Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use imaginary friends?

Comments

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I have never been able to turn one into a "real live sim!". My sim will have the necessary skill and the means but I never get the option to do so. Is it because I play with aging off?
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited March 2017
    I have never been able to turn one into a "real live sim!". My sim will have the necessary skill and the means but I never get the option to do so. Is it because I play with aging off?

It doesn't have to be by opportunity - if your child sim and their IF are very close, the ability to turn real should appear as an option when you click on them - don't remember which menu it's under but... if you have the chemistry table and your child sim has skilled up on it, they will have discovered the Metamorphis or whatever it's called potion. Select make IF real, they drink potion and boom - they are real. The opportunity route requires a rainbow gem... the chemistry table is easier :)

Edit: I just re-read your post... you said you didn't get the option, not that you didn't get the opportunity. My bad. :)
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2017
    I quite Like the overall idea of IF, and I have used them quite a lot: one of my best sims couple was a IF and the girl who made him real: they didn'even had the attraction moodlet, but I could't stop them kissing and flirting! I was basically forced to marry those two!!! :D
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Your toddler has to play with them a lot. I believe it needs two notifications to be assured they'll get alive when your toddler turns into a kid.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2017
    Forgot to add some things: There are things I don't like about the IF: one is, as others have said, is the default look o(or pudding face) all the IF have. I always change their faces when they became human. Expecially if they have the "Total black" eyes: I change it to dark grey/brown or others colours.
    I don't like that the doll appear to all Kids - thanks mods- and I would like a way For the adults of the house to have the chance to adopt the human IF. I had once a...ehm, embarassing problem with the mum of the family becaming attracted with the kid she raised and it was...awkard... :s

Otherwise, I liked them.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member

The first time I got it to work with the Chemistry table my sim was an adult and his IF had run off around town. It took me ages to find him and that was after the ages it took to make the potion. Then when the IF finally came home my Sim had to talk to him for a long time - it seemed like forever - before he would drink the potion. They had to be friends at least. Then the IF drank the potion - I think it took a few Sims days all up - and he became real.

Percy008.jpg

PercyAndBobo003.jpg

PercyAndBobo004.jpg

PercyAndBobo005.jpg

This is the IF I posted pictures of earlier getting married. He has a lot of lovely traits and is loyal and took great care of his son when his first wife ran off with another sim and left him to raise their son Harry alone. I wasn't playing their household but whenever Bob wasn't out working on his ghost hunter career he went everywhere with Harry.

Much later when Harry was turning into a teen I started controlling Bob again and found he'd found himself a new love interest and they are devoted to each other so I gave them a wedding. I haven't played them since. They are just living quietly together in Sunlit Tides now in my Big Game with Sims living in numerous different worlds. Using NRAAS Traveler mod to achieve this.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I brough to life one IF by the way, a very long time ago (when Generations just had been released).

kobayne000365-1.jpg

kobayne000366-1.jpg

kobayne000367-1.jpg

Sacha00072.jpg

Last time I saw her was when my heir's sister (the one she had belonged to) paid her a maternity visit.

Sacha00087.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited March 2017
    Surreal wrote: »

It doesn't have to be by opportunity - if your child sim and their IF are very close, the ability to turn real should appear as an option when you click on them - don't remember which menu it's under but... if you have the chemistry table and your child sim has skilled up on it, they will have discovered the Metamorphis or whatever it's called potion. Select make IF real, they drink potion and boom - they are real. The opportunity route requires a rainbow gem... the chemistry table is easier :)

Edit: I just re-read your post... you said you didn't get the option, not that you didn't get the opportunity. My bad. :)

I was trying to it with my adult sim, I never realized the child could get skilled up to make the potion as well. I'll try again with the child. Maybe he will get the opportunity.
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited March 2017
    I love the doll but I am half okay and half disagree with the idea. IF should be imaginative for looners sims even for adults for instance and for children. Not for teenagers . It should not be given automatically .

However I love Generations, this because of the EP I play the sims 3. However as all the sims ep it lacks a lot of stuffs that the devs didn't add or didn't dig .
    <3
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    Surreal wrote: »

I was trying to it with my adult sim, I never realized the child could get skilled up to make the potion as well. I'll try again with the child. Maybe he will get the opportunity.

