Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Build Mode is Abandoned [ UPDATE] Good News.

Comments

• Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited April 2018
    I have a feeling the game lifecycle - and maybe even the series lifecycle - is past the point where these deeper changes would attract budget - and the geography of lots and buildings would be a deep change and also affect routing algorithms I think.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I have a feeling the game lifecycle - and maybe even the series lifecycle - is past the point where these deeper changes would attract budget - and the geography of lots and buildings would be a deep change and also affect routing algorithms I think.

It needs a fresh pair of eyes and talent. Anyone who says that this game can't be re-made is fooling themselves. Just because Maxis and EA took the rights to The Sims... doesn't mean someone else can't come in and make a brand new life simulator.

Anyone in the gaming community can come over to these forums and see the hundred or thousands of suggestions that people have made, to make their gaming experience better..... that information is gold. EA doesn't care....but someone will.

They could have made enough money on this version of the Sims alone to bankroll every other title and give themselves a bonus, if they had just listened to what the fanbase wanted.

This mobile thing... well we all know that there are no real building mechanics in it. I don't play it so I could be wrong about that. But if you can build in the mobile game, I can't even imagine how much more limited it is than TS4 PC. What a waste.
  • Options
    bbeatifulboybbeatifulboy Posts: 83 Member
    I really hope EA release a new expansion pack and add all these missing features back. I will definitely buy it for these features which I am so desperate for.
  • Options
    TheArchitekTheArchitek Posts: 1 New Member
    I recently picked up the game, despite making up my mind to not buy it when it was released (lack of content like no pools, etc.). I will say that I do like the graphics, but as a builder (spent more time in build/buy mode than live mode since Sims 1), I was really disappointed with the lack of content, including the amount of lots and inability to place/move lots. I would love a neighborhood creator like the Sims 2 had with SimCity 4 (I never could get a hang of CAW in the Sims 3, but at least it existed). Also, the loading screens between houses seems like a real step down. I am willing to accept loading screens between neighborhoods, but not for visiting my next door neighbor, especially since the game already renders everything in the other buildings. That being said, I already have 159 hours in the game and spent maybe 2 in live mode. I'm currently filling in Newcrest at the moment.
  • Options
    KafriahKafriah Posts: 16 Member
    Can't post a photo yet or links -_-

I also agree with everything you mentioned, I can't wait to have different levels of foundation and round staircases.

Also to be able to have stair that don't cut into the foundation styles. (which is what I was trying to post a picture of)
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Kafriah wrote: »
    Can't post a photo yet or links -_-

I also agree with everything you mentioned, I can't wait to have different levels of foundation and round staircases.

Also to be able to have stair that don't cut into the foundation styles. (which is what I was trying to post a picture of)

I understand what you feel. It's really important that people demonstrate this here in this topic! Thanks to everyone for keeping it alive.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    I really hope @SimGuruHouts can see this discussion. :(
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    PetreakPetreak Posts: 24 Member
    Yeah, we need to keep it alive so hopefully someone will take notice of it. Maybe then they will consider implementing some new build tools and features from this thread.
  • Options
    surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
    So I've never been much of a builder, often I would get a bit overwhelmed in build mode and just leave the impressive homes to advanced builders and sing their praises when they would share their creations and I could download them.

But since it was said it was easier to build in Sims4 I have been giving it a go. Still not on the level some of you are, but I can saw with Sims4 I have been able to do things I couldn't in previous games.

That said, the lack of independent foundations has been super annoying, and just because the changes have made it easier for me to create homes it's not fair that the advanced builders feel left out. There are still a lot of build options they could add to the game that won't make building a home difficult for people like me. Options and toggles on how those options work isn't a bad idea.

Though overall the staircases, terrain tool, and independent foundations seem to be an overall want from people of all skill levels. Because I can easily say the foundation thing has actually made building sometimes more difficult as I couldn't do what I wanted.

Just my novice two cents here.
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    Something I didn't see mentioned but I find really annoying is the inability to place columns anywhere within the 1x1 square. Even using the Alt key won't allow you to use free-form placement. Sometimes I want my column to sit in the middle of the square.

I agree with all the other things we need especially foundations and pond makers. I've had to compromise on so many builds and scrap a lot that no amount of compromise could get them looking like I wanted. Soooo frustrating!

If they ever bring back terrain contouring I hope it's more like Sims 2 where the "one click" adjustment was much easier to achieve. Sims 3 frustrated me no end as I could never get a "gentle" enough touch. I always ended up having to use the stair method to go down.
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited May 2018
    Everyone, Grant has been taking build mode feedback on Twitter! He also put on a poll about which type of stairs we would like to have the most.

Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    OH MY GOD! This is REALLY something god. I'm so happy now.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    StormIVXStormIVX Posts: 12 New Member
    Not having enough build mode tools/options is the main reason why I've abandoned the game. Game play just isn't exciting enough to keep me playing.
  • Options
    NickSims wrote: »
    Everyone, Grant has been taking build mode feedback on Twitter! He also put on a poll about which type of stairs we would like to have the most.

How about a choice for All of the above. I think builders have waited long enough to not have to choose. We want all of those options.

• Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    I don't do social media so I hope the Gurus are reading this as well.

