Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ren Faire Game Pack

I was thinking about how the game packs have a central theme and was thinking about medieval/historical challenges at the same time, so I came up with this idea. I think a renaissance fair game pack could be a lot of fun. It would bring medieval themed items into the game without conflicting with the modern aspects of the game and it would add to the already existing festival system we got in City Living. I'm already imagining food stands with enormous turkey legs.

Any thoughts? What other things could be in a pack like this?

Comments

• Options
    megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    Well, if there were pets....maybe horses for jousting! Wishful thinking? Perhaps. :p
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'd like that! In TS3 I built a world that had a historical area and I treated it like a cross between a museum, heritage site, and ren faire. I had a festival lot so I could have different events, an alchemy building, stables, a pub, and a blacksmiths. Oh, and a castle of course!

I think that the way TS4 is coded it would be possible to have a medieval style world roughly the size of Granite Falls or Forgotten Hollow, and have inactive visiting Sims switch into appropriate clothing when in that setting. So that the features don't spill out into other worlds unless the player wants them. And the theme of 'ren faire' means that more modern features, like phones, aren't too much of an issue.

I really liked TSM and I could definitely use a lot of the features in my main game. I'd love a blacksmith career! And pottery!
  • Options
    AflutterAflutter Posts: 139 Member
    megiare wrote: »
    Well, if there were pets....maybe horses for jousting! Wishful thinking? Perhaps. :p

Yes, jousting with horses could be fun. Along the pets angle, TSM had falcons and parrots that could hunt for food or treasure.
  • Options
    I'd like that! In TS3 I built a world that had a historical area and I treated it like a cross between a museum, heritage site, and ren faire. I had a festival lot so I could have different events, an alchemy building, stables, a pub, and a blacksmiths. Oh, and a castle of course!

I think that the way TS4 is coded it would be possible to have a medieval style world roughly the size of Granite Falls or Forgotten Hollow, and have inactive visiting Sims switch into appropriate clothing when in that setting. So that the features don't spill out into other worlds unless the player wants them. And the theme of 'ren faire' means that more modern features, like phones, aren't too much of an issue.

I really liked TSM and I could definitely use a lot of the features in my main game. I'd love a blacksmith career! And pottery!

I liked TSM a lot, too. The blacksmith was one of my favorite heroes. He/She was really fun to watch at the forge. From what I understand, there are modern blacksmiths, but they are artists that work the fairs and conventions. I don't know much about it, but it sounds interesting.

And I think you're right about being able to have a medieval world with the way TS4 does their neighborhoods. I hope it's closer in size to Granite Falls, though. I don't have Vampires yet, but Forgotten Hollow looks small, comparatively speaking. On the other hand, Granite Falls has a lot of empty space, so maybe they are more comparable than it looks like.
  • Options
    isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
    A renaissance fair would be awesome! It'd be a good way to get in medieval content without going so far as to time travel (which I admit would be awesome but there's other points in time I'd rather see for TS4) I love the giant turkey leg idea! It would be cool to have more vendors selling crafts, flowers, candles, potions, etc.

Some new instruments would be neat too (harp, lute, horn, drum) and a way to craft jewelry from metals and gems. Also, masquarades might be a cool addition, and tents for vendors or sims to sleep in. Maybe a History skill (like the Vampire lore skill) and a semi-combat style skill for fighting/sword fighting or an Aim skill for archery, axe throwing, or fair games (or throwing objects at other sims)
  • Options
    isaiahzay wrote: »
    A renaissance fair would be awesome! It'd be a good way to get in medieval content without going so far as to time travel (which I admit would be awesome but there's other points in time I'd rather see for TS4) I love the giant turkey leg idea! It would be cool to have more vendors selling crafts, flowers, candles, potions, etc.

Some new instruments would be neat too (harp, lute, horn, drum) and a way to craft jewelry from metals and gems. Also, masquarades might be a cool addition, and tents for vendors or sims to sleep in. Maybe a History skill (like the Vampire lore skill) and a semi-combat style skill for fighting/sword fighting or an Aim skill for archery, axe throwing, or fair games (or throwing objects at other sims)

Great ideas!

Another idea to make it more fair-like would be to perhaps have either jugglers or jesters, like some of the street performers in City Living.

Thanks everyone for participating! This has been a fun brainstorm session. :)
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I love all of these ideas!! All of them!! :smiley:
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Aflutter wrote: »
    Any thoughts?
    Yes
    I'm already imagining food stands with enormous turkey legs.
    NO!!!! Turkey legs are not medieval food!!!!.
    Saracens heads, on the other hand, are a really strange, very real, medieval food. It's a pie. Also, the name of a few pubs.

But yeah, other than the silly bird legs, I like this idea.

An archery range could make for a new, intresting addition to the game.
    Wood chopping.
    Wind instruments would be nice.
    But a lute would be easier to add, since it would use the same animation as the guitar.
    Acrobatics and juggling would be animations that could easily be recycled into a non-medieval entertainer
    A pie baking contest

As for foods, from food vendors
    Pies, both savory and sweet
    Barley brew
    Apple ferment
    Peasant stew, kings roast and ploughmans lunch.

It could be good as a vacation game pack, with medieval style tents as the accomodation, or a hotel that looks like a castle.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    MartinvMartinv Posts: 254 Member
    edited February 2017
    I love these ideas. Now let's see ... “Are you going to Scarborough Fair? " Oops got a little sidetracked a bit. I liked the archery range from the Sims 3. I would also like to see a lot or world with all those items.
    Post edited by Martinv on
  • Options
    Shybug91Shybug91 Posts: 30 Member
    Aflutter wrote: »
    I was thinking about how the game packs have a central theme and was thinking about medieval/historical challenges at the same time, so I came up with this idea. I think a renaissance fair game pack could be a lot of fun. It would bring medieval themed items into the game without conflicting with the modern aspects of the game and it would add to the already existing festival system we got in City Living. I'm already imagining food stands with enormous turkey legs.

Any thoughts? What other things could be in a pack like this?

I think its a great idea and i'd for sure buy it. its funny, as i was reading, i was thinking to myself how it could just be a festival update too for city living. just add the ren fair to geekcon, romance festival, etc.