September 18 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

Do I have to own a pet clinic?

2...Next

Comments

  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,604 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
    However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+

    Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.

    Hey, don't laugh. That's what I used to do. Me and three other people kept the clinic clean, walked the dogs, cleaned the kennels, gave the animals fresh food and water (if they weren't going to have surgery), as well as bathe the animals that were going home.

    There's probably a few things that I'm forgetting, but this was over 20 yrs ago (plus my memory issues have gotten worse these past few years). :(

    It's a thankless job but someone has to do it LOL!

    If players want to be a vet but don't want to own the clinic, the only thing I can think of is to create an established older vet who owns the clinic and will "rent" a spare room in their home to a YA fresh out of vet school and now interning at the older vets clinic. That way the YA will be a part of the vets household and can be hired and played, but not a part of the family. When the YA has saved enough money, the YA can move out and open their own clinic in another world.

    Or, maybe the YA could buy out the older vet when they retire.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
    However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+

    Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.

    I want to be a vet, but I don’t want to cash out a ton of simoleons to buy my own vet clinic.
    Having to buy and build a clinic just so your sim can become a veterinarian means my sim has to be already rich to start with. You can’t work your way to the top. You have to be a rich clinic owner veterinarian from the get go.
    I don’t want to be a businessman.
    I don’t want to buy my own clinic.
    I just want to be a simple veterinarian that goes to work 9 to 5 and helps animals.

    Then what about rotational players?
    Having to build a vet clinic per household considering the sims 4 world sizes... don’t even get me started. We would run out of free space so fast.

    Finally someone that speaks for rotational players .
    21mbz47.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,673 Member
    Has it been confirmed you can only hire sims from the house hold?
    I take it if you can hire sims to be vets and if playing rotationally when you rotate to one of the hired vets they won't be a vet when you play them? If that makes sense.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 3,834 Member
    I play rotational and I look forward to playing a vet.

    Have to see how I want it to work in my save but I see different ways of incorporating learning to become a vet into my game.

    - I will probably start with one sim who is destined to run a large clinic, my other sims in rotation can transfer over to that household when they are going to work. Then I can choose when they work and don't have have a set time.
    - One sim will probably run a shelter and slowly raise the vet-skill by taking care of the pets at home. No surgery however.

    For me this is a sandbox-career in the way that I can tailor it to work in different ways. I am so happy about this change. Having fun while playing the detective-career but I personally will be able to have much more flexibility with this. Now I can have a couple of played sims that fell in love at work while I played them.

    Wish that Dine Out worked this way too but I am happy for the vet being improved after feedback.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 2,896 Member
    Karallyne wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I have to admit, I don't get this wanting to be just an employee and not the owner/manager/vet of a clinic. It's like wanting a fleshed out teaching/school EP and only wanting to play as the custodian. Where's the challenge?

    The challenge would be in having to struggle to work your way to the top. Not just become a vet (something which takes years of training to do) simply because you have the money to open a clinic. Not everyone wants all of their characters to be the "boss" in each of their careers.
    I think I get what's desired, but it sounds like it'd require designing a whole new system (not just a few additions or tweaks). Essentially a career track within a business (perhaps with the potential for "taking over" the business when you reach the top?). Sounds feasible enough, but also could be extremely railroaded and linear, like the rabbithole and active careers.

    I'm sure there's ways to get around it being linear and make it interesting. Just a matter of designing it all and such. Certainly sounds like an interesting concept. Perhaps such an idea could draw from the concepts of the business structure itself; you get a star rating, but it's a rating from your employer, rather than employees. And your general goal is to make improvements in your sim's work that will satisfy your boss and, over time, result in either getting firing or getting steadily promoted.

    Just spitballing.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,399 Member
    I play rotational and I look forward to playing a vet.

    Have to see how I want it to work in my save but I see different ways of incorporating learning to become a vet into my game.

    - I will probably start with one sim who is destined to run a large clinic, my other sims in rotation can transfer over to that household when they are going to work. Then I can choose when they work and don't have have a set time.
    - One sim will probably run a shelter and slowly raise the vet-skill by taking care of the pets at home. No surgery however.

    For me this is a sandbox-career in the way that I can tailor it to work in different ways. I am so happy about this change. Having fun while playing the detective-career but I personally will be able to have much more flexibility with this. Now I can have a couple of played sims that fell in love at work while I played them.

    Wish that Dine Out worked this way too but I am happy for the vet being improved after feedback.

    I like your ideas.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • millerolsenmillerolsen Posts: 629 Member
    I'm just going to pretend that they're working for half of the day and give them money when I decide it's time to finish their work as a veterinarian.
    moss

  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 917 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
    However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+

    Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.