Give us landings that we can raise and lower and push and pull to size like roof sections then we can make own own shape stairs. It would also give us the ability to make stages. I'm thinking if the default height is one step with the ability to raise up to maybe 12 steps that would make me squeal like a girl. ;)

And give us spiral stairs AS WELL and not some crumby rubbish but nice wrought iron stairs that would suit a Victorian or Steampunk build and a modern set, as well as a more traditional wooden set. At least these three because we deserve it and we've waited far too long already!!! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    So according to this "poll" the builders... who have been waiting for 3 plus years for some different style stair options, Not to mention a whole lot of other building mechanics and tools.... are most likely going to get Spiral Stairs.... and that's it. So EAs answer to making the builders quiet down is to offer this one tiny little bone. I recall after about 2 years... they offered up a singular new roof type... zippidy do da!

This is just another slap in the face to the builders. 1 set of spiral stairs, probably with the ugliest color swatches to go with it, cause we don't have a color wheel to fix what is broken. It will come with another Stuff pack, or Game pack perhaps. Accompanied with I'm sure some Chairs, rugs, knick knacks...all of which will be recolors of things already in the game....but hey... the stairs are new!

Wouldn't surprise me if they already had these spiral stairs made long ago. I'm sure they are hoping to hear the praises of the builders and all the thank yous... after hearing for years of all the things they "can't do", All the things that are "too hard to make" or "we don't have the budget for that". but now all of a sudden they can magically produce new stair styles. I don't buy it. And I won't buy it.

The fact that they would make us choose, instead of offering all the options...to me just screams it's done, and this is what you are getting. Just another ruse for the bargain price of $20.00.
    Post edited by thevogel on
  • Options
    thevogel wrote: »
    So according to this "poll" the builders... who have been waiting for 3 plus years for some different style stair options, Not to mention a whole lot of other building mechanics and tools.... are most likely going to get Spiral Stairs.... and that's it. So EAs answer to making the builders quiet down is to offer this one tiny little bone. I recall after about 2 years... they offered up a singular new roof type... zippidy do da!

This is just another slap in the face to the builders. 1 set of spiral stairs, probably with the ugliest color swatches to go with it, cause we don't have a color wheel to fix what is broken. It will come with another Stuff pack, or Game pack perhaps. Accompanied with I'm sure some Chairs, rugs, knick knacks...all of which will be recolors of things already in the game....but hey... the stairs are new!

Wouldn't surprise me if they already had these spiral stairs made long ago. I'm sure they are hoping to hear the praises of the builders and all the thank yous... after hearing for years of all the things they "can't do", All the things that are "too hard to make" or "we don't have the budget for that". but now all of a sudden they can magically produce new stair styles. I don't buy it. And I won't buy it.

The fact that they would make us choose, instead of offering all the options...to me just screams it's done, and this is what you are getting. Just another ruse for the bargain price of $20.00.

Calm down, nothing is final yet.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options

Yeah... he said " It doesn't mean you won't get one, two, or all of them at some point! But, we can't do everything at once! "... so when.... another 3 years from now they will get around to offering L shaped stairs... maybe a new window. I'll calm down when they stop patronizing us or this game is dead.

• Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    So, we just get ONE new building tool a year? This is ridiculous... :/
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    So, we just get ONE new building tool a year? This is ridiculous... :/

Exactly!!!! Such a load of B. S. :|:|:|:|
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I posted about these exact same issues OP is talking about in the ideas thread last night. I agree with the OP, I would be really happy if all of these things were added to the game.

Am I happy with the build tools currently? Yeah, sort of... the only thing that is causing me a major annoyance right now is the foundation thing but I can live without it mostly. But I'd still be over the moon if they put that into the game for us.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    thevogel wrote: »

Yeah... he said " It doesn't mean you won't get one, two, or all of them at some point! But, we can't do everything at once! "... so when.... another 3 years from now they will get around to offering L shaped stairs... maybe a new window. I'll calm down when they stop patronizing us or this game is dead.
    Yeah you're right.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    Technically speaking, if we are to analyze, the question of the foundation is not quite a tool that should be added, but rather a change in the functioning of something that already exists in the game.

If they altered the way the game foundations work, and added editable ceilings, L-shaped stairs, and spiral, it would be a long way to go. Only terrain tools and pond tools would be missing. But ... they can only add a few things at once, and that frustrates me a bit.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    TychTych Posts: 1 New Member
    My two cents:

I'd like corner steps. Currently, two sets of stairs set adjacent are the closest it comes.

Ironically, I just found out about the cabinets options available when you turn off auto cabinets. The options for cabinets are fantastic, which leads me to think the developers improved much of the surfaces/aesthetics of homes, and structurally, actually been degraded. It really seems deplorable when you consider how poorly features like a round kitchen island stack up to the possibilities in Sims' earlier reincarnations. Makes me wistful for the good ol' days.
  • Options
    Tych wrote: »
    My two cents:

I'd like corner steps. Currently, two sets of stairs set adjacent are the closest it comes.

Ironically, I just found out about the cabinets options available when you turn off auto cabinets. The options for cabinets are fantastic, which leads me to think the developers improved much of the surfaces/aesthetics of homes, and structurally, actually been degraded. It really seems deplorable when you consider how poorly features like a round kitchen island stack up to the possibilities in Sims' earlier reincarnations. Makes me wistful for the good ol' days.

That's true. They have added many other smaller features which are very practical, like all the kitchen counter, cabinet and island options. I also love all the adjustments of the eaves and that we can have more foundation heights. And the three wall heights are great too. They're the reasons why I like to build in TS4. You don't have these small, but to me very important, features in TS3. But a lack of bigger building tools does always annoy me.
    hPtVNfA.png