Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Set the table

I would love this feature so much more if it worked the way I wanted it to! The idea of it is cute, but it doesn't matter if no one can even wait for dinner to be served and help themselves to food from the fridge. It bugs me so much ;( I wish sims would realize that someone is already cooking and wait for their food, like they did in 2 (sometimes they would even sit at the table and wait to be served). Has anyone found a way to deal with this and have a successful family dinner, without resorting to turning off autonomy?

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I get the Sims to do something while they wait, usually watch a movie together or work on something.

If they have nothing to do, they will start filling their needs. If Hunger is the worst, that's what they'll do.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    For me, making meals ahead of time and putting them in the fridge works fairly well. When one or more get hungry, I tell each one to go get a plate and they take it to the table to eat.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited June 2017
    I know what you mean. I miss the "waiting for food" from TS2. I also wish someone could serve a dish of food to someone else. Like if mom's cooking and the family is sitting at the table, she could put a plate of food in front of each person before grabbing a plate for herself. Instead, it's an unorganized feeding frenzy. At least setting the table is a step in the right direction.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    @jackjack_k Oh, that's a good idea actually, I have never thought of that! I appreciate the tip, thank you! :)

@Dannydanbo This is a really good suggestion too, would be especially helpful for breakfast, thanks!

@SageRainWillow Yes! This is probably one of my most missed things from 2, silly as it might sound lol. I hope it makes a return.

@OEII1001 Pretty! Looks like something you'd really see at a wedding. Is that the fancy table setting? I've only seen the casual so far.
  • Options
    joseandchocolatejoseandchocolate Posts: 321 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I love the table settings. Just had a wedding and I have never had a table look so good.
    table_zpsnuf74juu.jpg
    Magnificent.

that looks beautiful 10/10
    8d90c06c58195513b2df4fb82cf0ebb5.png
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://bit.ly/2ssq3Gk
    Follow me on Twitter http://bit.ly/2sYEob0
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Am getting the impression from the above that they are trying to reinvent the wheel, instead of simply taking what worked in Sims2, translating the code into Sims4 code and going with it. At least an attempt was made.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    @jackjack_k Oh, that's a good idea actually, I have never thought of that! I appreciate the tip, thank you! :)

@Dannydanbo This is a really good suggestion too, would be especially helpful for breakfast, thanks!

@SageRainWillow Yes! This is probably one of my most missed things from 2, silly as it might sound lol. I hope it makes a return.

@OEII1001 Pretty! Looks like something you'd really see at a wedding. Is that the fancy table setting? I've only seen the casual so far.

It is the Border option under Fancy. It really makes the table.
  • Options
    janineisabawsjanineisabaws Posts: 668 Member
    @SageRainWillow Although it definitely takes a bit more time, what I've been doing now is using the "Pick Up Serving" feature and then manually setting the table by dragging the plates onto it myself. Then I have each sim select their plate and eat from it :)
    Check out my youtube channel!
    MlaomyAh.jpg
  • Options
    @SageRainWillow Although it definitely takes a bit more time, what I've been doing now is using the "Pick Up Serving" feature and then manually setting the table by dragging the plates onto it myself. Then I have each sim select their plate and eat from it :)

Yes! I do this too! I just wish there was a way to grab the toddler-specific foods without them dragging the kid immediately to the high chair. Let me just set the table and get everything ready first!

• Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Well what I do is use at least the six seat table, (four seat too small) and place the platter of food in the middle. Have the sims sit down and take a serving usually they all do just that and not wander off, because they are all present. Otherwise they go off to eat and watch t.v or find another sim to eat with.
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Yes! I do this too! I just wish there was a way to grab the toddler-specific foods without them dragging the kid immediately to the high chair. Let me just set the table and get everything ready first!
    If you select "give food" from the high chair, the sim should make the food and place it on the high chair first and then they go get the toddler. Once they start making the food, you can cancel that item from the queue and the food will be placed on the high chair but they won't put the toddler in the chair. When you've got everything else ready, you can then have the sim put the toddler in the high chair. Caveat....if the toddler is really hungry, you might have to keep an eye out to make sure they don't go over and swipe the food off the high chair.

I used this method extensively to feed a fussy little brat that was driving me nuts, lol. While he continued to misbehave, I would feel him only peas and I wouldn't let him eat at the table with the rest of the family. So I'd click on the high chair to have the sims make the peas, cancel that out as soon as they started placing the food and then I'd drag the peas over to the floor somewhere and make the toddler go eat his peas off by himself, haha. After a few sim days, his thinking was leveled up and he stopped misbehaving and eating for him went back to normal.

• Options
    JimG72 wrote: »
    If you select "give food" from the high chair, the sim should make the food and place it on the high chair first and then they go get the toddler. Once they start making the food, you can cancel that item from the queue and the food will be placed on the high chair but they won't put the toddler in the chair. When you've got everything else ready, you can then have the sim put the toddler in the high chair. Caveat....if the toddler is really hungry, you might have to keep an eye out to make sure they don't go over and swipe the food off the high chair.