    Hey, don't laugh. That's what I used to do. Me and three other people kept the clinic clean, walked the dogs, cleaned the kennels, gave the animals fresh food and water (if they weren't going to have surgery), as well as bathe the animals that were going home.

    There's probably a few things that I'm forgetting, but this was over 20 yrs ago (plus my memory issues have gotten worse these past few years). :(

    I think it would be fun to have to work your way up to owner.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 1,905 Member
    Not sure how vets work in other countries, but before my last move my cats had vets that owned their practice. One of them even did all the work herself and the other one had an assistant. Now I take my cat to a clinic because it is more convenient, but a vet owning their own little practice does not seem unusual to me.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

    we all try ...
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 917 Member
    Not sure how vets work in other countries, but before my last move my cats had vets that owned their practice. One of them even did all the work herself and the other one had an assistant. Now I take my cat to a clinic because it is more convenient, but a vet owning their own little practice does not seem unusual to me.

    It's not unusual, but they have to start somewhere. Not many can just graduate and buy their own clinic and set up a practice.
    I think it would be interesting if there was some way to do that. I suppose your sim could train their child or something.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Not sure how vets work in other countries, but before my last move my cats had vets that owned their practice. One of them even did all the work herself and the other one had an assistant. Now I take my cat to a clinic because it is more convenient, but a vet owning their own little practice does not seem unusual to me.

    I take my dogs to a vet that works at a clinic he doesn’t own. Actually they have more than one vet working there.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,604 Member
    There will be a clinic in the game, so, maybe you could have a rich sim buy it and hire you to run it. Or maybe play the owner of the in-game clinic (if they aren't an NPC0 and hire your sim. I still think that when you switch back to your sim, you won't be employed. The game doesn't recognize those kinds of things.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 5,936 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Not sure how vets work in other countries, but before my last move my cats had vets that owned their practice. One of them even did all the work herself and the other one had an assistant. Now I take my cat to a clinic because it is more convenient, but a vet owning their own little practice does not seem unusual to me.

    I take my dogs to a vet that works at a clinic he doesn’t own. Actually they have more than one vet working there.

    Most vet clinics are proprietary businesses, meaning the practice is owned by one or more of the vets who work there. Multiple veterinarians can work at a clinic without holding any ownership of the business, but a lot of times that’s when a partnership develops (but not always).

    My vet office is owned by the vet, and his daughter (also a vet) works there too. It’s fairly common for a family practice to hire outside of the family, but they don’t hold ownership of the business in any legal ways.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,213 Member
    we'll have to use our imaginations. sounds fun
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 6,588 Member
    Not sure how vets work in other countries, but before my last move my cats had vets that owned their practice. One of them even did all the work herself and the other one had an assistant. Now I take my cat to a clinic because it is more convenient, but a vet owning their own little practice does not seem unusual to me.

    I worked at a vet clinic where the doctor owned the clinic - in fact it was a converted dairy barn that was on her property.

    This was in a small town where (nearly) everyone knew everyone on a first name basis (bear in mind that this was about 20 yrs ago). There was only two vet clinics in the whole town, and we had three DVM's (technically, we had two for the longest time before we got the third doctor) at our clinic. I dunno how many doctors were at the other clinic. I do remember our clinic having to be expanded (as our town grew) at least twice, before I moved away.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,604 Member
    Not sure how vets work in other countries, but before my last move my cats had vets that owned their practice. One of them even did all the work herself and the other one had an assistant. Now I take my cat to a clinic because it is more convenient, but a vet owning their own little practice does not seem unusual to me.

    I worked at a vet clinic where the doctor owned the clinic - in fact it was a converted dairy barn that was on her property.

    This was in a small town where (nearly) everyone knew everyone on a first name basis (bear in mind that this was about 20 yrs ago). There was only two vet clinics in the whole town, and we had three DVM's (technically, we had two for the longest time before we got the third doctor) at our clinic. I dunno how many doctors were at the other clinic. I do remember our clinic having to be expanded (as our town grew) at least twice, before I moved away.

    A converted barn sounds like a great idea for a pet clinic. I've already got several houses that are barn style, so I may convert one of those or build a new one. A barn would fit in BB very well also.
  • MasheedaMasheeda Posts: 18 Member
    > @Dannydanbo said:
    > PrincessVee wrote: »
    >
    > Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
    > However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.

    Here's the thing. I do not enjoy owning a restaurant, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I probably won't enjoy owning a clinic (but I will try it). It takes a lot of time and its just doesn't interest me. I wish they would have made the Veterinarian career like they did the careers in Get to Work and then gave people the option to own their own clinic if they desire. Now that being said, just because I want it doesn't mean its going to happen, LOL, and I am excited to have pets who control themselves. Hurry up Nov. 10th.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,604 Member
    Masheeda wrote: »
    > @Dannydanbo said:
    > PrincessVee wrote: »
    >
    > Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
    > However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.

