Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    Im sure it won’t take long before a bundle pack comes out for cats and dogs and my first pet, and bundle packs usually discount the price. I think being outraged over $10.00 is a little silly. There are real world issues to get outraged about. A ten dollar pack for a game shouldn’t be one them.

I agree there are many real world issues to get outraged about.

The price isn't the issue. It's the fact that this $10 SP requires a $40 EP to get the full benefit, which makes the EP+SP cost $50. I won't need a bundle pack since I already have all the packs, which has cost a total of $450 so far. It's just $10. $10 here, $40 there, another $20 elsewhere. Yeah, I'm one that has spent $450 so far.

I've said this already, but not everyone can afford every single pack and that the base game should be the only requirement for each.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well I have pots that look just like antique Milk containers farmers used decades ago - that I use for decor with branches off of flowering trees inside my house - they are pretty decor - but on a farm they could probably still be used to gather milk - who knows - but to me they are Vases.

You go to natural reclaim shops and you can buy almost anything that looks like or even was something else used to make decor in houses now.

If you really look at those pet items - they could be any thing. The little food bowl looks like a hollowed out tree stump. The cat bed looks like decor in a kids room. It's colored to match the furniture.

But yes - I can also see this stuff as useful to expand my C+D pack just like other sps over the years I use their content to expand my sims furniture, clothes, etc, etc in what ever sims game those were for.

Like often sps in earlier sims were just clothes or furniture that matched other game furniture. It's not unusual to have any sps be designed after other eps. They've always done this. In this case a few things was for sims pets and not just the sims house or the sims period. What is the difference? SPs require sims of some kind to be useful - but then so does almost any pack.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Like often sps in earlier sims were just clothes or furniture that matched other game furniture. It's not unusual to have any sps be designed after other eps. They've always done this. In this case it was for sims pets and not the sims house or the sim. What is the difference. SPs require sims of some kind to be useful - but then so does almost any pack.

Again, do you have examples? I never seen anything like that in The Sims 2. The Sims 4 is just the same pack in a different style. It's so boring.

English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,167 Member
    garapoes wrote: »
    Do you have an example of items in the Sims 2 that were like that? Other than the spectral cat.
    I don't remember too many instances like this, it wasn't very common back then.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    I think that this all is also about giving us a choice - something that TS4 has a problem with, not for the first time. Let me explain. Yes, a lot of us are adults who can decide about spending their money, and yes, nobody is making us buying anything. We have a choice in that sense. However, I don't understand why they didn't make two separate packs: one with C&D add-ons, and one with small pets. You want money? Fine, charge us for both. But then we'd have a choice. Do you have C&D, and want more stuff for cats and dogs? Buy the add-on. You don't have C&D, but love animals, and don't want to spend a lot of money? Buy the small pets stuff pack. You have C&D, but need a hamster in your game? Buy both.

Of course it's not simple as that. For the add-on, the expansion pack itself should've been done properly (for example, give us two basic pet beds, and two fancy one in the expansion, and then put two more fancy in the add-on etc.). Then the small pets stuff pack would need more than just rodents. But still, it'd create totally different situation. You make money, we are pretty content (more than now, at least). Was it really that hard?
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Well I have pots that look just like antique Milk containers farmers used decades ago - that I use for decor with branches off of flowering trees inside my house - they are pretty decor - but on a farm they could probably still be used to gather milk - who knows - but to me they are Vases.

You go to natural reclaim shops and you can buy almost anything that looks like or even was something else used to make decor in houses now.

If you really look at those pet items - they could be any thing. The little food bowl looks like a hollowed out tree stump. The cat bed looks like decor in a kids room. It's colored to match the furniture.

But yes - I can also see this stuff as useful to expand my C+D pack just like other sps over the years I use their content to expand my sims furniture, clothes, etc, etc in what ever sims game those were for.

Like often sps in earlier sims were just clothes or furniture that matched other game furniture. It's not unusual to have any sps be designed after other eps. They've always done this. In this case a few things was for sims pets and not just the sims house or the sims period. What is the difference? SPs require sims of some kind to be useful - but then so does almost any pack.

I get where you are coming from and you're right some simmers who buy the pack might use the items for other things npt pertaining to C&D's at all. I'm not knocking them for it. To each their own. I just personally would feel like I'd need to buy C&D along with My first pet (I already have C&D I'm just saying if I didn't have it haha)
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited March 2018
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I can't say that I have ever thought to use a litter pan as a decor item.