I used this method extensively to feed a fussy little brat that was driving me nuts, lol. While he continued to misbehave, I would feel him only peas and I wouldn't let him eat at the table with the rest of the family. So I'd click on the high chair to have the sims make the peas, cancel that out as soon as they started placing the food and then I'd drag the peas over to the floor somewhere and make the toddler go eat his peas off by himself, haha. After a few sim days, his thinking was leveled up and he stopped misbehaving and eating for him went back to normal.

I've done that before, but I swear my sims like to do actions I've cancelled. Tonight I've have to double-cancel a multitude of actions. I don't know why that is. If it keeps up, I'm taking away their free will lol.

• Options
    edited June 2017

I've done that before, but I swear my sims like to do actions I've cancelled. Tonight I've have to double-cancel a multitude of actions. I don't know why that is. If it keeps up, I'm taking away their free will lol.

LOL...and it may not work as well now since the last patch...haven't tried it since then...haven't needed to put any toddlers on a steady punishment diet of peas only in awhile, haha.

Now that I think about it, I probably paused and cancelled it from both the adult sim and also the toddler's queue. Toddlers tend to trump everyone....if they want it, doggonit, it's getting done!
  • Options
    LadyLana1LadyLana1 Posts: 308 Member
    Ohh got trouble with this too! Especially when there are a few tables in the house. They usually ignore the table that is set in the kitchen and walk (on a 64x64 lot :D) to the table furthest away. Takes them ages hehe. Oh well, the luxury life...guess they need the extra exercise a bit of walking gives lol
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I know what you mean. I miss the "waiting for food" from TS2. I also wish someone could serve a dish of food to someone else. Like if mom's cooking and the family is sitting at the table, she could put a plate of food in front of each person before grabbing a plate for herself. Instead, it's an unorganized feeding frenzy. At least setting the table is a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, in my game I send Mama to fix the meal. She ends up standing there eating. Sometimes, she puts the finished meal in the fridge! Guess she needs a bit of a break. I have a mod so she has seven children under her roof, plus a hubby to contend with. LOL But, she's got some parental moxi going. I think she's already at level 9! Dealing with three teens will do that to you, I guess. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JimG72 wrote: »

LOL...and it may not work as well now since the last patch...haven't tried it since then...haven't needed to put any toddlers on a steady punishment diet of peas only in awhile, haha.

Now that I think about it, I probably paused and cancelled it from both the adult sim and also the toddler's queue. Toddlers tend to trump everyone....if they want it, doggonit, it's getting done!

I have modded toddler food that sounds and looks much tastier than bland peas. The benefit is tot foods have much fewer calories. Which helps my teens from becoming obese upon aging lol.

• Options

Unfortunately, in my game I send Mama to fix the meal. She ends up standing there eating. Sometimes, she puts the finished meal in the fridge! Guess she needs a bit of a break. I have a mod so she has seven children under her roof, plus a hubby to contend with. LOL But, she's got some parental moxi going. I think she's already at level 9! Dealing with three teens will do that to you, I guess. LOL

I have MCCC which allows bigger families, but I've never tried it. My parents of twin tots are just about to reach level 9. They crammed with the books while she was still pregnant, and now they still potty train the tots, even though both kids have maxed the skill. Potty training, bathing, and reading to sleep are easy ways to get parenting skill.

I've got risky woohoo enabled, so who knows when they might be "blessed" with more kids.

• Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    The set table command has gotten rid of sims standing in front of the fridge and eating (which prevented other sims from grabbing food from the fridge). Now they just get the food and actually sit down at their place setting. But I have to use the fancy setting with the cutlery because with the plain setting you can't tell if the dish needs cleaning or not. When my sim finishes eating it's easy to just reset her place for the next time.
  • Options
    I have modded toddler food that sounds and looks much tastier than bland peas.

That's why it is the "punishment" food for misbehaving toddlers, haha....."Go sit in the corner and sit on the floor and eat your bowl of bland peas by yourself while the rest of us converse and enjoy our delicious family dinner!"
  • Options
    CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    LadyLana1 wrote: »
    Ohh got trouble with this too! Especially when there are a few tables in the house. They usually ignore the table that is set in the kitchen and walk (on a 64x64 lot :D) to the table furthest away. Takes them ages hehe. Oh well, the luxury life...guess they need the extra exercise a bit of walking gives lol
    It helps if you click which table to press, unless you're doing that, then that's weird lol
    I wish we could press a table and an option to "have table set by.." existed
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    the neat teen in my boarding house sets the tables on her own all the time. there's a little 4 person table in a corner of the kitchen, meant for quick meals or such and then a bigger one for a full household in the actual dining room. and, usually before i can even consider having one of the others set a table, she's got both of them covered... which doesn't make it easy trying to get everyone to sit together in the dining room, since they want to go to the nearest place setting
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    I still haven't worked out how to do the "set table" command. Can someone please tell me?
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    FKM100 wrote: »
    I still haven't worked out how to do the "set table" command. Can someone please tell me?

It should be available when you click on a table
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you can click the dining table and can pick 'set table', 3 different options come up if you select that, 'formal', 'casual', and 'party', i believe. each one of those has several suboptions.

or, if your active sim is currently the caregiver, they should be able to force or influence one of the kids/teens to set the table, and that sim will randomly pick one of the options. and, if you have multiple dining tables, will randomly select one of those to set.