It isn't an opportunity. Once your sim and the IF are friends the IF will take the potion when it is offered and drink it. If they are not friends the IF won't take the potion and drink it.
  • Options
    LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I've had only one IF that I turned real. I was feeling quirky and named her Jelly Bean. I tweaked her facial features a bit so that she wouldn't look so pudding faced and she turned out pretty. She went on to marry one of the sims in my family I was playing at the time and they had four kids I believe. I think I have her for download on my simpage. But after that, I kinda stopped paying attention to them and cheating to delete them or passing them on to the parents. But I've always been pretty neutral towards them.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't use them (and I use Generations a lot, in genral). I saw some review that says they are "activated" only if when the baby is born, you recieve the present from the mailbox. the solution is easy - don't accept suspicious presents from unknown senders:)
    I had some toddlers that played with it and I got rid of it at the same time, it was annoying. I would not like my sim-kids to grow with it, and definitely not to drag it until adulthood.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I saw some review that says they are "activated" only if when the baby is born, you recieve the present from the mailbox. the solution is easy - don't accept suspicious presents from unknown senders:)

It doesn't work because if your sim receives bills, a certificate or anything else in the mailbox and opens it, the doll will automatically be transferred to the baby's inventory, and you know it happened only when you see the toddler playing with the doll or when you get notifications about the doll and the toddler making friends. I've even seen times where it was transferred automatically, maybe it was Overwatch that did it - @igazor Can Overwatch automatically empty mailboxes ? And I also think I've seen it happen when sims travel or move and the mailbox must be emptied.
    Anyway, safer option : get the doll, put it in family inventory and let it there forever, or give it as a gift to an adult and goodbye Chucky.
  • Options
    I'm so glad I've never watched horror movies - I can enjoy so many things in life that so many others find gory and repulsive. For example, Clowns and Imaginary Friends. All babies born in my games get IFs because I set the mod to 100% chance of them getting one.
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,095 Member
    They kind of look like clowns and I love horror and gore. Storytelling is my main reason for using them while they're in doll form..gather a whole bunch of them together on one lot for creepy Valley of the Dolls remake.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2017
    I can easily see the "creepy" factor but I actually have no problem with their look and how they act. It's what I sad before... (in my opinion) after they get their human form they become sort of useless to me. In the LEPacy challenge I'm playing when I unlock Generations I will be turning one real because the point of the challenge is to try new things. Well I've only played them once or twice and this was years ago.

It's great to see they aren't totally hated by all and some of you do enjoy them.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Never, I'm ready to orphanize the kid and send them to some annoying relative/family enemy, then to make them bring the imaginary doll to life. (I've made them disappointed).
  • Options
    wapakkwapakk Posts: 12 New Member
    I used to marry imaginary friends off to my sims but for some reason, all of them have bland pudding faces-_-.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I dont have any real complaints about them. I find them kind of useful, especially if a child wants to do things that require another sim, like win a game, and there is no other sim to participate.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think they are a bit creepy. But I love the idea of them as I think it's normal for a lot of kids.
    My current family in game, the toddler has one, I can't seem to get rid of it? Tried taking it out the inventory, doesn't seem to be working? Am I stuck with it?
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    @MidnightAura - normally, if you take it out of the inventory of the child and put it into the inventory of an adult sim, or the family inventory, it shouldn´t return to the toddler.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think they are a bit creepy. But I love the idea of them as I think it's normal for a lot of kids.
    My current family in game, the toddler has one, I can't seem to get rid of it? Tried taking it out the inventory, doesn't seem to be working? Am I stuck with it?

It's been awhile since I've done this (I now use mods so no IF shows up in my game) but with testingcheatsenabled true either ctrl-shift click, shift click or cntrl click (don't remember which combo I usually end up trying them all :) ) on the IF doll that has been placed on the ground. You should get an object menu that has an option to delete it. Don't remember if this can be done in live play or if you need to be in build/buy. Sorry the details are so fuzzy.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I could be mistaken, but I believe deleting it is a bad idea, as its not just an object, its a sim. So its like deleting a sim, you don't actually get rid of it, just the physical part. It still has scripts firing etc. or, it still exists.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It won't let me sell it, nor will it let me place it in the household inventory but I have put it in an adult inventory and the child seems to have forgotten about it.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I could be mistaken, but I believe deleting it is a bad idea, as its not just an object, its a sim. So its like deleting a sim, you don't actually get rid of it, just the physical part. It still has scripts firing etc. or, it still exists.

You may be right, although I had no problem in the past when I deleted it. I would delete them as soon as they showed up in the mail so they never became animated.