Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Burglar" Livestream answer

Comments

• Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    Here's where I heard the trigger thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-w2Z5vOvAo&t=50s

ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2017
    @AHolyToilet Yes, it's my attempt at making the Other Mother. It's not the best but I tried.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Lol it's in other iterations too, so it wouldn't have made sense either way
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I still don't get the love for the burglar. I mean nothing really happens except you sit and watch the burglar either walk into your house and steal stuff or get caught by the cops. You have almost no interactions.

I would rather have the outfit and a set of lock picks so my burglar sim breaks open your door and sneaks around your house stealing anything I want. If my sim gets caught, he can try to run or be stopped by the home owner or escape to the safety of his home and relish his ill gotten gaines.

It seems a lot more fun to be the burglar than simply watch it happen and not be able to do anything. We have the Criminal Career and the KLEPTO trait. All we need is the outfit and the lock picks.

Maybe they could add wall safes for our "Pink Panthers" to crack open and pilfer. Imagine your sim breaking into the Landgrabbs and stealing everything in their safe, get home, and rolling in the money spread out all over the bed.

Doesn't being the burglar sound more fun than watching it happen. Besides, been there, done that. Let's try something different.

Burglars provide an element of surprise, something this game is sorely lacking. However, if they return in TS4 I suspect (hope) that they'll be more intriguing. I always wanted a mod in TS3 that would allow my criminal sims to break into homes the way detectives can.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Maybe @Dannydanbo that's what's taking the time - making burglars better?

Burglars are hardly Cats & Dogs that takes years to make. We have everything in the game already, the klepto trait, vampires break in, creepy walk, etc. It's taking sooooo long because they aren't trying to remake them. The last retro NPC, the Tragic Clown, was not well received so why would they go to the effort for another huge disappointment?
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    Nikoa wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's relevant but I watched a video the other day where it was speculated they didn't want to "trigger" people by adding a burglar. If that's the case, I honestly just can't with EA anymore. There is no need to walk on eggshells to avoid offending everyone all of the sudden. It's not like the burglars come in and murder everyone. They steal your toilet or TV and leave. Jeez.

Honestly, I don't think I would trust that rumour since it came from someone on the forums pulling a variation of the "uncle who works for Nintendo" spiel.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I still don't get the love for the burglar. I mean nothing really happens except you sit and watch the burglar either walk into your house and steal stuff or get caught by the cops. You have almost no interactions.

I would rather have the outfit and a set of lock picks so my burglar sim breaks open your door and sneaks around your house stealing anything I want. If my sim gets caught, he can try to run or be stopped by the home owner or escape to the safety of his home and relish his ill gotten gaines.

It seems a lot more fun to be the burglar than simply watch it happen and not be able to do anything. We have the Criminal Career and the KLEPTO trait. All we need is the outfit and the lock picks.

Maybe they could add wall safes for our "Pink Panthers" to crack open and pilfer. Imagine your sim breaking into the Landgrabbs and stealing everything in their safe, get home, and rolling in the money spread out all over the bed.

Doesn't being the burglar sound more fun than watching it happen. Besides, been there, done that. Let's try something different.

Burglars provide an element of surprise, something this game is sorely lacking. However, if they return in TS4 I suspect (hope) that they'll be more intriguing. I always wanted a mod in TS3 that would allow my criminal sims to break into homes the way detectives can.

Elements of surprise in a game like The Sims sound nice until they actually get implemented. The team just doesn't know how to balance them out. Prime example is vampire break ins, other are neighbors in CL who end up standing outside your door all day like creeps simply because your sim picked up a guitar or cooked a meal. Not to mention abductions that had to be toned down in a patch because players would experience them way too often (and now they barely happen at all)

I can imagine if they ever give us burglars it'll just become the same old nightmare people will be fixing with mods and make tons of threads about in the "bugs and gameplay issues" section.

