Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to reinstall but avoid the last update patch for launcher?

I have 2 computers both had sims 3 installed however one of my computers crashed and games need to be reinstalled now. In the past i avoided the last patch update for launcher i like my launcher the old way.
But now that games need to be reinstalled will it force me to get new launcher or is there a way i can keep old launcher?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    There are three ways to reinstall and stay on Patch 1.67.

1 - Use all discs, with the base game disc in particular manufactured before Sept. 2012. Turn down all offers to have the EA Download Manager (Origin's predecessor) or Origin take over; Origin should not be part of this process at all. Once you introduce any EP/SP digitally by way of an Origin install, you will be on Patch 1.69 with no choices offered. The same with the newer than 2012 base game discs (the ages of the EP/SP discs don't matter). When finished, use the EA Super Patcher to patch up to 1.67 as Launcher run patches are not as reliable.
    https://help.ea.com/en/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/the-sims-3-super-patcher

Note that once you are on 1.69, the Super Patcher should not be run in an attempt to downpatch as that would break the Origin controlled install.

2 - Repurchase the Steam version of everything and install that. There is no 1.69 for Steam.

3 - Buy a Mac and play the Mac version of the game. There is no 1.69 for TS3 for Mac. (but that's obviously not practical for many and the Mac version of the game has other issues that players on Windows do not have to face)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    lightnin-fantasylightnin-fantasy Posts: 231 Member
    I have all games on disc but after 2012 i believe and unfortunatly they all come with origin.

I do have them on another computer aswell but i have always turned off automatic updating and never let origin do last update.

I was hoping i could just copy my sims 3 folder from other computer and swap it out with the folder this one installs and maybe that would work since my other computer is running on 1:67
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    For Option (1), it's the age of the base game disc only that matters, not the age of the EP/SPs. The older ones came in cases with green and white lettering and around 50 sims on the cover -- these are the ones for which option (1) above will work. The newer ones came in cases that are white with only 5 sims on the cover, most of them say "Going Social!" at the top. These are the ones for which (1) will not work because they require Origin to manage their installation.

No, you cannot copy Program Files from one computer to another and expect them to work. That's not how programs are installed. You can copy the TS3 user game folder, the one in Documents, across computers (or elements of it like content, mods, and saved games), but that has nothing to do with patch levels. The game, its patch levels, and its DRM are firmly embedded in the Windows Registry and need to be for the game to function at all on any patch level.

Many, many have come before you and tried methods other than the above to stay off of Patch 1.69 when doing a "new" install or reinstall. They don't work. There was a trick involving uninstalling and reinstalling the base game only that did work for a while, but EA locked that down in Jan 2016. You can read the same information and more on our site if you like.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Patch+1.69

I've been on 1.69 with the required Origin tie-in myself since last summer. I've got to say that I don't like it, but for most of us it's not fatal and the game still functions exactly the same on either patch level (provided we can get it started up, of course) because the 1.69 patch did not change anything about the game files themselves other than their internal build number.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    lightnin-fantasylightnin-fantasy Posts: 231 Member
    Well I have never tried the newest patch I do know I always want to run with all my expansions and store stuff without having to pick and choose so that stinks but my base game is on disc its just the 2013 starter pack grouped with late night and high end stuff.

And I have heard the sims 3 store doesn't work with newest patch either. :'(
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I always play with all packs (I have all but 2 of the SPs). But yes, we do have to make sure on each startup that all of them are listed and checked off, that's part of the joy of 1.69 -- I mean part of what I don't like, but one gets used to it after a while.

The store works on both patch levels. It gets flaky, breaks down, EA repairs things, etc., but both patch levels are considered current for store content when things are working as they are supposed to on the EA side.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    @igazor The Sims 3 Collector's Edition is pre-2012, correct?
  • Options
    slynnski wrote: »
    Man, there's too many combinations out there so I had to look this one up. This was the one in the all green case that was the base game only plus a novelty flash drive? If so, then yes as it was released in 2009.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    slynnski wrote: »
    Man, there's too many combinations out there so I had to look this one up. This was the one in the all green case that was the base game only plus a novelty flash drive? If so, then yes as it was released in 2009.

Haha, yes, that's the one. I just wasn't sure if the Collector's Edition was still being manufactured after 2012, but I'm pretty sure they discontinued it before then.

