playing previous iterations?

• Options
    edited April 2018

Well that's just rude

Edirted to add: How would you have felt if someone told you the same thing when you wanted toddlers in the game? It's not very nice telling someone to go play another iteration because it already has that system. What if OP couldn't play 2 or doesn't have access to 2. Your post was unnecessary and rude.

Actually they did and so I did go back to Sims 2 and 3 as there was no point in me being here when an intricate part of my play needed all life stages.

How did I feel - well I felt like the other thousands of people that had toddlers for 11 years and they were gone. In fact many of us left sooner or later and many of us came back when we received word from EA - toddlers are here - is what it said and showed a picture of a bunch of adorable little tots. You cannot believe how many came flooding back that also left, because every body that did not care toddlers were missing did say go play Sims 2 or 3 - so we did. Didn't see it as rude at all - just saw it as they were probably sick and tired of all the toddler threads year in and year out.

Well if you have had a registered version before and ask EA nicely - they give it (Sims 2 Ultimate Edition) to you free. They actually gave it to every one free even if you never had it for a while during the production of Sims 4 anyway - so wasn't an issue.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    You know what nevermind. This is just going to be an endless argument about the sims 4 compared to other iterations and how it's not supposed to follow any other iteration because it's not a sequel and the fact that EA doesn't have to put anything in the game that we ask for and blah blah blah blah. I'm done... I give up. All it's doing is turning simmers against eachother...
  • Options

Well that's just rude

Actually they did and so I did go back to Sims 2 and 3 as there was no point in me being here when an intricate part of my play needed all life stages.

How did I feel - well I felt like the other thousands of people that had toddlers for 11 years and they were gone. In fact many of us left sooner or later and many of us came back when we received word from EA - toddlers are here - is what it said and showed a picture of a bunch of adorable little tots. You cannot believe how many came flooding back that also left because every body that did not care toddlers were missing did say go play Sims 2 or 3 - so we did. Didn't see it as rude at all - just saw it as they were probably sick and tired of all the toddler threads year in and year out.

Well if you have had a registered version before and ask EA nicely - they give it (Sims 2 Ultimate Edition) to you free. They actually gave it to every one free even if you never had it for a while during the production of Sims 4 anyway - so wasn't an issue.

Just forget I said anything at all. This is pointless.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited April 2018
    Everyone is entitled to give feedback and ideas for Sims 4. No need to rudely tell people to go back to past Sims games. We don’t need to spam that kind of comment for various threads, either. It was annoying for us toddler players then, and it’s still annoying now. :angry:

Back on the actual topic: I would love for grocery stores to make a return in Sims 4, or to be put into Sims 5.

Since we already have retail in Sims 4, perhaps there is a mod for grocery stores?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I would love for that to be implemented. Opening the future for more types of stores for our sims.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I agree with all of your ideas. As far as the clothing boutique that idea would work extremely well with GTW's retail career. It means that there will actually be a reason for having clothing on mannequins in a personally owned shop and there would be a reason to have a retail location available in the game if you don't want to own one imho. As far as the food concept, another excellent idea. I never understood the idea of why this was the option they went with in the game on a home lot. One should be able to grocery shop. I really hate the idea of having to pay for food from the fridge. Its just not realistic to me. But excellent post!

The only problem with this idea is that Sims 4 GTW has already come out. Grocery stores were not included with the retail stores. However, modders have created fruit & veggie stands for Sims 4, so that works pretty well for the produce. Also, modders have taken items from debug and unlocked them to make them buyable, many as decorations, so that they can be bought in retail stores. One of my favorite clutter items that has been unlocked like this is the decorative empty coffee mug. I like to leave it on my Sims' desks, on their bookshelves, and so on. I also have lots of decorative food in my game that can be used for bakery retail shops (fake bread for instance).

I don't like the idea of my Sim being limited to only outfits they have gone and purchased, so I am glad in Sims 4 they are not. I don't like game features being forced on me as a player.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Or you can go play Sims 2 - they already have it. But changing up GTW would mean dlc for dlc as surely that kind of change would not be free.

Or not - I know they already have that. I did say I'm dubious about that they are that generious to patch such minor/big additions in a free update that would make it a difference. This can be left for future improvement, TS5 (that is If it comes at all) or just to share my concept. This is a feedback afterall. :)

I don't like the idea of my Sim being limited to only outfits they have gone and purchased, so I am glad in Sims 4 they are not. I don't like game features being forced on me as a player.

Well, unlike the EA direction goes, I am least giving a choice for those who don't like nostalgic grind can just have an interaction that enables the dresser to have endless choice of outfits at no fee cost.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Doubt this ideas will be brought into reality, but the studio could learn from their mistake and apply these changes when needed in the sequel. I also love sharing concepts and hearing it with others :)

Grocery Stores:
    • Non-rabbit Hole.
    • Refrigerators should run out of food supplies.
      • To restock the refrigerator, there will be two methods:
        • A} there will be an interaction, neither of which will have sim-animation, for either "Toggle [on/off] Auto-restock" which does what it says (i.e. when fridge gets empty, it will automatically get restocked), or "Restock (§#)" that simply does a quick transaction (taking some the funds away and teleporting food products in it)
        • B} Grocery Stores will be a lot thing/type that sells food produces/supplies, and realism-fan-simmers who like to grind oppose to paying a fridge for food, they will send their sims to purchase such goods and upon arriving home will be able to "Stock" the refrigerator by walking up to it, and taking each out products one by one from or by putting in the whole plastic box bag.
        • C} Home Delivery: can be initiated by phone or computer, which brings up a window pop-up prompting the player for what amount of groceries would (s)he like to order and displays a window how much the content adds up for its price, and clicking ACCEPT button would send a npc to deliver the basket of the ordered food content.
    • Design this sort of stores as detail as possible: Include things like shopping carts, a different section of alleys for different veggies, tilts/cash-registers with clerks, self-checkout, etc. (people share your ideas in the comments.

Clothing Boutiques:
    • Keep it as a non-rabbit hole.
    • Preferably If closets/wardrobes/dressers would start with zero items of outfits/wear/clothing, apart from the sims that were CAS born and inherited from their parents/siblings/family/household.
    • Sort of unrelated note, but I would prefer If clothing wear was tied/stored to specific dresser instead to all (for organization sakes) and sims actually had to walk up to the storage object whenever they needed to change in the spot (in the bathroom, sims would walk with towels covering modest body parts to the dresser after taking a shower/bath.
    • For your sim to obtain and have the clothing wear in their storage be stored through an interaction ("Set in Clothing" that branches into to "All" and your chosen through a catalog of a menu "A few chosen"), which would add in said attire or another way is through sending your sim to a boutique to by said clothing (at a simolean cost).
    • I would also personally prefer If certain outfits were locked from the dressers and could be obtained through purchasing them from the boutique.
    • Include The Styling Station.

Sorry for my bad english btw.

Agreed. It reminds me of The Sims 2, when I first played the UC the first places that I explored are the stores. Mostly I made my Newcrest a Shopping Center(Magnolia Promenade is too small for my taste. I even forget that it exist) full of grocceries, bookstores, clothing, furnitures, bakeries, and many more. The problem in Sims 4 is that this area lacks depth. This is the problem with GTW overall. It lacks connection to the everyday sim life that it often feels that you have to own a business or join the active careers to enjoy it. Police dodn't appear as there are no crime, Doctors don't exist outside the hospital lot, scientist don't do random things when not playing with them. Additionally retail isn't user friendly enough when you are visiting as a customer. It seems that visiting it feels like an after thought.I loved the groceries in Sims 2 because while you can already those things in B/B mode, there is some experience that you will only see when you buy at stores rather than just choosing at the catalog.

And we are also really lacking of store items. We had tons of display cases but non of them provide new gameplay/animation imo. No clothing racks, changing booths(idk what you call with this item not an english person, but I'm refering to the place where you can wear the item you want to buy),etc. It also felt that there is no detail put into the animations. The bakery rack for example you can get food but magically swiping your hands. And lastly Employees don't check you out when you visit as a customer.

Get to Work retail while I loved it, there are so many things to improve at the shopping area of the game.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I really miss sending my Sims to buy clothes too. And I'd love to design a grocery store!
  • Options
    tanakakitanakaki Posts: 240 Member
    I would love to see grocery store options and boutiques return to the game. I loved sending my Sims to the store I made to pick up groceries in a little basket. Or order them if my sims were too busy. It gave my stay at home/homemaker Sims something to do which is very lacking in this iteration of the game.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Not necessarily. Supernatural came with additions for vampires. Vampires were patched in first, enabling players who didn’t have Late Night to play vampires too.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Well that's just rude

How did I feel - well I felt like the other thousands of people that had toddlers for 11 years and they were gone. In fact many of us left sooner or later and many of us came back when we received word from EA - toddlers are here - is what it said and showed a picture of a bunch of adorable little tots. You cannot believe how many came flooding back that also left, because every body that did not care toddlers were missing did say go play Sims 2 or 3 - so we did. Didn't see it as rude at all - just saw it as they were probably sick and tired of all the toddler threads year in and year out.

But you are clearly glad they did add them to Sims 4. I take it the OP will be equally glad when the features described will make it to Sims 4 as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Well that's just rude

But you are clearly glad they did add them to Sims 4. I take it the OP will be equally glad when the features described will make it to Sims 4 as well.

Oh I would be glad too if they did that, but I highly doubt EA would ever approve if Maxis requested a redo of Sims 4 retail for the retail for Sims 2 style. I am fairly certain they could not offer both in the same pack though. JUst like offering new business like Sims 3 rabbit hole as full service - they had to be offered through the Sims 3 store so both could function. It couldn't be free in that case. I can already hear the roar from those getting all their clothing and food options changed if they redid it - but worse in another pack - may not go well.

Some people may not look too kindly in the realistic approach even though Open for Business and the base game clothes and food shopping were the best we've ever had - in my view. But imagine them just taking away all the clothing, and then making simmers only get food by shopping physically.

But I agree Sims 2 did the whole realistic thing better than any sims game - no question about that - I used to dream of that system with Sims 2 personalities in a sim 3 worlds and environments - to me that would have been as close to perfection as they could get, especially if they added in the Sims 4 sims, the sims 4 toddlers and Vamps.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Everyone is entitled to give feedback and ideas for Sims 4. No need to rudely tell people to go back to past Sims games. We don’t need to spam that kind of comment for various threads, either. It was annoying for us toddler players then, and it’s still annoying now. :angry:

Back on the actual topic: I would love for grocery stores to make a return in Sims 4, or to be put into Sims 5.

Since we already have retail in Sims 4, perhaps there is a mod for grocery stores?

I do believe one simmer at least posted a grocery store type retail business - and they were looking or hoping for a mod that would allow restocking like we had in Sims 2. I saw the pictures on one of the threads - but honestly not sure if they used a mod or not. I would assume so perhaps.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I'd like both of these features back in TS4/a future Sims game.

The retail system of TS4, as well as the whole realism aspect of it, leaves much to be desired.
  • Options

Well that's just rude

Oh I would be glad too if they did that, but I highly doubt EA would ever approve if Maxis requested a redo of Sims 4 retail for the retail for Sims 2 style. I am fairly certain they could not offer both in the same pack though. JUst like offering new business like Sims 3 rabbit hole as full service - they had to be offered through the Sims 3 store so both could function. It couldn't be free in that case. I can already hear the roar from those getting all their clothing and food options changed if they redid it - but worse in another pack - may not go well.

Some people may not look too kindly in the realistic approach even though Open for Business and the base game clothes and food shopping were the best we've ever had - in my view. But imagine them just taking away all the clothing, and then making simmers only get food by shopping physically.

But I agree Sims 2 did the whole realistic thing better than any sims game - no question about that - I used to dream of that system with Sims 2 personalities in a sim 3 worlds and environments - to me that would have been as close to perfection as they could get, especially if they added in the Sims 4 sims, the sims 4 toddlers and Vamps.
    I’ve always been under the impression Sims 3’s design made it impossible/hard for them to add a retail system the way they did in Sims 2. That might be different for Sims 4 though. For Sims 3 they chose to add some crippled kind of retail through the Store, but they could have added it in a pack just as easily. They just didn’t. ITF for instance has a restaurant system though (there is one in Oasis Landing with serving robots that can be changed into real sims or so I’m told). It’s a very bare kind of system compared to Sims 2’s but I guess the reason for that might be they may never have planned this kind of feature for Sims 3. Or maybe it was a pain doing it like that for Sims 2? I wish they were more open about things like that, because it’s clearly very important to a lot of simmers. (not to me by the way but that’s beside the point)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Well that's just rude

I know EA is gonna it as always since they're allergic to the idea of providing stuff as OPTIONAL elements in a game.

{EA_Lanna: Profanity removed as per the forum rules}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options

Well that's just rude

I’ve always been under the impression Sims 3’s design made it impossible/hard for them to add a retail system the way they did in Sims 2. That might be different for Sims 4 though. For Sims 3 they chose to add some crippled kind of retail through the Store, but they could have added it in a pack just as easily. They just didn’t. ITF for instance has a restaurant system though (there is one in Oasis Landing with serving robots that can be changed into real sims or so I’m told). It’s a very bare kind of system compared to Sims 2’s but I guess the reason for that might be they may never have planned this kind of feature for Sims 3. Or maybe it was a pain doing it like that for Sims 2? I wish they were more open about things like that, because it’s clearly very important to a lot of simmers. (not to me by the way but that’s beside the point)

ITF was one of the eps not made by the regular Sims 3 teams in Redwood City, CA - as it was made at the Salt Lake City 2nd ep team where the Sims 3 store content was made after the store team had already added businesses etc to the store - which ITF did seem to reflect on the way the Sims 3 store businesses and restaurant worked. ITF also has a store retail ran by robots. My guess is the store animators and designers team may have even worked with the team making ITF. 4 eps were made there - Showtime, Uni, ITF, and Supernatural. Coincidently maybe but owning the whole store I notice all it's content works pretty flawlessly with all 4 of those eps compared to many of the eps made in Redwood City. Those 4 EP are actually some of my favorite eps from Sims 3.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

Well that's just rude

ITF was one of the eps not made by the regular Sims 3 teams in Redwood City, CA - as it was made at the Salt Lake City 2nd ep team where the Sims 3 store content was made after the store team had already added businesses etc to the store - which ITF did seem to reflect on the way the Sims 3 store businesses and restaurant worked. ITF also has a store retail ran by robots. My guess is the store animators and designers team may have even worked with the team making ITF. 4 eps were made there - Showtime, Uni, ITF, and Supernatural. Coincidently maybe but owning the whole store I notice all it's content works pretty flawlessly with all 4 of those eps compared to many of the eps made in Redwood City. Those 4 EP are actually some of my favorite eps from Sims 3.

Clearly the Salt Lake City studio had some real talent to make quality EPs for the Sims series.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png