Also, offtopic, but amazing to see people who keep shaming people for being triggered by everything get upset at a joke made clearly in reference to them. Go figure.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    When I heard that I actually rolled my eyes. It's just a ridiculous excuse, there's a criminal career path and aspiration but no burglars?
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    mika wrote: »
    When I heard that I actually rolled my eyes. It's just a ridiculous excuse, there's a criminal career path and aspiration but no burglars?

They were joking apparently so I think they were making fun of that thread where some guy said that he knew some who knew someone who works at EA (or something like that) that said that we won't get burglars because they might be triggering.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    No one can say for certain burglars aren't coming. No one can say they are. Nobody here is a developer. I hope they come back, I like the random events that make the game interesting. The sims 4 is very "happy, happy happy" without the element of surprise. Our sims being kleptos don't count as again it's toned down from the sims 3. (Ditto the criminal career) Not wanting to open up a debate about the merits of each but burglars being back would be a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

we have everything in CAS already except the mask honestly. it's nothing more than black pants, black shoes, and b&w stripped shirt which i'm sure is in there, and a beanie cap which is already in came. you can use the creepy animation walk from vampires if you wanted to and with the klepto trait.... burgler
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I don't want them coming back exactly the same. I want them to come back even better. Like.. be attacked by dogs, ponder what to steal, do something funny like eat your food. And i want burglaries to happen much less and be surprising.. more likely to happen in San Myshuno maybe. Maybe they come in groups of 2 sometimes and being aloooot slower to steal things. I really love losing control and having to "rebuild".
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

That does sound like fun. Ideally, there would need to be distinct failure scenarios though, that aren't just of the "swiper no swiping" variety. Like... off the top of my head, maybe if you're spotted by an adult, they force you into a fight and if you lose the fight, then your crime gets reported and anything you stole is given back, as well as if you're in a career other than criminal you get demoted a rank. Or if you win the fight, they run away in fear and won't bother you for the rest of the robbery.

They could even consider putting in special burglar abilities to do with making it easier to pull off (maybe tied as an unlock to the criminal career). Like being able to lock the doors inside another person's house to trap them in the room, so they won't force you into a fight. And setting up a noisemaker in a particular room that will go off in 10-15 seconds or so, drawing sims to that room for a bit (giving you a chance to lock them in, provided you get out of the room you set it up in so they don't see you).
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Triplis wrote: »

That does sound like fun. Ideally, there would need to be distinct failure scenarios though, that aren't just of the "swiper no swiping" variety. Like... off the top of my head, maybe if you're spotted by an adult, they force you into a fight and if you lose the fight, then your crime gets reported and anything you stole is given back, as well as if you're in a career other than criminal you get demoted a rank. Or if you win the fight, they run away in fear and won't bother you for the rest of the robbery.

They could even consider putting in special burglar abilities to do with making it easier to pull off (maybe tied as an unlock to the criminal career). Like being able to lock the doors inside another person's house to trap them in the room, so they won't force you into a fight. And setting up a noisemaker in a particular room that will go off in 10-15 seconds or so, drawing sims to that room for a bit (giving you a chance to lock them in, provided you get out of the room you set it up in so they don't see you).

1) The burglar could wake a dog that barks an alarm.
    2) The alarm could go off unless we get a ALARM SKILL where the more we break alarms the better we get with a less chance to fail.
    3) A household member could awake for a late night snack or glass of milk (these are triggered by the burglar) and almost catch the burglar who must hide.
    4) The burglar could be a noob and trip or break something waking the house.

There are all kinds of possibilities if they allow us to be the burglar.

I would love to play out a Pink Panther scenario. The gentleman cat burglar. Or imagine a stealthy female in a black cat suit sneaking around the house, stealing the artwork or Mom's jewelry. Remember the video in S3 where they showed a burglar sneaking into a house while the people were up and stealing candy from a baby?
  • Options

2) The alarm could go off unless we get a ALARM SKILL where the more we break alarms the better we get with a less chance to fail.
    3) A household member could awake for a late night snack or glass of milk (these are triggered by the burglar) and almost catch the burglar who must hide.