I am looking into buying all the discs because 1.69 has literally ruined my game and I don't want to rely on/wait for EA to fix it. I'm looking on ebay. Do the discs have to be new or can they be used?
  • Options
    I think the problem with used discs is that they cannot be registered so that could present an issue when using store content. But you already have all of these things registered another way, so this might really be a non-issue.

I'm kind of leaning in this direction myself with my all-Origin install just to put an end to the annoyances, but will probably switch over to Steam the next time they have one of their 80% off everything sales.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    lisalittlesimmerlisalittlesimmer Posts: 404 Member
    What's wrong with 1.69? I would like to start playing the sims 3 again, but I would like to know what's the problem first :D
    My lot showcase
    Origin ID: lisalittlesimmer
    K5IURhP.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    What's wrong with 1.69? I would like to start playing the sims 3 again, but I would like to know what's the problem first :D
    First of all, unlike any other TS3 patch, it adds nothing to game play. The game core and patch files are identical between 1.67 and 1.69 except for the build number.

Many (most?) players will have no problems with it whatsoever.

But Patch 1.69
    -- Forces the player to startup up through Origin with a handoff to the Launcher. No more shortcuts or Launcher bypasses.
    -- Breaks core mods, but there are only five of them in current usage and most of them have 1.69-friendly updates now.
    -- Breaks third party tools like EasyCASP Editor (some of the others like Crash Log Analyzer have been fixed up, CC Magic still works but it can't be used to start up the game).
    -- Causes the game to be unplayable if the player has no Internet connection at the time of startup and didn't know this was going to happen beforehand so they could arrange for Playing Offline in advance.

And most of us could live with most of these annoyances if the freakin' thing didn't keep breaking down all over the place, "forgetting" which EP/SPs we want in play (most often many of us want all of them that we have installed and don't want to be told otherwise), and dropping some of them completely so they can't even be loaded up as some players are now experiencing since the most recent Origin update. I actually don't care, EA can arrange its DRM any way it sees fit. But to have thrust this thing on players with all-Origin installs, mixed disc-Origin, and all-disc installs that rely on Origin because the base game disc was a later vintage without better testing and recourse for players when it breaks down is shameful. It's been a year and half now since its release and these things are still driving players up the wall.

If Steam operated this way, they would be out of business by now. :angry:
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    I think the problem with used discs is that they cannot be registered so that could present an issue when using store content. But you already have all of these things registered another way, so this might really be a non-issue.

I'm kind of leaning in this direction myself with my all-Origin install just to put an end to the annoyances, but will probably switch over to Steam the next time they have one of their 80% off everything sales.

Yeah I already have everything bought and installed through Origin and registered here on my Sims 3 account/My Page. Plus all of my store content is already downloaded and backed up onto an external hard drive, so I think it would be a non-issue.

But just in case, I'm going to get a brand new factory sealed base game. The expansions/stuff packs shouldn't matter if they are new or used then.

• Options
    lisalittlesimmerlisalittlesimmer Posts: 404 Member
    @igazor I actually played the game after the patch, but I didn't know about Origin forgetting your games, I thought it worked just finde. Well, I can easily get my hands on an older base game disc, I guess I should do that :) thank you!
    My lot showcase
    Origin ID: lisalittlesimmer
    K5IURhP.jpg
  • Options

1.69 introduces a new 'feature' to the launcher where you can check and uncheck which expansions you want to play at a time. Fine in theory. My problem with 1.69 is that after the last Origin update a few days ago, the launcher is now saying I do not have University Life installed, when I actually do. So since the launcher thinks I don't have University Life installed, it doesn't show up in my game at all even though all of the files are on my computer. Repairing game, uninstalling and reinstalling Origin, uninstalling and reinstalling University Life, and clearing IE caches have done nothing for me. EA says they are going to look into the issue for me and get back to me, but I frankly have little confidence in them.

Yes, it's only one EP. But, it is my favorite EP and without it makes the game unenjoyable for me.

People also dislike 1.69 because it forces you into using Origin and the launcher to run the game. So hence, when issues like mine arise, there is no way around it (like running the game straight from the executable file) except to wait for Big Brother EA to come along and allow you to play your game normally again. Which I find unacceptable because of all of the money I have put into this game, it should be mine legally and I shouldn't have to deal with issues like this in the first place.

Looks like I will be dumping another $200 or so into this game, and then I'm done with EA. Period.