Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Store Expensive

Does anyone else think the sims 3 store needs to have prices dropped because i can't afford a world without paying 40$, And since sims 4 has been out for quite some time i don't see a reason for the store to be so expensive as if the sims 3 is still new plus there's no new content being put in the store so why keep it so expensive?

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I bought most of them through the Make Me An Offer Machine, which gave me a small discount. I got Sunlit Tides off the Daily Deal, which was a pretty good one IIRC. I got Roaring Heights and Dragon Valley on a 50% off Origin sale last year. Finally, I got HS and MV together in a bundle when that was 50% off. I think the only one I paid full price on was Midnight Hollow.

I agree, $40 is a bit much, but there are ways to pay less for most of the worlds.
  • Options
    VulnnVulnn Posts: 131 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I bought most of them through the Make Me An Offer Machine, which gave me a small discount. I got Sunlit Tides off the Daily Deal, which was a pretty good one IIRC. I got Roaring Heights and Dragon Valley on a 50% off Origin sale last year. Finally, I got HS and MV together in a bundle when that was 50% off. I think the only one I paid full price on was Midnight Hollow.

I agree, $40 is a bit much, but there are ways to pay less for most of the worlds.

I Literally couldn't find any deals to get any of the world's cheap :sweat:
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited June 2017
    i bought many of my store worlds years ago, before the bundles were a thing, and i own all standard versions except dragon valley and midnight hollow (my favourites).

i do think $40 is a bit on the high end, especially considering that the game is nearly 10 years old. but i've gotten my money's worth over the years.

as @TreyNutz mentioned, sunlit tides appears on the daily deal rotation: you can also get lucky palms, barnacle bay, and aurora skies through the make me an offer machine for a nice discount.

if you haven't already discovered it, this thread is a great way to get the most out of your simpoints.

an accident put me out of work 5 months ago and spending real money on the game isn't an option. but i've added so much stuff to my collection for free or very cheap just by stalking the specials in the above thread. i farm sp from ads (when they work, though they've been broken since the last maintenance) and have been using those to buy things.

you can also join up with the gifting directory: we send each other pretty things from the store (usually individual items or those from sets that are cys-eligible, in order to make them free on the dd); it's best to keep your wishlist to small items, as most of us are using farmed points; getting a world is a very rare occurrence, though i've seen it happen.

it's mostly the same crowd on both boards; we're pretty friendly, so feel free to stop in and say hi.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I wish they would drop the prices, the Sims 3 expansions on Origin are still £30 as they were in shops when I first bought a few of them many years ago :/
  • Options
    qtnikkiqtnikki Posts: 156 Member
    I would love for them to drop the prices as well so I'd be better inclined to buy more.
    Banner_zpshgf2chau.jpg
    Amateur Sim Stories
    Read more at Cosmic Sims
  • Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited June 2017
    One of the best places to complete your Sims 3 EP and SP collection these days is Steam. They frequently include all TS3 packs at BIG discounts in their major sales. :+1:

Unfortunately that doesn't help with Store content but it might ease the pain a little. :smiley:
  • Options
    Yoschi334Yoschi334 Posts: 99 Member

Yeah, Steam has nice sales. I bought all my Sims stuff there. Next sale is coming soon :)
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Seriously. I quit my job to return to school and there are still some worlds I want, but literally have no spending money anymore. I figured that maybe now that The Sims 4 has been out for like three years they'd start dropping the prices. I just want the Savvy Seller's collection. Sigh. Wish I had just forked out the money when I had it.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @BariSaxy I did the same as you, traded in my soul-destroying job for life as a broke university student a year ago.

I have almost no spare cash as it is. But I haven't been able to work since I broke my ankle over winter study break, so there's that. I own all the worlds, but there's still a massive chunk of the store I don't own and I wish I'd bought more stuff when I had $. I also regret paying full price for a lot of what I do have, now that I know about the DD rotation and CYS is a thing.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

• Options
    Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Well... Enabling CYS discount on all remaining store items... Putting for individual sale or bundle sale previous premium items (like the "Braaiinnzzz Arcade Machine" or "Bars & Bolts Table") would be easy way for Maxis to sell new stuff and increasing sales without the hassle of designing new content...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    @lauravonawesome @BariSaxy I've been back in school for about three years now, "living" off student grants and loans and part time side jobs... Actually, "living" here might be an overstatement...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    @Lexers615 I get what you mean~ even when I was working (before my injury), all of my spare $ went to gas money for my commutes to and from school.

• Options
    If you buy a sims 3 game on steam then how does origin react to that
  • Options
    Vulnn wrote: »

Origin, being more or less a firm of EA, doesn't care much as they still make a large profit...
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    Lexers615 wrote: »

Origin, being more or less a firm of EA, doesn't care much as they still make a large profit...

Does origin identify it and allow me to download it from origin after steam?
  • Options

I do not personnally know for sure but from the comments steam based player said, no you can't... A steam code used on steam can't then be used on Origin....
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options

Hi, not quite sure what you want to download through Origin after you've bought TS3 on Steam. Anyway, in case these offer any information that is useful to you:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15858512#Comment_15858512 - you may find it much simpler to buy everything in a Steam sale (especially as EA don't put TS3 on sale anymore!) but it appears that you do get Origin codes with a Steam purchase so could continue to use Origin. I believe you will need to have bought the base game on Steam before you can buy any other packs on Steam?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Steam-VS-Origin-VS-Discs/td-p/3135440 - the 'official' help page for Steam and Origin issues.

