Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All your Builders want a Stuff Pack For Building!!!

FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member
edited October 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
We want spiral & split level stairs, Gothic wall papers would be nice. Think about us, enough already with hair, clothes and clutter.
"Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
Post edited by FoundMarbles on

Comments

• Options
    jadeiamjadeiam Posts: 146 Member
    edited October 2017
    Yep! As a builder not a 'simmer' I wholeheartedly agree!
    Spiral stairs and split level stairs are two things that we feel are long overdue!
    More unique architectural aspects would be awesome, plus more floor and wall covering choices, so many are similar to each other.
    Curved walls and windows that will suit.
    Multi level terrain, I don't know if going as far as Sims3 is doable, but at least some options to the current super flat surface.

Please consider a 'Builders Pack' just for building and designing, no clothes, no hairdos, no clutter.
    Post edited by jadeiam on
  • Options
    AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    Why can't they just patch things in for builders or include them in a pack with clothes and such? I do ways more builds than actual playing when I play the game, but still don't see a point of a pack just for roofs, stairs, separate foundations, etc.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Terrain tools are a necessity as well as everything already mentioned.
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Many build tools would have to be pushed out in a patch and, therefore, given to us for free. There is no real incentive for EA (other than to please the fans and not the EA suits) to give us something that they would actually lose money on in the long run. Their excuse for the Sims 4 lacking so many tools, and other content found in previous versions, is that they are aiming at the 13 year old girls that want a simpler version of the Sims, with fewer and simpler tools to work with. That excuse does not fly with me! I believe the real reason this game is so shallow and empty is the plum game engine they were left to work with after the change in direction from an online game to an offline game is so limited in what it can do. It’s not that they don’t want to give us more build tools, it’s that they can’t! EA does not admit to making mistakes very easily, but in this case it sure would help answer a lot of questions if they did.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited October 2017
    I want more than just spiral stairs. I would like a lot more stair options for my builds, more windows, doors, and arches, ability to make split level homes (real ones), more pool options and maybe add stairs to pools and a kiddy side for toddlers to play in. More bushes, trees, and flowers. In all, I think there is a lot missing for builders. I hope they start adding at least different stair types. I want more than just the standard and spiral (if we even get those).
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited October 2017
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    I believe the real reason this game is so shallow and empty is the plum game engine they were left to work with after the change in direction from an online game to an offline game is so limited in what it can do. It’s not that they don’t want to give us more build tools, it’s that they can’t! EA does not admit to making mistakes very easily, but in this case it sure would help answer a lot of questions if they did.

Very much this, together with my sincere belief that they (whether it be management or the temp outsourced teams they hire) are neither skilled nor motivated enough to fix the obvious bugs they initially place into the game and (knowingly or otherwise) allow to pass QC before release (and still waiting for them to prove me wrong...).
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • Options
    Hellagood88Hellagood88 Posts: 76 Member
    I certainly agree with a lot of this, im definitely a builder. Wall and floor textures and the afore mentioned staircases would be perfect
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited October 2017
    I want more than just spiral stairs. I would like a lot more stair options for my builds, more windows, doors, and arches, ability to make split level homes (real ones), more pool options and maybe add stairs to pools and a kiddy side for toddlers to play in. More bushes, trees, and flowers. In all, I think there is a lot missing for builders. I hope they start adding at least different stair types. I want more than just the standard and spiral (if we even get those).

I would like to know what your idea of a split-level home is. I thought I knew and was greatly surprised by how the Housing Market actually defines it.

I would like the ability to create U-turn staircases, for one. In some cases that would call for a way to create a landing. My Grand Aunt's house, for instance, had what I termed for years a bent staircase. You came from the front foyer, turned right at the L and went up about three steps, turned left and went up a regular staircase to the second floor. That lower 'landing' must have been about four feet long (or as I built it in Sims2, two blocks' worth of interior platform). And can we please, please, PLEASE be able to have a functioning stair on an angle. On that four foot landing was also a door, on an angle, that led down to the kitchen. It was called the servants' entrance. (The house was built after the Civil War for an officer's wife in California, so we're not looking at slaves or anything. Just normal maids.) In this house there was also a Butler's Pantry between the kitchen and the dining room and in the kitchen, a dumb-waiter. It was really cool.

My own U-turn staircase goes from my kitchen (seven steps, the eight being the landing) which is about three feet wide, take a half-step up as you turn right on up the remaining seven steps to the second floor.

I've also been in houses that have spiral staircases, but not like the tight cork-screw ones they keep giving us in this game. Those are nice, don't get me wrong, but I'm thinking more in the terms of a 'grand' staircase. One that has more of a gentle curve as it winds downward to the main floor. I'd like to have that option. It would be nice, could it be done, were they to allow us to choose how tight, or loose said curve would be — along the lines of the foundation we get to set. A nice slider so we could control it to fit the floor plan we're working on.

While we're at it, can we not truly have a half-wall. Not half the height, but half the width! I like to recreate floor plans I've seen in magazines, or houses I've been in. I don't know what it is about my brain, but I tend to take mental pictures, I guess, easily memorizing floor plans when I've been to a house more than once. This game has allowed me to follow my love of floor plans, but I keep getting frustrated at its limits.

EA, I'm NOT a thirteen year old girl and I have played this game since 2005, and my children were already grown. I'll likely play it up until I die. God-willing that will be some time off from now, but my point being this is a great thing to help an Empty Nester to fill in the void. Don't discount us.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    No, I'm sorry a stuff pack with one object like spiral staircase isn't going to cut it. If someone thinks a stuff pack for more wallpaper and a staircase is the answer they don't know clouds at all. Refresher, I've looked at clouds from both sides now, up and down, and still somehow, It's clouds' illusions I recall, I really don't know clouds at all. That's about how it seems when you say a stuff pack will do to fill that hole, no it won't.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, I'm sorry a stuff pack with one object like spiral staircase isn't going to cut it. If someone thinks a stuff pack for more wallpaper and a staircase is the answer they don't know clouds at all. Refresher, I've looked at clouds from both sides now, up and down, and still somehow, It's clouds' illusions I recall, I really don't know clouds at all. That's about how it seems when you say a stuff pack will do to fill that hole, no it won't.

Sorry, I was just siting a couple of examples, I want a stuff pack bursting with new stuff for builders; I also want terrain sculpting back & lots of other stuff but my list would be huge. Really, I just want more consideration for those of us who build more than play. After all, I buy EVERY pack and extension and I'm really just paying for a couple of pieces of furniture. We never get really good stuff for the building crowd!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • Options

Sorry, I was just siting a couple of examples, I want a stuff pack bursting with new stuff for builders; I also want terrain sculpting back & lots of other stuff but my list would be huge. Really, I just want more consideration for those of us who build more than play. After all, I buy EVERY pack and extension and I'm really just paying for a couple of pieces of furniture. We never get really good stuff for the building crowd!

What you are failing to realize is once they put something in a stuff pack they are pretty much done with that theme. So, building as a stuff pack is a bad idea in my opinion, they probably wouldn't revist the issue once they pump out a stuff pack concerning 'building'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @Cinebar They will follow the money! If Simers stop buying then either the games dies or AE provides the kind of game the buyers want. What ever they do, they have seen the last of my money until I have better building options. That is my story and I'm sticking to it and they can keep the cats and dogs!
    Post edited by FoundMarbles on
  • Options
    @Cinebar They will follow the money! If Simers stop buying then either the games does or AE provides the kind of game the buyers want. What ever they do, they have seen the last of my money until I have better building options. That is my story and I'm sticking to it and they can keep the cats and dogs!

It's your choice, but requesting building items in a stuff pack is too small an idea we need a big fat EP :D for builders. Because we see they won't fix the icecream can to allow kids to use it once it's in a stuff pack, so broaden your request to ask for big things not small things like wall paper.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    No, I'm sorry a stuff pack with one object like spiral staircase isn't going to cut it.

Not just stuff, but also a revised toolset for builders.

I'd like to see a change to the terrain level of flat flat and some more flat, plus curved walls and windows, arches, domes and definitely more roofing styles.
    The ability to build over water without having to make walls in the water. The ability to have a raised foundation without it being completely built in (currently you'd have to make the first floor a second story to the home if that makes sense)

Just a lot more freedom when it comes to building and designing, not just walls, doors or 'stuff' as you keep saying.
    Keep in mind this is just the beginning of a conversation, I am sure there are many suggestions that could be included.

I think EA would be surprised at how many devout 'builders only' they have :)
  • Options

@Oliana I think you are correct about:
    "I think EA would be surprised at how many devout 'builders only' they have!" They really need to give us more consideration!
    "The ability to have a raised foundation without it being completely built" something like this?....

OFL2WhU.png

I don't quite know how I did this!
  • Options

It's your choice, but requesting building items in a stuff pack is too small an idea we need a big fat EP :D for builders. Because we see they won't fix the icecream can to allow kids to use it once it's in a stuff pack, so broaden your request to ask for big things not small things like wall paper.[/quote]

EP, Yes! Big Fat EP!! Right you are!

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I'd like a builder's patch along with a builder's pack. It's a crucial area of the game they should spend a lot of development time improving.
  • Options
    @FoundMarbles Yes! Well, kinda lol But on purpose ;)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    You need a Create a World Tool as well :wink:

I know thatTS4 will never get CAW but if they listened on toddlers then surly they would realise that building is a big part of The Sims and would want to include something in the future :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    edited October 2017
    I suggested a builders pack 2 years ago. It fell on deaf ears. TS4 is not marketed for the builders....which is why they "simplified" the building process. As the months and years go by, and the original dedicated fan base begs and pleads for the missing essential items that made The Sims great, to be put back into the game....we are always ignored.

Because of the game engine they chose to use and limited specs so the game can still run on older computers and operating systems....it will never live up to the past versions. All the things we as Builders would like to have...require a brand new Sims game. The "gurus" are always saying that certain animations and objects are "just too hard" to make. I mean seriously... and lounge chair for the pool is "too hard". We have them in TS3. But for whatever reason...being time constraints, limitations with funding or the market they are now selling to....it doesn't matter. They have turned TS4 into a completely new game, and they don't care if builders are left out.

As long as someone is buying the game, and don't care about the limitation and eat up all the very very small SP, GP and EP's....they will continue to make less than exceptional content. And that is why I wont ever give them another dime for TS4. Even if they come up with a patch, or SP, or EP for builders....I can pretty much guarantee that it will be little to nothing. recolors of things already in the game, and maybe a couple of new things like roof patters, floors, walls. Nothing of what builders actually need to stay engaged and invested.

So I give up. I play TS3 to get my sims fix. And everything else I play is over on Steam. It's too bad really. They would have had all my money if TS4 had been just an extension of TS3....it had potential. Their loss.
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    thevogel wrote: »
    I suggested a builders pack 2 years ago. It fell on deaf ears. TS4 is not marketed for the builders....which is why they "simplified" the building process. As the months and years go by, and the original dedicated fan base begs and pleads for the missing essential items that made The Sims great, to be put back into the game....we are always ignored.

Because of the game engine they chose to use and limited specs so the game can still run on older computers and operating systems....it will never live up to the past versions. All the things we as Builders would like to have...require a brand new Sims game. The "gurus" are always saying that certain animations and objects are "just too hard" to make. I mean seriously... and lounge chair for the pool is "too hard". We have them in TS3. But for whatever reason...being time constraints, limitations with funding or the market they are now selling to....it doesn't matter. They have turned TS4 into a completely new game, and they don't care if builders are left out.

As long as someone is buying the game, and don't care about the limitation and eat up all the very very small SP, GP and EP's....they will continue to make less than exceptional content. And that is why I wont ever give them another dime for TS4. Even if they come up with a patch, or SP, or EP for builders....I can pretty much guarantee that it will be little to nothing. recolors of things already in the game, and maybe a couple of new things like roof patters, floors, walls. Nothing of what builders actually need to stay engaged and invested.

So I give up. I play TS3 to get my sims fix. And everything else I play is over on Steam. It's too bad really. They would have had all my money if TS4 had been just an extension of TS3....it had potential. Their loss.

That awkward moment when a content creator makes a functioning lounge chair. lol I saw that too, meanwhile I'm looking at the one I downloaded for my community pool. Granted it's not perfect in that the Sim will briefly walk through the end part to sit down like it's a normal chair, but they do recline with their feet up and chat with each other; which is pretty awesome that a creator did all that. Imagine what a gaming company could do with it.

But a builder's patch would be very useful to us. I get that would cost them money but these things would have most likely been in a base game if The Sims 4 was your standard Sims game, which it's not. This is very much a lite version and as mentioned by others, I truly believe this game engine has its limitations in comparison to previous versions. The previous versions got their own foundation from the ground up. TS4, at least to me, feels like a salvage piece; meaning it didn't get its own foundation from the ground up, but had a previous foundation converted to what it is today.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    edited October 2017
    Baenre wrote: »

That awkward moment when a content creator makes a functioning lounge chair. lol I saw that too, meanwhile I'm looking at the one I downloaded for my community pool. Granted it's not perfect in that the Sim will briefly walk through the end part to sit down like it's a normal chair, but they do recline with their feet up and chat with each other; which is pretty awesome that a creator did all that. Imagine what a gaming company could do with it.

But a builder's patch would be very useful to us. I get that would cost them money but these things would have most likely been in a base game if The Sims 4 was your standard Sims game, which it's not. This is very much a lite version and as mentioned by others, I truly believe this game engine has its limitations in comparison to previous versions. The previous versions got their own foundation from the ground up. TS4, at least to me, feels like a salvage piece; meaning it didn't get its own foundation from the ground up, but had a previous foundation converted to what it is today.

Agreed!!! It does feel salvaged. I think I read somewhere that TS4 was originally going to be somehow combined with SimsCity 2013. But when that fiasco happened, and they officially ruined that franchised.... They took what they had started making with TS4, and that's what we are now stuck with. Instead of going back to the drawing board, they just threw it together....and it shows.

Oh and I wasn't aware that a content creator made a pool lounger...that's awesome. I don't play the game anymore. I uninstalled it just after the City Living EP or whatever that was, came out. I just remember one of the gurus saying something about making those would be "too hard".

Really wish Paradox / Colossal order would make a sims game.
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    thevogel wrote: »
    Agreed!!! It does feel salvaged. I think I read somewhere that TS4 was originally going to be somehow combined with SimsCity 2013. But when that fiasco happened, and they officially ruined that franchised.... They took what they had started making with TS4, and that's what we are now stuck with. Instead of going back to the drawing board, they just threw it together....and it shows.

Oh and I wasn't aware that a content creator made a pool lounger...that's awesome. I don't play the game anymore. I uninstalled it just after the City Living EP or whatever that was, came out. I just remember one of the gurus saying something about making those would be "too hard".

Really wish Paradox / Colossal order would make a sims game.

That sounds like the same thing I read. The online aspect of the game is what I think compromised the engine, and transitioning it to an offline foundation unfortunately kept some of the restrictions. Whereas if they would have scrapped this and started from the ground up, the restrictions to accommodate online play wouldn't be there. But this is just me speculating so no one please take my thoughts as gospel. :)

With that, I don't see any kind of terrain manipulation coming in due to adding a variance of polycounts to each lot, and that would start to make the game very heavy in memory usage, etc. Going from flat (very low polycount) to curvature of any kind, can pile it on. (Again speculating). I would love curved walls and pools, etc, but again we're getting into sudden polycount weight. Yet at the same time you've got the curved foundations and the fencing that goes with it, so I'm not sure about why walls would be different in that aspect. Other requests that many of us have though, I think they can do with no added weight to the game. It's been a very long time since I worked in this field and I know development's come a long way since then, but the idea of memory weight (they probably call it something else in the US) still is a constant. And it seems there are memory parameters developers don't want, or can't go past. Kind of a memory allowance, regardless of what our personal machines can handle.

If anyone is curious about the lounge chairs that I've used, it's these ones:
    http://lunararcsimsstuff.blogspot.com/2015/07/luana-lounge-chair.html

Maybe this might inspire devs to go for it. ;)
  • Options

Is it still possible to purchase TS3?
  • Options
    LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    Is it still possible to purchase TS3?

Go on Steam and wait for a sale.