Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family player, arent annoyed by child-teen transition?

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Well, since for me the Child stage has always contained the years that most people associate with being a pre-teen/tween (11-13) and the average girl reaches her full adult height at somewhere between the ages of 14 and 16 anyway...nah. The Child to Teen transition in this game doesn't really bother me. There really are teenagers who are as tall or taller than adults when they're in high school. My older brother, for example, was already an "adult" height when he was about 15. He's a pretty tall guy at about 6-foot-3 or 6-foot-4 (193.04 or 198.12 centimeters) as an adult and as a newborn he needed clothes sized for 4-6-month-olds (he was very long). The size isn't the issue. They just need a few more unique interactions and events.

There ARE such tall teens, yes. But not all teenagers are as tall (EXACTLY as tall in this case, too) as their parents. In my class for example the heights range from 1.85 metres down to about 1.6 metres. Some are smaller than their parents, some aren't. It really isn't the same for everyone and that should be considered for teens in Sims 4 too.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    I hate teens in the sims 4. Love them in the sims 2 and 3. They aren't teens in the sims 4, just adults that happen to go to school instead of a job.IMG_1311.jpg]

One of these is an adult, her daughter is a teen. The fact the teen looks older than her adult mother disturbs me. It ruins immersion for me and it's difficult as a storyteller. For me the issues aren't the fact they are the same height. It's more than that.

Is the one on the right the adult?

No that's the teenager. The sim on the left is her mum who just aged to adult. I tried different combinations to make the Mum look older and the teen look younger but not no matter what, she still looked older than her Mum. Perhaps with cc it would be possible?

But once my kids become teens I lose interest. I feel too spoiled by the sims 2 and 3 teens.

I never had this happening to me. Don't get me wrong, I do think teenagers sometimes look way too old, but I never had a problem where a teen would look older than their adult parent, at least not in such a glaring way. Either way, I edit them in CAS a bit and I always manage to make the teen look younger. For example, the hair and clothes you use on both those sims should be reversed, at least in my opinion.

Here's an example. The mother is very similar to the teenage daughter, but simply changing the hair, clothes and makeup made a huge difference. I can easily tell who's the teenage girl and who's the adult.

pk309us.png

sbwsQmZ.png

If I wanted, I could make the mother even more old looking. I do use CC, not sure if that helps or not. But there are plenty of clothes and hair in the game that can easily distinguish a teen from an adult, at least in my experience. So this is why the appearance is not the biggest problem for me, because I can work around it in CAS. It's the gameplay that people should be the most worried about anyway, because right now, playing with a teen it's like playing with a second version of YA.

Obviously I wouldn't mind if EA would make teens shorter and more young looking, but right now, I would prefer to have another lifestage (preteens/young teens) than changing the way the current teens are right now, because I got used to the idea of them looking older than in previous games, I see them as teens in their late teenage years and that's fine. They still need unique interactions and activities, because even if they are older, they are still teens, there has to be some boundaries to what they are allowed to do. Or at least we should have options to make those boundaries ourselves (optional grounding system for example).
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,618 Member
    It bothers me a lot. I guess I'm fussy :p

I would like sims of a height that it mid-way between child and teen. So, maybe 9-12 age range. I can't tell the difference between teens and adults so it is very jarring for me when a child ages up. Just as bad as baby to child was.

@elanorbreton This would be Middle School Kids. Those are perfect between child and older teens. They can be 12-15. That is when boys voices are changing, girls start to develop into their figures, etc. Also perfect for ache and moody teens/preteens. This is the stage where they don't want to be seen with their parents, not wanting to play with their toys anymore (even though deep down inside they probably still do), because it is embarrassing, and begging for cellphones and other electronics because "everyone else has one". This stage is really needed.

I'm sure the Devs know this is needed, but I guess either it'll come with Gen EP or maybe they just can't do it? Either way we will never know until it comes.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.