Apart from not needing to use Origin, one key benefit of installing and using the Steam version is that it is still on patch 1.67 so you don't have any of the problems that are part of the pack selector that came in 1.69. :)

• Options
    ajaxpost wrote: »

Hi, not quite sure what you want to download through Origin after you've bought TS3 on Steam. Anyway, in case these offer any information that is useful to you:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15858512#Comment_15858512 - you may find it much simpler to buy everything in a Steam sale (especially as EA don't put TS3 on sale anymore!) but it appears that you do get Origin codes with a Steam purchase so could continue to use Origin. I believe you will need to have bought the base game on Steam before you can buy any other packs on Steam?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Steam-VS-Origin-VS-Discs/td-p/3135440 - the 'official' help page for Steam and Origin issues.

Apart from not needing to use Origin, one key benefit of installing and using the Steam version is that it is still on patch 1.67 so you don't have any of the problems that are part of the pack selector that came in 1.69. :)

So i could download a sims 3 stuff pack on steam and origin would add that to the games i already own in origin and be able to download it from origin with the rest of my games?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

So i could download a sims 3 stuff pack on steam and origin would add that to the games i already own in origin and be able to download it from origin with the rest of my games?

Not exactly. If you purchase a pack (EP or SP) on Steam you'll get CD Keys in your Steam library for those packs. You can register those on Origin and then download and install through Origin. I've one this for most of the SPs I own (and many of the EPs as well). You'll need to own the base game from Steam before Steam will sell you DLC (i.e. the EPs and SPs), but you don't need to install anything other than the Steam client (edit: to get the CD Keys). If you are going with an Origin install (or already have an Origin install) you should NOT install any packs through Steam because you cannot mix Steam and Origin installs; just register the CD Keys (edit: that you get from purchasing from Steam) with Origin and install through Origin.

edited for clarity.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options

Not exactly. If you purchase a pack (EP or SP) on Steam you'll get CD Keys in your Steam library for those packs. You can register those on Origin and then download and install through Origin. I've one this for most of the SPs I own (and many of the EPs as well). You'll need to own the base game from Steam before Steam will sell you DLC (i.e. the EPs and SPs), but you don't need to install anything other than the Steam client. If you are going with an Origin install (or already have an Origin install) you should NOT install any packs through Steam because you cannot mix Steam and Origin installs; just register the CD Keys with Origin and install through Origin.

Oh that sucks :(, I thought i could finish my collection of 3 stuff packs
  • Options

If you are going with an Origin install (or already have an Origin install) you should NOT install any packs through Steam because you cannot mix Steam and Origin installs; just register the CD Keys with Origin and install through Origin.

Oh that plum :(, I thought i could finish my collection of 3 stuff packs
    I stand by for correction but if I understand the process correctly, what I believe @TreyNutz is saying is that you cannot install the extra DLC through Steam but you can buy DLC from Steam and then use the Origin key that comes with it to register and download through Origin.

Or I could be completely wrong. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I stand by for correction but if I understand the process correctly, what I believe @TreyNutz is saying is that you cannot install the extra DLC through Steam but you can buy DLC from Steam and then use the Origin key that comes with it to register and download through Origin.

No, you are not wrong. You have it right.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. You can finish off your collection on the next Steam sale if you want. You can mix Steam and Origin purchases, but to do so you have to register everything on Origin and install via Origin. You cannot do the reverse (register Origin purchases on Steam to install through Steam). And you cannot mix Steam and Origin TS3 installs. That is, you cannot install some backs from Steam and other packs from Origin. That won't work. You can buy from both services, but only if you install everything through Origin.

I have purchased TS3 packs from both services, registered all my Steam purchases with Origin and installed everything through Origin. Works fine.
  • Options

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. You can finish off your collection on the next Steam sale if you want. You can mix Steam and Origin purchases, but to do so you have to register everything on Origin and install via Origin. You cannot do the reverse (register Origin purchases on Steam to install through Steam). And you cannot mix Steam and Origin TS3 installs. That is, you cannot install some backs from Steam and other packs from Origin. That won't work. You can buy from both services, but only if you install everything through Origin.

I have purchased TS3 packs from both services, registered all my Steam purchases with Origin and installed everything through Origin. Works fine.

Im ages late but i dont got to buy sims 3 on steam to buy packs on steam?
  • Options

You need to buy (or own) the base game from Steam before Steam will sell you EPs/SPs. I believe that's true for every game Steam sells.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    It's not as bad as you might think. I've seen several Steam sales where everything from Sims 3 went on sale for $5 each.

So, let's say you're missing 2 EPs and 3 SPs. You would buy the base game for $5, then each of those DLCs for $5 ($25). So for a total of $30, you've just purchased 2 EPs and 3 SPs, which you can then activate on Origin.

Even if all you are missing is one EP, you will pay only $10 ($5 for the EP, $5 for the base game), as compared to... what are they, $20 normally?

Still a big savings, even with having to buy the base game again.

I'll admit this doesn't help with the store. I got the store for almost nothing, and I helped my best friend get the store for nothing, using the DD, MMAO, and the ads that used to give points on the site. Until they fix the ads, though, you would need to buy simpoints; there's no way around that, unfortunately.