Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hobbies maxed but no hobby people have been around and no access to secret lots

AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
I recently got the Sims Ultimate collection. I am enjoying playing Sims 2 again - especially around the holidays where you can get Santa to come!

I have sims living in an apartment in Strangetown. They have maxed several hobbies but those hobby people that just come right into your house have never come by and my sims do not have access to the secret lots and did not get a plaque. Does anyone know if this is because they are living in an apartment? I have played apartments many times before but do not remember if this happened before. I have never played an apartment in Strangetown before but I have used apartments in several other worlds.

Also, can you get Santa to come to an apartment? That does not seem to be working either. I decorated and made Santa cookies and left them out but no Santa. I was thinking you have to have a wreath on the front door though (I forget all of what needs to be done to trigger the Santa visit) and cannot do that in an apartment.

Thank you!
Happy Holidays!

Comments

• Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I'm curious about the answer to this one. I've never had the "holiday package" and tomorrow is my "ME" day so Sims all day! Figured it might be fun to see Santa!
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited December 2017
    The Christmas tree is the portal. Serving Santa cookies summons him to your lot at about 10pm. Be sure to not let them spoil or he will leave a lump of coal.
    Your Sims can also interact with Santa and become BFFs with him - great for when your household needs another friend for a promotion.
    Word of warning: he often clogs the toilet!

The hobby issue seems to be a glitch. :/
    Sometimes, I've had to let hobby enthusiasm fall back to 4 just to raise it to 5 again to get the pop-up for the hobby lots.
    My only issue with the hobby lots themselves is they are fight clubs. somebody always gets into a fight and my Sims stop what they are doing to watch the scrap. It would be alright if it happened every once in a while, but it happens almost every...single...time! And it might happen every time, but depending on the lot, my Sims can be in a walled off area, not able to notice it.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    Thank you!

Seems I solved at least some of the problems - I did get Santa to come to an apartment :smiley: but I had to use the regular Christmas tree and not the Diet one.

My sims have now moved to a house and the music hobby lady came by though not for the one that had music maxed so he will likely have to drop it down and then back up again to get it. So apparently there is a problem with the hobby sims - especially if living in an apartment. Don't recall ever having the problem when I played disks so I wonder why there is a problem with the UC - odd.

Funny how brawls break out at your secret lots! Do your sims have lots of enemies? I have never seen that happen that I remember but I have not played a secret lot with the UC yet. The only secret lots I really like are the cooking one because of the cooking contest and the music one because you can do the dance contest - the rest are boring from what I remember.

Speaking of brawls, it was funny living in the apartments - I had put those 4 singles sims (2 are part alien) that are in the bin in one of the apartments and two of them were always fighting like Angela and Lilith Pleasant!
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Apartment Life messed with how the game calculates walkbys and lot visitors, if I recall, which is why you don't get hobby sims in an apartment.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    Speaking of brawls, it was funny living in the apartments - I had put those 4 singles sims (2 are part alien) that are in the bin in one of the apartments and two of them were always fighting like Angela and Lilith Pleasant!

I just got done playing their round in Strangetown in my game, and the same happened to me. For me it was Erin (the blonde related to Loki Beaker) and Chloe (the alien with the cropped red hair) who were always at each other’s throats.

It’s amusing to me at first, but after a while the constant fighting gets on my nerves, so I make sure those two are always busy doing something when they are both at home at the same time. :D
  • Options
    Yeah - I believe it was those two that were always fighting! I was not actually playing them - they were in one of the apartments my sims lived in so all I could do was witness it all the time when they were outside. I do like how in Sims 2 that when sims don't like each other - that that actually means something and there is a rage that lasts a while, unlike in Sims 4, but playing a household with sims that never stop fighting does get annoying - every time I play the Pleasants - I cheat up Angela and Lilith's relationship some to try to tone it down.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yeah - I believe it was those two that were always fighting! I was not actually playing them - they were in one of the apartments my sims lived in so all I could do was witness it all the time when they were outside. I do like how in Sims 2 that when sims don't like each other - that that actually means something and there is a rage that lasts a while, unlike in Sims 4, but playing a household with sims that never stop fighting does get annoying - every time I play the Pleasants - I cheat up Angela and Lilith's relationship some to try to tone it down.