I would love to play out a Pink Panther scenario. The gentleman cat burglar. Or imagine a stealthy female in a black cat suit sneaking around the house, stealing the artwork or Mom's jewelry. Remember the video in S3 where they showed a burglar sneaking into a house while the people were up and stealing candy from a baby?
    I've not seen that video, but those sound like fun ideas to me. :smiley:
  • Options

You've never seen the Pink Panther movies with David Niven as the thief and Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau? You should rent them or find them on line. They are funny. They also are the reason for the Pink Panther cartoon.
  • Options

You've never seen the Pink Panther movies with David Niven as the thief and Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau? You should rent them or find them on line. They are funny. They also are the reason for the Pink Panther cartoon.

I meant the S3 video. I have seen the Pink Panther movies. I think all or at least most of them, both old (David Niven, Peter Sellers) and modern (Steve Martin). They are a laugh riot. I love the humor in them. I feel like the Steve Martin Pink Panther movies are one of the few cases in cinema of rebooting a series and truly doing it justice. Nothing can quite match Peter Sellers' style, but Steve Martin brings his own style of expert comedic timing and depth, so it works out in the end, imo.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Eliharb wrote: »
    I just watched the latest livestream and the SimGurus were asked "Why aren't there burglars in TS4?" and the team answered "Because we don't want crime in the sims".

I cannot stress on how disappointing that is, to literally have no negative/challenging aspects of the game besides sims leaving trash around and being directed to clean it. Burglars are a huge part of the sims experience. They're about saving to buy stuff for your sims and then having a little risk of sims being robbed! That was like fires.. a little bit of loss of control and a little challenge here and there!

I really really hope they reconsider burglars, gameplay can't just be all positive things all the time! Some of you have to agree, right?

What?! I bet The Sims would never have been built if it were left up to this modern day Maxis. :s
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    I'm shocked how many people are outraged by this answer. For me it was obvious he's being sarcastic/joking and just tired of questions they can not answer yet.
    Seriously, guys, calm down.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited October 2017
    @AHolyToilet Yes, it's my attempt at making the Other Mother. It's not the best but I tried.

No, it's very good. I recognized it, at least.

I find it odd he says he could completely agree with EA's "reasoning" for burglars. He says in the Sims 4, since it's lot based, players could feel violated for something invading their virtual home.

Correct me if I'm wrong since I've never played the game, but isn't the Sims 2 lot based, so lot based that it's actually more restrictive than the Sims 4's?
  • Options

I find it odd he says he could completely agree with EA's "reasoning" for burglars. He says in the Sims 4, since it's lot based, players could feel violated for something invading their virtual home.

Correct me if I'm wrong since I've never played the game, but isn't the Sims 2 lot based, so lot based that it's actually more restrictive than the Sims 4's?

Sims 2 is a closed world or lot based.

That's be fair Jonny says he "could" agree, it doesn't mean that he does agree. Hence he goes on to list vampires having the ability to break in and attack.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited October 2017

That's be fair Jonny says he "could" agree, it doesn't mean that he does agree. Hence he goes on to list vampires having the ability to break in and attack.

I know. Believe me, it's an example I would've chosen myself if this subject came to debate. However, choosing that example with the previous comment of saying he could agree makes it sound like Vampires are the only reason why he doesn't. Entirely subjective, of course.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited October 2017
    There is no confirmation, but it was clearly a joke
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

I know. Believe me, it's an example I would've chosen myself if this subject came to debate. However, choosing that example with the previous comment of saying he could agree makes it sound like Vampires are the only reason why he doesn't. Entirely subjective, of course.

Oh me too! ;) I took it as he could agree that EA don't want to upset players with unpleasant things that may have happened in real life like burglaries, he could agree with that if it wasn't for the fact you know he vamps letting themselves in and snacking on you as that blows that theory out the water that it's a "don't want to upset fans" reason.

Simmer Jonny's favourite of the series is still sims 2 so I think he genuinely does want the burglar back like so many of us do.
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    Checkout @Dreagen1 's take on burglars in the sims 4:
    DDy4g7cUAAElShU.jpg:large
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti