Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We should be able to go to school with our kids and teens....

TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
edited January 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Right now, school is just some place we send our kids off to for a couple hours. No fun gameplay there.

Here are my ideas

-sims can pass or flunk classes and if their grades are failing they have to go to summer school .
- your overall gpa from elementary to HS determines what college you get into.
- There is a community college and an ivy league college.
- Pupils with good grades are rewarded
- There should be educational skills that determine how good your sim does their homework assignments.
(coninued) The higher their educational skill, the higher their grades will be. Lower educational skill = lower grades.

- pop quizzes
- graduation ceremonies

Oh and if i wasnt clear the first time around, i would like to "literally" go to class with my simmies. Not just have them go away for 7-8 hours :)

Post edited by TDU90 on

Comments

• Options
    Samagirl478Samagirl478 Posts: 51 Member
    I like that. It doesn't seem like bad vs good grade affect too much, so I think it would be cool to have more negative or positive affects.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    You could choose which child to go to school with, like you do in "get to work". But even if you do not go to school with your sim their grades will be impacted by their educational skill level.

You build educational skill by studying.

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I find your use of the term college to be odd.
    Colleges here are either private schools, or senior schools.
    And summer school is a odd concept... unless you mean for uni students?
    The only 'summer school' that my school had, was swimming lessons in the summer holidays.
    And what the heck are "pop quizzes"?
    your overall gpa from elementary to HS determines what college you get into.
    Is that really how school works in the US? How odd!
    Downunder, the system is usually a lot more focused, your senior school (years 11 and 12) subject choices impact what you can study at uni, and then how well you do in said subjects impacts whether or not you get into uni. And a uni is a uni is a uni, for the most part. I don't even get what your ivy league is meant to be about. Very few aussies even bother with interstate unis, cos the ones in your home state are just as good as the ones in other states. People usually only go interstate if the course isn't available in your home state.

But other than that, yes, a pack a bit like get to work, with a primary school, a secondary school, and a uni (or whatever tertiary education facility), would be nice.
    AND!!!! The education career!

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    I find your use of the term college to be odd.
    Colleges here are either private schools, or senior schools.
    And summer school is a odd concept... unless you mean for uni students?
    The only 'summer school' that my school had, was swimming lessons in the summer holidays.
    And what the heck are "pop quizzes"?
    your overall gpa from elementary to HS determines what college you get into.
    Is that really how school works in the US? How odd!
    Downunder, the system is usually a lot more focused, your senior school (years 11 and 12) subject choices impact what you can study at uni, and then how well you do in said subjects impacts whether or not you get into uni. And a uni is a uni is a uni, for the most part. I don't even get what your ivy league is meant to be about. Very few aussies even bother with interstate unis, cos the ones in your home state are just as good as the ones in other states. People usually only go interstate if the course isn't available in your home state.

But other than that, yes, a pack a bit like get to work, with a primary school, a secondary school, and a uni (or whatever tertiary education facility), would be nice.
    AND!!!! The education career!

Im from the USA. Here, if you fail the year, you have the option of summer school to pass and make up.

Im not familiar with your school system there so i cant comment on any of that.

Pop quiz= tests that teachers surprise students with that may help boost their grade

Ivy league schools here are upper class college institutions for the super smart and sometimes rich. Not just anybody can go to an upper echelon college.

College here in America is higher learning. Thats what wecall the education received past high school.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I wouldn't want to go with my teen to school. Maybe I would with a child if there was like a school play(i could see) or something like that. We really need a school expansion.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to go with my teen to school. Maybe I would with a child if there was like a school play(i could see) or something like that. We really need a school expansion.

I like the idea of a recess. Afterschool activities.
  • Options
    Internal_ChaosInternal_Chaos Posts: 66 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »
    Right now, school is just some place we send our kids off to for a couple hours. No fun gameplay there.

Here are my ideas

-sims can pass or flunk classes and if their grades are failing they have to go to summer school .
    - There should be educational skills that determine how good your sim does their homework assignments.
    (coninued) The higher their educational skill, the higher their grades will be. Lower educational skill = lower grades.

- pop quizzes
    - graduation ceremonies

Oh and if i wasnt clear the first time around, i would like to "literally" go to class with my simmies. Not just have them go away for 7-8 hours :)

This is literally what I have been wanting since I started playing Sims.
    Gallery Username: Internal_Chaos
  • Options
    OceanRose56OceanRose56 Posts: 47 Member
    These are great ideas! I think it would help further flesh out our kid and teen sims' personalities if we could follow them to school and see how they do in their classes and interact with their peers. I would like to see them go to prom and maybe participate in activities like sports instead of just disappearing every day :)
    32526440414_e719483cf8_n.jpg

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I would rather NOT follow our sims to school not unless its recess, lunch or before/after school or like @StrawberryYogurt says "clubs" like a drama club putting on a play. I mean can you imagine how boring that would be after awhile? do tests, study, do test, study? I would rather follow my sims to a boarding school like in HP.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Bradyman6Bradyman6 Posts: 39 Member
    I have generally been in favor of ‘Going to School’ with a sim regardless of their age. Being in control of your sim’s life at school can bring wondrous memories. That is if the idea is thoroughly thought out properly. If the developers were to release such content to the public, they would have to go deep into conversation as to what would make this expansion interesting and worth playing. What are the key ingredients to make this expansion a $40.00 value, the thought of going to school or the interesting aspects of going to school?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I would rather NOT follow our sims to school not unless its recess, lunch or before/after school or like @StrawberryYogurt says "clubs" like a drama club putting on a play. I mean can you imagine how boring that would be after awhile? do tests, study, do test, study? I would rather follow my sims to a boarding school like in HP.

This thread is for anybody who WOULD like to go to school with their sims and their ideas for this potential add on to the game.

Not to be rude, but other simmers that did comment before you also said they would also like to see this feature. And its not all about what you would like to see all the time.. I dont play supernatural but i also dont discourage anyone else from wanting to play that way.
  • Options

Here are my ideas

- pop quizzes
    - graduation ceremonies

This is literally what I have been wanting since I started playing Sims.

Me too :smile: since sims 2
  • Options

This thread is for anybody who WOULD like to go to school with their sims and their ideas for this potential add on to the game.

Not to be rude, but other simmers that did comment before you also said they would also like to see this feature. And its not all about what you would like to see all the time.. I dont play supernatural but i also dont discourage anyone else from wanting to play that way.

you do realize you have to expect feedback from people who don't want it as well? Just because some people want it doesn't mean EVERYONE wants it. Have you tried Zerbu's school Mod? See how boring it is after awhile
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    How about you follow how Sims 3 university how the students went and did a lecture either they slept took notes or asked questions well in high they could sleep with the option of getting caught, take notes which later help them with homework, ask questions, pass notes but risk getting caught and have an embarrassef moodlet because the teacher read the note out loud, and take test and risks getting caught and failing for the day it so many times you get caught cheating on test until finally teacher will lower your actual grade.
    And also students can work on skill to give them scholarship to get into college.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2017

you do realize you have to expect feedback from people who don't want it as well? Just because some people want it doesn't mean EVERYONE wants it. Have you tried Zerbu's school Mod? See how boring it is after awhile

I assume that the request is for a pack, not for a base-game overhaul. I also think that an in-house designed pack would be less boring. It wouldn't have to use only the existing career system; it could develop new systems. It wouldn't have to use existing animations and objects; it could have lots of new animations and objects. So... what would make active school more fun for you than the mod is?

FWIW, this is a pack I've wanted a long time. I haven't bothered with the mod because I'm not interested in just seeing more of what we already have.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    interesting maybe a go to school game pack perhaps..? :) after following my sims to class in the ts3 i have to say i'm not really interested in a remake of that concept but if they flesh it out like this i could see myself enjoying it.
  • Options

I didnt say everyone had to have it. It could be optional. I prefer not to play with vampires and stuff so i wouldnt buy supernatural. But i wouldnt protest a supernatural game purely because its something i dont want.

Not understanding why you dont want others to have features that they like.

• Options
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    How about you follow how Sims 3 university how the students went and did a lecture either they slept took notes or asked questions well in high they could sleep with the option of getting caught, take notes which later help them with homework, ask questions, pass notes but risk getting caught and have an embarrassef moodlet because the teacher read the note out loud, and take test and risks getting caught and failing for the day it so many times you get caught cheating on test until finally teacher will lower your actual grade.
    And also students can work on skill to give them scholarship to get into college.

Cool idea. I would like a play area at the school too, for kids to go during recess or even skip class ;)
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »

Cool idea. I would like a play area at the school too, for kids to go during recess or even skip class ;)

Yup that would be great
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I think this is a wonderful idea!
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    I do like the idea..but do you really want to be seeing the same things day after day, after day? I mean wouldn't you get bored after awhile? I mean study, tests, gossip, study, lunch. and for children recesses. basketball (only thing gym-like I could think of). Rinse and repeat for 10 generations+?

Maybe this EP/GP could include what's called here in Canada, PA days don't know what they're called in U.S. students get a day off (usually Fridays) from school (either elementary or high school but sometimes both get the day off) but professional (ie "full-time" teachers don't get the day off but have to go to work for a meeting/preparing for the next week). Would the kids stay mostly in one classroom (with the exception of gym and music ) in elementary school? or would they go to different classrooms?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I actually prefer not following my sims to school/work. Them disappearing off the lot gets them out of my hair for a bit, haha.

But if it's optional like the careers, I'd be cool with it. I like the active careers, although tbh I found the ones in TS3 to be more entertaining than the ones that came with GTW. If they do allow us to follow our sims to school someday, I hope it'll feel less repetitive than GTW.
  • Options
    I'm basing this on the stereotypes of middle-schools in U.S. (I never went one in my town-my elemtnary school want from JK-Gr.8) how about each day is about different subjects?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Im from the USA. Here, if you fail the year, you have the option of summer school to pass and make up.
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that here.
    If you fail, you redo the year, in the following year.

Universities have summer school, for some subjects, but it's not really for a do over, its just extra classes people do for fun, or to fill some gaps in their course, or because they want to improve their education for the workplace.
    Im not familiar with your school system there so i cant comment on any of that.
    And I'm not familiar with yours, which is why I don't really understand a lot of what you're talking about.

So I'll try to explain again, how it works here.
    If you want to study in a field of science at uni, you need to be studying a similar field in senior school (years 11 and 12, aka the final two years of highschool), and usually a lot of maths too, and all at the higher level (typically there are two branches of maths, one is science related, the other is business related).
    In my state:
    You also need to complete your highschool certificate (this is a certain criteria of subjects, which you must complete to graduate from year 12)
    You also need a a competitive Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank, which I guess is similar to your GPA
    And you need an achievement score of C- or better for prerequisite subjects (as in the mentioned subjects in the right field for what you plan to apply to study at uni)
    But each of the states here have slightly different reqirements, which is probably another reason why a lot of people don't bother with trying to go to uni outside of their own state (NT excluded).

Basically, you decide if you want to go to uni, and what you want to study, before you even enter year 11, and you plan your subject selection around that. There is no point in doing art, drama, photography and wood work in your senior school years if you want to become a doctor.
    Pop quiz= tests that teachers surprise students with that may help boost their grade
    Never had anything like it in my life.
    We always got forewarned of tests, so that we could study for them.
    If you want to boost your grade here, you complete your assignments, and get them in on time, and study for, turn up for, and complete your end of year exams.
    Ivy league schools here are upper class college institutions for the super smart and sometimes rich. Not just anybody can go to an upper echelon college.
    I don't get it.
    Many of our universities are of similar rank to your ivy league, yet anyone has a chance to attend them. If you get high enough grades for the right subjects that relate to the course you plan to study at uni, you should be able to get in. How much money you have should have nothing to do with it.
    The uni you go to doesn't make any real difference to the cost, it's the course you choose that is likely to alter how much it costs you.

College here in America is higher learning. Thats what wecall the education received past high school.
    University and TAFE are for higher learning in Australia, or tertiary learning, as we also call it, since you don't enter it until you have completed secondary education.

I think even the UK has a similar meaning for college to what Australia has, as in the senior school, aka the final two years of high school.
    But they also have yet another meaning, which is a specific branch of a University.

I would rather NOT follow our sims to school
    I think the whole point is to have it optional, like GTW. You're not forced to follow your sim to work every day, so you wouldn't be forced to follow them to school every day either.

It would be nice to be able to follow your teen to their school dance.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif