Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the point of decorations then?

Wondering who else has this same issue. I love decorating my sims homes as much as I can, and I made a nice combo of upper and lower kitchen cabinets. But the upper ones I can't see cause I play with the walls cutaway.

From what I can tell so far, I can only see wall decorations that are on the outer walls of my homes. Any other tricks to see them, even occasionally? Without having the walls up all the time.

Comments

• Options
    lisken0221lisken0221 Posts: 116 Member
    I make large open spaces, no walls between kitchen, dining, living room areas. And having nice outdoor spaces where my family can gather
    helps too.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited August 2017
    Wondering who else has this same issue. I love decorating my sims homes as much as I can, and I made a nice combo of upper and lower kitchen cabinets. But the upper ones I can't see cause I play with the walls cutaway.

From what I can tell so far, I can only see wall decorations that are on the outer walls of my homes. Any other tricks to see them, even occasionally? Without having the walls up all the time.

I know, its so irritating, Im about to complain about it too.
    Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Technically-speaking it is possible to hide a wall, but not any of the decorations on it - ie have them floating in mid-air.
  • Options
    SnazzySpike1SnazzySpike1 Posts: 380 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Technically-speaking it is possible to hide a wall, but not any of the decorations on it - ie have them floating in mid-air.

I'm confused. You can have walls hidden, but stuff like cupboards and paintings will still be there?
  • Options

I'm confused. You can have walls hidden, but stuff like cupboards and paintings will still be there?
    Yep.

It is not active in the game - but it is technically-possible.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I only decorate the outer walls, but sometimes inner walls in rooms so large I can leave the walls up.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Maybe a mod could un-hide objects on a wall.

There is a chance that a flag marks them as hidden or not - perhaps applied when a wall is hidden/shown.
  • Options

Yep.

Oh? How?
  • Options

Yep.

Oh? How?
    By unhiding the objects individually or as a group.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    For me the thought of having decorations hovering ghost like in the middle of nowhere seems more annoying then not being able to see them when the walls are down lol.

I mostly decorate so that when I take pictures it looks pretty and because it gives my sims a moodlet boost.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »
    For me the thought of having decorations hovering ghost like in the middle of nowhere seems more annoying then not being able to see them when the walls are down lol.

Same thoughts here.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    It would be an extra toggle though - so you would not have to have it that way.
  • Options

Yep.

Oh? How?

Do you click on the objects themselves? Cause I've looked for that in the game options but didn't see it.
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    Might be something you need to mod for? I know I downloaded some counters + cabinets yesterday that don't disappear with walls down.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Sometimes when you put new in-game created art & photographs they don't disappear even when the walls are down until you restart the game. It tends to seem to happen the most with new photographs at least in my game.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options

Yep.

Oh? How?

Do you click on the objects themselves? Cause I've looked for that in the game options but didn't see it.
    It is not a feature of the game - it is just technically possible.
  • Options

Yep.

Oh? How?

Wow for some reason I'm not getting this. Mod? Cheat? Camera angle? I'm not sure what you're suggesting to make it possible.
  • Options

Yep.

Oh? How?

Wow for some reason I'm not getting this. Mod? Cheat? Camera angle? I'm not sure what you're suggesting to make it possible.
    It is not a feature of the game - ie Maxis never put it in; however, it is possible to do - ie they could have allowed it - or could even patch it in.
  • Options
    It is probably possible to change wall transparency - ie alter the transparency of walls and objects to make them semi-transparent. So you can see the walls and objects, but also see through the walls.
  • Options
    Like this - sort of transparent:
    Trans_Ramp_Example.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The point of decorations is to slow your game down. The toilet tissue roll, the hamper, the fruit baskets, etc all do absolutely nothing but irritate me because they have no function.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i decorate because i take screenshots. i don't need them always visible, that'd be annoying.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited August 2017
    i decorate because i take screenshots. i don't need them always visible, that'd be annoying.

Well, not for me, I find it awkward that I cant and its not just seeing them. There should not be an entire room of the house with no walls, in cutaway mode. Its off putting and ruins the design for builders and people who do enjoy our sims houses
    @allisonchurch
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Do you really want to return to The Sims' cutaway walls? Do any of you remember how that worked. Inner walls stayed up until your Sim passed behind them (in a different room) then they were all popping up and down. I prefer the way it is for the last twelve years instead of the original way walls worked. But it would be nice to have TS2's camera angles so we could leave up the walls in TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Do you really want to return to The Sims' cutaway walls? Do any of you remember how that worked. Inner walls stayed up until your Sim passed behind them (in a different room) then they were all popping up and down. I prefer the way it is for the last twelve years instead of the original way walls worked. But it would be nice to have TS2's camera angles so we could leave up the walls in TS4.

I think it would be nice to have that option yes. Like I said I really like to decorate my sims homes with all sorts of stuff. But I'll just have to adjust my building skills so that the details are on the outer walls.