    Here's the thing. I do not enjoy owning a restaurant, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I probably won't enjoy owning a clinic (but I will try it). It takes a lot of time and its just doesn't interest me. I wish they would have made the Veterinarian career like they did the careers in Get to Work and then gave people the option to own their own clinic if they desire. Now that being said, just because I want it doesn't mean its going to happen, LOL, and I am excited to have pets who control themselves. Hurry up Nov. 10th.

    Other than your having to buy it and it opens and closes when you say, owning it and working there are no different. If money is the issue, cheat it and pretend that one of the people you hire is the owner. The "owner" made you the lead vet because you're really good with pets.
  • BunchaGrapesBunchaGrapes Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm not complaining because I should have researched Dogs and Cats more before I shelled out the money for it. I was so excited for it to come onto the market and now, having bought it this morning, I am so very disappointed. I thought that being a Veterinarian was going to be a career like being a Doctor or Detective. I was so looking forward to sending my sim to work at the vet clinic. Now, I find out that there is no Veterinarian career. I know that this is what alot of people wanted so I'm not complaining because things can't always go the way you want them to. Just very disappointed and not sure I'd have bought the EP had I known how it worked in advance.
  • PC_MC_ManPC_MC_Man Posts: 1 New Member
    Why cant you work at a vet clinic, as a teen you can work retail or at a restaurant, but no ages can work at a vet clinic.
  • DoodlebeansDoodlebeans Posts: 75 Member
    I wish my sims could just be vets without owning one either. If you're worried about money though, you don't necessarily have to buy a full on clinic. My sim just had a table & check in on an empty lot (:
    FFRnSKf.png?3

    id - simsofbutter
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 241 Member
    Yeah, what doodlebeans said above. If you want a poor sim to be a vet, just start off with a cheap clinic and work its way up into being a beautiful, modern pet hospital.

    And I mean, as far as rotational players go, it's not really how you're supposed to play with stuff like Get to Work, too. Not every family (esp if you're playing with like 20 families) can get to own a retail store so it's better to really think about who you're playing or play them through life-death and then demolish the old vet clinic or retail store if you want to start a new one.
    two.jpg
  • xxgreeboxxxxgreeboxx Posts: 8 New Member
    If you don't mind using cheats, you could use FreeRealEstate to buy the one in Brindleton Bay.
  • arletaarleta Posts: 22 Member

    I think the key here is everyone is different. That should be taken under consideration when building this game. I think being a vet without owning a clic should be available just like running a restaurant and being the chef. The tasks are already there. It’s just a matter of tweeking. As it is said many times before some people here complain that someone would like to earn their stripes. Apparently for Dannydanbo everyone just cheats their way to the top and done. How exciting must be his gameplay. I for one am a cycle player. I jump from household to household. Sometimes stop aging to introduce my own sim. I would like to place them in different locations and jobs. And sometimes leave them and let them do their own thing. I’d like to hire my own sim, have them as coworkers, business partners. I want one sim to run something and another to just learn the skill do the work and take assignments. We play this game differently and all pay for it. Asking creators for additional features (especially since they are reasonable) and talking with other players on how you think this can be better is not complaining. It’s constructive criticism. It’s idea making. This is a game and therefore players should be allowed to play it. Furthermore it’s a simulation game so it should simulate correct? I actually really like running the clinic. It was a nice surprise (I really think most features in TS4 lack imagination, are made ridiculously easy and are seriously sloppy) but that doesn’t mean I would like the option to just be a vet at the clinic. It offers game play opportunities. I don’t understand how Dannydanbo finds a problem with asking for more, which players are willing to pay for and telling creators on what could have been done better. If you look at the new SW pack. It’s simply garbage. The cas and build items do not add value to the existing sims series (maybe one or two items). I can’t use almost anything in any other build or use clothes. The world doesn’t allow us to build ( a big feature for a lot of people). So what’s left ? Gameplay. The problem is that that is stupidly simple and boring. Your sim wonder, talks a lot and travels. Every sim convo and response is robotic. The players game time is spend reading lengthy pop ups and loading screens. Then even the needs are tampered. It’s simply bad. They cashed in on SW and didn’t care if it fits the game or if that is what players wanted. When people express what is expected, what their wants are, what their needs are, what would they like to change, improve or introduce its like a free brainstorming session. All the EA team has to do it make it happen and sell it. That is not complaining that’s inspiring. DannyDanbo and players that require little for their money lack imagination and when people express their opinion it’s because instead of say “oh ok, I guess I’ll just take it” are saying here is my money, here is how I would pay if you made it better. Patch it, updated, listen to it. EA is in the game making business. And listening to customers is just good business
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top