March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recreating favourite televisions shows.

BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
I am a huge coronation street fan (a british long running soap opera) so I am trying to recreate it in my game. As I cant make terraced houses I am using small lots close together and am going to move in some of my favourite characters from past and present. Was wondering what other players have recreated.

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,583 Member
    Hi :)

I've never re-created a TV show, I can't make them even stick to my own game story. :blush:

You should share some pictures! I'd love to see them. :)
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I've never re-created a TV show, I can't make them even stick to my own game story. :blush:

You should share some pictures! I'd love to see them. :)

Hi. :)

Unfortunately have had to put my Coronation Street project on hold as the laptop I play it on wont charge, am hoping its the charger and not the laptop.

Hopefully will have it working soon and will post some pictures. :)
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    Although I haven't gotten started yet, I want to try creating the Pickles house from Rugrats in The Sims 2. The problem will be mapping it out in my head, of course. And I'm not sure how to do a basement...
    Although I haven't gotten started yet, I want to try creating the Pickles house from Rugrats in The Sims 2. The problem will be mapping it out in my head, of course. And I'm not sure how to do a basement...

I usually map my houses on paper first to get an idea of sizes, squared paper is good for that. To make basements I found a tutorial on YouTube. Good luck with it and if you can post some pictures.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Basements are easy. Use the modular stairs to start on an open ground/vacant. Once you place the first step, where it flattened the land (one tile) place the next step, then do the same for the third set. (Basements need to be at least three step sets deep). Flatten out the area of the last step (it should be deeper than the first two sets. Then delete the first and second steps. From there you can make it as long or as wide as you like. You don't need to build a foundation around it but should if you want it to be under the house. No foundation if you want it to be to the side etc.

Then you just go around the 'ditch' with the foundation tool. Once you practice this stuff you will get the hang of it in no time, like thirty mintues.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,966 Member
    Not done one yet, but found the ground floor plans to Highclere Castle over the weekend in one of my Victorian architecture books. Now, if I can find the ones for the other two floors, and maybe basement...
    Not done one yet, but found the ground floor plans to Highclere Castle over the weekend in one of my Victorian architecture books. Now, if I can find the ones for the other two floors, and maybe basement...

A castle would be amazing. I love Victorian architecture especially the London style town houses.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,966 Member
    Both amazing and a challenge to build. The 'castle in a kit' EA provided ages ago via the store helps a lot, as does their small collection of furniture. To do it right requires CC, and how much of TS2 medieval is still out there is anyone's guess. Somewhere in an old save on an old machine is a small one complete with the keep, gatehouse, walls, towers, etc. Highclere is technically not a castle as it lacks defensive means and began life as an 18th century manor house, the current look being a Victorian makeover - something of a shell over the original. "Downton Abby" fans will recognize it immediately.

Am of like mind regarding the architecture, simply lovely inside and out. It was an era that put beauty and style first in their buildings. Am converting my sims neighborhoods bit by bit into Victorian ones, using period plans adapted to the limitations of Sims build mode. It is actually easier to build Victorian in the earlier TS2 rather than 4, 2 having many more period features & parts.