The Pleasants are coded to fight often. It was part of the original story before you ever add any EPs or SPs. Once you add those you don't get the full force of what happens at that house like you would if you were playing the base only. Particular things happen in that household when you first load them (if they are first family played) (Maxis set it up that way) and in base game only. Like the maid ask if he wants her to stay, he gets caught by wife cheating, and the girls start fighting. It depended on your answers (triggers) but yeah it had a particular setup to support it's background story. All the base game households have that setup which is hidden to player. But you only get the full force of it if any one of those houses are the first family you play. If they are the second or third it throws off what might have happened if they were the first family. They all have particular hidden triggers to make stuff happen.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Thanks Cinebar! Yeah - I know all the Sims 2 stories and that they are coded that way- it is one of the reasons I love Sims 2 - I have been playing Sims for many years. My Sim in Strangetown is married to the Bella Goth that ended up there after being abducted! I just got the Ultimate Collection though and a few things seem a bit different so that is why I was on here asking some questions. Like, I did not have Mansions and Gardens before and there are some new (somewhat annoying) gestures - like blocking the sun (looks like saluting) every time they go outside. I love how Sims 2 has stories all set up and you can continue them however you want! And yes, you are right - you can mess up the set ups if they are not the first family played - especially the Cassandra Goth - Don Lothario wedding that is about to happen (or not!) at the Goths house.
  • Options
    Thanks Cinebar! Yeah - I know all the Sims 2 stories and that they are coded that way- it is one of the reasons I love Sims 2 - I have been playing Sims for many years. My Sim in Strangetown is married to the Bella Goth that ended up there after being abducted! I just got the Ultimate Collection though and a few things seem a bit different so that is why I was on here asking some questions. Like, I did not have Mansions and Gardens before and there are some new (somewhat annoying) gestures - like blocking the sun (looks like saluting) every time they go outside. I love how Sims 2 has stories all set up and you can continue them however you want! And yes, you are right - you can mess up the set ups if they are not the first family played - especially the Cassandra Goth - Don Lothario wedding that is about to happen (or not!) at the Goths house.

The game was patched to stop the Hobby Sims from busting in the houses so much, and never to call for mags. but I see in TS2UC this patch doesn't seem to be there. They bust in often and they call often. But I think the apartment was your problem and if you are already in max enthusiam you might have redo that somehow. Simwardobe had an object mod to change the hobby then you could change it again to the one your Sim has now, and then build that back up (in a house) so you can go to the secret lots. I'm sorry I am long winded I just put that stuff there so others who have never played would know why those sisters are always fighting, it's supposed to be from the broken home effect on kids. And just a note for new players, if you cheat to raise skills and or enthusiam it won't work. The game will not recoginize the last cheated skill point or the last section of enthusiam being filled. You have to actually earn those last things. (I know you have been around a long time sorry just telling new players).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the info because I might not have known and others may not know so it is very helpful. Not sure why the UC does not have that patch (those hobby people are annoying but the only way you got access to the secret lots). All is well now - they moved to a house and they are showing up now - oddly though- they are different sims then when I was playing on disk - like the science hobby sim was always a male before and the game hobby sim was always a red headed male sim but they are both female in the UC version.
    Thanks again and Happy New year!
  • Options
    I appreciate all the info because I might not have known and others may not know so it is very helpful. Not sure why the UC does not have that patch (those hobby people are annoying but the only way you got access to the secret lots). All is well now - they moved to a house and they are showing up now - oddly though- they are different sims then when I was playing on disk - like the science hobby sim was always a male before and the game hobby sim was always a red headed male sim but they are both female in the UC version.
    Thanks again and Happy New year!

Happy New Year to you too! That's weird mine are the same and eight Sims in my household and them busting in can be nerve racking. lol
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

The Pleasants are coded to fight often. It was part of the original story before you ever add any EPs or SPs. Once you add those you don't get the full force of what happens at that house like you would if you were playing the base only. Particular things happen in that household when you first load them (if they are first family played) (Maxis set it up that way) and in base game only. Like the maid ask if he wants her to stay, he gets caught by wife cheating, and the girls start fighting. It depended on your answers (triggers) but yeah it had a particular setup to support it's background story. All the base game households have that setup which is hidden to player. But you only get the full force of it if any one of those houses are the first family you play. If they are the second or third it throws off what might have happened if they were the first family. They all have particular hidden triggers to make stuff happen.

Fun fact, this is one reason why the basegame neighborhoods have so many bugs. (That and all the unresurrectable sims...) Not all of these prompts and triggers worked out that great with expansion packs.

When I used to play a game with discs and pleasantview in my menu, though seldom played other than making over sims and houses, the maid would randomly ask in that neighborhood if you wanted her to stay. Even if she wasn't Kaylinn.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Apartment Life messed with how the game calculates walkbys and lot visitors, if I recall, which is why you don't get hobby sims in an apartment.

I have gotten hobby sims in my apartment though :o They burst through the door like mad men. Just make sure the door in unlocked.

And yes you can get Santa on the apartment.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @Sigzy05
    Hmm - mine did not ever show up until I moved them into a house. I am thinking it is because the apartment building is in Strangetown because I do not remember having the problem when I played in the town that actually came with apartments (I forget the name of it right now - Belladonna or something like that I think). Or - it is suddenly a problem because I got the Ultimate Collection - was playing on discs before - but not sure why there would be a difference other than a glitch in UC or what Cinebar said about UC not having a patch. I may do a test and play in the apartment town to see if it works there. I did get Santa to come to the apartment finally and a Christmas tree fire! Fun times :)
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I have gotten hobby sims in my apartment though :o They burst through the door like mad men. Just make sure the door in unlocked.

And yes you can get Santa on the apartment.

Interesting. I've had issues with them showing up in custom apartments that I made, maybe it has something to do with me not making the apartment perfectly? (It was also last install, so it could have been one of many glitches that hung out in that neighborhood...)
  • Options
    I just used one of the apartment buildings in the bin so it was not custom and no doors were locked. It is possible it was because the Sentinel apartment building that I used has a lot of routing issues on the stairs - the sims from the other apartments are always blocking the walkways and stairs - but I never even saw the hobby people on the lot at all.