Same here lol But I've seen some interesting things on Pinterest and Etsy made out of stuff you would even expect them to be made out of haha So some simmers might incorporate that into their game... idk *shrugs* it's not personally my style
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    One of the problems I have is that a lot of the Stuff in Cats&Dogs was rather generic. Not very Cats&Dogs-looking at all. Just the park-based stuff that was used to make Brindleton Bay. Nothing tacky or obnoxious at all!

Then along comes this pack, and all of it is much more animal-based and for that matter, much nicer. Even the stuff that doesn't have a Cats&Dogs only function!

People say "Oh, it'll come along in a bundle eventually'. What good are bundles to people who have all the packs in it? I already have all the packs - lots of people do. Bundles appeal to new players.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    I would give my opinion on this pack, but I would just be repeating what's already been said dozens of times already... I'll just say I will never buy this pack.
    He/Him
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2018
    Many, many times the devs told us they were changing things up and the way content was delivered for Sims 4 would not be the same as previous titles. They have told us they don't want Sims 4 to be the same, they're mixing things up, they're trying new things. Not only did they tell us that outright and very specifically, it's been shown to be true. One supernatural was given its own pack, which is something that has never been done. There was little outrage about that. Stuff packs now have a gameplay element. Game Packs didn't even exist in the past. There is no Store. Etc.

That's why I don't share the sentiment that this content, particularly small rodents "should have been included in C&D." The company gave the absolute strongest hint by naming the pack Cats and Dogs. There is no contract between EA and the community on how they "should" roll out their content.

There are expectations, yes. But those are the community's expectations, and they are purely assumptions. It seems that it's very very hard for what appears to be the majority of simmers to let go and embrace something different. What I hear is "if you don't do this in the way I expect, it's wrong." And I'll be honest - to me, that's kind of sad.

I actually don't think it's necessarily true that this was content that was deliberately sliced and diced from Cats & Dogs as a "cash grab." The assumptions people are making about the intent of the company are very brazen.

I think it's possible, that the company has documented, set guidelines as to the amount of content they are able to offer in any one pack. I've worked for large organizations before. They are probably very precise in the budget they have for each pack. There is a specific budget for animation. There is a specific budget for texturing. There is a specific budget for coding. Etc. And yes, due to regulations set from above on high, they are probably not permitted to go over in a certain area.

The animation is the part that is the most resource intensive. Sims 4 sims are more lively because there is a lot more animation for them. You may not agree, but if you go back and carefully look, you'll realize it's true. There is a lot more animation for Cats & Dogs than any previous cats and dogs in the series. Because as well the Sims are emotion-based, many actions and interactions have to be animated multiple times for the various emotional states. This is not something that had to be done for previous Sims versions. Multiply the different emotional states as well as the different life stages/heights (toddler, child, Teen) then you can see there is a lot that goes into this.

What may have transpired is that there were some things (more pet clothes) they were working on, but it was in rough draft form. They probably spun out a LOT of ideas. And they had a budget and they said, okay, do we want to spend the rest of this budget on fleshing out these pet clothes and texturing, or expanding the Vet career? I don't think they ever had planned for small pets to be in C & D and then deliberately took them out.

They've also told us several times as well that there are different teams working on packs. And then a separate team -- the Stuff pack team -- came along and said, you know, it would be cool to add another small pet too. I bet people would really like that. And they started spinning ideas for that, and came up with a caged rodent that looks to be far more interesting than any of the previous caged rodents in the series.

If they had released the hamster just like it was in Sims 3, people wouldn't like it. The Sims 3 hamster - technically womrat -- is pretty boring. It sniffs, it runs on its wheel, it sleeps, it eats. That's pretty much it. And it's more like a collectible - with ratings such as "Common" etc. Sims autonomously put them in their pocket/inventory and they can magically stay there for days or be sold from inventory. People nowadays would complain about how they're treating small pets like objects, etc. I'm not putting down the Sims 3 small rodents. They were fine for their day. But there wasn't any depth. And that's okay because there was a lot of breadth in the Sims 3 pack they came in.

I really don't think that the company or the devs were intending to "rip us off." I think they were mixing things up and trying something new. Sometimes, in the creative process, you can throw a lot of things against the wall, and only some things "stick." I seriously doubt they had any idea of the backlash and drop in goodwill this would cause. So now they know. I'm sure they'll take in all the feedback and use it to adjust their future plans. Look how quickly they decided to not nerf vampires because of the uproar that occurred over a short window of time. They're listening. They may not respond the way you like. But I do believe they're listening.
  • Options
    SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited March 2018
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Many, many times the devs told us they were changing things up and the way content was delivered for Sims 4 would not be the same as previous titles. They have told us they don't want Sims 4 to be the same, they're mixing things up, they're trying new things. Not only did they tell us that outright and very specifically, it's been shown to be true. One supernatural was given its own pack, which is something that has never been done. There was little outrage about that. Stuff packs now have a gameplay element. Game Packs didn't even exist in the past. There is no Store. Etc.

That's why I don't share the sentiment that this content, particularly small rodents "should have been included in C&D." The company gave the absolute strongest hint by naming the pack Cats and Dogs. There is no contract between EA and the community on how they "should" roll out their content.

There are expectations, yes. But those are the community's expectations, and they are purely assumptions. It seems that it's very very hard for what appears to be the majority of simmers to let go and embrace something different. What I hear is "if you don't do this in the way I expect, it's wrong." And I'll be honest - to me, that's kind of sad.

I actually don't think it's necessarily true that this was content that was deliberately sliced and diced from Cats & Dogs as a "cash grab." The assumptions people are making about the intent of the company are very brazen.

I think it's possible, that the company has documented, set guidelines as to the amount of content they are able to offer in any one pack. I've worked for large organizations before. They are probably very precise in the budget they have for each pack. There is a specific budget for animation. There is a specific budget for texturing. There is a specific budget for coding. Etc. And yes, due to regulations set from above on high, they are probably not permitted to go over in a certain area.

The animation is the part that is the most resource intensive. Sims 4 sims are more lively because there is a lot more animation for them. You may not agree, but if you go back and carefully look, you'll realize it's true. There is a lot more animation for Cats & Dogs than any previous cats and dogs in the series. Because as well the Sims are emotion-based, many actions and interactions have to be animated multiple times for the various emotional states. This is not something that had to be done for previous Sims versions. Multiply the different emotional states as well as the different life stages/heights (toddler, child, Teen) then you can see there is a lot that goes into this.

What may have transpired is that there were some things (more pet clothes) they were working on, but it was in rough draft form. They probably spun out a LOT of ideas. And they had a budget and they said, okay, do we want to spend the rest of this budget on fleshing out these pet clothes and texturing, or expanding the Vet career? I don't think they ever had planned for small pets to be in C & D and then deliberately took them out.

They've also told us several times as well that there are different teams working on packs. And then a separate team -- the Stuff pack team -- came along and said, you know, it would be cool to add another small pet too. I bet people would really like that. And they started spinning ideas for that, and came up with a caged rodent that looks to be far more interesting than any of the previous caged rodents in the series.

If they had released the hamster just like it was in Sims 3, people wouldn't like it. The Sims 3 hamster - technically womrat -- is pretty boring. It sniffs, it runs on its wheel, it sleeps, it eats. That's pretty much it. And it's more like a collectible - with ratings such as "Common" etc. Sims autonomously put them in their pocket/inventory and they can magically stay there for days or be sold from inventory. People nowadays would complain about how they're treating small pets like objects, etc. I'm not putting down the Sims 3 small rodents. They were fine for their day. But there wasn't any depth. And that's okay because there was a lot of breadth in the Sims 3 pack they came in.

I really don't think that the company or the devs were intending to "rip us off." I think they were mixing things up and trying something new. Sometimes, in the creative process, you can throw a lot of things against the wall, and only some things "stick." I seriously doubt they had any idea of the backlash and drop in goodwill this would cause. So now they know. I'm sure they'll take in all the feedback and use it to adjust their future plans. Look how quickly they decided to not nerf vampires because of the uproar that occurred over a short window of time. They're listening. They may not respond the way you like. But I do believe they're listening.

This is probably the most thought out response I've heard from others giving another perspective.
    Thou I can't say I agree with everything being said, I understand the viewpoint and respect it, because it didn't downplay anyone's anger, viewpoint, reasons or frustration.

Thanks for this.
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Options
    sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    elumae wrote: »
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I think being outraged over $10.00 is a little silly. There are real world issues to get outraged about. A ten dollar pack for a game shouldn’t be one them.

The two are not mutually exclusive. You can be outraged at real world issues and still be upset about other things. People can be passionate about more than one thing, and they can be angry about more than one thing.

Also: This is the appropriate place to voice that concern over a ten dollar pack. It's not the place to voice concerns over real world issues. People who care about those issues are, I assume, taking them someplace where it is appropriate. So, no. It's not at all silly to be upset in this forum, in this specific thread, about a pack.

(edited because I'm a bit babbly this afternoon :p )

I agree completely.
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

I know. The thing is, whats the point of having them as decor? It's still something you technically need C&D for. I don't see why someone would only want to use it as decor but not have a pet to actually use the item. Then again, I play my own way so I cannot speak for everyone else. In my opinion, those particular items just seem useless if you don't have the EP

Depends, I guess. I've seen several ideas about using them for insane Sims, or playful children, to have for their stuffed animals that they believe to be real. :) It's all in how you look at it. And that comes from folks who've said they have C&D but would use it that way anyways.

You could also use them in a pet supply shop if you have GTW. Despite the fact you don't need them for your Sims, you could still sell them to the townies.

Pet beds, for example, could be used for other things. Still deco, functionally, but I could see them as maybe 'camping gear' for kids/toddlers (something to sleep on by the bonfire, for example). Just for looks, obviously, but it could go well with stories and such.

You'd think Simmers would know how to be creative in a game series that's all about that. ;)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    garapoes wrote: »
    Like often sps in earlier sims were just clothes or furniture that matched other game furniture. It's not unusual to have any sps be designed after other eps. They've always done this. In this case it was for sims pets and not the sims house or the sim. What is the difference. SPs require sims of some kind to be useful - but then so does almost any pack.

Again, do you have examples? I never seen anything like that in The Sims 2. The Sims 4 is just the same pack in a different style. It's so boring.

The sims 2 didn’t do it. Stuff packs were stuff and had their own themes.
  • Options
    StaticSimStaticSim Posts: 19 Member
    > @giveit2me said:
    > PalmArrow wrote: »
    >
    > But, why other people should feel guilty for things what they can't change and what are not their fault?
    > Why shame other people? This is not their choice that you are where you are and you have what you have. Why they should feel bad about this?
    >
    > I know that companies work for money and if you wish get something from them you main argument should not be cost and this should not be only complain about product, because this make no sense. Else as adult i understand that company cost in different countries are different, America is not cheap country for IT company and this is what people who speak about cost need understand first.

America is an increasingly cheap country for IT, but it's still not "easy" work. Even if this isn't the best tech company out there for players (which let's be honest, they've been nickel-and-diming for a long time), they have employees, online servers, online maintenance, services, so many things to take care of. And they need people monitoring online at all times. This community is so big they have Gurus specifically dedicated to talking to us. That's kind of a big deal.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    50 pages in and this thread is still going strong

m7vnm.jpg
  • Options
    DBClaytonDBClayton Posts: 74 Member
    I wouldn't have bought this pack anyway. The kitschy, childish decor style of the build-mode objects is not my forte, small animals don't seem exciting to me, and I really, really, really, really don't like when animals are dressed up. (The exception being fleece vests for shorthaired, skinny dogs in the winter). I really like Jungle Adventure, and thought it was well worth my money. I was hoping the next stuff pack would introduce something new and enriching into the game, like how Vintage Glamour included a new NPC. Or maybe keep up the trend of asking players for their input.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member

I know. The thing is, whats the point of having them as decor? It's still something you technically need C&D for. I don't see why someone would only want to use it as decor but not have a pet to actually use the item. Then again, I play my own way so I cannot speak for everyone else. In my opinion, those particular items just seem useless if you don't have the EP

Depends, I guess. I've seen several ideas about using them for insane Sims, or playful children, to have for their stuffed animals that they believe to be real. :) It's all in how you look at it. And that comes from folks who've said they have C&D but would use it that way anyways.

You could also use them in a pet supply shop if you have GTW. Despite the fact you don't need them for your Sims, you could still sell them to the townies.

Pet beds, for example, could be used for other things. Still deco, functionally, but I could see them as maybe 'camping gear' for kids/toddlers (something to sleep on by the bonfire, for example). Just for looks, obviously, but it could go well with stories and such.

You'd think Simmers would know how to be creative in a game series that's all about that. ;)

Good thing they didn't use that logic with toddlers. After all, toddlers stuff could've been enough, we could use our creativity and imagination to pretend we have toddlers.
  • Options
    DBClaytonDBClayton Posts: 74 Member
    Does anyone know if the rodents are paintable like dogs and cats are?
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    DBClayton wrote: »

They're not.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    DBClayton wrote: »

They are an object. They are not part of the household count.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

Good thing they didn't use that logic with toddlers. After all, toddlers stuff could've been enough, we could use our creativity and imagination to pretend we have toddlers.

You're asking the wrong person about that, lol. I was fine without them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed making stores or bedroom with toddler stuff, and they're cute, but had they never come? Wouldn't have minded in the slightest. But I know there's more than enough folks out there who would agree with you. I'm just not bothered either way.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.